Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #46
robmic
Frequent Poster

How did this thread become a debate over spanking? I think the original poster just wanted to start a thread stating what characters got a spanking in their TV shows.
robmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #47
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

in the 2nd part of a 2-part episode of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES Granny spanked a girl who was a con artist and was partnered with a man who was also one and they were trying to con the Clampetts.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #48
robmic
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
in the 2nd part of a 2-part episode of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES Granny spanked a girl who was a con artist and was partnered with a man who was also one and they were trying to con the Clampetts.
Yes, "The Beverly Hillbillies" had numerous spankings or at least threats. In one episode Granny spanks Pearl with a paddle, and in two episodes I remember she spanked Jethro with a frying pan. Jed gave Ellie Mae a swat in at least one episode. Those were the actual spankings. The threats to spank were beyond counting in that show!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #49
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
MacLeaper: We have to remember that even the worst abuse starts with one first blow. That's why it's best to never start spanking. The episode where Roseanne hits DJ really handles this. Dan says that DJ deserved it, but Roseanne is afraid of becoming like her abusive father, and Jackie sure understands her feelings. Yeah, it's easy to get angry. But even when children really misbehave, surely there are others ways of disciplin? And the Bible says a lot of different things, that even most devout Christians wouldn't do today...
I will just clarify this and then let it go, since I don't want to derail the thread any further. But I should have pointed out earlier that there are different methods of discipline and I do think appropriate measures can be used for different situations. However, I do think there are times where a spanking is merited and yes, it is the Biblical method of discipline prescribed. As to how much of The Bible Christians follow- that could lead to a different debate altogether, but I try to follow all of it. (Remember to read and keep everything in context on that point.)
Anyway- I know different people have different and strong feelings on this and I didn't mean to judge anyone for their parenting style. I do feel every parent has a responsibility to discipline their children in a loving way and I also think every parent should have the right to decide for themselves how to do so- though obviously abuse is not a valid choice.

Okay- anyway, sorry to have gotten off on a different tack.
Back to the previously scheduled topic- lol.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #50
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

On the "Little Girl Lost" episode of "Bonanza", Ben Cartwright gives a bratty little girl a spanking over the knee.
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #51
robmic
Frequent Poster

Didn't Ernie get a spanking in "My Three Sons", or am I just imagining things?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 AM   #52
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

on McHALES NAVY once McHale spanked a bratty, smart-ass kid who kept trying to get the crew in trouble.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #53
charlie_voy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andress_jade
Spanking isn't encouraged as much anymore as a form of discipline. A lot of "professionals" think that other reinforcements work better. My opinion is that if a child misbehaves more than once for the same offense and is punished numerous times, like being put in the corner, privileges taken away, etc. and they still don't learn, then spanking is the next step. In this day and age, spanking is considered abuse and I disagree with that. Abuse is when a parent hits a child on the face, pulls their arm, pushes them against a wall, or knocks them to the floor, things like that.
I agree with you but I would hasten to point out that just spanking is not illegal.
charlie_voy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #54
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

To me, abuse when one goes too far with the punishment of spanking or doing something that can cause serious harm. That is why I don't believe that one should strike a child out of anger because sometimes, it could possibly lead up to abuse. I am in favor of spanking if some correction needs to be done, though.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 AM   #55
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

once on BEWITCHED Samantha threatened to spank Tabitha.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 AM   #56
Tubehead

Default spanking

I Remember when Ricky used to spank Lucy most of the episodes she does something wrong
Tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #57
FuriosityShell
FuriosityShell
Forum Regular

There was an episode of Good Times where James Evans spanked a kid named Eddie who was bullying Michael. It was played for laughs and it was really funny. But if it was in real-life, it wouldn't be funny considering James didn't have the right to spank a kid that wasn't his. I don't believe in spanking children. I'm afraid that it only enforces the idea that violence is the solution to problems. However, I do not judge people who do spank their children and I understand why they do it.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #58
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sparky
I don't recall Danny ever being spanked in the Partridge Family. Do you know what episode that happened? I know that in the episode "The Sound of Money", Shirley threatens to spank Chris, but it is never carried out.

In Bewitched, there is one episode where Tabitha turns a spoiled boy into a dog, and that boy is later spanked by his mother.
Tabitha is threatened with spankings throughout the series, but the threats are never carried out.
The episode in which Danny got a spanking was "I am a Curious Partridge."
You can go to Google or YouTube and type in that title as well as "The Partridge Family" and you should be able to access it.
It seems that with all his misbehavior on many episodes, Danny was never punished like this. The word "Spanking" was not used though. The word "Beat up" was. I think that is strange.
I am not sure if Keith wanted to literally beat up Danny (via punches) or give him another spanking.
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #59
um
Forum Regular

Speaking of this topic, I recall one "I Dream Of Jeannie" episode in which Jeannie's master had to deal with a bratty kid and at the very end of the show, the kid's father bends him over his knee and spanks him. I don't recall the title of that episode. Anyone know? I don't think it is "Jeannie and the Curious Kid," or
"Abdullah."

Also I have a recollection of one of the Lucielle Ball shows (she had a few sit-coms besides "Lucy and Dezi") in which she had to baby sit a teenager (or back then it seemed to be a teenager) and I recall the part when she came to the home of the teen and the housemaid said to Lucy "I will let him out of his cage" and the teen plays all kinds of tricks on Lucy but by the end of the episode Lucy just bends him over her knee and spanks him saying "I want to have some fun, fun!!"
I think the parents come and say that she gave him what he needed.
I was very young when I saw this, so some of the description might be a bit off.
I also think I recall an episode of the Patty Duke show in which she had to baby sit a badly behaved boy and somehow Patty got the kid to unknowingly play a trick on his own father whom then spanks him.

If anyone know about the names of these episodes or whether they are on YouTube or if there are discussions on any website about them, let me know. I especially want to find out about the Lucielle Ball episode.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #60
um
Forum Regular

computer difficulties