Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Madame X

Default White Trash Clothing

The wardrobe department did a good job on "Roseanne." The clothing was realistic like what real people wear, especially around the house. Each person had their own style. Dan had real work clothes and wore a football jersey and sweats to bed. Roseanne wore a lot of T-shirts, leggings and sweats. The kids dressed like kids would, not in color-coordinated ensembles like on "Full House," "The Cosby Show," or most other family shows with spotless houses and perpetually brushed hair.

Jackie's outfits were really strange and tacky, especially her shirts and sweaters. I didn't really like the way she dressed, but it definitely added to her character.

I loved the fact that Nana Mary wore a baseball cap and vest and Bev's berets were very distinctive.
Madame X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame X
The wardrobe department did a good job on "Roseanne." The clothing was realistic like what real people wear, especially around the house. Each person had their own style. Dan had real work clothes and wore a football jersey and sweats to bed. Roseanne wore a lot of T-shirts, leggings and sweats. The kids dressed like kids would, not in color-coordinated ensembles like on "Full House," "The Cosby Show," or most other family shows with spotless houses and perpetually brushed hair.

Jackie's outfits were really strange and tacky, especially her shirts and sweaters. I didn't really like the way she dressed, but it definitely added to her character.

I loved the fact that Nana Mary wore a baseball cap and vest and Bev's berets were very distinctive.
AGAIN, THANK U THANK U THANK U.

You always seem to post what I think! I too love the realism the clothing on the show brought forth. It was nice to see the characters wear the same clothing again and again. This was a working class family that had financial woes and it wouldn't make sense to have the kids wearing the best clothes, the hottest shoes, have the perfect hair, etc. It was perfect. I hated seeing shows like the Cosby show, Full House, etc. where the kids wore the best clothes and seemed to NOT wear the clothes over and over again. I know Cosby show is different because the parents were a DOCTOR AND A LAWYER, however, a lot of people in America could not identify with that.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I like how realistic it was with the clothes, too. They didn't have a lot of money. Kudos to the producers for keeping it real.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
coffield3
<3

Yes,they had it spot on i wore clothes simular to them lol! But then again i wonder if roseanne chose what they wore as she had pretty much most say in everything!
coffield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
SparkleFarkle
Domestic Goddess
Frequent Poster

Al Harris' garb was perfect, too: polyester pants pulled up high enough to make them short; tight sweater pulled long with his big belt buckle poking through.
SparkleFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I like how realistic it was with the clothes, too. They didn't have a lot of money. Kudos to the producers for keeping it real.
Not only that, when looking at Roseanne in reruns, it doesn't look like a late 80's-90's show. When you look at shows from the 80's (Cosby Show, Full House, etc) it is so damn obvious from the style of clothes what era it is. With Roseanne, it is not.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Heist81
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
Not only that, when looking at Roseanne in reruns, it doesn't look like a late 80's-90's show. When you look at shows from the 80's (Cosby Show, Full House, etc) it is so damn obvious from the style of clothes what era it is. With Roseanne, it is not.
Definitely. I think the only thing that looked like it was from the 80s was some of their hairstyles. By the time they reached the 2nd season, I thought it could pass as a current day show.
Heist81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
SparkleFarkle
Domestic Goddess
Frequent Poster

Sometimes the clothes made a statement, too (FUN!). Like when Roseanne wore the T-shirt saying, "So, Fire Me!" I'm not so sure if Wardrobe played a part in that ensemble selection-- Roseanne may have been in charge that day!
SparkleFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
Frischman_Fan
Who luvs nerds?! I DO!!!

There were some episodes where Becky wore all of those bracelets on one arm and I remember back in the 90's when I wore my bracelets like that. Who cared if it cut my circulation.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Furienna

Hmmm... I haven't seen too many episodes of "Roseanne" yet, but I actually never noticed the clothes on that show were different from the ones on "Full House" or "The Cosby show". I think the characters on those shows could "dress down" too, at least when they were at home at their own house. Thinking about it, I especially remember Vanessa on "The Cosby show" wearing a leisure suit in one season 5 episode. My sister is born in the same the year as Vanessa (Tempesst Bledsoe), and she had a leisure suit almost like that one back then. And I had one too, but mine was smaller, of course, since I was only four years old. And since we weren't as rich as the Huxtables, that can't have been expensive clothes, even though you could wear them to school or to work. (It was okay to do that according to 80s fashion.)
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
Purffin
Forum Regular

Another thing i loved about the show. They wore the same things over and it wasn't the highest fashion. Remember the chicken shirt. LOL
Purffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #12
Schmoopie
fan fiction fanatic
Forum Veteran

I never thought about their clothes being realistic, but it's so true! Their clothes weren't anything special and I never realized how "coordinated" the Full House kids' clothes were-and the Cosby Show, too.

"Rosanne" was pretty "down to earth" The thing I never liked about it was how loud and obnoxious she could be.

Andrea

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
browneyes106

The clothing styles is one of the things I loved the most about Roseanne. It was a realistic and it showed how a family got by. I thought Nana Mary wearing baseball caps was pretty cool. Bev's berets were hilarious and I agree I think Jackie's wardrobe was really weird. I think Full House was sort of unrealistic in a way because Danny was a single dad and probably had other expenses but his kids seemed to have really nice clothes. I know a lot of single parents with good careers that still struggle. I thought the wardrobe on The Cosby Show and Full House were really bad at times.

Last edited by browneyes106; 10-19-2008 at 12:55 AM.
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
Tinalilly1975
Occasional Poster

Growing up I did wear clothes like that....LOL!!! Styling!!!!
Tinalilly1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
80's Girl
Occasional Poster

Heck yeah, I wore clothes like that too. Just like people have posted before, thats what makes the show "real" and down to earth.
I mean give me a break, the Full House kids wore the clothes before they were in date. Not to mention the dad was single with 3 kids and a huge house to run, with Joe really not ever working and Jessie playing "Guitar Hero".
Don't get me wrong I watched Full House be I think the average American can relate to Roseanne more. It was a family outing for Roseann's group to go out to the mall.
80's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote