Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Sitcoms in 2020; Peacock Streaming Services Programming Update
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Cable Day 2 - American Dad! 2 Season Renewal, Tacoma FD Season 2 Premiere Date
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Cable Day 1 - Comedy Central, Amazon, Paramount Network and More!
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Showtime and Pop; Will Smith & Martin Lawrence Talk Hit Sitcoms
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: NBC and CBS Includes The Rock Comedy at NBC and The Price Is Right at Night on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 13, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Saved by the Bell Reboot Gets More of Original Cast; ABC Expanding Game Show Empire


New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One

11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (Blu-ray)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/06 - 9JKL - The Complete Series
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Atlanta - Season 2 - Robbin' Season
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
12/17 - Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Series (2019 Release)
12/17 - The Other Two - Season 1
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,989
Default Found out a lot of DVD Traders who collect Sports are SCARED to get rid of

their VHS Tapes/Masters on a Sports Trading Site I belong To. Their reason was because of the problems they had with DVD's and DVD Recorders and just didn't want to be out of luck if they throw away their VHS tapes. Just curious if DVD Traders feel the same way on this board when it comes to TV Shows?
TVFactFan is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
loren
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
their VHS Tapes/Masters on a Sports Trading Site I belong To. Their reason was because of the problems they had with DVD's and DVD Recorders and just didn't want to be out of luck if they throw away their VHS tapes. Just curious if DVD Traders feel the same way on this board when it comes to TV Shows?
i dont own a single vhs, and have over 11000 different dvds right now

remember a dude named, chicken little ??


use a quality blank and a decent recorder, and there will not be a problem

most problems are self inflicted

the same ones that whine now, are the ones who bought the blanks on sale, and off the wall brand recorders
loren is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
lilhave
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Posts: 2,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
their VHS Tapes/Masters on a Sports Trading Site I belong To. Their reason was because of the problems they had with DVD's and DVD Recorders and just didn't want to be out of luck if they throw away their VHS tapes. Just curious if DVD Traders feel the same way on this board when it comes to TV Shows?
You brought this up at least three times before that I remember, each time the folks saying no. All gave their reasons for using dvd and not vhs. Are you looking for a change of heart?

Harvey
lilhave is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!
Senior Member
 
Lamont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 28, 2005
Location: Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
Posts: 5,075
Default i dont save

dont save the vhs tapes
takes up too much room
if u r worried then make a back up disc to be safe

for instance
GIMME A BREAK
i converted that set last year from like 55 tapes
once it was done, checked and ready
the tapes went in the trash can
__________________

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Lamont is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular
 
debwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 23, 2004
Location: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Posts: 484
Default

I don't dispose of tapes unless the show has seen a quality retail release, so only recent stuff have I recycled. It's a function of my OCD - that and the fact that I could not live long enough to transfer everything I have on tape onto disc the way I'd like to. And I consider today's DVD recorders to be a step on the evolutionary ladder of home recording - so discs I make of precious tapes today are snapshots - I might get better equipment later and can create better disc backups of the original recordings.

Then again, I do have 3 working Beta decks, 2 working multi-standard (PAL/NTSC/Secam) decks, plus an S-VHS deck and an older (pre-S-VHS) high-end Sony VHS deck. I have reached the point where I'm no longer recording to tape, however. But that's a decision I made in the past couple of weeks.
__________________
Deb Walsh
Savage Traders Online!
debwalsh is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
You brought this up at least three times before that I remember, each time the folks saying no. All gave their reasons for using dvd and not vhs. Are you looking for a change of heart?

Harvey

I'm not saying which is better just was curious to see if someone on here felt the same
TVFactFan is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
lilhave
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Posts: 2,287
Default

Almost every trader who has a decent size collection, has at least one set of 25 disks or more. Assume each disk has 4 one hour episodes. 100 shows for the series, no big amount. If someone wants to trade, time depends on how many burners or duplicators are available. Can take one day or up to a few days and each copy will be good as the first.

Under the vhs method, you put 4 eps on a tape and you need 25 tapes. To burn, well, 100 hours takes 100 hours and it is now a 2nd generation tape. Real difficult for this chap to trade as it will be a third generation tape and look like crap. Of course you believe in trading one tape at a time. You are speaking of 1975 technology, why not use 2006 technology.

Harvey
lilhave is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Almost every trader who has a decent size collection, has at least one set of 25 disks or more. Assume each disk has 4 one hour episodes. 100 shows for the series, no big amount. If someone wants to trade, time depends on how burners or duplicators are available. Can take one day or up to a few days and each copy will be good as the first.

Under the vhs method, you put 4 eps on a tape and you need 25 tapes. To burn, well, 100 hours takes 100 hours and it is now a 2nd generation tape. Real difficult for this chap to trade as it will be a third generation tape and look like crap. Of course you believe in trading one tape at a time. You are speaking of 1975 technology, why not use 2006 technology.

Harvey

My Trades are SMALL(one tape) because what I want i very Rare. I'm a OneYearWonderCollector-lol I made make that my new screename
TVFactFan is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
loren
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1,490
Default

hey solomon

even if you use dvds

you can keep a copy on a hard drive

every week in the sunday paper, there are smaller hard drives for absolutely free avaible

even up to 80 gig

that would hold about 15-20 discs worth

stash them in the closet, and theres your backup

even cheaper than my method of useig back up dvds, in a seperate location
loren is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
lilhave
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Posts: 2,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
My Trades are SMALL(one tape) because what I want i very Rare. I'm a OneYearWonderCollector-lol I made make that my new screename
Congratulations on your trading technique, and may you find all sorts of rare items. Problem is, the universal majority here don't trade that way, so you might find some difficulty in achieving your goal. It's the same as if you were strictly a vegetarian and you went to a steak house for dinner. Might be a problem satisfying your taste buds. Are their groups that trade one tape, one epsiode at a time? That may be the place to look for. As far as being curious. You were curious three other times. Do you feel times changed and peoples trading habits changed.?

Harvey
lilhave is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #11
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Congratulations on your trading technique, and may you find all sorts of rare items. Problem is, the universal majority here don't trade that way, so you might find some difficulty in achieving your goal. It's the same as if you were strictly a vegetarian and you went to a steak house for dinner. Might be a problem satisfying your taste buds. Are their groups that trade one tape, one epsiode at a time? That may be the place to look for. As far as being curious. You were curious three other times. Do you feel times changed and peoples trading habits changed.?

Harvey


Harv I just set up a One Tape Trade with Gilligan Fanatic for a One Year Wonder from 1993. So It's not to hard. Also I'm not saying it's good to throw Tapes away or Keep them, just seeing if the DVD traders on here feel the same as the Sports Collectors
TVFactFan is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #12
lilhave
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Posts: 2,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren
hey solomon

even if you use dvds

you can keep a copy on a hard drive

every week in the sunday paper, there are smaller hard drives for absolutely free avaible

even up to 80 gig

that would hold about 15-20 discs worth

stash them in the closet, and theres your backup

even cheaper than my method of useig back up dvds, in a seperate location
A hard drive only works when you have a computer. No computer, no need for a hard drive. You forgot Solmon has Webtv and no computer.

Harvey
lilhave is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
lilhave
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Posts: 2,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Harv I just set up a One Tape Trade with Gilligan Fanatic for a One Year Wonder from 1993. So It's not to hard. Also I'm not saying it's good to throw Tapes away or Keep them, just seeing if the DVD traders on here feel the same as the Sports Collectors
Congrats on your trade with Gilligan. But you asked the same question 3 other times and is it possible it's getting redundant?

I just hope we don't get a three week hiatus and you ask again.

Harvey
lilhave is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
A hard drive only works when you have a computer. No computer, no need for a hard drive. You forgot Solmon has Webtv and no computer.

Harvey

I have a Laptop
TVFactFan is offline  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Congrats on your trade with Gilligan. But you asked the same question 3 other times and is it possible it's getting redundant?

I just hope we don't get a three week hiatus and you ask again.

Harvey

Well I may have but I don't remember. Plus I didn't know you were a trader
TVFactFan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.