Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Rezny@gmail.com

Music Remember these duds-?

All were midseason cancellations:1)Blondie-This 1968 CBS turkey starred Will Hutchins(Dagwood),Patricia Harty(Blondie) ,Peter Robbins(the ORIGINAL voice of Charlie Brown in the Peanuts specials,as son Alexander),Pamelyn Ferdin as daughter Cookie,the late Jim Backus as Mr.Dithers,and the late Henny Backus as Dithers'wife,Cora. 2)Fay-A 1975 NBC comedy starring Lee Grant.It had lots of promise,but back then,NBC's "Mad Programmer",slotted it in the wrong time slot(creator Susan Harris of "The Golden Girls" fame blamed its' demise on that-the writing was adult,but weakened thanks to NBC's meddling) 3) " Calucci's Dept"-A 1973 CBS bomb starring the late James Coco,was doomed from the start-pitted against the powerhouse NBC "Sanford and Son".
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
joan davis fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrezny@usnetizen
All were midseason cancellations:1)Blondie-This 1968 CBS turkey starred Will Hutchins(Dagwood),Patricia Harty(Blondie) ,Peter Robbins(the ORIGINAL voice of Charlie Brown in the Peanuts specials,as son Alexander),Pamelyn Ferdin as daughter Cookie,the late Jim Backus as Mr.Dithers,and the late Henny Backus as Dithers'wife,Cora.
The 1968 Blondie would have had a better shot had they casted the originial Blondie cast ( Arthur Lake, Penny Singleton, Larry Sims...) rather than unkowns and considering that with the exception of Jon Hale ( Mr. Dithers )..everyone from the 40's Blondie flicks were still alive in 1968, too bad they didn't ask them first.
joan davis fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
bencasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan davis fan
The 1968 Blondie would have had a better shot had they casted the originial Blondie cast ( Arthur Lake, Penny Singleton, Larry Sims...) rather than unkowns and considering that with the exception of Jon Hale ( Mr. Dithers )..everyone from the 40's Blondie flicks were still alive in 1968, too bad they didn't ask them first.

You're kidding, right? Arthur Lake was 63 years old at the time. He was already too old when he was in the 1957 Blondie. Penny Singleton was 60 and she was already too old to be used in the 50s series. Blondie and Dagwood weren't supposed to be senior citizens. As to the cast being unknowns, that's also crap. Will Hutchins starred in 2 previous series, Sugarfoot and Hey Landlord and Patricia Harty had starred in Occasional Wife. In 1968, they were far better known to TV viewers than Lake and Singleton were.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
bencasey

Fay would have been a good show but NBC in their infinite wisdom moved it to a family hour timeslot. I've only seen the pilot for Calucci's Department and its pretty funny. Never saw it at the time because I was watching Sanford and Son like everybody else was.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Du Mont
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Fay (NBC), absolutely dvd-worthy

Quote:
2) Fay-A 1975 NBC comedy starring Lee Grant. It had lots of promise, but back then, NBC's "Mad Programmer", slotted it in the wrong time slot (creator Susan Harris of "The Golden Girls" fame blamed its' demise on that-the writing was adult, but weakened thanks to NBC's meddling).
'Fay' was a sophisticated adult comedy, displaying the talents and sparkling wit of Miss Lee Grant playing a sexy divorcee attempting to start anew. The writers were trying to create a more sexual version of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show', but the show got slotted within the dreaded Family Hour (7-9 pm) restrictions that the FCC got the nets to voluntarily comply with for a few years in the '70s.

The series came in third in its slot, averaging a 12.3HH, and beaten quite handily by ABC's prison comedy 'On the Rocks' (17.4HH) and absolutely trounced by CBS's family drama 'The Waltons' (22.7HH). In fairness, it had a dreadful lead-in Nielsen from 'The Montefuscos' which attracted a paltry 11.4HH.

I remember Miss Lee Grant appearing on 'The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson' where she really laid into Mr. Marvin Antonowsky, labelling him as the "mad programmer" and giving him the middle finger.

NBC never broadcast all of the episodes produced (I think there are at least three unaired episodes), and I certainly hope that Miss Susan Harris held on to those masters. This would be worthy of a DVD release simply because of the superb, Emmy-nominated performances of Miss Lee Grant.
Du Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
TV Knowledge Fan

Default "FAY" was co-produced by Susan Harris and Paul Junger Witt...

...in association with MCA/Universal. Their successor, NBC/Universal, not only have the video masters of all 10 episodes, four of them were "kinnied" and re-edited into an ersatz TV movie, "Man Trouble", as part of a syndicated MCA-TV package of "one season wonders masquerading as overseas theatrical/TV movies" in the late '70s [WCBS-TV in New York used to air that and the others on their weekend "LATE SHOW"]. What you probably didn't know is that all of the remaining episodes were "burned off" (with some repeats) on Wednesday nights during May and June, 1976. If some distributor- say, Shout! Factory- could swing a deal with NBC/Universal to release the series on DVD {NBC/U certainly won't!**...who knows?

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
TV Knowledge Fan

Default "CALUCCI'S DEPARTMENT"....

....was produced in New York by Sullivan Productions (Ed's son-in-law, Bob Precht {also his producer during the last decade of his long-running variety show**, was running the company for him).

Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
bencasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
....was produced in New York by Sullivan Productions (Ed's son-in-law, Bob Precht {also his producer during the last decade of his long-running variety show**, was running the company for him).

I spoke with the Sullivan people a few years back and they tracked down the masters for me. They are being housed at the CBS vaults in Pennsylvania at Iron Mountain. At least we know they exist, for whatever good that does. I'd love to see more as the pilot was very funny and I actually was going through my TV Guides a few days ago and read the TV Guide review which was quite favorable.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Rezny@gmail.com

And how about this one from 1973?NBC's "Diana",with Diana Rigg of "The Avengers" fame?The executive producer of this copy(sort of)of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"and "Rhoda"was Leonard ("Get Smart")Stern.Was it any good?
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Leonard Stern has produced his share of "One Season Wonders"...

...even the producer of "GET SMART", "THE GOOD GUYS", and "THE GOVERNOR AND J.J." also produced unsuccessful series, including "I'M DICKENS...HE'S FENSTER", "HE & SHE" and "HOLMES & YOYO". "DIANA" fell inbetween those. Diana Rigg herself later admitted she primarily agreed to appear in it for the money. Whatever merits the series had, it was done in by appearing opposite CBS' "GUNSMOKE" and ABC's "THE ROOKIES".

Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
bencasey

Quote:
And how about this one from 1973?NBC's "Diana",with Diana Rigg of "The Avengers" fame?The executive producer of this copy(sort of)of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"and "Rhoda"was Leonard ("Get Smart")Stern.Was it any good?

I have a few of them and frankly its really not a very good show. Rigg, as always, is great, but she's done in by the poor writing. I have what is probably the most interesting episode of the show where Patrick MacNee guests. That's about the only thing about it that's interesting.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...even the producer of "GET SMART", "THE GOOD GUYS", and "THE GOVERNOR AND J.J." also produced unsuccessful series, including "I'M DICKENS...HE'S FENSTER", "HE & SHE" and "HOLMES & YOYO".
I saw some of Holmes & Yoyo years ago but can't really remember anything about it.

I really want to sit down and watch I'm Dickens...He's Fenster -- I've been intrigued by that for a long time.

Regarding that "new" Blondie cast: Jim Backus would have made a great Mr. Dithers, though a little too tall and slim as compared with the comic strip character.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
OOliver
Forum Regular

OMG - I vaguely remember BLONDIE (I was only five years old), I do remember FAY and CALUCCI. Wow - this is going way back!
OOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
I saw some of Holmes & Yoyo years ago but can't really remember anything about it.
I use to really like that show here's some news on the show.
Cast
Complete series cast summary:
John Schuck ... Gregory 'Yoyo' Yoyonovich (13 episodes, 1976-1977)
Richard B. Shull ... Det. Alexander Holmes (13 episodes, 1976-1977)
Bruce Kirby ... Capt. Harry Sedford (13 episodes, 1976-1977)
Andrea Howard ... Officer Maxine Moon (13 episodes, 1976-1977)
Storyline
Det. Alexander Holmes has no luck with his partners. They always end up at the hospital or the morgue. But this won't happen to his very new partner "Yoyo": a sophisticated indestructible android..

Yoyo could take a pic by pressing his nose, sometimes he'd get stuck and repeat things John Shuck went on to play the new Herman Munster in The Munsters Today in the 80's.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
howilu

Calucci's Department was created by Renee Taylor and her husband Joe Bologna. The show starred James Coco and took place in an unemployment office.
howilu is offline   Reply With Quote