Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
marlins3
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2007
Posts: 365
Default

I think I was the first on here to mention the photographs that did not resemble Curt. The ONLY thing that keeps me from dismissing the family altogether is the fact the father says he was confonted in a parking lot and signed the document which changed Curt's status. The Army official interviewed was adamant the military does not work that way and I believe he is right. However, after signing the paper Curt's family received a large check. I assume the check was issued from teh federal government. If there was no check (and the fact his ss# came up as never issued), I would think this whole story is a crock.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
cocytus
Member
Forum Regular
 
cocytus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 779
Default Unfortunately,this doesn't appear to be true

While it would be great that Curt Borton survived Vietnam and was alive somewhere.
However, the evidence portrayed in segment points to that not being the case.

1) He hadn't been in the military very long so him being sent on a "special mission" was very unlikely.
2) When the Marine Corps found teeth that they believed to be his,a simple mitochondrial DNA test would have confirmed his identity. The family didn't seem to have taken this test.
3) The guy that was stalking (if somebody was) could have been in more trouble if he had played a cat and mouse game if he was Curt Borton.
4) If the family believe that he was alive,why didn't they hire a PI when they receive the $43,000 check? This would have solved most of their concerns as a professional investigator would have easily dismissed the less credible information sources.
5) The Vietnam conflict had ended almost 20 years BEFORE this segment was originally aired. Whatever Borton was supposed to have been doing would have ended many years before then.There would be no reason for him to remain "undercover" and doing as such would have been expensive and pointless.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
egswanso
Member
Forum Regular
 
egswanso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlins3
I think I was the first on here to mention the photographs that did not resemble Curt. The ONLY thing that keeps me from dismissing the family altogether is the fact the father says he was confonted in a parking lot and signed the document which changed Curt's status. The Army official interviewed was adamant the military does not work that way and I believe he is right. However, after signing the paper Curt's family received a large check. I assume the check was issued from teh federal government. If there was no check (and the fact his ss# came up as never issued), I would think this whole story is a crock.
His SSN doesn't come up as not issued. At least, it didn't when I ran a search for him in the Vietnam casualty database on ancestry.com. Specifically:

Name: Robert Curtis Borton Jr
Birth Date: 24 Jun 1946
Death Date: 24 Aug 1977
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Race: Caucasian (White)
Home City: Winfield Lincoln
Home State: Michigan
Religion: No Religious Preference
Marital Status: Single (Spouse Not Listed)
SSN/Service #: 492-48-6171
Citizen Status: U.S.
Death Date: 24 Aug 1977
Processed Date: Dec 1995
Casualty Country: Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam)
Casualty Type: Hostile - Died While Missing
Casualty Reason: Unknown or Not Reported
Casualty Air: Ground Casualty
Body Status: Body Recovered
Service Branch: United States Marine Corps
Component: Regular (RA, USN, USAF, USMC, USCG)
Pay Grade: Specialist Seventh Class (U.S. Army) or Sergeant First Class (U.S. Army) or Master Sergeant (U.S. Air Force) or Gunnery Sergeant (U.S. Marine Corps) or Platoon Sergeant (U.S. Army) or Grade/Rate Abbreviations With First Column: Any Entry; Second Column: A
Province: Military Region 1 - Quang Nam
Service Occupation: Rifleman (USMC)
Data Source: Combat Area Casualties Current File

Run this SSN in the death index, and it comes up with the same information on name, DOB, and DOD. The 1977 death date, according to the database, was "not actually death dates, but the dates in which MIA or POW soldiers were officially declared deceased."

There is a simple solution to this mystery - just run a DNA test on the remains the gov't says are Curt's. If there is a match, mystery solved.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
bluejazz87
Member
Frequent Poster
 
bluejazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 17, 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso
His SSN doesn't come up as not issued. At least, it didn't when I ran a search for him in the Vietnam casualty database on ancestry.com. Specifically:

Name: Robert Curtis Borton Jr
Birth Date: 24 Jun 1946
Death Date: 24 Aug 1977
Gender: Male
Age: 31
Race: Caucasian (White)
Home City: Winfield Lincoln
Home State: Michigan
Religion: No Religious Preference
Marital Status: Single (Spouse Not Listed)
SSN/Service #: 492-48-6171
Citizen Status: U.S.
Death Date: 24 Aug 1977
Processed Date: Dec 1995
Casualty Country: Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam)
Casualty Type: Hostile - Died While Missing
Casualty Reason: Unknown or Not Reported
Casualty Air: Ground Casualty
Body Status: Body Recovered
Service Branch: United States Marine Corps
Component: Regular (RA, USN, USAF, USMC, USCG)
Pay Grade: Specialist Seventh Class (U.S. Army) or Sergeant First Class (U.S. Army) or Master Sergeant (U.S. Air Force) or Gunnery Sergeant (U.S. Marine Corps) or Platoon Sergeant (U.S. Army) or Grade/Rate Abbreviations With First Column: Any Entry; Second Column: A
Province: Military Region 1 - Quang Nam
Service Occupation: Rifleman (USMC)
Data Source: Combat Area Casualties Current File

Run this SSN in the death index, and it comes up with the same information on name, DOB, and DOD. The 1977 death date, according to the database, was "not actually death dates, but the dates in which MIA or POW soldiers were officially declared deceased."

There is a simple solution to this mystery - just run a DNA test on the remains the gov't says are Curt's. If there is a match, mystery solved.
But what about then? Has that number always been registered?

There just seems to be too many weird occurrences for this to be easily dismissed as the family "seeing what they want to see". Especially if you take into consideration all of the people they encountered throughout the years.

Oh and what about that man who held a gun to the family member that tried searching for the SSN? Why didn't it come up at the time when the person searched it? And apparently doing such a gesture got him a death threat.
__________________
http://dynamo650.blogspot.com/
bluejazz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
justins5256
Member
Senior Member
 
justins5256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2002
Posts: 3,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso
His SSN doesn't come up as not issued. At least, it didn't when I ran a search for him in the Vietnam casualty database on ancestry.com.
LOL, were you threatened at gunpoint after you looked that up?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
RobinW
Member
Senior Member
 
RobinW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 1,851
Default

I think it speaks volumes that on virtually other UM story about suspicious military disappearances or suicides, RS would always open with the statement: "The military declined to participate in our broadcast". In the Curt Borton segment, they actually let a military spokesperson be interviewed on camera to deny the allegations, as if to say: "We REALLY don't have anything to hide on this one, so we have no problem defending ourselves and denouncing this family's laughable accusations".
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #22
bluejazz87
Member
Frequent Poster
 
bluejazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 17, 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I think it speaks volumes that on virtually other UM story about suspicious military disappearances or suicides, RS would always open with the statement: "The military declined to participate in our broadcast". In the Curt Borton segment, they actually let a military spokesperson be interviewed on camera to deny the allegations, as if to say: "We REALLY don't have anything to hide on this one, so we have no problem defending ourselves and denouncing this family's laughable accusations".
That doesn't mean the military is telling the truth though. Especially after all the unusual incidents that occurred.
bluejazz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #23
egswanso
Member
Forum Regular
 
egswanso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejazz87
Oh and what about that man who held a gun to the family member that tried searching for the SSN? Why didn't it come up at the time when the person searched it? And apparently doing such a gesture got him a death threat.
The SSN is on the internet, available to billions of people from a variety of sites. So I find that claim absurd, to say the least.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
egswanso
Member
Forum Regular
 
egswanso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
LOL, were you threatened at gunpoint after you looked that up?
Nope.

Gotta wonder about a vast conspiracy that doesn't bother to redact the supposed secret information from public databases...
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
bluejazz87
Member
Frequent Poster
 
bluejazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 17, 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso
The SSN is on the internet, available to billions of people from a variety of sites. So I find that claim absurd, to say the least.
Well the SSN is available now. But what about back then? You can't be certain. The cousin could always be lying, but why fabricate such a story? What would be the motive? It wouldn't get them any closer to finding Borton.
bluejazz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
egswanso
Member
Forum Regular
 
egswanso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejazz87
Well the SSN is available now. But what about back then? You can't be certain. The cousin could always be lying, but why fabricate such a story? What would be the motive? It wouldn't get them any closer to finding Borton.
Well, I can't say about "back then" since I didn't look back then, but it's just not a plausible story considering that there's no reason to hide this information and it's virtually impossible to believe that something would move from being so secret the gov't would kill over it to public domain so quickly.

Why would the cousin lie? Why would anyone? Publicity, for one. Conspiracy theory books tend to sell too, so the profit factor can't be ruled out, either.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #27
RobinW
Member
Senior Member
 
RobinW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 1,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejazz87
That doesn't mean the military is telling the truth though. Especially after all the unusual incidents that occurred.
Oh, I agree, but I just find it interesting that with all the mysterious cover-up cases on UM, the military would actually agree to cooperate on what is arguably one of the least believable ones they've profiled.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #28
bluejazz87
Member
Frequent Poster
 
bluejazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 17, 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso
Well, I can't say about "back then" since I didn't look back then, but it's just not a plausible story considering that there's no reason to hide this information and it's virtually impossible to believe that something would move from being so secret the gov't would kill over it to public domain so quickly.

Why would the cousin lie? Why would anyone? Publicity, for one. Conspiracy theory books tend to sell too, so the profit factor can't be ruled out, either.
Ehhh I think you're kind of going off on a tangent with what the cousin said. Is there any basis for the conclusion to dismiss his story? He's trying to help his family. I don't see why he would lie. Even if you don't want to believe him, you can't dismiss his accounts and just assume it was all made up because the SSN for Borton is found in the database now. In my opinion that isn't enough to dismiss his accounts, or anyone else's for that matter. Especially the sister who saw him on three separate occasions for that matter. Just way too many reported incidents to simply say "oh the family just saw what they wanted to see". Way too many to go that route. Think about it, the sister's sightings, the cousin's encounter at gunpoint and being followed, and the father being pursued by those two men.
bluejazz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #29
bluejazz87
Member
Frequent Poster
 
bluejazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 17, 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Oh, I agree, but I just find it interesting that with all the mysterious cover-up cases on UM, the military would actually agree to cooperate on what is arguably one of the least believable ones they've profiled.
Well sometimes the military would cooperate on UM on even stranger cases. Some of the paranormal like UFO's and such and gave statements. So...
bluejazz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #30
egswanso
Member
Forum Regular
 
egswanso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejazz87
Ehhh I think you're kind of going off on a tangent with what the cousin said. Is there any basis for the conclusion to dismiss his story? He's trying to help his family. I don't see why he would lie. Even if you don't want to believe him, you can't dismiss his accounts and just assume it was all made up because the SSN for Borton is found in the database now. In my opinion that isn't enough to dismiss his accounts, or anyone else's for that matter. Especially the sister who saw him on three separate occasions for that matter. Just way too many reported incidents to simply say "oh the family just saw what they wanted to see". Way too many to go that route. Think about it, the sister's sightings, the cousin's encounter at gunpoint and being followed, and the father being pursued by those two men.
I dismiss the whole thing because it's absurd and illogical.

What is the purpose of the "secret returnee" program? The family claims it's because the government doesn't want to admit POWs might have been left behind. It is odd, then, that:

1. The Government told the family that there were sighting of Curt after the
Paris Peace Accords.

2. Curt's name (with thousands of others) is on the 1991 "Last Known Alive"
list.

The sister's sightings are as credible as any other eyewitness sightings, i.e., not very. Did she see someone who might have resembled her brother? Sure. Was it him, very unlikely.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.