Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-25-2006, 05:35 AM   #16
shek
Frequent Poster

Hi Awsi,
No, most of the girls that were killed were walking the road or hitchhiking. Only Lisa and Amy had a car involved. Then they think Amy may have possibly left her car to walk or jog along that area while she was trying to scope the area out for a 10 k race she was organizing. All the girls prior to Lisa were strangled as far as they could tell. Many of the bodies weren't in very good shape when they were found. BTW in a search of another vehicle they impounded of Eaton's, they found essentially what they call a rape kit. Wire ties, flex cuffs, handcuffs, rope and a blue dildo.

Yes Awsi, I will continue to try talk to Eaton personally. He can't change what has happened but I hope to reach his consience if has one to get the anwers for the other victims families. I have made requests through his lawyer, written Eaton directly and most recently, talked to the prison warden in the hopes of arranging such a meeting. So far no luck, but I am not one to give up easily.

PS to db - sorry I didn't catch your edit but to answer your question - I don't know if they tried to use tracking dogs or not to find Amy during their searches.
shek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Wow, Shek. You are a very brave lady to want to speak to Eaton, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for you. Best of luck to you.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
Hambone2421

After seeing the segment the first few times, I thought Amy's husband Steve was involved due mainly to his reluctance to take the polygraph. However, after hearing what Shek has said about Dale Eaton, I find it hard to believe that Eaton didn't do it. With all the information shek has provided, Eaton had to have done this.

Shek, have you had any luck in speaking with Eaton recently?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
QuenSolen
Frequent Poster

I agree, Eaton seems the most likely suspect to me.

As far as Steve...even the cop questioning him said Steve was "floored". Now, if he did it, I wouldn't have expected him to act "floored" because that implies he didn't expect it whatsoever, and if he did do it, he had to expect to be questioned, and would have to try to fake being surprised, and I'm sure the cops would have caught that. As for the lie detector test, his attorney was the one who told him not to take it, he didn't decide that on his own.

Shek: If you still haven't seen the segment, you can find it on a certain popular video website that we can't link to here Also, any luck in talking to Eaton?

Last edited by QuenSolen; 01-02-2011 at 04:48 PM.
QuenSolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
cocytus
Forum Regular

Let's see:

1) Other than the speculation on this site and a few other forums, there's never been any evidence linking Dale Wayne Eaton to Amy Bechtel's disappearance. While I don't care a great deal for Eaton, he really only needs to charged and convicted of crimes he actually committed.

I would suggest that people and LE be a lot more leery of linking different crimes together w/o any actual proof. The Henry Lee Lucas fiasco should be seen as an example of why doing that is a very poor idea.

2) Steve Bechtel seems to be a self-centered jerk (and possibly a wife beater) but there's scant evidence that he committed the crime. His decision not to take a polygraph was a wise one, as polygraphs are not admissible in court, they are not useful to clear yourself if you aren't guilty and they just plain don't work.

3) In the time period since her disappearance has any actual evidence presented that Amy Bechtel is deceased? While it would have been very difficult to accomplish, perhaps Ms. Bechtel tired of her life and her relationship and decided to start again somewhere else.

While people always use the old "why hasn't she contacted her family?" saw, there are thousands of cases of people leaving to start a new life and never contacting their families again. Not saying that is what happened in this case, but that's always a possibility.

4) Where there hunters/target shooters in the area where Ms. Bechtel went missing? An accidental shooting followed by a hasty burial could explain the lack of forensic evidence in this case.

5) This case (and several others) is one of the reasons that I tell people (men and women) that going off into a remote area by yourself is a poor idea. Even if you aren't abducted or molested (something that's unlikely to happen), there's a good chance that you can easily become lost,injured and/or disoriented. There's also the potential for an animal attack (snakes being a major culprit)

If you don't have a detailed survival plan,haven't told anybody of your plans, aren't armed and have no means of communication w/ the outside world, IMHO, you really have no business out in the woods. Even if you are skilled outdoorsperson, you may still become lost, injured and you may end up putting searchers in danger by having to come looking for you because you decided to do what you wanted to.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
QuenSolen
Frequent Poster

Cocytus, that may be a bit harsh. It sounds like you're blaming Amy a bit for her own disappearance.

1. I agree with you on this point.

2. There's no evidence he was a wife-beater other then ONE instance of Amy's friend noticing a bruise. Now, if that happened multiple times, then I would entertain the thought. The odd thing is, that couple agreed Steve didn't do it, yet decided to throw in evidence against him? As I say, one bruise..I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but if I had seen bruises somewhat regularly, THEN I would've said something to police.

3. If she was going to leave her life, why park the car there, and leave all her stuff? If she truly wanted to vanish, she could've just driven away.

4. I'd actually be quite interested in knowing that myself.

5. From the sounds of her plans for the day, she intended on staying on marked paths/roads, as she was plotting a route for a 10 KM run. The roads seemed fairly wide too, and it was daylight, and I think even sunny. There was no reason for her to be wary of going for a walk/jog in that type of situation/weather, with her being very experienced. Now, If she were going on a wilderness hike, I would agree with you on this point.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #22
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuenSolen
Cocytus, that may be a bit harsh. It sounds like you're blaming Amy a bit for her own disappearance.

1. I agree with you on this point.

2. There's no evidence he was a wife-beater other then ONE instance of Amy's friend noticing a bruise. Now, if that happened multiple times, then I would entertain the thought. The odd thing is, that couple agreed Steve didn't do it, yet decided to throw in evidence against him? As I say, one bruise..I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but if I had seen bruises somewhat regularly, THEN I would've said something to police.

3. If she was going to leave her life, why park the car there, and leave all her stuff? If she truly wanted to vanish, she could've just driven away.

4. I'd actually be quite interested in knowing that myself.

5. From the sounds of her plans for the day, she intended on staying on marked paths/roads, as she was plotting a route for a 10 KM run. The roads seemed fairly wide too, and it was daylight, and I think even sunny. There was no reason for her to be wary of going for a walk/jog in that type of situation/weather, with her being very experienced. Now, If she were going on a wilderness hike, I would agree with you on this point.
Hmm...

2) The bruising does look suspicious. If Mrs. Bechtel was as guarded as they portrayed it being in the segment, it seems that this may not have been a solitary incident. Maybe the friends aren't as solidly behind the husband as it would seem.

3) Maybe she just wanted the "mystery" of an unexplained disappearance. Maybe she was angry at her husband for being controlling. Maybe the pressures of a new life and a new home were too much. People do strange things for reasons that even they don't understand and can't completely explain.

The police seemed to be certain (or bluffing) when they allegedly accused the husband of having killed her. Yet they have presented no evidence, besides her disappearance, that she's actually deceased.

5) Even if the road was wide and straight, it was in a rural area that was sparsely inhabited, if it was inhabited at all. While there's no reason to usually expect to be abducted, there is every reason to expect an injury or an accident. Those are both very common and both would require the same or similar levels of assistance that an abduction would.

By not having a means of communication and not leaving a clear cut plan, it likely made it unclear where Mrs. Bechtel would be and she obviously didn't have any means to communicate in case of an emergency. You really have to wonder is she actually did have a plan in case of an accident or an emergency.

I'm not blaming the victim, but to figure what may have happened you really have to look at all aspects of the event. Most women that jog in rural areas alone have nothing happen to them. The few that do have something usually survive the event no worse for wear.

When you have an event like this, IMHO, you have look at the entire episode to see where the variations between a normal outing and something like this would be. That may seem like "victim blaming" to some...but it's mostly trying to determine what really happened.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
QuenSolen
Frequent Poster

yeah, I can understand that. I guess we'll never really know anything unless her remains are found.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Hmm...

2) The bruising does look suspicious. If Mrs. Bechtel was as guarded as they portrayed it being in the segment, it seems that this may not have been a solitary incident. Maybe the friends aren't as solidly behind the husband as it would seem.

3) Maybe she just wanted the "mystery" of an unexplained disappearance. Maybe she was angry at her husband for being controlling. Maybe the pressures of a new life and a new home were too much. People do strange things for reasons that even they don't understand and can't completely explain.

The police seemed to be certain (or bluffing) when they allegedly accused the husband of having killed her. Yet they have presented no evidence, besides her disappearance, that she's actually deceased.

5) Even if the road was wide and straight, it was in a rural area that was sparsely inhabited, if it was inhabited at all. While there's no reason to usually expect to be abducted, there is every reason to expect an injury or an accident. Those are both very common and both would require the same or similar levels of assistance that an abduction would.

By not having a means of communication and not leaving a clear cut plan, it likely made it unclear where Mrs. Bechtel would be and she obviously didn't have any means to communicate in case of an emergency. You really have to wonder is she actually did have a plan in case of an accident or an emergency.

I'm not blaming the victim, but to figure what may have happened you really have to look at all aspects of the event. Most women that jog in rural areas alone have nothing happen to them. The few that do have something usually survive the event no worse for wear.

When you have an event like this, IMHO, you have look at the entire episode to see where the variations between a normal outing and something like this would be. That may seem like "victim blaming" to some...but it's mostly trying to determine what really happened.
To clarify some things, Amy's brother was the one who noted the bruising on her arm. The other couple interviewed (Steve and Amy's neighbors/friends) never implicated Steve, and seemed to conclude that since he spent most of the day with them he simply wouldn't have had the time to do harm to Amy. As to Amy voluntarily leaving, I don't buy it. Her car was found on the road where she told people she was going. Highly unlikely that she would let all these people know where she was to simply park her car and walk away. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure it wouldn't take that much investigative work to determine whether or not she was putting money aside to start a new life (much like the Dottie Caylor case), nor has there been any activity on her credit cards. And if she did leave voluntarily, how exactly did she get out of the area without her car? She didn't take any clothes (that we know of), and everything she did that day indicated she would be returning home.

I will agree that an accidental hunting accident could be very likely, if there was hunting going on in the area. I don't agree with the animal attack theory, because it seems likely that her body would have been found. I don't know much about Dale Eaton to formulate an opinion on his involvement, but I wouldn't rule it out either.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #25
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Here's an article about a new lead in her case from back in June: http://county10.com/2012/06/13/new-l...disappearance/
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Here's an article from 2007:
http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...aff383668.html

It's interesting because as of 2007, the lead investigator still believed Steve was involved somehow.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
saywhat
Frequent Poster

I cannot blame the husband at all for not taking a polygraph in this case. Putting aside all of the general issues regarding polygraph tests (and as we know, there are many), would you really want to take one when the Sheriff says, "Statistically, he did it"? Yes, the Sheriff clarified this point immediately afterward, but you could tell just from the segment that the investigators seemed to be focusing very heavily on the husband. Posts on this forum further suggest that this could very well have been a case of tunnel vision.

His alibi seems quite solid: all of the time spent with friends; the phone call he made at around the time when his truck was supposedly sighted. The bruise and the poetry are very weak circumstantial evidence, and in fact could be evidence of nothing at all. A quick comment about the bruise scenario: from the segment, I gather that it's not like the brother-in-law and sister had always thought of the husband as a wife-beater; rather, after they read his poetry, they thought, "Well, there was that one time we saw her with a bruise ... I guess we should let the police know." She had an explanation that seems plausible, and if it is true, that could be the reason why she seemed a bit uncomfortable speaking about it (essentially discussing her sex life with her brother-in-law and sister over dinner).
saywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
Necco

Yeah, the bruise is hardly damning. God forbid I ever went missing, my poor DH would be accused of being a wife beater. I've had people ask me before. On the contrary, my husband does not assault me, inanimate objects do. And sometimes, power tools. There is a reason I was not named Grace. I can think of probably half a dozen times when people thought I was being abused. Once, I fell UP a staircase. (Any amateur klutz can fall down stairs and get hurt, it takes real skill to fall UP stairs.) So, if I end up on the next incarnation of Unsolved Mysteries, please call the hotline and tell them you suspect the coffee table, the door jamb and the night stand were in cahoots.

As someone mentioned, the bruise could have been the result of rather enthusiastic alone time with Steve. (Trying to be as polite as possible) I don't know a single woman who would be able to look her brother in the eye when being asked about a bruise that was the result of such activities. If it was the result of an assault by her husband, I think she would have answered much differently. Even 2 professional athletes can have awkward moves in the heat of the moment. (I feel terrible talking about this poor missing woman's private time.)
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
As someone mentioned, the bruise could have been the result of rather enthusiastic alone time with Steve. (Trying to be as polite as possible) I don't know a single woman who would be able to look her brother in the eye when being asked about a bruise that was the result of such activities.
This is exactly what came to mind when I saw the segment. The way she answered may have came off as sheepish to her brother, and he probably took her odd response as proof of physical abuse. But the was she answered (at least how it was shown in the UM re-eanctment) made me think of a particularly rough physical encounter. Steve Bechtel may be guilty of nothing more than being a complete hellcat in the sack.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #30
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
This is exactly what came to mind when I saw the segment. The way she answered may have came off as sheepish to her brother, and he probably took her odd response as proof of physical abuse. But the was she answered (at least how it was shown in the UM re-eanctment) made me think of a particularly rough physical encounter. Steve Bechtel may be guilty of nothing more than being a complete hellcat in the sack.
I don't think I can look at him the same way again now that you said that
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote