Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Thought Roseanne Barr Says That Hollywood Has Blacklisted Her

Roseanne Barr insists her new sitcom pilot got shelved because of her ... wait for it ... progressive politics.

The Green Party candidate for the Oval Office told Politicker.com her new show "Downwardly Mobile" tested well but got shelved because her views were too divisive.

“How they figure what is polarizing is blows my mind. It really has blown my mind,” she said. “I guess it went back to the sponsors on the East Coast and some of them are—they don’t like me no matter what I do and they don’t like the things I say, so it’s kind of like blacklisting or something. But the fact is that I still think it’s weird to blacklist, or whatever you want to call it, in Hollywood, someone who has a huge—whose show had a huge audience and still does after 20-something years.”

http://politicker.com/2012/06/rosean...e-rose-garden/

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Honestly, I'd say that Roseanne blacklisted herself with her wackadoo talk show appeances and stunts.

I loved the first few years of Roseanne and she's obviously a smart and creative woman when she wants to be, but ever since the last season of that show she hasn't really done anything to show me that she should inspire confidence in TV execs.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I think the public in general blacklisted her!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

The networks are going to do what is best for ratings. If they felt Roseanne was too divisive to bring in a mainstream audience, that's reason enough to pass on a show. Roseanne was great in the 90s because she was fresh and blunt and people wanted to watch that. But they tired of her, just as they tire of everything, and ultimately she's gone deeper & deeper into the bat cave since her show ended in 1997.

Roseanne needs to pull back, calm down and join us all back here on planet earth.
Sean Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
hawkeye123

I think the networks are making a huge mistake.Her new show would of been hillarious.Do i think Roseanne is the answer as president.Probably not,I'm really not sure what she's all about as far as that goes.I got to imagine ,She would be more for the people,Than the other two do.But what would she know about going to war,If God forbid that we're the case when she was in office.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Will and Grace Fanatic
be happy

I don't think she was blacklisted. If she was she would have never even been given the pilot. There is also the fact that she did have a reality show on lifetime that was picked up but cancelled due to low ratings. If she was blacklisted that would never had been picked up. I love Roseanne but she has not been blacklisted just hasn't had any luck lately.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
hawkeye123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will and Grace Fanatic
I don't think she was blacklisted. If she was she would have never even been given the pilot. There is also the fact that she did have a reality show on lifetime that was picked up but cancelled due to low ratings. If she was blacklisted that would never had been picked up. I love Roseanne but she has not been blacklisted just hasn't had any luck lately.

I can't say for sure.But i just can't imagine that the new show.With her and John Goodman wasn't hillarious.
hawkeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I really soured on Roseanne over the last 15 years or so. I don't think she's been blacklisted and I think she only has herself to blame. Saying that however, I do think NBC made a mistake not picking her show up. They need a mainstream hit and nothing they have is really working for them. I don't know what they had to lose.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 AM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
Honestly, I'd say that Roseanne blacklisted herself with her wackadoo talk show appeances and stunts.

I loved the first few years of Roseanne and she's obviously a smart and creative woman when she wants to be, but ever since the last season of that show she hasn't really done anything to show me that she should inspire confidence in TV execs.
One of the reasons why Roseanne was so good was because it was a well-written show. Roseanne Barr was able to find right people (such as Chuck Lorre, Joss Whedon, Judd Apatow, and Amy Sherman-Palladino, who are all big heavyweights in the game now) to carry out her vision.

Unfortunately, Roseanne and Tom Arnold treated their writers like complete and utter crap during the show's heyday. To give you a better idea, they would make the writers wear hats with numbers and only referred to them by said number during writing sessions and table readings. More to the point, Rosanne and Tom would fire you immediately if you couldn't pass muster. Rosanne herself said that it was to bring their egos down a notch, and they were paying good money to create good material, but they took it up to the eleven on that. But she fired so many writers by Season 8, she had her kids (you read that correctly) writing episodes.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Television
I really soured on Roseanne over the last 15 years or so. I don't think she's been blacklisted and I think she only has herself to blame. Saying that however, I do think NBC made a mistake not picking her show up. They need a mainstream hit and nothing they have is really working for them. I don't know what they had to lose.
She has always been infamously a nightmare to work with, demands all control, and operates according to whim (she has very poor impulse control to put it in another way). She ruined the last season of her own show because of this attitude, and then launched horrible project after horrible project thereafter.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #12
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Ah, that last, horrible season of Roseanne. Even after all these years, I still wonder what on earth they were thinking. I don't think there was even one decent episode that season.

The first 7 seasons of the show (and some Season 8 episodes) were so funny. But that last year was an utter train wreck.

Clearly, Roseanne was always difficult to work with, and she went through writers and other staff like toilet paper. Did she really drive away enough talent that that's why the last season was so horrible?

Also: what happened to Crystal?
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
mets82

I think the problem with the last season of Roseanne is Roseanne got too cute for her own good. I think she figured she could make the storylines so outlandish that because she was Roseanne she would be teflon. It didn't work as the last season was bad with maybe the exception of when Dan cheated on Roseanne which was dumb.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I think the problem with the last season of Roseanne is Roseanne got too cute for her own good. I think she figured she could make the storylines so outlandish that because she was Roseanne she would be teflon. It didn't work as the last season was bad with maybe the exception of when Dan cheated on Roseanne which was dumb.
I think you raise good points. But I'd also point out that it's been alleged that Roseanne, Tom Arnold, and John Goodman were all on drugs during the later years of the show. I suspect that that, too, may have caused many of the problems we saw on-screen.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote