Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-11-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
wiseguy182

Default Roseanne deserved to be fired from the chicken restaurant

Hear me out...

1) Roseanne wasn't fired solely for her refusal to work weekends, she was fired for her poor attitude. She was constantly demeaning, belittling and humiliating her boss and in front of the other employees as well. Doing that to any coworker is bad enough, but doing it to your boss is treading on thin ice. Ok, I agree, he was young and inexperienced, but that doesn't give Roseanne license to mouth off at him at every opportunity.

2) Roseanne was only asked to worked Saturday, which she turns around and tells people "He's making me work weekends." No, that implies he's asking you to work Saturday and Sunday, which clearly didn't happen. She was making it seem worse than it was as an attempt to evoke sympathy from people.

3) I'm sorry, but what the hell does Roseanne need Saturday off for? She claims it was because of her "family", but since when does Roseanne ever enjoy spending time with them anyways? Whenever she's around them, she yells at them, acts like they're huge annoyances and inconveniences, and in that same episode, couldn't even be bothered to remember D.J. was hiding. She practically neglected him and he spent several hours in that cabinet! She always acted like she wanted to be away from them so she should enjoy working Saturdays.

4) What the hell gave Roseanne the impression she was entitled to have every weekend, all weekend off? Because she was older? She was a new-hire at that point and where I work, new-hires generally have to work weekends. Why would she be entitled to weekends off when other people who have worked there longer have to work them? It's remarkable she refuses to even work a single Saturday without pitching a fit. She's not even willing to entertain the notion of a rotating schedule, which would ensure everyone would have to work the occasional weekend, she just flat out refuses.

5) Roseanne claimed "The weekends are the only time I have to see my kids", which was such a blatant lie. She seems them every night. And it's not like the kids were usually stuck at home on the weekends anyways. Becky was usually at the mall, or on dates, or hanging out with her friends.

6) I thought Roseanne may have been attempting to right the ship with the invitation to dinner, but she clearly got no enjoyment out of that. She didn't do it out of the kindness of her heart, she was doing it for the sole purpose of buttering her boss up in order to get Saturdays off, which she made obvious by talking about it with him right then and there, and not even waiting until they got to the office, which the manager wanted to do.

7) After Roseanne gets fired (how does a grown woman get fired from such a low-level job?) she doesn't endear herself by telling the manager what a horrible place it was to work, and then act like she needed the job. Again, that doesn't give Roseanne the license to act like a snot and dictate her own hours.

She deserved to be fired.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Hughsgirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Hear me out...

1) Roseanne wasn't fired solely for her refusal to work weekends, she was fired for her poor attitude. She was constantly demeaning, belittling and humiliating her boss and in front of the other employees as well. Doing that to any coworker is bad enough, but doing it to your boss is treading on thin ice. Ok, I agree, he was young and inexperienced, but that doesn't give Roseanne license to mouth off at him at every opportunity.

2) Roseanne was only asked to worked Saturday, which she turns around and tells people "He's making me work weekends." No, that implies he's asking you to work Saturday and Sunday, which clearly didn't happen. She was making it seem worse than it was as an attempt to evoke sympathy from people.

3) I'm sorry, but what the hell does Roseanne need Saturday off for? She claims it was because of her "family", but since when does Roseanne ever enjoy spending time with them anyways? Whenever she's around them, she yells at them, acts like they're huge annoyances and inconveniences, and in that same episode, couldn't even be bothered to remember D.J. was hiding. She practically neglected him and he spent several hours in that cabinet! She always acted like she wanted to be away from them so she should enjoy working Saturdays.

4) What the hell gave Roseanne the impression she was entitled to have every weekend, all weekend off? Because she was older? She was a new-hire at that point and where I work, new-hires generally have to work weekends. Why would she be entitled to weekends off when other people who have worked there longer have to work them? It's remarkable she refuses to even work a single Saturday without pitching a fit. She's not even willing to entertain the notion of a rotating schedule, which would ensure everyone would have to work the occasional weekend, she just flat out refuses.

5) Roseanne claimed "The weekends are the only time I have to see my kids", which was such a blatant lie. She seems them every night. And it's not like the kids were usually stuck at home on the weekends anyways. Becky was usually at the mall, or on dates, or hanging out with her friends.

6) I thought Roseanne may have been attempting to right the ship with the invitation to dinner, but she clearly got no enjoyment out of that. She didn't do it out of the kindness of her heart, she was doing it for the sole purpose of buttering her boss up in order to get Saturdays off, which she made obvious by talking about it with him right then and there, and not even waiting until they got to the office, which the manager wanted to do.

7) After Roseanne gets fired (how does a grown woman get fired from such a low-level job?) she doesn't endear herself by telling the manager what a horrible place it was to work, and then act like she needed the job. Again, that doesn't give Roseanne the license to act like a snot and dictate her own hours.

She deserved to be fired.
I totally agree with every single point you made! I'm a manager of a security team and I have dealt with people who flat out refuse to work weekends - even after they told me they would work ANYTIME they were needed!! The way I see it, you do what you need to do to pay the bills and feed your family and sometimes that means doing jobs we hate and putting up with people that make our lives hell - that's called life! That's one thing that really bugged me about Rosanne and her job switching. Yes, the factory boss was a butthead (that southern guy that called her honey bunch), but she had a fulltime jobs with full benefits for God sakes and then it took her months to find another job. And what happened at that hair salon? Those women were cool to work with and she said she liked it! It was never discussed why she left there. They seemed way too choosy with jobs and then wondered why they were at times poverty level. A paycheck is better than no paycheck.
Hughsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
Wawwie

BEFORE Rosanne was even hired, she told her boss that she would not work weekends. They agreed.
The boss is the one who later changed the rules, not Roseanne.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughsgirl
I totally agree with every single point you made! I'm a manager of a security team and I have dealt with people who flat out refuse to work weekends - even after they told me they would work ANYTIME they were needed!! The way I see it, you do what you need to do to pay the bills and feed your family and sometimes that means doing jobs we hate and putting up with people that make our lives hell - that's called life! That's one thing that really bugged me about Rosanne and her job switching. Yes, the factory boss was a butthead (that southern guy that called her honey bunch), but she had a fulltime jobs with full benefits for God sakes and then it took her months to find another job. And what happened at that hair salon? Those women were cool to work with and she said she liked it! It was never discussed why she left there. They seemed way too choosy with jobs and then wondered why they were at times poverty level. A paycheck is better than no paycheck.
I agree! I really liked Iris, she was funny.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
Schmoopie
fan fiction fanatic
Forum Veteran

No offense to anyone but this is why I never liked this show at all. I vaguely remember Rosanne working in the restaurant and seriously, what person would even consider telling a manager that they won't work weekends? I could see if she'd been there for a long time, but I know from experience that telling a potential employer that I won't work weekends would not get me hired!

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:55 AM   #6
Hughsgirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
BEFORE Rosanne was even hired, she told her boss that she would not work weekends. They agreed.
The boss is the one who later changed the rules, not Roseanne.
But it wasn't just that she wouldn't work weekends - it was her attitude! And then when she worked at Rodbell's she was even worse and LAZY!! No one would keep a job anywhere acting the way she did with Leon. But yes, it was funny because it was so stupid and ridiculous.
Hughsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

Everything is played up for comedic effect. No one in any sitcom would be able to continue doing what they do if it was anything like real life.

Do you think Tim Taylor would still be employed by Binford Tools after all the accidents he had on the job? He's a walking OSHA violation.
Sean Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #8
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Conner
Do you think Tim Taylor would still be employed by Binford Tools after all the accidents he had on the job? He's a walking OSHA violation.
Oh absolutely. He's a good example of what NOT to do. Al always did things the correct way.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Spark Of Spirit
Forum Regular

Agreed 100%. It was like she never worked at an actual job before.
A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.
― G.K. Chesterton
Spark Of Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopie
No offense to anyone but this is why I never liked this show at all. I vaguely remember Rosanne working in the restaurant and seriously, what person would even consider telling a manager that they won't work weekends? I could see if she'd been there for a long time, but I know from experience that telling a potential employer that I won't work weekends would not get me hired!
Then he never should have hired her, but he did. Roseanne told the manager before he hired her that she would not work weekends. If he had a problem with that, he should not have given her the job in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughsgirl
But it wasn't just that she wouldn't work weekends - it was her attitude!
Roseanne wasn't fired because of her attitude. She was fired because of the weekend schedule.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
king of comedy

Working one Saturday wasn't going to kill her.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
Working one Saturday wasn't going to kill her.
True.... but one of her conditions for taking the job was that she would not work weekends. The manager knew that, but he hired her anyway. Now why would he do that?
Old 03-31-2015, 05:14 AM   #13
wiseguy182

Quote:
Roseanne wasn't fired because of her attitude. She was fired because of the weekend schedule.
You need to rewatch the episode.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
You need to rewatch the episode.
I remember the episode with the manager in Roseanne's kitchen. I absolutely remember Roseanne saying "You're really gonna fire me because of this WEEKEND thing"? And the manager said "Yes." He did not FIRE her because of her attitude. He fired her because of the weekend stuff.
I don't need to re-watch the episode. I remember it completely. I remember in the beginning of the episode, the manager MENTIONED Roseanne's poor attitude while they were at the restaurant, but he never threatened to fire her because of it. In fact, he wanted her to work extra days. So what's that about? Perhaps you are the one who needs to re-watch the episode.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
wiseguy182

Quote:
I remember the episode with the manager in Roseanne's kitchen. I absolutely remember Roseanne saying "You're really gonna fire me because of this WEEKEND thing"? And the manager said "Yes." He did not FIRE her because of her attitude. He fired her because of the weekend stuff.
I don't need to re-watch the episode. I remember it completely. I remember in the beginning of the episode, the manager MENTIONED Roseanne's poor attitude while they were at the restaurant, but he never threatened to fire her because of it. In fact, he wanted her to work extra days. So what's that about? Perhaps you are the one who needs to re-watch the episode.
Nope, after he fired her, Roseanne was complaining, and he told her that she was a fast worker but her attitude stinks. She was fired because of the weekend thing AND her attitude. She was constantly disrespecting him, embarrassing him in front of other workers, and the dinner thing honestly came off as a bribe.

As I said, you need to rewatch the episode.