Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Mom

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Billy Porter and More Join The Proud Family Revival; HBO Max Orders Gordita Chronicles
FXX Orders Animated Comedy Little Demon; The CW to Revive Legends of the Hidden Temple
Fox 2021-22 Updates Includes Comedy News; ABC Renews Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 for 2021-22, NBC Orders Dark Comedy Pilot
Netflix Sitcom The Upshaws Premieres on Wednesday (May 12); Hallmark Channel Sitcom Schedule Changes
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 10, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Trailer Released for Upcoming Rugrats Reboot; Final Airdate Set for Conan
Fri-Yay: Rolling Stone's 100 Best Sitcoms of All Time; Marion Cunningham Greatest Classic TV Mom in New Poll

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-May)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #16
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
According to Wikipedia, Anna is 43. Was she playing a younger character? I never watched the show.
Not really. Her daughter Violet was grown and moved out after the first few seasons.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #17
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
The difference between Mom and L&S is that Mom is an ensemble cast show where L&S was a duo cast show. There's still other main characters the show can bring into the front burner to ease the lost of Christy with Mom. L&S didn't have that. Penny had to carry the weight of the show. Allison will at least have the other four actresses of Mom to help her.
I see what you're saying, but the crux of the show was always the relationship between Christy and Bonnie, much like the relationship betweenLaverne and Shirley. I have no doubt that the writers can write Jill, Marjorie, Wendy, and Tammy more scenes... but without Christy, I think the show is likely to lose a lot of its momentum.

A major element of the show was the back-and-forth between Christy and her mom, much like Laverne and Shirley: the fighting and the love. Without that, the show will lose a big part of what made the show work.

Quote:
My only hope is that Anna will come back at some point this season to give the character a proper ending.
That would be nice. Maybe they could bring back Violet and Roscoe, too. I'd love to see the family reunited.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:16 AM   #18
Yong Fang

It was mentioned that Kristy was 40. She seems younger than that. The character is actually a grandmother and Bonnie a great grandmother but since the kids were dropped, this has been more or less forgotten.

I wonder how the show will write her out, since she was the main character of the show?
Some choices.....

A. Dead? That would be very depressing and would probably hurt somewhat the syndication of the show.

B. Relapse? This would be an interesting result but it wouldnít explain her absence. Kristy going to prison would be a bummer also.

C. She moves across the country or to another country. This is plausible I guess but she was in college to study law and had her waiting job and other things and had friends and roots where she lived so this doesnít make sense also.

But it doesnít make any sense to me why Anna Farris would leave a top rated show where she was probably making $10 million dollars a year. Movies are a bit more lucrative but this would be a huge gamble. I donít know if people like her realize how utterly LUCKY they are to have their roles in these shows, she was a nothing before this series began. There are lots of women just as talented as she is who are actually waiting tables and doing off broadway and dinner theater chasing a dream.

This sucks because Mom is one of my favorite current shows BUT also I think the show is on the wane anyway.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:55 AM   #19
SledgeBarone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang View Post
But it doesnít make any sense to me why Anna Farris would leave a top rated show where she was probably making $10 million dollars a year. Movies are a bit more lucrative but this would be a huge gamble. I donít know if people like her realize how utterly LUCKY they are to have their roles in these shows, she was a nothing before this series began. There are lots of women just as talented as she is who are actually waiting tables and doing off broadway and dinner theater chasing a dream.
??? She had top billing in the movie House Bunny in 2008, which grossed $48 million in the USA and $70 million worldwide.
SledgeBarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I see what you're saying, but the crux of the show was always the relationship between Christy and Bonnie, much like the relationship betweenLaverne and Shirley. I have no doubt that the writers can write Jill, Marjorie, Wendy, and Tammy more scenes... but without Christy, I think the show is likely to lose a lot of its momentum.

A major element of the show was the back-and-forth between Christy and her mom, much like Laverne and Shirley: the fighting and the love. Without that, the show will lose a big part of what made the show work.

That would be nice. Maybe they could bring back Violet and Roscoe, too. I'd love to see the family reunited.
When Marcia Cross went on maternity leave in season 3 of Desperate Housewives, they gave Nicolette Sheridan's character more screen time. I wonder if Beth Hall will finally get to have more scenes on her character with Christy gone? When Kristen Johnston came on, she had more airtime than Beth who has been on the show since the end of season 2. I feel like we're going to see season 8 as the Bonnie and Tammy show. They established so much on Kristen's character that I wonder if they knew Anna was leaving so they had a replacement handy.

I'm not too fond of Roscoe or Violet. I think Violet had a good ending anyways letting Christy know how she felt. I'm fine if we never see Violet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang View Post
she was a nothing before this series began.

She was a nobody before the Scary Movie franchise. It's not Mom that made her. The Scary Movies are what made Anna famous. Scary Movie alone made 278 million worldwide. After that, she did some other popular movies like The Hot Chick, Brokeback Mountain, Take Me Home Tonight, and What's Your Number. She has a decent movie career. She'll still work after Mom.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #21
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I wonder if Beth Hall will finally get to have more scenes on her character with Christy gone? When Kristen Johnston came on, she had more airtime than Beth who has been on the show since the end of season 2.
I thought the whole point of Wendy's character was that she was kinda needy and clingy, and no-one liked spending a lot of time with her. I can't imagine them giving her more airtime based on the fact that the other characters can only stand so much of her. Just my take.

Quote:
I feel like we're going to see season 8 as the Bonnie and Tammy show. They established so much on Kristen's character that I wonder if they knew Anna was leaving so they had a replacement handy.
Maybe so. they can always do more flashbacks to Bonnie and Tammy's childhoods.

Quote:
I'm not too fond of Roscoe or Violet. I think Violet had a good ending anyways letting Christy know how she felt. I'm fine if we never see Violet again.
I am not. I feel like they left things very raw with Violet, and that wasn't closure. That was just one step in the healing process.

Plus, the reason Violet was staying away was because of Christy. She adored Bonnie. Christy's out of the picture, now.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #22
Chocolate Moose

that is crazy. just crazy
Old 09-08-2020, 12:36 AM   #23
Lorimar Television

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
What?! OMG.

Christy is the show.

It'd be like doing Laverne and Shirley without Shirley.
Well.........
Old 09-08-2020, 02:46 AM   #24
LaBestia
Jeff Goldblum is my sweetheart

What I think will happen is CBS will do the exact same thing that ABC did to JoMarie Payton when she left Family Matters after playing the character Harriet Winslow and they replaced JoMarie Payton with Judyann Elder and Family Matters had low ratings due to the actress change. In Mom's case I can think of two reasons for Anna Faris's departure,
1. A bigger paycheck and salary,
2. CBS was tired of Anna being the star of Mom and she wouldn't let any of the other stars get screentime during episodes,
But when you look at the general picture Anna Faris was the main reason why Mom became a monster hit sitcom for CBS and in the sitcom world when a sitcom loses it's main star the show's ratings go down and the sitcom gets canceled soon after. But i'm surprised that Mom will still continue without Anna and CBS will create a new storyline for this new season of Mom and begin a emergency casting call for Anna Faris's replacement. I do hope Anna gets some kind of payment and it's more likely CBS will cast her in another sitcom
Bestie
Old 09-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #25
Christopher
Forum Veteran

They wonít recast Christy. The article already said they wouldnít. I agree Mom started out a hit because of Annaís stardom from her movie career, but I donít think sheís the main reason fans stick with the show anymore. I only gave Mom a chance when it first began because of Anna, but I now enjoy Allison more and her character Bonnie. Itís sucks Anna is leaving, but between the two, Iím glad it was Anna and not Allison. Allison is very talented and her character is established more with the other 4 ladies. Christy was always written to do her own thing so thereís more for the writers to work with having only Bonnie now. However, I really donít think itís going to last long because the show is in its 8th season. Losing a main character like that this late in the showís run will upset a lot of fans to stop watching.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #26
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

I think they should have Patty (played by Kate Micucci), the girl that Bonnie started sponsoring last season, move in with her and Adam to essentially take Christy's place. It'll still be different without Christy there, but I think it could work with Patty, at least for one season.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #27
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Anna Faris' Mom departure has reportedly left her colleagues in shock: "No one" wanted her to leave

Even though Deadline reported that Faris' exit had been known for some time among the CBS sitcom's writers, People reports that the news came as a total shock on set. "It was a surprise to hear that Anna was leaving," a source close to the show tells People. "None of us are happy about that...It was sudden and unwelcome, and it left the entire network scrambling. This is not a good thing at all."
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:00 AM   #28
Duster76
Forum Regular

Apparently the writers knew about this for some time, I think more will follow. I speculated on this before, I believe the cast were individually asked for givebacks based on a reduced order of episodes and reduced advertising rate for the show. The rest of the cast agreed, including her costar and she didn't. The production company and the network were left with no choice, either go back and restore everyone else or Anna goes, and that's what happened (at least that is my take based on what we have in front of us at this time).
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:17 AM   #29
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
Apparently the writers knew about this for some time, I think more will follow. I speculated on this before, I believe the cast were individually asked for givebacks based on a reduced order of episodes and reduced advertising rate for the show. The rest of the cast agreed, including her costar and she didn't. The production company and the network were left with no choice, either go back and restore everyone else or Anna goes, and that's what happened (at least that is my take based on what we have in front of us at this time).
It's the best theory I've seen so far.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #30
Schmo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
What’s a “giveback”?
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote