Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

F Troop links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / F Troop Photo Gallery

F Troop - The Complete First Season

Buy F Troop - The Complete First Season on DVD
F Troop - The Complete Second Season

Buy F Troop - The Complete Second Season on DVD
F Troop - Television Favorites

Buy F Troop - Television Favorites on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > F Troop

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
stevearino
Frequent Poster

Default Ken Berry R.I.P.

It's with confirmed sadness I announced that Ken Berry, best known for his roles as Sam Jones on "Mayberry R.F.D." and before that Captain Wilton Parmenter on the hit 1965 sitcom "F Troop," has passed away today at age 85.

Kenneth Ronald Berry was born in Moline, Illinois on November 3, 1933. He began his career as a Broadway Song-and-Dance man before finding his greatest success on "F Troop," following the series' 2-year run in 1967 by joining the cast of the hit '50s sitcom "The Andy Griffith Show."

After Andy Griffith quit the show, the series was re-christened "Mayberry R.F.D." with Berry taking over as lead for the next 3 years until 1971.

In 1983, Berry began his 6-season, 8-year run opposite Vicki Lawrence playing her son on "Mama's Family," a role he continued until early 1990.

He was predeceased by his Musician son, John, who died of Cancer in 2016.
stevearino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:44 AM   #2
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Verified Ken Berry (1933-2018)

The song-and dance-man, who received a career boost from Leonard Nimoy, also toplined the 'Andy Griffith Show' spinoff 'Mayberry R.F.D.'

Link

Ken Berry, the rubber-legged actor who delighted TV viewers as the blundering Capt. Wilton Parmenter on F Troop and as the accident-prone Vinton Harper on Mama's Family, has died. He was 85.

Berry, an agile song-and-dance man who was encouraged in show business by his U.S. Army sergeant, future Star Trek legend Leonard Nimoy, died Saturday, his ex-wife, Jackie Joseph-Lawrence, reported.

The amiable Berry also was known for starring as town councilor Sam Jones on Mayberry R.F.D., the spinoff of The Andy Griffith Show that was created by CBS after Griffith exited the series then the No. 1 show in the ratings after its eighth and final season.

Berry came to fame for portraying the greenhorn Captain Parmenter on ABC's F Troop, which aired for only two seasons (65 episodes from September 1965 through April 1967) but lived on in syndication for decades.

A private, Parmenter was promoted to take command of Fort Courage in Kansas after his sneeze (which sounded like "Charge!") propelled Union troops to an inspirational victory over the Confederates.

Berry's goofball antics, which he dispensed with the dexterity of a trained dancer, supplied many of the show's highlights. In a 2012 interview with the Archive of American Television, he said he came up with many of the pratfalls himself.

"It was something that I could bring to the show," he said. "I would choreograph stuff. I would find things in the set or outside that I could use. [It got so that the F Troop scripts would say,] 'Business to be worked out with Ken on the set.' "

Berry's legions of fans included the great silent film star Buster Keaton, a master of physical comedy. "He once called me after the show had been on the night before and said, 'That was a good gag you did last night,' " he recalled. "Wow, that was high praise!"

After F Troop was canceled, Berry was introduced as the widowed farmer Sam in the final four episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, and other actors making the transition to Mayberry R.F.D. for the 1968-69 season included George Lindsey (Goober), Jack Dodson (Howard Sprague), Paul Hartman (Emmett) and Frances Bavier (Aunt Bee).

"It was scary," he said. "I went into that with great apprehension. All you hope is that you don't hurt it. I had nothing to do with the success of The Andy Griffith Show. I just hoped I wouldn't do anything wrong."

Berry performed soft-shoe routines and would occasionally sing on the porch, crooning such homespun fare as "Carolina Moon." His son on the series was played by Jodie Foster's brother, Buddy.

Despite its lineage, Mayberry R.F.D. never approached the magic of its classic progenitor and was canceled after three seasons, part of CBS' purge of rural shows that also saw Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies and Hee Haw removed from the network airwaves.

In 1972, he toplined his own summer-replacement series, The Ken Berry 'Wow' Show.

When Vicki Lawrence decided to reprise her uproarious role as Thelma from recurring sketches on The Carol Burnett Show, Berry came on board, first for the 1982 movie Eunice and then as the dim locksmith Vinton (married to Dorothy Lymon's Naomi) on Mama's Family.

The comedy debuted in 1983 and lasted two seasons on NBC, then achieved stellar ratings over another four seasons in syndication.

On the big screen, the family-friendly Berry also starred in the Disney films Herbie Rides Again (1974) and The Cat From Outer Space (1978).

Kenneth Ronald Berry was born Nov. 3, 1933, in Moline, Ill. His father was an accountant and his mother a housewife. As a teenager, he won a chance to dance, sing and tour with The Horace Heidt Youth Opportunity Program; the troupe performed in a different town every Sunday night and even did shows overseas for U.S. Air Force personnel.

Berry came home and graduated from Moline High School, then joined the U.S. Army just after the Korean War. He won a talent contest with a tap dancing routine that earned him a trip to New York and a spot on Soldier Parade, an ABC show hosted by Arlene Francis.

After Nimoy invited him into the Special Services Corps, which entertained fellow troops around the country, Berry won another talent contest; this one got him on Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town.

"Lenny told me, 'You ought to get in touch with some of the people at the talent departments at the studios," Berry said in the TV Archive interview. "I said, 'I don't know how to do that.' He said, 'Ah, I'll do it for you.' And he did. He sent wires out to agencies and the people in charge of the talent programs at the various studios. I got a couple of bites, and I took the one from Universal."

Berry noted that he was up for a role in Francis in the Haunted House (1956), the final one in the series, but the part when to Mickey Rooney instead.

Meanwhile, Berry studied acting at Falcon Studios and landed a gig in Las Vegas with Abbott & Costello at the Sahara.

He became a regular with The Billy Barnes Revue, which made it to Broadway, and was spotted by Lucille Ball, who came backstage and offered him a spot in the new talent program at her Desilu Studios.

Berry won notice for playing the hotel bellhop Woody on the Desilu-CBS program The Ann Sothren Show and then was a regular on The Bob Newhart Show, the standup comic's first foray into television, in 1962.

Berry had recurring roles on two NBC series: Ensign O'Toole, a 1962-63 show that starred Dean Jones, and Richard Chamberlain's Dr. Kildare. His dancing background then helped him land him two episodes of CBS' The Dick Van Dyke Show, on which he played a choreographer.

Berry also appeared more than a dozen times on The Carol Burnett Show and performed alongside her in a 1972 TV version of Once Upon a Mattress and on stage in From the Top.

In a 1974 episode of the final season of The Brady Bunch, Berry played the adoptive father of three multiracial kids. The episode was meant to serve as a backdoor pilot, but the series was not picked up.

Berry also appeared on other TV shows including Combat!, Hazel, Rawhide, Medical Center, Little House on the Prairie (where he played a circus clown), Fantasy Island and The Golden Girls.

He also performed around the country in The Music Man, Oklahoma!, Promises, Promises and I Do! I Do!

In 1960, Berry married actress Jackie Joseph (The Doris Day Show, the Gremlins movies), whom he had met on The Billy Barnes Revue. They adopted two children before divorcing in 1977.

In the TV Archive interview, Berry said that he "didn't make a lot of money, but I made up for it in quantity. When Mama's Family was canceled, I was stunned that the phone didn't ring anymore." He had been working nonstop for 40 years and decided it was time to slow down.

The highlight of his career was, without a doubt, F Troop. "I have never been that happy in my life," he said. "I walked on air for a long time. It never let me down. I felt like that every day I went to work. I knew how lucky I was at the time."
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
MA
Once Upon A Christmas
Forum Legend

Does anyone know how he died?

And many other guys too.

Netflix, please add Home Improvement

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen
MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
PhoenixAcres

Ken Berry, RIP
PhoenixAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Almost all of the cast of F Troop is gone...only Larry Storch is alive....

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post
James Hampton (Bugler Hannibal Dobbs) is still with us.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Screwy Wabbit
Frequent Poster

I'd like to see a mock Instagram war before it's too late. Two photos, each with an elderly man shaking a fist at the camera, with the captions, "I'm warning you, Larry!" and "I'm warning you, Jim!"

Ken Berry was a good actor, and he had it good for a couple of years. Not many men get paid to regularly smooch with a pretty, blonde, jailbait actress literally half his age.
Screwy Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
ponytail

I'm sad to hear of his passing. R.I.P. Ken Berry.
ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:11 AM   #9
SitcomsHeydayfan

R.I.P. Tom Berry.

You were hilarious as Captain Parmenter.
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:16 AM   #10
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post
I know. It reminds me of the Jeffersons where the entire main cast is gone except Florence the maid and that ended almost 2 DECADES after F Troop!
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
king of comedy

R.I.P. Ken Berry You will be miss.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #12
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelaArsenault View Post
Does anyone know how he died?
I'm gonna guess that he probably died of old age.
Wawwie is online now   Reply With Quote