Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #196
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_cahoots
And what is the corrolation (if any) between Kurt's death and the death of his friend 3 months later? Very similar circumstances i.e. found in a ravine, no known cause of death, missing his right shoe. very strange?
I've read or seen some things about Eugene Kvett and it is thought that he had either fallen into the ravine (someone posted a pic before: where Eugene was found was in a MUCH DIFFERENT, MUCH STEEPER part of the ravine, where you could actually fatally fall; the area of the ravine where Kurt was found was a flat plain area) or that he might have been the target of a Cleveland/Newburgh Heights area gang at that time.

A newspaper article linked in this thread about Kurt said that two neighbor people saw two guys carrying someone (presumably Kurt) in the morning or afternoon one day just a few days before Halloween (it had to be sometime on either Tuesday, 10/27/81 or Wednesday, 10/28/81). They thought it was probably someone that had too much to drink (which is actually true) but didn't realize that he was probably already dead (or at least in a coma/unconscious) when the guys were carrying him out there.

A lot of us on here believe that Kurt was at the duplex the whole time he was "missing" and that "Susan" (and/or Debbie and Clayton Sams, two other people that lived there) just lied to his parents and they made sure they didn't find him when they went over there to look for him. It's possible that one of Kurt's shoes fell off somewhere in the duplex and they just hid it or got rid of it, or it might have fell off when the two guys were taking him out to the ravine and they just got rid of it after they finished putting his body out there.

As for Eugene's missing shoe, if the gang theory was true, that could explain away that they got rid of it, but if he accidentally fell, then you would think that the authorities would find it. But you have to remember, if you've read about this case or the newspaper article linked, it's very clear that the Newburgh Heights police department was a department that was full of people that were very crappy at their jobs in this time period, so perhaps they were too inept to find Kvett's shoe, or maybe it washed away in the stream, because where he was found, there was actually a stream of water.

I hope this helps.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #197
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

I always wondered why Eugene Kvet's case was only a tidbit towards the end of Kurt Sova's case.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #198
in_cahoots
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
I've read or seen some things about Eugene Kvett and it is thought that he had either fallen into the ravine (someone posted a pic before: where Eugene was found was in a MUCH DIFFERENT, MUCH STEEPER part of the ravine, where you could actually fatally fall; the area of the ravine where Kurt was found was a flat plain area) or that he might have been the target of a Cleveland/Newburgh Heights area gang at that time.

A newspaper article linked in this thread about Kurt said that two neighbor people saw two guys carrying someone (presumably Kurt) in the morning or afternoon one day just a few days before Halloween (it had to be sometime on either Tuesday, 10/27/81 or Wednesday, 10/28/81). They thought it was probably someone that had too much to drink (which is actually true) but didn't realize that he was probably already dead (or at least in a coma/unconscious) when the guys were carrying him out there.

A lot of us on here believe that Kurt was at the duplex the whole time he was "missing" and that "Susan" (and/or Debbie and Clayton Sams, two other people that lived there) just lied to his parents and they made sure they didn't find him when they went over there to look for him. It's possible that one of Kurt's shoes fell off somewhere in the duplex and they just hid it or got rid of it, or it might have fell off when the two guys were taking him out to the ravine and they just got rid of it after they finished putting his body out there.

As for Eugene's missing shoe, if the gang theory was true, that could explain away that they got rid of it, but if he accidentally fell, then you would think that the authorities would find it. But you have to remember, if you've read about this case or the newspaper article linked, it's very clear that the Newburgh Heights police department was a department that was full of people that were very crappy at their jobs in this time period, so perhaps they were too inept to find Kvett's shoe, or maybe it washed away in the stream, because where he was found, there was actually a stream of water.

I hope this helps.
Thanks very much, that makes things much clearer for me. I live in Ireland but I follow the news in America a lot, especially crime, as it fascinates me. What happened to Kurt is very sad and it bemuses me that the police never charged anyone. I work in law enforcement myself and it doesn't seem like a difficult case to solve. In my opinion the police knew (or know) more than they would care to divulge
in_cahoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #199
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I never believed the story about the guy claiming to leave Kurt on the fence after going outside for some air. How long would it take to go back upstairs, grab a jacket and come back outside? 2 minutes? Somehow during those two minutes, Kurt vanished? Yeah, right. If he was so disoriented that he could barely stand under his own power, there's not much chance that he could walk very far in just 2 minutes, never to be seen again. He would be found easily.

I think this guy made up this story to the Sovas to help cover Susan's ass. She didn't want it to be known that Kurt died on her property and that she knew where he was the entire time he was missing. She wanted it to look like he wandered off somewhere else and died.
I agree the jacket story is pretty implausible. Alcohol intoxication lends to sluggishness, slowed reaction time, poor coordination, and nausea. You'd hardly go be-bopping away from the fence never to be seen again in two minutes.

Quote:
Of course, that doesn't explain why she called the Sovas and told them Kurt might be in her basement. If you think someone's in your basement, common sense would be to check yourself to see who it is or call the police. That was obviously a smoke screen on Susan's part as well.
I wish we knew more about the context of that conversation, but that always seemed to me like another ploy to cover herself--maybe an attempt to paint the situation as Kurt intentionally hiding out from his parents. I think Kurt was there the entire time, of course.

I never found the duplex in Newburgh Heights when I was there. Does anyone know how far away it is from the ravine behind the J.L. Goodman warehouse?

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #200
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I never found the duplex in Newburgh Heights when I was there. Does anyone know how far away it is from the ravine behind the J.L. Goodman warehouse?
The segment said they were just 500 yards apart.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #201
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
The segment said they were just 500 yards apart.
D'oh! Thanks, I'd forgotten that somewhere.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #202
Steve W.
Forum Regular

There's pictures of the duplex and the ravine (sort of, the old J.L. Goodman building is in one of the pics and it's in front of one of the entrances into the ravine) in the "UM Location Pictures" thread.

