Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
USATVFAN
Banned
Banned!!

Default Dan in the later epiodes

I didn't like how they wrote Dan character in the last 2 o 3 Seasons, Dan would never ever dared called Roseanne a Controlling Bitch, Fat or a Bad mother and he would have never said his kids were failures in the early season's! Dan of the early season would have never cheated on her either(I know he didn't really cheat on her and at this point it was a dream but but Technically speaking)When Tom Arnold(I never like his character but a least when he was on the show behind the scenes it was better) was working on the show (First 5 Years)they had a loving marriage.

And none of the kids I thought were Failures at all, I mean Darlene may have been married and pregnant but she was still going to school and was pretty much done almost and had Job's offers! DJ was not even n High School yet! And Becky for the most part I think was okay and doing just fine. Kids are not perfect and are not going to turn out the way your want them too! I heard something the other day, Stop forcing your kids or holding them at high expectations to be someone that they are not or may no be and thinking that they will do everything that you want them to do(I hope someone understand What I am trying to say as I don't have Kids), and just let them be their own peoples and they will find their way or where they belong in this world. College is not for everybody.

Could have imagine if Jackie, Becky, Mark or Darlene were in the house = during that fight?
USATVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
70s show watcher

dan was a complete jerk the last few seasons i got to where i could not stand him
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
ShamelessFanGirl
Great Power and Resposbility
Forum Regular

In the final season I thought that Dan was really out of line with Roseanne with how he treated her. She was just trying to be like any good wife and help get him on the right track to improving his health and instead threw it back at her at her by cheating on his diet and like you said, calling her a controlling b***h and their kids failures. I am sure that would have hurt Darlene, Becky and D.J. quite badly hearing this from him.
ShamelessFanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
USATVFAN
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw1984
In the final season I thought that Dan was really out of line with Roseanne with how he treated her. She was just trying to be like any good wife and help get him on the right track to improving his health and instead threw it back at her at her by cheating on his diet and like you said, calling her a controlling b***h and their kids failures. I am sure that would have hurt Darlene, Becky and D.J. quite badly hearing this from him.
If Jackie has heard Dan say that stuff to Roseanne could you have imagine what would have happened?
USATVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
ShamelessFanGirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USATVFAN
If Jackie has heard Dan say that stuff to Roseanne could you have imagine what would have happened?
She would have gave him hell for sure and got in his face for being so disrespectful to her sister. I am sure if even the kids or Bev had been there they would have had a thing or two to say to him as well.

Last edited by ShamelessFanGirl; 08-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I feel where you guys are coming from but Roseanne was written (especially in later years) as a controling b****. There is no way around it. Dan was putting up with a lot of that mess from her. Those kids were failures. They were still in the progress of change. Becky was working her way back to college. Darlene was still in school and DJ was beginning to find his nitch with what he wanted to do film industry wise.

Roseanne was difficult to deal with in later years (sorry but she was). However, she loved her some Dan and he loved her. The scene that got to me was when she was at his bedside after the heart attack when the closing credits were rolling that the end of the show. It was so natural. She looked upset but was trying to remain calm as she was skimming throught the magazine. I loved that. I also loved how in the Jerry Springer episode someone tried so sass Roseanne and Dan came to her defense. I thought that was so cool. So, there are some pluses and negatives.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USATVFAN
I think Jackie was too busy being a Nutcase in the later Episodes to even notice! I loved her character in the early Seasons but hated what the writers turned her into later on.
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
ShamelessFanGirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
The scene that got to me was when she was at his bedside after the heart attack when the closing credits were rolling that the end of the show. It was so natural. She looked upset but was trying to remain calm as she was skimming throught the magazine. I loved that. I also loved how in the Jerry Springer episode someone tried so sass Roseanne and Dan came to her defense. I thought that was so cool. So, there are some pluses and negatives.

The Jerry Springer fantasy was hiliarous, I loved it. Though my favorite was the scene with Roseanne watching Dan while anxiously flipping through the magazine trying to remain calm like you said and not show her concern and worry.

Another moment I really though was really emotional was when Roseanne is standing in the hallway of the hospital talking to God and blamming him for Dan's heartattack at Darlene/David's wedding. Though she soon realizes that t she was actually the one who was actually at fault that she was the one who fed him all the greasy foods, eating all the same foods right along side of him and enabling him to be unheathly. At the end of it all she says, "So I guess you weren't the one who screwed up."

The scene when Darlene had gone into early labor and at the end of the episode you saw Roseanne sitting there watching Darlene and Dan sleep was also emotional as well. Though she keeps her eyes mainly glued on to Darlene, it's like she silently praying to God for the treatment to work for not her sake, but Darlene's sake as well. Very moving scene. One of a personal favorite of mine.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
kramer
Re-gifter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkys-Place
I think Jackie was too busy being a Nutcase in the later Episodes to even notice! I loved her character in the early Seasons but hated what the writers turned her into later on.
Agreed. Also Mark, I know he was never smart, but in the last season I would not want him to work on my toy motorcycle. He became a complete moron

Curly: Certainly! We're all incompetent
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
mets82

I thought Roseanne was somewhat controlling throughout the whole series. I'd have to see where Dan insulted her. Thats because I rarely watched the last season of Roseanne. I thought it was bad. I thought Dan leaving for a while was bad, I thought him cheating on Roseanne was way worse then when he insulted her. The whole lottery thing just didnt make sense. It was bad all around.

Dan cheating on Roseanne bothered me more than Dan calling Roseanne names because you know married couples fight and they say things they would want to take back. To have Dan, who was upstanding, a nice guy all around cheat on Roseanne made the Dan character tough to root for. I mean there isnt a chance in the world that Dan would cheat on Roseanne. Its almost like you had to turn your brain off when that happened.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I guess this is something I have to look forward to but i did find out that John Goodman were not in that many episodes in the last season which is a disappointing. I guess if a show is going to jump the shark I guess it's not a bad thing if it's in the last season
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
Heenan Fan

Bad writing. It wasn't just Dan. Pretty much all the characters were lame in the last two seasons. A sure sign that the writers had lost track of the characters. Same thing happened on the last few seasons of M*A*S*H.
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote