Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #31
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
Early deaths seem to be common among parents that have children that are murdered or found dead under suspicious circumstances. It's cliché but also true in a way that one could say they died from "broken hearts".
I get it. I read that Brook Baker's mother has also passed away. Go back and check out how she looked in Brook's UM segment. Brook's death probably aged that particular mother by about 20 years. She looked rough. I felt horrible for her.

I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child. I can totally understand how parents die shortly after their children.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #32
rosabud
Occasional Poster

I am a family member but never met him (actually my mother, his cousin, induced labor with me 2 weeks early because my due date was the anniversary of Rusty's murder). It is definitely comforting to find that people still care about finding the truth after all these years since everyone close to the case is now gone.

I would like to add that I showed the craigslist post to my mother. She lost it at the detail regarding the poster at the Round Table Pizza. She was close to Rusty and his sister and was at the hospital after he was admitted before he died.

Last edited by rosabud; 11-11-2016 at 09:32 PM.
rosabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #33
cdr369
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosabud
His sister died quite some time ago as well. I am a family member but never met him (actually my mother, his cousin, induced labor with me 2 weeks early because my due date was the anniversary of Rusty's murder). It is definitely comforting to find that people still care about finding the truth after all these years since everyone close to the case is now gone.

I would like to add that I showed the craigslist post to my mother. She lost it at the detail regarding the poster at the Round Table Pizza. She was close to Rusty and his sister and was at the hospital after he was admitted before he died.
Rosabud, thank you for sharing this information. I am sorry to hear about his entire family. That is a lot of loss for even the extended family to deal with.

Please keep us updated if there are any new developments. I didn't even know until now that Brian had died. I thought he was still living, because at one time, I believe I saw where he had posted his own defense on a webboard.
cdr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #34
rosabud
Occasional Poster

I actually checked on Brian and actually he is alive as far as I know. There was a rumor on their middle school Facebook page that he committed suicide and my mother confirmed she heard that as well but I believe I found his Facebook page which is still active, he just moved far from Spokane.

I know I will be personally contacting Spokane authorities to make sure that this has at least been reported and will probably request a public disclosure of the known assault reports of the man who was named in the post, if they haven't been booked for destruction yet.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #35
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosabud
I actually checked on Brian and actually he is alive as far as I know. There was a rumor on their middle school Facebook page that he committed suicide and my mother confirmed she heard that as well but I believe I found his Facebook page which is still active, he just moved far from Spokane.

I know I will be personally contacting Spokane authorities to make sure that this has at least been reported and will probably request a public disclosure of the known assault reports of the man who was named in the post, if they haven't been booked for destruction yet.
Thank you for sharing. I am sorry for your loss. Please keep us updated if there are any new developments!

That Craigslist post gave me legit chills.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #36
cdr369
Frequent Poster

rosabud, do you know when his sister may have died? And was there oen or two other sisters?

The reason I am asking is because I believed there were two sisters. I had read once that his oldest sister died tragically at a house party. But in a different forum, I have seen someone post claiming to be his younger sister. The younger sister even claimed the authenticity to Brian's earlier post ( http://www.dreamindemon.com/communit...omicide.11146/ ) .

I guess the reason why I question this is because "Brian" has also posted about Russ's death in these forums. Being the internet, it would make one wonder whether or not Brian was posting as being another sister of Russ's, to validate whatever claim he may have had.
cdr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #37
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr369
rosabud, do you know when his sister may have died? And was there oen or two other sisters?

The reason I am asking is because I believed there were two sisters. I had read once that his oldest sister died tragically at a house party. But in a different forum, I have seen someone post claiming to be his younger sister. The younger sister even claimed the authenticity to Brian's earlier post ( http://www.dreamindemon.com/communit...omicide.11146/ ) .

I guess the reason why I question this is because "Brian" has also posted about Russ's death in these forums. Being the internet, it would make one wonder whether or not Brian was posting as being another sister of Russ's, to validate whatever claim he may have had.
Russell'a father John died in 1998 and his mother Susan died in 2011. In her obituary, it only mentioned she had 2 children, Russell and Dianna, so there's only one surviving sister and not two. She is still living. I didn't know about the alleged "Brian" posting here, but it could be a cruel hoax if it turns out the account is fake.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:19 AM   #38
rosabud
Occasional Poster

Dianna is still alive, confirmed by my mother earlier today but they haven't spoken in years and she wouldn't give a reason why. She always stated that she has no family but I asked her about Dianna after finding her post on a different thread on this forum from a few years ago. Believe me, I am finding out a lot about my family I was unaware of up until this point.

I messaged who I believe is the real Brian yesterday, not on this forum. I will update if I hear anything back. I am truly shocked at the amount of info I have discovered over the past few days including the blatant lies told to me by family including my mother and late grandmother who was Russell's aunt.

I went into this thinking that I would be researching something from the past and have found that it still has so many connections to the present.

According to WA state Court Records from Spokane Superior TJ Groh was convicted of multiple counts of felony assault 2 in 2 different court cases. I still await to see what come from the Spokane authorities in my Public Disclosure request. I work Law enforcement and Spokane PD and Sheriffs Office is known for taking years to come up with anything usable.

Thank you to everyone on this forum looking into this case as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
Russell'a father John died in 1998 and his mother Susan died in 2011. In her obituary, it only mentioned she had 2 children, Russell and Dianna, so there's only one surviving sister and not two. She is still living. I didn't know about the alleged "Brian" posting here, but it could be a cruel hoax if it turns out the account is fake.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #39
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

This is the approximate spot where Russell's body was found.

I think UM used a different street for the re-enactment, because nothing from the segment resembles this road. They probably used a different, less busy road to film on. The link above also shows the direction Russell would have been walking in to get back home. I have no idea how he could be struck from behind, and have his body end up at this approximate location, but his shoes would then travel down the hill. I personally think "Brian" is a red herring in this case. The last known person to see Russell alive was one of his friends, who says he saw him jog off, alone. In the segment, Sandy Ferris says that after the police and paramedics had shown up is when she noticed "Brian". I tend to think this person simply saw the lights and decided to see what was going on. Plus, assuming that Brian was the kid in the white shorts, how would he (at 13-14 years old) know which hospital Russell was taken to, and then be spooked enough at the sight of Sandy Ferris seeing him to run away, only to go ahead and call the hospital minutes later? He didn't want to be seen at the scene, so he runs away, but then he makes a phone call inquiring about Russell and gives his name (coincidentally the same name Russell was shouting shortly before he died)? Just too weird to me. And at no point in the segment do they ever mention Brian being with Russell at the park or at his friend's house that night, nor is it mentioned about where exactly Brian lived in relation to where Russell was headed home. Which is another huge point, IMO. The parents would have brought that up in the segment to lend credence to the theory that Russell either ran into Brian at some point, or would've been in close proximity to where he was killed.

My biggest pet peeve with the way the case was handled was that the cops seemed eager to write this off as just an "accidental hit and run"...but that's still a crime! It's not murder, but you would still want to find the person responsible for leaving him in the road to die.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #40
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I personally think "Brian" is a red herring in this case. The last known person to see Russell alive was one of his friends, who says he saw him jog off, alone. In the segment, Sandy Ferris says that after the police and paramedics had shown up is when she noticed "Brian". I tend to think this person simply saw the lights and decided to see what was going on. Plus, assuming that Brian was the kid in the white shorts, how would he (at 13-14 years old) know which hospital Russell was taken to, and then be spooked enough at the sight of Sandy Ferris seeing him to run away, only to go ahead and call the hospital minutes later? He didn't want to be seen at the scene, so he runs away, but then he makes a phone call inquiring about Russell and gives his name (coincidentally the same name Russell was shouting shortly before he died)? Just too weird to me. And at no point in the segment do they ever mention Brian being with Russell at the park or at his friend's house that night, nor is it mentioned about where exactly Brian lived in relation to where Russell was headed home. Which is another huge point, IMO. The parents would have brought that up in the segment to lend credence to the theory that Russell either ran into Brian at some point, or would've been in close proximity to where he was killed.
This article mentions Brian's full name and clarifies that he was in the park that night with Russell and witnessed the altercation with the two teens. I get the impression they went their separate ways when Russell went to his friend's house:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,6191812&hl=en

They do mention Russell calling out Brian's name and the sighting of the kid in the bushes, but nothing about the phone call to the hospital or Brian being questioned. You make valid points about Brian being a potential red herring, but I just find it strange that Russell would decide to call out Brian's name if he hadn't seen him for hours (unless he happened to see the kid in the bushes and assumed it was Brian). This is why I lean towards the two teens from the park grabbing backup and crossing paths with Brian at some point, where they forced him to tell them the route Russell would be walking home, so they could ambush him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
My biggest pet peeve with the way the case was handled was that the cops seemed eager to write this off as just an "accidental hit and run"...but that's still a crime! It's not murder, but you would still want to find the person responsible for leaving him in the road to die.
This article from 1996 mentions there being a three-year statute of limitations to file charges for vehicular homicide:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,3957595&hl=en

I looked that up and there appears to be no statute of limitations for vehicular homicide in Washington state these days, but it might have been different back in 1989. Sadly, I think the cops were so adamant about the hit-and-run theory because this meant they could just wash their hands of the case and file it away after three years, whereas there would be no statute of limitations if it was proven Russell was murdered. This is probably why they felt they didn't need to do anything to act on the new leads which were presented to them in 1996.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #41
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
This article mentions Brian's full name and clarifies that he was in the park that night with Russell and witnessed the altercation with the two teens. I get the impression they went their separate ways when Russell went to his friend's house:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,6191812&hl=en
That article says that Seyd Matteson left Russell at about 12:15 a.m., before he saw him jogging northbound on Freya towards his house. This is the most likely route he took to get home in relation to where his body ultimately ended up. And based off of that, IMO, it lends credence to the theory presented by investigators and shown in the UM re-enactment. Once he got onto S Ben Burr Blvd (which turns into S Thor St), I could see how a vehicle making a wide turn off of E 11th Ave would have struck him (if he recoiled, it would have been from behind), and this would explain why his shoes and blood were found where they were, and how his body was actually propelled forward and up the hill.

ETA: Sandy Ferris is interviewed for that article, and she says when she asked Russell his name and what school he went to, he answered her. But when she asked what had happened to him, he just looked up at her. If he was viciously beaten to death by a bunch of thugs, you would think he would have told her. If he was blindsided by a car out of nowhere, however, I could see his non-answer as because it was something that happened so sudden and so fast, he couldn't comprehend what had happened to him.

And obviously this video is of a skater free falling 50 feet down, but he lands on his back, and the impact is forceful enough to have his shoes go flying off. So it is possible, IMO, for a car to have struck him from behind and have his shoes go flying (or falling where the impact was) while he either is flung from, or carried on the hood/bumper area of the car to where his body ultimately was found.

My 4 year old could probably have come up with a better image than this, but here goes:

The 2 red rectangular shapes are possible locations where a vehicle could have made a wide turn onto Ray/Thor St. It's also entirely possible that a drunk driver (or just a reckless driver) was driving southbound on Thor St when they encountered Russell. The white dots are possible routes that Russell would have walked picking up from the path that Seyd Matteson saw him jogging towards home. The tiny green dots are possible points of impact, and the yellow lines are possible trajectories as to where Russell's body was (approximately) found.

Last edited by TheCars1986; 12-29-2016 at 03:57 PM.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #42
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

Similar case:

On August 21, 1991 in Fayette County, Indiana Jason Bolton and his friend Tim “Tiny” Pursifull Jr had been hanging out. The official story from the police is that Jason and his friend were drinking illegally as both were under age. The teens then decided to go visit Bolton’s father but along the way they became groggy and laid down in the middle of the street. Soon after a man named Duane Grim was driving down the road and saw Pursifull’s body which caused him to swerve his car. This ended with Grim accidentally running over Bolton, who suffered crushed his ribs and a fractured skull. Jason died at the scene.

Bolton’s family found much of this story to ring untrue. For one, Bolton was estranged from his father and barely knew the man, if at all. Secondly, the family started to receive anonymous letters that stated that Jason was actually killed by a group of four people, one of whom was a police officer. Bolton had been tortured and castrated. While Bolton lay dying, bleeding out from his groin wounds, it was determined that a cover-up was needed. The group then prepared a plan and an accident was staged. There were apparently multiple witnesses to the assault but these people are fearful of retribution and refuse to come forward even after nearly twenty-five years have come to pass since the murder.

Jason’s family is actively trying to have his body exhumed in order to check for DNA and other evidence. They run a website to try and help their plight at JusticeForJasonBolton.com
Arnold_OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 AM   #43
SP4CE INV4DERZ
40-0 0WN3D
Forum Regular

What's sad, disturbing and often overlooked about this case is that Russell was only a 12 year old boy. No matter what happened, why has a 12 year old kid been killed. I wonder what he was doing out by himself at that time and alone?
SP4CE INV4DERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #44
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
Early deaths seem to be common among parents that have children that are murdered or found dead under suspicious circumstances. It's cliché but also true in a way that one could say they died from "broken hearts".
Many live to old age-it is more likely due to cancer, heart attacks, badly managed diabetes etc.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #45
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP4CE INV4DERZ
What's sad, disturbing and often overlooked about this case is that Russell was only a 12 year old boy. No matter what happened, why has a 12 year old kid been killed. I wonder what he was doing out by himself at that time and alone?
I think Russell probably mostly had a good head on his shoulders and had earned quite a bit of trust from his parents. His dad talked about how Russell had already talked about plans to attend college and be an engineer. So, I think that it was mostly a situation of him having earned the trust of his parents to be out late.

In addition, Spokane, WA is a fairly small city. It's currently around 200,000 people. As a parent in a similar sized city, I wouldn't be too worried about letting a responsible 13-year old hang out with their friends without much supervision. Maybe not quite that late at night, but parents were just more lax in the 80s.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote