Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #31
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes106
I also remember Space Above and Beyond. I thought it was pretty good. I also liked Reunion. It was weak at first but had potential.
I remember Reunion; saw a few eps. of it but didn't get into it.

I also remember hearing the show ended unresolved.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #32
browneyes106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I remember Reunion; saw a few eps. of it but didn't get into it.

I also remember hearing the show ended unresolved.
One of nine of the thirteen episodes filmed were aired on Fox. A few countries in Europe did air all thirteen episodes. Later on the creators of the show did say how they were planning to end the murder mystery.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #33
yankeesrj12

The only good show on that whole list is Family Guy.
yankeesrj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #34
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

The one cancelation (besides Arrested Development) that made me mad was when Fox canceled the Visitor back in 1998. The show didn't have much of a chance to begin with, since it aired on Fridays at 8:00 pm, but it was one of the few shows I made an effort to watch every week at that time. It starred John Corbett as a man who is abducted by aliens in the Bermuda Triangle in 1947 and later winds up in 1997 with powers which makes him a target of the FBI and the military. It was sorta like a sci fi version of the Fugitive.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #35
factsoflife

Fox destroyed my life (not really), but i was really upset when they cancelled both Models Inc., (1994-1995) and Pacific Pallisades (1997). I loved both those shows and was sad when they were cancelled.

I also think they prematurely cancelled both "Ally McBeal" (another season and it could have been revived creatively) and "Boston Public" (didn't even get a proper ending!).
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
ekkostar
Coffee, Tea & Larroquette!

Send a message via Yahoo to ekkostar

I agree with Profit, Keen Eddie and Futurama, but I'm sick to death of Arrested Development, it's right up there with Chris Elliott's Get A Life as one of Fox's most overrated prematurely canceled shows. Arrested Development is basically treated like a live action Invader Zim with the bizarre cult following. I also don't understand the hype of Firefly at all, then again I'm not a Joss Whedon fan (actually, I sort of think he's a douche).

I seriously do not see the hype that either of those shows get, then again I see through the transparent hype in a lot of things.

BTW, I remember the pilot for Reunion. Addicted to Love was involved and I recall seeing the album cover for Riptide during that scene. No, I'm not a Robert Palmer nerd at all

"All my sitcoms had an audience, with four or five cameras, so working this way has always been appealing to me." - John Larroquette

A living legend, five Emmys and a Tony award! Your favorites could never...

ekkostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
Torgo
Forum Veteran

I haven't seen Werewolf since the 80's but it was one of my favorite shows when it was on.

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr is a great series. A great blend of Western, Comedy, and Scifi. Recently rewatched the series on DVD and it still holds up well. Billy Drago as John Bly is one of TV's greatest villians.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #38
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
I haven't seen Werewolf since the 80's but it was one of my favorite shows when it was on.
It was due to come out on DVD last summer but because of music issues Shout! had to cancel it.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #39
Torgo
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
It was due to come out on DVD last summer but because of music issues Shout! had to cancel it.
That sucks
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #40
browneyes106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
The one cancelation (besides Arrested Development) that made me mad was when Fox canceled the Visitor back in 1998. The show didn't have much of a chance to begin with, since it aired on Fridays at 8:00 pm, but it was one of the few shows I made an effort to watch every week at that time. It starred John Corbett as a man who is abducted by aliens in the Bermuda Triangle in 1947 and later winds up in 1997 with powers which makes him a target of the FBI and the military. It was sorta like a sci fi version of the Fugitive.
I remember seeing a few episodes of that show. I thought it had potential. I remember a couple of years back it was mentioned in a review of The 4400.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #41
Syndication
Occasional Poster

Andy richter sitcoms
Arrested Development
Tru Calling

a bunch in the early 90s fox days that i liked(open house/duet)
Syndication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #42
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I'm surprised no one mentioned Back To You - I was very disappointed when it got the ax because I really liked the show and felt it had a lot of potential. I also agree with the list's choices of Firefly and Keen Eddie. But at least Mark Valley is back on the network with Human Target.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #43
TheLazenby
Occasional Poster

Let's not forget a biggie, which only saw the airing of its two-hour pilot...

A little show called "Doctor Who."

I've heard that a big reason for its failure was that American audiences unfamiliar with the original series (i.e., anyone who didn't watch PBS) were confused by the concept of regeneration - time was spent establishing the Doctor's character at the beginning, only to have him be gunned down and turn into a completely different character. Of course, to those familiar with the original series, the transition from the Seventh to Eighth Doctor was just the next step in continuity.

But, I suppose it was for the best - if "Doctor Who" had remained on Fox, then it probably would've died out after a few years, and the new BBC version likely wouldn't have happened.
TheLazenby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #44
Torgo
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazenby
Let's not forget a biggie, which only saw the airing of its two-hour pilot...

A little show called "Doctor Who."

I've heard that a big reason for its failure was that American audiences unfamiliar with the original series (i.e., anyone who didn't watch PBS) were confused by the concept of regeneration - time was spent establishing the Doctor's character at the beginning, only to have him be gunned down and turn into a completely different character. Of course, to those familiar with the original series, the transition from the Seventh to Eighth Doctor was just the next step in continuity.

But, I suppose it was for the best - if "Doctor Who" had remained on Fox, then it probably would've died out after a few years, and the new BBC version likely wouldn't have happened.
Paul McGann did an excellent job playing The Doctor.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #45
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I'm surprised no one mentioned Back To You - I was very disappointed when it got the ax because I really liked the show and felt it had a lot of potential. I also agree with the list's choices of Firefly and Keen Eddie. But at least Mark Valley is back on the network with Human Target.
I remember when they were considering cancelling Back To You. Fox claimed they didn't have room on their schedule for both freshman shows, Back to You and 'Til Death. 'Til Death was saved and Back To You was axed. I think they picked the wrong show.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote