Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Mom

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox 2021-22 Updates Includes Comedy News; ABC Renews Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 for 2021-22, NBC Orders Dark Comedy Pilot
Netflix Sitcom The Upshaws Premieres on Wednesday (May 12); Hallmark Channel Sitcom Schedule Changes
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 10, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Trailer Released for Upcoming Rugrats Reboot; Final Airdate Set for Conan
Fri-Yay: Rolling Stone's 100 Best Sitcoms of All Time; Marion Cunningham Greatest Classic TV Mom in New Poll
E! Reunites TV Casts in Reunion Road Trip; Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Mr. Corman on Apple TV+
COZI TV's Roseanne Mother's Day Mom Genes Marathon; Conan's Final TBS Episode to Air June 24

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-May)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #46
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
People get attached to actors/ characters. There are some that feel like an extension to your family and I can understand why he’s feeling bad she can’t even comeback for one Ep to send her off properly.
Yeah, that would have been nice.

Did anyone get to see the first new episode? In my area, the show was preempted by CBS News.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #47
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward216 View Post
Wow, it's Anna Faris's life and it's her career. You do realize actors don't have to stay on a show just to please you right?

Ed.
It's not about pleasing; it's about respect for the fans who continued watching for them. When an actor takes on a TV role and gains popularity, they owe their fans respect of finishing that character properly. Anna spent 7 years building a big fanbase and for her to just walk away without trying to work on a proper finish for the fans is a slap in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Did anyone get to see the first new episode? In my area, the show was preempted by CBS News.
I saw it. The show really feels like The Golden Girls or The Facts of Life because it's focused on the friendship of women. I thought it was funny. The women had a slumber party for Tammy and there were a lot of laughs. I didn't really notice Christy's absence because the show's focus the last couple of seasons has been on Bonnie's friendship with Tammy. Tammy had a big storyline planned in the episode with receiving a call from her father. Bonnie was her support. I have no doubt we'll be seeing this play out this season because we've already seen her aunt. I'm sure her father will make an appearance. I would love it if it was John Lithgow. That would be an awesome TV reunion.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #48
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
It's not about pleasing; it's about respect for the fans who continued watching for them. When an actor takes on a TV role and gains popularity, they owe their fans respect of finishing that character properly. Anna spent 7 years building a big fanbase and for her to just walk away without trying to work on a proper finish for the fans is a slap in the face.
It definitely feels so sudden, without any closure.

Quote:
I saw it. The show really feels like The Golden Girls or The Facts of Life because it's focused on the friendship of women. I thought it was funny. The women had a slumber party for Tammy and there were a lot of laughs. I didn't really notice Christy's absence because the show's focus the last couple of seasons has been on Bonnie's friendship with Tammy. Tammy had a big storyline planned in the episode with receiving a call from her father. Bonnie was her support. I have no doubt we'll be seeing this play out this season because we've already seen her aunt. I'm sure her father will make an appearance. I would love it if it was John Lithgow. That would be an awesome TV reunion.
Thanks! I recorded all the shows afterwards, so I'll check today to see if it got recorded.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #49
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
It definitely feels so sudden, without any closure.
I will say her exit in the first few minutes was sudden. They right away start the episode with "bam!" this character is gone and how. I didn't care for that. I would have preferred they started the episode normally and then part way through casually mention she's gone and what happened. It also would have kept fans who only watched to see how they wrote her out to stay longer trying to hook them than to give them a reason to change the channel after the first couple of minutes. I think the show will be fine without Anna because it's an ensemble cast show. Hopefully others will feel the same and stick with it.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #50
TMC
Forum Celebrity

How Mom wrote off Anna Faris' character

"It was important to us that Christy moved on to bigger things," showrunner Gemma Baker tells EW of Faris' Christy. "Quite often when people are in recovery their lives get bigger in ways they couldn’t before have imagined. And so that will be the case for Christy. She has been working toward her dreams for a while now and we feel like the audience will be happy for her. The character of Christy will live on and we will continue to get updates on what she is up to and how her moving on will affect Bonnie."
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #51
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Location: SEA, Napa, Lanford, NY | BOS, Cord d'Cours, Stars Hollow, Sunnydale | Twin Peaks, BAL, Deadwood, Dillon, KY

Nicely played by the authors.
We know she's okay and they left the door open for her return if Anna changes idea!

I was really pleased by the episode, and will continue to watch even if I know I'll miss Christy.
Twin Peaks, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, Battlestar Galactica, The X-Files
-
Frasier Crane, Niles Crane, Martin Crane, Dale Cooper, Fox Mulder
Christy Plunkett, Ally McBeal, Buffy Summers, Rory Gilmore, Roseanne Conner
-
David E. Kelley, David Milch, Amy Sherman, Bryan Fuller, Steven Bochco
principehomura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #52
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

My DVR did indeed record the episode, so I got to see it despite it being preempted. I feel like the writing out was handled respectfully, and hope Anna will make occasional guest appearances. If we can't get her, can we at least get Rosco and Violet?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #53
Lorimar Television

Quote:
My DVR did indeed record the episode, so I got to see it despite it being preempted. I feel like the writing out was handled respectfully, and hope Anna will make occasional guest appearances. If we can't get her, can we at least get Rosco and Violet?
Glad you got to see it! I agree, Christy was written off well, and even called at the end, that was cute. Hope the show can keep it up.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #54
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Allison Janney on filming Mom without Anna Faris: "It was very odd, and she’s very missed"

"Anna is missed, and her character on the show is missed,” Janney said on today's Ellen show. “We’re just happy that she’s doing what she wants to do now, and we’re happy even more so that we’re able to tell these stories about these great women in recovery. And I think there have been some really wonderful characters that have been established, and people love the show, so we’re going to keep telling the stories as long as we can.”
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:07 AM   #55
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Allison Janney on filming Mom without Anna Faris: "It was very odd, and she’s very missed"

"Anna is missed, and her character on the show is missed,” Janney said on today's Ellen show. “We’re just happy that she’s doing what she wants to do now, and we’re happy even more so that we’re able to tell these stories about these great women in recovery. And I think there have been some really wonderful characters that have been established, and people love the show, so we’re going to keep telling the stories as long as we can.”
The show is not as good as it was with Anna there, but I am still enjoying it. It's like Happy Days without Richie.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:15 AM   #56
Christopher
Forum Veteran

CBS isn't helping matters with the schedule the show is on for new episodes. I forgot Mom was new last week. I caught the episode last weekend. The Jill / Andy drama isn't doing the show any favors. The show was fine when it started the first few episodes. It seemed like everyone had equal airtime for fans to connect with and it was still about the women's friendship. Now it's all about Jill's breakup and that's not worth watching right away. The boyfriend drama needs to go so the show can focus on the girls friendship again. That's what has kept fans sticking around the last 5 or so years.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #57
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
CBS isn't helping matters with the schedule the show is on for new episodes. I forgot Mom was new last week. I caught the episode last weekend. The Jill / Andy drama isn't doing the show any favors. The show was fine when it started the first few episodes. It seemed like everyone had equal airtime for fans to connect with and it was still about the women's friendship. Now it's all about Jill's breakup and that's not worth watching right away. The boyfriend drama needs to go so the show can focus on the girls friendship again. That's what has kept fans sticking around the last 5 or so years.
I agree that the Jill break-up storyline is a little weak. They do need to focus more on the friendships between the ladies.

You are right about the schedule being very weird. We are in February and only seven new episodes have aired. They were even re-airing episodes from last season. What network does that?! Are they only producing 13 episodes this season?
Old 02-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #58
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Since Mom is canceled, I'll just wait to finish season 8 this summer. I don't know how many episodes they're making this year. It's a shame the show is ending in an unusual season. They definitely deserved a full final season with 22 episodes plus the two episodes we were shorten last season.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #59
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Since Mom is canceled, I'll just wait to finish season 8 this summer. I don't know how many episodes they're making this year. It's a shame the show is ending in an unusual season. They definitely deserved a full final season with 22 episodes plus the two episodes we were shorten last season.
Wait... cancelled?! Oh, dang, it's true.

Very sad, but I guess all good shows must come to an end.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:34 PM   #60
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Wait... cancelled?! Oh, dang, it's true.

Very sad, but I guess all good shows must come to an end.
Yeah, I started a thread about it. Surprisingly the ratings are pretty good for Mom even after losing Anna. I wonder if this is like Buffy and it's the cast deciding to end the show rather than CBS?