I don't know if you ever drove on Harvard Avenue while you were there Meg, but I believe that street/road is supposed to take one through the majority of the Newburgh Heights section of Cleveland. The duplex (if you're facing the front of it) is to the left to the old Goodman building somewhere along Harvard Avenue.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #203
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Could Kurt have died from something as simple as dehydration?

He was drinking, and if he did get "sick" (I assume they meant he starting vomiting), he would have lost fluids. He could have passed out from the alcohol, and people at the party brought him down to the basement to sleep it off. Maybe he was unconscious for a long enough period of time that he was too weak to even move if he did regain consciousness. I think the human body can only survive 72 hours without water. He is later found deceased in the basement and moved to the ravine. This might explain why there weren't any substances found in the autopsy.

Thoughts?
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #204
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFit29
Could Kurt have died from something as simple as dehydration?

He was drinking, and if he did get "sick" (I assume they meant he starting vomiting), he would have lost fluids. He could have passed out from the alcohol, and people at the party brought him down to the basement to sleep it off. Maybe he was unconscious for a long enough period of time that he was too weak to even move if he did regain consciousness. I think the human body can only survive 72 hours without water. He is later found deceased in the basement and moved to the ravine. This might explain why there weren't any substances found in the autopsy.

Thoughts?

EXCELLENT point. It's very plausible, I think. There'd be alcohol present in his system, but it might explain why a dangerously excessive amount didn't exist.

Or perhaps someone even encouraged him to drink far too much water, which can be fatal. I knew a person who nearly lost his life by water intoxication.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #205
Steve W.
Forum Regular

This case still bothers me the most. I've been having dreams about it in recent months, but they don't really make any sense, especially ones where I'm back in that time period (1981), since I wasn't even conceived when this went down.

This seems to be as much as we still know:

-Kurt had someone buy him a bottle of Everclear; we know he started drinking it at his girlfriend's house (he skipped school that Friday), but we have no idea how much of it he drank there: why was this "girlfriend" never interviewed, either for the UM segment or the Cleveland Plain-Dealer 1991 article?

-we have no idea if Kurt was already drunk when he left his gf's to meet with Samuel Carroll to walk to the party at the duplex; at the least, he still had to be buzzed with how potent Everclear is

-we don't know if he brought the bottle of Everclear with him (presuming he hadn't finished it), or if he just drank whatever was at the party

-we actually don't know for sure if he got sick, either; he could have just went from being really drunk or whatever to passing out, depending on how much he drank or if he was given or took other drugs

-he definitely had to have been at the duplex the whole time; no f-ing way he went to the fence and walked-off, no; when Kurt's Mom came by the first time (Saturday? or Sunday?), he was probably in the basement on the cot; they never got him medical attention and he probably died there

-two guys move his body, probably on Tuesday evening 10/27/81 (probably shortly after Kurt's dad checked that ravine area, lucky for them)

-Kurt's body is found on Wednesday 10/28/81

This case will never fail to frustrate me due to completely inept Newburgh Heights police department. If they had done their job right, they probably could have solved this case and made some arrests within a week or two of his death.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #206
idol
Forum Regular

I think this may have been pointed out already but an interesting tidbit from the 1991 article.

"I seen them taking a boy down the alley. It was just before Halloween," said Reddicks, who said she witnessed the scene one afternoon from a window in her house on Washington Park Blvd. "One foot was barefoot. I'm almost sure it was the right one. I figured: 'Couple teen-agers with a couple beers too many and they're probably trying to sober up.'

A few days later, Reddicks learned that Kurt's body had been found in the ravine. But she said she never told police what she saw because her husband told her, "You know, Mom, we gotta mind our business."
idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #207
DarkDante

Quote:
Originally Posted by idol
I think this may have been pointed out already but an interesting tidbit from the 1991 article.

"I seen them taking a boy down the alley. It was just before Halloween," said Reddicks, who said she witnessed the scene one afternoon from a window in her house on Washington Park Blvd. "One foot was barefoot. I'm almost sure it was the right one. I figured: 'Couple teen-agers with a couple beers too many and they're probably trying to sober up.'

A few days later, Reddicks learned that Kurt's body had been found in the ravine. But she said she never told police what she saw because her husband told her, "You know, Mom, we gotta mind our business."
I think this could be the most crucial piece of information to have come from this case and since I first became aware of it (around two years ago) I have believed that Kurt probably became incapacitated at the party and his body was then moved to the ravine and that is what this witness saw.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #208
Steve W.
Forum Regular

"I think this could be the most crucial piece of information to have come from this case and since I first became aware of it (around two years ago) I have believed that Kurt probably became incapacitated at the party and his body was then moved to the ravine and that is what this witness saw."

Agreed, so I think everyone can throw out the Kurt and Samuel C. Carroll going out to the fence and Kurt wandering off story, as well as the Kurt being supposedly seen by David Trusnick and yelling for someone named Franco story. I wonder if the creepy guy that stopped at the record store around that time (and told them to take down the missing persons poster of him because he'll be found dead is 2 days) was one of the guys that was carrying him to the ravine.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #209
Godfather71190
Occasional Poster

Newburgh heights are not the greatest police department let me tell that It's pretty much a speed trap there pretty much lazy cops.
Godfather71190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #210
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather71190
Newburgh heights are not the greatest police department let me tell that It's pretty much a speed trap there pretty much lazy cops.
Yep, we figured that out, especially in the '80's. The newspaper article in this thread discusses that in greater detail. They did absolutely nothing when it came to investigating and interviewing people regarding Kurt's "disappearance" and death.