Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #271
younger1968
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
If that was/is the case, that would explain why the record shop weirdo guy said, "..... and no one is going to know what happened to him", assuming that he might have been someone that had been at that duplex.

I think alcohol definitely contributed to his death, but maybe an undisclosed medical condition (enlarged heart or maybe something like that?) is what made the difference between him having a realistic chance of recovering or not. With that stated, they still likely neglected to get him medical attention when they could have, and that's still a crime.
Hi Steve, I totally agree with you about party goers not doing enough for Kurt. It also makes me wonder if the coroner was also thorough with his examination. The police still needed to do a better job investigating the case, like interviewing witnesses at the party, canvassing the neighborhood, searching the house, etc to help with the initial search for Kurt. It may have not done much good, but basic police procedures were not even done on Kurt's file. I think i remembering reading something the Cleveland Police PD at the request of the family review the Kurt Sova file and was surprise how little was in the file. Newburgh PD is small PD and should have asked for help by PD surrounding them and they did not.

There are similar cases that police did not do enough investigating, i.e. SF unexplained death of the kid they said drown/fell or the rock musician that was found in his car with gasoline all over him (The police actually threw out the can), etc. If anything these stories could help improve police training!
younger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #272
GozertheGozerian
Occasional Poster

I'm a noob, just found this site.

I rewatched the Sova episode and to me it seems that Kurt was the victim of a probable drug overdose and then was placed in the ravine after panicked party-goers couldn't nurse him back to health. Pretty much the consensus of this thread. I think the shoe being stuck in the rock was maybe done as an afterthought and then whoever killed the other boy took his shoe to throw off investigators. I'm sure the Sova shoe thing was widely reported so it would be easy to assume that everyone knew about that. Just my opinion.
GozertheGozerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #273
younger1968
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GozertheGozerian
I'm a noob, just found this site.

I rewatched the Sova episode and to me it seems that Kurt was the victim of a probable drug overdose and then was placed in the ravine after panicked party-goers couldn't nurse him back to health. Pretty much the consensus of this thread. I think the shoe being stuck in the rock was maybe done as an afterthought and then whoever killed the other boy took his shoe to throw off investigators. I'm sure the Sova shoe thing was widely reported so it would be easy to assume that everyone knew about that. Just my opinion.
I think many unsolved/unexplained death could solved today via using social media, like facebook or youtube. I am sure someone could put update the case based on the information via creating youtube video and then create facebook page to help solicit feedback from the public. My guess is that someone may open up after all these years to help explain these events.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #274
Steve W.
Forum Regular

I really think too much of a big deal was made of the missing shoe thing. First of all, if Kurt had been incapacitated at that duplex the entire time from the party until his death, it could have just fell off there and then the people there could have just thrown it away or whatever. When they decided to dump his body, I don't think they were concerned with being very detailed in what they were doing, especially after they could probably tell that they were dealing with an incompetent Newburgh Heights police department that wasn't even questioning them.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #275
younger1968
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I really think too much of a big deal was made of the missing shoe thing. First of all, if Kurt had been incapacitated at that duplex the entire time from the party until his death, it could have just fell off there and then the people there could have just thrown it away or whatever. When they decided to dump his body, I don't think they were concerned with being very detailed in what they were doing, especially after they could probably tell that they were dealing with an incompetent Newburgh Heights police department that wasn't even questioning them.
It is my understanding the FBI and/or Cleveland PD was investigating the cases of the investigation officer after he was found guilty and sentenced to prison. I thought i remember reading the Sova family was able to get a cleveland pd officer to look at the case file. The investigating officer was surprised how little was in file and/or lack of follow up. We have beat it to death that Kurt Sova probably died at the party and the lack of action by the part goers help with his death and the cover up.

There are similar other cases that UM also showed that are still not explained after their showing. I think social media has role to play in helping solve these cases, especially when police have not been able to solve the cases. The first 48 hrs is a good show to tell you how cases need to progressed. The first 48 hrs of kurt sova case was botched. The family brought up about the party and/or witness seen a body being dragged and yet the police did little follow up. Even basic police investigation was not done, i.e. interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence, i.e. at the house, tracing kurt's last steps, etc. Coroner report was not complete and it was just opinion of the him that kurt's death was accidental. The police took the report on its merit and did little follow up to why/how Kurt's body ended up in the ravine. It is not like he walked there, so he would have to have been dragged! There is another abrasive/bruises that show he was dragged. If he fell then there would have been more trauma to the body!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #276
Steve W.
Forum Regular

"The family brought up about the party and/or witness seen a body being dragged and yet the police did little follow up."

The witnesses that lived in a house right next to the ravine area (Angeline Reddicks and her husband) didn't publicly reveal seeing a body being carried in the area behind their house (99.9% it had to be Kurt IMO) until 1989, 8 years after the fact. I don't think they were ever interviewed by local authorities until then.

