Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #61
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Just bumping this because it was on my mind recently...

What was your take on Tony Ballesteros (sp?)?

Out of all the people interviewed on UM who could have been considered a suspect or person of interest in a crime/disappearance, it was my impression that he was completely innocent, and had no connection to David Stone. I actually kind of felt bad for how he got dragged in to the case.
That was totally random to even include him. Simply because Stone had his business card in his possession?! It seemed fairly obvious that Stone found it in the desert and just picked it up and, for his own reasons, kept it.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #62
wiseguy182

The business card was found in his Bible. He was probably using it as a bookmark.

This wasn't the only case on UM where the significance of a business card is overplayed. Another one was Annette Kay Schnee/Bobbie Oberholtzer. Why they thought Jeff was the leading suspect because of a business card is beyond me. He picked Annette up hitchhiking one day and probably used it to drum up business, or make her feel more at ease.

I feel really bad for Jeff Oberholtzer. The investigator on that case was all 'he knew both victims, so that makes him a leading suspect." Geez, one was an area resident and the other was his WIFE!!! Totally conceivable he would know both women.

Poor guy. Had to live with those accusations all those years because the investigator was an incompetent fool.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #63
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
That was totally random to even include him. Simply because Stone had his business card in his possession?! It seemed fairly obvious that Stone found it in the desert and just picked it up and, for his own reasons, kept it.
In the original version of the segment, before they added the update about Stone's remains being found, there is a little blurb at the end about how Stone's parents believed he was still alive and possibly living in a "New Age Commune."

I'm just guessing here, but if this is what the parents truly believed at the time of David's disappearance, then it would explain why they contacted Ballesteros. They likely were willing to pursue anything that might lead to an explanation.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #64
wiseguy182

I can understand why David's parents contacted Tony Ballesteros, but I don't think he was connected to the New Age movement in any way and was probably just some random business person. For all of the talk about Tony Ballesteros (heck, there was an even a poster/troll named Tony Ballesteros) I have to think the real Tony Ballesteros would be pretty amused there was so much discussion about him to this day.

I think Meg's theory is the best one: David Stone didn't commit suicide per se, but he worked in the financial sector and was probably completely ignorant of what it took to survive for any length of time in the desert. Call it a 'suicide by ignorance' for lack of a better term.

Interestingly, this case aired on 10/31/90, exactly two years after his disappearance. 2 years later, his remains were found.

Last edited by wiseguy182; 07-05-2014 at 01:01 AM.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #65
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I can understand why David's parents contacted Tony Ballesteros, but I don't think he was connected to the New Age movement in any way and was probably just some random business person. For all of the talk about Tony Ballesteros (heck, there was an even a poster/troll named Tony Ballesteros) I have to think the real Tony Ballesteros would be pretty amused there was so much discussion about him to this day.

I think Meg's theory is the best one: David Stone didn't commit suicide per se, but he worked in the financial sector and was probably completely ignorant of what it took to survive for any length of time in the desert. Call it a 'suicide by ignorance' for lack of a better term.

Interestingly, this case aired on 10/31/90, exactly two years after his disappearance. 2 years later, his remains were found.
Yes, I agree in that I doubt Ballesteros had a connection to the New Age movement. However, his card being found where it was (I think it was a pocket version of the New Testament) and perhaps how generic it was (as you noted in an earlier post - assuming that was his actual card shown on the segment) I can understand the parents contacting him.

Ironically, I was putting some books away recently and a business card slipped out of one of them. I was using the business card as a bookmark years ago. I have no idea who the guy is or what his business was though I think he might have been a client of the firm I was working for at the time. Interestingly, it's also out of state, as I picked up the business card several years ago when I was living in different state. I can just imagine the chaos that might ensue if I "mysteriously disappeared" and my family found this thing.

I believe it was DarkDante who commented on this and actually began a thread about it at one point - people who disappear in the desert or prairie. There have been at least three on UM that I can immediately recall: Don Kemp, David Stone, and Daniel Wilson. You have to wonder what motivated these guys to just start wandering aimlessly out there where chances of survival are slim to none and there is no rational reason to do so. It just seems like such an odd way to go out.

Yes, the episode originally aired on Halloween Night, 1990, approximately 2 years after David Stone vanished. UM was good about doing this some times. I know that Tara Calico episode aired exactly one year after she disappeared. I believe Stack mentioned that.

I've always wished more info was disclosed about the remains that were found. Specifically, where they were found in relation to the other clues Stone left behind.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #66
DarkDante

Quote:
I believe it was DarkDante who commented on this and actually began a thread about it at one point - people who disappear in the desert or prairie. There have been at least three on UM that I can immediately recall: Don Kemp, David Stone, and Daniel Wilson. You have to wonder what motivated these guys to just start wandering aimlessly out there where chances of survival are slim to none and there is no rational reason to do so. It just seems like such an odd way to go out.
Of which the David Stone disappearance into the desert is at least in my opinion by far the most mysterious. UM offered what I feel to be a rather plausible explanation as to what may have happened to Dan Wilson regarding the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning but I also think it's just as likely that Wilson was a suicide (were the authorities able to gauge anything by examining his remains? I don't think so?)

On the forums I think we have come up with a decent theory as to what may have happened to Donald Kemp. I believe a lot of folks on the forum seem to subscribe to the theory that Kemp may have had a minor stroke which left him without the faculties to make it back to his vehicle. I have to say even though I still have some questions about the Kemp case, the idea that Don Kemp's demise had something to do with a medical issue does seem likely to me.

David Stone is just another matter all together. The only thing I can think of is he died from exhaustion/exposure to the elements or what have you. He could have been out there in the desert on his vision quest, got disorientated and was unable to make it back to the highway. There are some really bizarre things about this case though which have been discussed whether it be the numbers in the sand or leaving his Bible behind. Just a lot of odd things that make you wonder what really did happen out there.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #67
wiseguy182

Yep, Stack did mention the one year anniversary of Tara's disappearance.

I am in the belief that David Stone was having mental issues shortly before his disappearance. Anyone that punches someone 20-25 times over a minor incident is probably not of sound mind. Stone didn't have any previous issues with mental health that I'm aware of, but these things can come on suddenly and out of the blue. A good example would be Mark Luplow, whom I just mentioned in "All Other Cases".
Old 07-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #68
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
In the original version of the segment, before they added the update about Stone's remains being found, there is a little blurb at the end about how Stone's parents believed he was still alive and possibly living in a "New Age Commune."

I'm just guessing here, but if this is what the parents truly believed at the time of David's disappearance, then it would explain why they contacted Ballesteros. They likely were willing to pursue anything that might lead to an explanation.
I understand why David's parents would want to contact him, but I just though UM added an unnecessary part to the segment to play up the mysterious angle. Assuming of course that Ballesteros was contacted by Law Enforcement and ruled out before the segment was filmed.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #69
drMorgus
Occasional Poster

I remember the original segment with Stack from many years ago when I first saw it and watched a couple of more times. They just re-aired this segment with Dennis Farina doing the hosting duties. I have to say after reading all of the replies in this thread the one that seems to now make the most sense is that he simply died of exposure. I do agree with one of the posts mentioning that he comes off as a stuck up preppy type that certainly underestimated the extreme weather changes in the desert. No hat and under the heat of the sun wandering around probably made him go batty. The one part of the segment that always interested me was when they spoke to one of the guys that went looking for him and said he had that strange feeling that David was watching them and refused to come out. That's telling, says to me that indeed if he was in his right mind he made the choice to elude them and if he was not in the right mind he might have been afraid of them.

Some of you guys did a great job deciphering that note which to this day still makes no sense. Great work guys and indeed the simplest answer seems to fit that he just dies of exposure. Still one of their creepiest segments for sure.
drMorgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #70
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

I feel that David was under some mental/emotional pressure and strain, due to how the influence of his New Age religion was having on him, and it caused him to attack that guy for whatever reason, and feeling ashamed of what he did, David went out to find "the beast", possibly meaning some kind of spiritual thing that would help him find forgiveness for how he acted.

I also find it interesting that one of the people who witnessed David wandering around in the desert said they were surprised he'd be wearing shorts that time of year. Are the autumns in New Mexico that cold? I always thought that New Mexico was hot and sticky all year round.

Ultimately, David had to have died from exposure. The heat mostly likely made him dehydrated, weak and delirious, and not being able to think straight or having anything with him to help keep him hydrated, he succumbed to hyperthermia/dehydration. It was said that the time and cause of death could not be determined, but as far as we know, there was no indication of foul play or suicide.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:15 AM   #71
drMorgus
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan

I also find it interesting that one of the people who witnessed David wandering around in the desert said they were surprised he'd be wearing shorts that time of year. Are the autumns in New Mexico that cold? I always thought that New Mexico was hot and sticky all year round.
I am with you there and since I dont really know I just had to pull up the weather (average) temps for New Mexico from last year

Climate Los Alamos - New Mexico F
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
Average High F - 39 43 51 59 69 78 61 78
Average Low F 19 22 27 34 43 52 56 55

Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average High F - 72 61 49 39
Average Low F - 48 38 27 20

The lows are pretty brutal so it came as a surprise to me as well. So David could have easily died of exposure and after a number of days dealing with those temperature changes can be brutal.
drMorgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #72
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I think Mark Dennis killed him.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #73
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I think Mark Dennis killed him.
No. I really think Ballesteros did it. I mean, Stone had his business card, how else could he have gotten it?

Stone was rich. He had an authentic Rolex. Rich people are targeted for robberies. He could have been robbed out there in the desert.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #74
wiseguy182

There is Tony Ballesteros, who was interviewed in the segment, and Tony Ballesteros the poster.

Tony Ballesteros the poster was a trip. I think he might have been a bit before my time (man, that was a long time ago) and was eventually put on global ignore, but you can still see traces of his existence in quotes of his posts. I stumbled on one recently, where he called the boy in the Message in a Bottle segment a "fat little dork" and called him and his mother "idiots". I can just imagine what his collected works might look like.

I remember there was some speculation that he was the *real* Tony Ballesteros, but I think that was disproved and put to rest.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #75
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
I lived in southern Arizona for about half a year in a county that borders the area where David Stone disappeared. I saw nearly a foot of snow on the ground there in December once. The desert can get bitterly cold and icy. It was probably some of the most beautiful and amazing landscape I've ever seen.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote