Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #241
WishfulDreamer

I don't believe that the father could have missed the body. Even if he didn't do a thorough search, that yellow shirt would have been nearly impossible to miss. Also, there was nothing obstructing his view of the ravine and it wasn't a very large one at that.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #242
Steve W.
Forum Regular

"I think it is coincidental. Have you ever helped an intoxicated person walk? One way to do it is to take their arm and prop it on your shoulders so when you move together, you are providing support as well as carrying some of their body weight. I can envision two men carrying Kurt's body in this fashion, with a man on each arm, and laying him down in the ravine - his arms would naturally be outstretched in such a pose. This is corroborated by testimony from a witness who said she saw two men carrying a third person out to the ravine, but she assumed the men were drunken teenagers trying to sober up."

I don't think so. What are the chances of two people laying a dead body down on the ground and it falling right into a cruciform pose? I'd say little to none. They had to have positioned him that way.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #243
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I always pondered that possibility until I saw that satellite photo from earlier in the thread that shows how heavily populated the area was that surrounded the ravine. It's hard to imagine it would have been five full days before someone noticed the body. Even the area wasn't as heavily populated back in 1981, the ravine doesn't look that big to begin with so I doubt Kurt's father could have searched through it the first time without coming across the body.
I too think it would be very hard to miss a body in that populated area for five days, but I don't think it's impossible. Remember how many "thorough" searches that have been profiled on UM that yield nothing but then years later they find a body or remains in the area that was searched? Maybe this "crazy" guy from Detroit was the one who found the body, stole the shoe, and positioned Kurt's body. And in the UM segment Kurt's father says he checked the ravine the day before his body was found, a full four days after he was missing at that point. His body may have been concealed by some brush, or his father could have simply missed him. Stranger things have happened.

I also find it interesting in that newspaper article it says that the Sova's began "harassing" the people at the Duplex in the days following Kurt's disappearance. Wouldn't any sane person do the same? They were only doing what the police should have been doing. "Susan's" actions are extremely suspect. First she denies Kurt was ever even there, then she admits it, and then calls Kurt's mother at 3 in the morning to say Kurt "may" be sleeping on a cot in her basement. WTF! Why wasn't she questioned by police!? She may not have had a hand in Kurt's death, but it sure seems like she would know if anyone did or not.

On a different point, what reason would Kurt's friend (who propped him up on the fence) Samuel Carroll have in lying about what transpired that night? He was the one who informed Kurt's mother about the party in the first place. If he was involved in covering up his death, why would he tell Kurt's mom about the party which may have led to a discovery of what really happened? If he blacked out at the party and they took him to the basement to recuperate and everyone at the party had a pact to remain silent about it, it doesn't seem like a bright idea for Carroll to talk to Kurt's mother about anything. It's not like he ever denied anything. Which makes me think he was telling the truth about what he saw that night. And IMHO that lends more credence to the theory that he stumbled away from the Duplex and died elsewhere. The only major flaw with that theory is "Susan's" actions involving the 3 a.m. phone call to the Sova's. I can't get my mind over that one.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #244
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
I don't think so. What are the chances of two people laying a dead body down on the ground and it falling right into a cruciform pose? I'd say little to none. They had to have positioned him that way.
The human mind loves to look for and identify patterns and connections in just about everything it encounters. I think it's natural to want to see some symbolism behind an act like that. However, considering the nature of the death, the parties involved and other factors, I think it's unlikely there was any significance behind it.

Assuming this was an accidental death and the perps were burnouts in their late teens or early twenties scrambling to dispose of a body, I just don't see them stopping to say "hey, why don't we set it up to look like Christ on the cross". It just doesn't make sense.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #245
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Kurt's story creates so many questions and so few answers. It's very frustrating.

I think Kurt's father might have searched the ravine the day before his body was found (which would be 30 years ago on this very date!), didn't see him, left (went back home or whatever) and then maybe in the next hour or two the two guys started carrying him there from the duplex.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #246
Steve W.
Forum Regular

30 years today

Someone that was hanging out with Kurt at the duplex party needs to come forward and tell the truth.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #247
DarkDante

A moment of silence for Kurt Sova

DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #248
Necco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
"I think it is coincidental. Have you ever helped an intoxicated person walk? One way to do it is to take their arm and prop it on your shoulders so when you move together, you are providing support as well as carrying some of their body weight. I can envision two men carrying Kurt's body in this fashion, with a man on each arm, and laying him down in the ravine - his arms would naturally be outstretched in such a pose. This is corroborated by testimony from a witness who said she saw two men carrying a third person out to the ravine, but she assumed the men were drunken teenagers trying to sober up."

The most logical way he'd end up that way coincidentally, imho, is that someone had his feet and someone was carrying him under the armpits.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #249
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
The most logical way he'd end up that way coincidentally, imho, is that someone had his feet and someone was carrying him under the armpits.
True, but that doesn't explain why one foot (and leg) would be on top of the other.

Another blown chance to solve this case: the Reddicks could have stopped and asked those guys if he was okay and got a good look at Kurt when they stopped them. Based off of that, they could have gone back in their house and called the cops. It would have at least forced the cops to be more engaged with the case at that point.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #250
baloony
Forum Regular

Aren't both of Kurt's parents deceased now?
baloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #251
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloony
Aren't both of Kurt's parents deceased now?
yes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #252
baloony
Forum Regular

Default Kurt's parents

Those poor people ultimately died of broken hearts.
baloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #253
younger1968
Occasional Poster

I have watched Kurt Sova episode a few times and it has intrigue me. It is easy for many of us to be armchair crime solvers and other thing to actually solve the crime.

The Kurt Sova case handling by the police was bad. The investigated police detective did very little evidence gathering, i.e. clothing, picture, medical examiner report, etc.

Let's look at facts:

1. Kurt Sova appear to be drinking that day when he initially purchased everclear and then later met up with friend a drank at the party. So, it is entirely possible that he could have been drunk and maybe suffer alcohol poisoning and the people at the party put him in the basement to sleep it off

2. In morning people checked on Kurt and found that he had died and panic. They then dump the body to make it look like Kurt may have become disorientated.

The police did a horrible job investigating excluding the search of the duplex and/or questioning neighbors. One particular neighbor said she notice people dragging a body down towards the ravine. Yet the police did nothing on investigating this lead.

I honestly think it was accidental death due alcohol poisoning and/or unknown health related issues. It is said for the family they never knew the cost of death.
younger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #254
WishfulDreamer

Has Cyril Wecht looked into this case? I know it's been 30 years but I would hope one of the most renowned pathologists in the country could determine a cause or find something.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #255
Steve W.
Forum Regular

"Let's look at facts:

1. Kurt Sova appear to be drinking that day when he initially purchased everclear and then later met up with friend a drank at the party. So, it is entirely possible that he could have been drunk and maybe suffer alcohol poisoning and the people at the party put him in the basement to sleep it off

2. In morning people checked on Kurt and found that he had died and panic. They then dump the body to make it look like Kurt may have become disorientated.

The police did a horrible job investigating excluding the search of the duplex and/or questioning neighbors. One particular neighbor said she notice people dragging a body down towards the ravine. Yet the police did nothing on investigating this lead.

I honestly think it was accidental death due alcohol poisoning and/or unknown health related issues. It is said for the family they never knew the cost of death"

If Lester Adelson (the medical examiner in the segment) was correct in his assessment that Kurt died 24 to 36 hours before his body was found in the ravine area, then Kurt probably wasn't dead by that Saturday (10/24/81) morning in the cot, but maybe unconscious.

It was total neglect by the people that lived there and anyone else there that knew he was in bad shape. That officer interviewed in the 1991 newspaper article who stated that the "case was handled on the up-and-up", what a joke. He couldn't have been more full of crap if he tried. They didn't care about this kid dying, they did next-to-nothing to get to the truth of what happened.