Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-15-2003, 02:44 AM   #1
Janice
God Bless America
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Question Inside Jokes or References?

Are there any inside jokes or personal references incorporated into the show? I thought I caught one recently....Roseanne made a joke about winning an Emmy or something. I don't know the in's and out's of the show, so it flew over my head, but I had a feeling it had a double meaning.

I know Roseanne took heat about her rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner....I'm not trying to resurrect any dirt, but did she make a reference to it on her show?

I know she and Tom had a nasty divorce during the show's run. Something tells me that Roseanne wouldn't be able to hold herself back on that one, lol.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
Brad
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
Forum Veteran

During the end credits of one episode, an out-of-character Laurie Metcalf sits in the Conner living room set and hums "Hooray For Hollywood" while polishing the Emmy she just won. As she's doing this, Roseanne sits beside her and glares (she never won the coveted TV trophy). It's been a long time since I've seen the episode, so I can't remember what happened after that.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
db108108
Teacher (for now)

I remember that tag.

At the beginning of the third season, the first episode, Roseanne walsk into the kitchen and says "It's such a beautiful. I just makes me want to sing!" Of course, the audience got the joke. That's the only reference to the singing I can remember.

There's the chicken shirt, which in the last episode of the 5th season everybody wore. It was introduced in the second season during the muscial episode in which Roseanne is put on trial for killing her family. Becky wears the shirt, if you'll notice. Everybody on the set just thought the shirt was so hideously ugly that they couldn't not include it.

There was also the inside jokes about the two Becky's which is discussed at length on this board.
db108108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
db108108
Teacher (for now)

Oh about the emmy- that was early in the fourth season. Roseanne glares at Laurie and then starts to chase her around the set. It was hilarious.
db108108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:13 PM   #5
Janice
God Bless America
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by db108108
There was also the inside jokes about the two Becky's which is discussed at length on this board.
Can you give me one or two examples or direct me to where I can read about them?
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
bubblegum
Roseanne Fan
Forum Regular

When Lecy returns in the eighth season Roseanne comments where have you been? Well it seems like you've been gone for three years. Later Darlene asks Where have you been? Becky replys why is everyone asking me that.

There is the joke when they are watching Bewitched
Roseanne: I cannot believe they replaced that Darrin.
Jackie: Well it was a hit show they knew they could get away with anything.
Becky (Sarah): Well I liked the second Darrin much better.
You can listen to this at N@N website in the Conner Family Album. http://www.tvland.com/nickatnite/shows/roseanne/

In season 5 Jackie talks about a loose meat sandwich place in Iowa. In real life Tom Arnold and Roseanne owned a diner/ loose meat restaurant in Iowa.

Roseanne mentions in Season nine to Jerry: its so crazy it seems like a weird woman made it up.
bubblegum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 04:43 PM   #7
Janice
God Bless America
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by bubblegum
There is the joke when they are watching Bewitched
Roseanne: I cannot believe they replaced that Darrin.
Jackie: Well it was a hit show they knew they could get away with anything.
Becky (Sarah): Well I liked the second Darrin much better.
You can listen to this at N@N website in the Conner Family Album. http://www.tvland.com/nickatnite/shows/roseanne/
That's hilarious.

Thanks for the link to that website. I haven't looked it over thoroughly, but it looks like fun, especially to a newbie like me who wants to learn about the show.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Tyler77
Frequent Poster

There was also another reference to Roseanne's singing abilities in the episode here Roseanne brings Becky's Home Economics class to the supermarket on a "field trip." As Roseanne and the students are in the checkout line, one of the girls was looking over the tabloids and says "My goodness, that woman is on the cover of these magazines every week!" Roseanne says "But I heard she's a heck of a singer!"
Tyler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 04:26 AM   #9
flagler
Frequent Poster

I am pretty sure the emmy tag was during the fifth season cause Laurie won in 1992 and Roseanne was convinced she would win too but didn't until 1993.

Also in season four I think the commercial episode when Roseanne is bummed about not being in the commercial Jackie tells her to cheer up and Roseanne says Yeah it's not like I was ever going to win an emmy or nothing. (not exact quote)
flagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #10
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

In the episode where Roseanne tries setting Crystal up with some guy, only to find out Crystal is with Dan's father, there's a scene where everyone's all sitting around the kitchen table eating dinner. The guy who Roseanne brought over in hopes of setting up with Crystal asks Dan something to the effect of: so who is the maker of your kitchen table? To which Dan replies: I'm not sure, I think his name is Garvin Eddy or something. Well, if you look at the ending credits for each episode, one of the shows Producers is named Garvin Eddy. That's one of the more subtle, and less obvious inside jokes Iv'e seen.

Also, as Tyler 77 said, there was another reference to Roseanne's National Anthem fiasco in the Home Ec. episode. The exact dialogue was: That woman is on the cover of like everyone of these magazines, as Roseanne replies: Yeah, but she's a damn good singer though. That scene always cracks me up.

I also heard from this board I believe, that as an inside joke, the cast would put funny, and amusing photos in the refrigerator to amuse themselves everytime they opened it. But I can't confirm whether that's true or not.
St. John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Currently my favorite song.
Brad Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:47 PM   #11
Janice
God Bless America
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by flagler
Also in season four I think the commercial episode when Roseanne is bummed about not being in the commercial Jackie tells her to cheer up and Roseanne says Yeah it's not like I was ever going to win an emmy or nothing. (not exact quote)
That's the Emmy reference I was referring to when I started this page.

I'm surprised nobody is coming up with any jokes about Tom Arnold. He got a lot of criticism for making a fat joke about Roseanne during an award's ceremony after they split.
If I recall, he publicly apologized.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:29 PM   #12
Superbatboy
The Brandon Show
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by db108108
I remember that tag.

At the beginning of the third season, the first episode, Roseanne walsk into the kitchen and says "It's such a beautiful. I just makes me want to sing!" Of course, the audience got the joke. That's the only reference to the singing I can remember.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never knew that was a reference to the singing incident. I guess you do learn something new everyday.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:29 PM   #13
Janice
God Bless America
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by Superbatboy
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never knew that was a reference to the singing incident. I guess you do learn something new everyday.
I guess we do. The thing is, the reference was topical and coming on the heels of Roseanne's singing debacle, which was so fresh in everyone's mind at the time.

It made sense back then, but a decade or so later, the timeline blurs, and the connection is easily missed.

I saw the episode a few week's ago, and it went over my head like a 747. I'm glad I know now for when the episode is aired again.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:37 PM   #14
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by Janice
That's the Emmy reference I was referring to when I started this page.

I'm surprised nobody is coming up with any jokes about Tom Arnold. He got a lot of criticism for making a fat joke about Roseanne during an award's ceremony after they split.
If I recall, he publicly apologized.
Oddly, I don't recall a single joke being made about Tom Arnold after he left the show. Knowing Roseanne, you'd think she would have gotten some kind of retaliation for the things he was saying about her. I know she makes lots of jokes about him in her nightclub act, but she never really did on the show. The only thing I can think of as to why she didn't retaliate, is maybe she was so disgusted with him, that she didn't want to give him any extra publicity. That's the only reason I can think of as to why she never really retaliated.
Brad Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:14 AM   #15
Janice
God Bless America
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally posted by mdntrider7
The only thing I can think of as to why she didn't retaliate, is maybe she was so disgusted with him, that she didn't want to give him any extra publicity. That's the only reason I can think of as to why she never really retaliated.
That makes perfect sense to me mdntrider. She took the high road, and figured she had already made him famous enough.

For a couple who were once so in love that they were tattooing each other's names on their butts, they got mighty bitter.