Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Problems when you receive DVD's

Can someone tell me what causes FREEZE SPOTS on a DVD? I been requesting most shows on DVD since I plan to become a DVD trader soon and some of the DVD's I received, when you watch them there are parts of the show when it FREEZES and starts up again(Something that never happens on VHS). So what is it a DVD trader must do in order to prevent a person from receiving a Show with constant freezing?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
DetectiveGriffin
Sankontessou!

Send a message via AIM to DetectiveGriffin Send a message via Yahoo to DetectiveGriffin

I had this problem with some dvd's i made when i tried an el cheapo dvd brand. i was so hot over that - i had to reburn everything onto a good brand disc -- ritek is my choice, ive never had a coaster, out of 600 or so discs. now, the bad ones i got were called velocity. i got both from amazon. if you copy one of your freezing discs onto a different kind and the problem goes away, then you'll know.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf11
it could be a burn overload that' when the laser in the computer gets to hots do to a power surge and will burn on the same spot..or it could be you need to clean your dvd player tapes has a magnict strip so that won't have this problem..

It has nothing to do with a DVD Player needing to be cleaned because I have other DVD's I received that didn't SKIP. So it was something the trader did wrong
Old 08-14-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Your player may not like that brand of dvd. Happens often.
Play the disc in another player or on your computer's dvd rom.
If the disc plays fine, just copy the disc onto a different dvd
Old 08-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #5
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
i say you wrong because i has this problem and clean my player and it works fine now

Well explain to me why the DVD I watched yeterday didn;t skip at all? Strange how my DVD Player accumalated so much dirt in 24 hours.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

I always attribute it to a bad disc, or a bad sector on a disc. Yes, sometimes a re-burn will fix the problem, if the disc can be read to burn. Else, you have to ask the sender for a re-do. Most people are aware of this issue and are happy to do so.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

Quote:
it could be a burn overload that' when the laser in the computer gets to hots do to a power surge and will burn on the same spot..or it could be you need to clean your dvd player tapes has a magnict strip so that won't have this problem..
The DVD statement is not possible.
The VHS statement does not make any sense.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
lithoguy
Occasional Poster

Default Problems when you receive DVD's

If there are no noticeable scratches, scuffs, fingerprints, etc. on the disc, you probably have a bad sector burned onto the disc. There is a program called CD Check that I have used to salvage several DVD's that freeze up. It is not a magic fix all program but it has worked for me on the occasions when I have used it.

Rich
Old 08-15-2005, 04:31 AM   #9
Chazshady
Occasional Poster

Send a message via AIM to Chazshady

Just for the record many DVD players play multiple formats and they aren't very expensive

Last edited by savageamusement; 06-19-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
Can someone tell me what causes FREEZE SPOTS on a DVD? I been requesting most shows on DVD since I plan to become a DVD trader soon and some of the DVD's I received, when you watch them there are parts of the show when it FREEZES and starts up again(Something that never happens on VHS). So what is it a DVD trader must do in order to prevent a person from receiving a Show with constant freezing?
I think it may be the media. Some DVD players have problems playing video burned on certain discs. For example, I've found that the crapier noname brand discs tend to have this "freezing" problem on my DVD player more often than not. So, I only buy name brands like Sony, TDK, and Fuji. Those seem to work well. You might also try a slower burn like 2x instead of 16x or whatever.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #11
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

Read this: http://www.nomorecoasters.com
That basically explains everything you need to know about DVD media.
Including understanding why discs have problems.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
peter may
The SO Limey

Send a message via MSN to peter may

it is due to the player , because alot of my dvds skipped up until the time i bought a new player and they work perfectly (by the way Philips DVD players are the best by far)!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #13
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

Excellent post RareTV, thanks for all that info. Only thing I want to add is:

Quote:
This can often be fixed by ripping the VOBs from the DVD and re-authoring and re-burning the DVD.
While that is sometimes necessary, I often find I can "fix" the problem by ripping the entire disc and re-burning, thus saving the time of re-authoring.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #14
RedWhine56
Sleigh? What sleigh?
Forum Regular

Burning at too high of a speed can cause freezing while playing (or cause problems with the DVD after it's played a time or two). On afterdawn.com, they recommend to never burn faster than 4x and 2x is better.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #15
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhine56
Burning at too high of a speed can cause freezing while playing (or cause problems with the DVD after it's played a time or two). On afterdawn.com, they recommend to never burn faster than 4x and 2x is better.
This is a myth. You can burn as fast as the media is rated. Bad media does not burn well at the rated speed, nor at other speeds either most times. Not to mention, in the age of 8x and 16x burns, telling somebody to burn at 2x is wholly unreasonable. In fact, burning media too slow can often be as bad as burning it too fast!