So yes, it wasn't just the first 48 hours that were botched, it was more like the first 7 years (basically until the UM segment about him).
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #277
curiousasever
Occasional Poster

Oh No

i don't have the answers for everything but my heart goes out to this poor family that lost their 17 year old son i feel bad for him but it could have been alcohol poisoning and his body just couldn't tolerate it any longer! but i'd really like if we all just left his case alone and let him rest he knows we're discussing him since he's an angel now so that's what i have left to say about him.
curiousasever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #278
sffan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger1968
I think many unsolved/unexplained death could solved today via using social media, like facebook or youtube. I am sure someone could put update the case based on the information via creating youtube video and then create facebook page to help solicit feedback from the public. My guess is that someone may open up after all these years to help explain these events.
The kids at the party are probably in the mid-late 40's now right? Someone is going to open up and tell what really happened to Kurt. This case should be solved by now and it can be so easily, someone just needs to give the family closure. Are either of his parents still around?
sffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #279
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffan
The kids at the party are probably in the mid-late 40's now right? Someone is going to open up and tell what really happened to Kurt. This case should be solved by now and it can be so easily, someone just needs to give the family closure. Are either of his parents still around?

Both of his parents have died. His dad died in 2001 and his mom died last year or two years ago. He still has brothers (maybe a sister or two also?) that are alive.

The only actual names known of the people that were at the duplex that night are Samuel C. Carroll, the fellow teenager (I think? or maybe he was older than Kurt) that supposedly walked to the party with Kurt and Debbie and Clayton Sams, who both lived at the duplex.

Samuel Carroll is a fairly common name and Debbie Sams surely could have gotten married between then and now. The only one that might be able to be tracked down is Clayton Sams, since his name is not quite as common.

This is assuming that none of these three people are now deceased themselves.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #280
sffan
Frequent Poster

Was Kurt's death ever ruled a homocide? And/Or are the police still actively pursing leads? It's been awhile since I've watched the segment and I can't remember some details!
sffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #281
Spark Of Spirit
Forum Regular

Has anything new ever been revealed about Eugene Kvet?
Spark Of Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #282
Steve W.
Forum Regular

"Was Kurt's death ever ruled a homocide? And/Or are the police still actively pursing leads? It's been awhile since I've watched the segment and I can't remember some details!"

His death was undetermined and the coroner at the time ruled it "probable accidental". If you read through this thread, about halfway through, a newspaper article published 10 years after Kurt's death was posted and it revealed that he skipped school the day of the party and had someone buy a bottle of Everclear for him (two things not mentioned in the UM segment), so based on that, the most obvious conclusion is that his death was alcohol-related.

The police did virtually nothing from the time his body was found on through the next 7 years. Getting UM to do a segment on his story approximately 7 years after his death was probably the closest thing to "investigating" that occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark Of Spirit
Has anything new ever been revealed about Eugene Kvet?

If there has, I don't think it has been found on the 'net. I remember someone posting (can't remember if it was in this thread) that they heard/found out that Eugene was rumored to have been pushed to his death (possibly by someone or some people in a local gang at that time). Also, Eugene was found in a much different area of that ravine than Kurt was.

Even though the UM segment makes it seem like the cases could be related in some way, I really don't think they are.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #283
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
The witnesses that lived in a house right next to the ravine area (Angeline Reddicks and her husband) didn't publicly reveal seeing a body being carried in the area behind their house (99.9% it had to be Kurt IMO) until 1989, 8 years after the fact. I don't think they were ever interviewed by local authorities until then.
Wow I didn't even know there was a witness that saw a body being carried to the ravine. Was this in an article or something brought up previously in this thread?

Last edited by TheCars1986; 11-21-2012 at 04:17 PM.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #284
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Wow I didn't even know there was a witnessed that saw a body being carried to the ravine. Was this in an article or something brought up previously in this thread?
The part of the article says...

Newburgh Heights police never talked with Angeline Reddicks, either. She says she saw two males dragging what appeared to be an unconscious teenage boy toward the ravine where Kurt's body later was found.

"I seen them taking a boy down the alley. It was just before Halloween," said Reddicks, who said she witnessed the scene one afternoon from a window in her house on Washington Park Blvd. "One foot was barefoot. I'm almost sure it was the right one. I figured: 'Couple teenagers with a couple beers too many and they're probably trying to sober up.'

A few days later, Reddicks learned that Kurt's body had been found in the ravine. But she said she never told police what she saw because her husband told her, "You know, Mom, we gotta mind our business."

It was discussed how strange it was that the people went to so much trouble to hide Kurt's body and keep his parents in the dark only to drag the body down a street in the middle of the afternoon where they would easily be seen, which they were.

Again, here's an aerial shot of all the places of interest. Susan's duplex in the upper right corner and the street Angeline Reddicks lived on to the far left...

dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #285
Spark Of Spirit
Forum Regular

Quote:
Even though the UM segment makes it seem like the cases could be related in some way, I really don't think they are.
Oh, I'm not so certain they're related either, but I was just curious if there was any movement on that case. Thanks for the info!
Spark Of Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote