Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Bob's TV Treasures
Forum Regular

Default Mr. T. And Tina

I know there's an episode on the trading circuit of
MR. T AND TINA, but as of yet I've been unable to secure it.
Can anyone help? I have a LARGE updated list at
www.bobobrien.tv/videos/
Bob's TV Treasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
bencasey

Do you know Diane, who used to publish the TV Collector magazine? She has one but unfortunately she has thousands of tapes and none labeled.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Bob's TV Treasures
Forum Regular

Default play nice, boys

Also, the PALEY CENTER has a myriad of available
episodes for viewing. I'd just like to own one.
The show was unmitigated crap, but I am a pseudo-Pat Morita fan.
Bob's TV Treasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
bencasey

I was over there last week and they only have one or two available for viewing. I'm guess that the rest of them are still on 2-inch and haven't been transferred.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
TV Knowledge Fan

Default The best part about the show....

...was the theme: George Aliceson Tipton's arrangement of "Chicago (That Toddlin' Town)": half ragtime, half "faux-Japanese". If only the rest of the show had been that vibrant!

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
bencasey

I never saw the show. James Komack had a few successful shows, like Welcome Back Kotter and Chico and the Man but most of what he produced was real crap like this show, Rollergirls, Sugar Time, Me and Maxx and I'm sure some others if I thought about it. He was also responsible for the abysmal Dobie Gillis reunion pilot.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
bencasey

I just got back from the Paley Center and watched an episode which I think was the pilot. It had a brief cold open with the sweathogs from Welcome Back Kotter in it. That was the highlight of what is a really bad show. Not only painfully unfunny but even maybe offensive to some. There's a stereotypical black character who speaks in jive and a sister-in-law who pronounces all of her L's like R's. Another show that if it were better known would make many "worst ever" lists.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Du Mont
Forum Regular

Thumbs up 'Welcome Back, Kotter' s2e1: "Career Day"

I know it wasn't the 'Mr. T. & Tina' pilot, which from my memory, never aired as it was substantially re-shaped by Mr. Komack (no doubt with copious notes from Mr. Fred Silverman), so I consider the Mr. T. cross-over on to 'Welcome Back, Kotter' as a bona-fide episode of 'Mr. T & Tina' . Mr. Pat Morita was brilliant in this episode as the wacky inventor with a penchant for impersonations who makes a presentation to the Sweathogs, but there was no appearance of the yet-to-be-hired governess Tina (Miss Susan Blanchard) in the Kotter episode (we must remember that 'Mr. T. & Tina' was a bit of a reboot of Mr. Komack's 'The Courtship of Eddie's Father' with two kids instead of one). One of the posters in this string stated that the Paley Centre episode has the Sweathogs in it, and it must be this one, as I can't recall any of the cast members of 'Welcome Back, Kotter' appearing in any of the Saturday 'Mr. T. & Tina' episodes (although they may have guested in one of the unaired episodes, and somehow the Paley Centre has gotten their hands on one of those episodes).

The second season preem of 'Welcome Back, Kotter' (or "first" crossover episode of 'Mr. T. & Tina') was the official second pilot of the series and it aired on Thursday September 23, 1976 at 8 pm, two days ahead of the Saturday September 25, 1976 timeslot premiere of 'Mr. T. & Tina'. I can't put my fingers on my 1976-77 preem week Nielsens, but I do remember that the 'Welcome Back, Kotter/Mr. T. & Tina' crossover episode got a huge Nielsen, with a substantial fall-off (though still decent) to the Saturday 'Mr. T & Tina' episode.

The problem with 'Mr. T & Tina' was that it showed weekly erosion in the Nielsens until it was pulled. It averaged 14.1HH after five Saturday airings, down from the 14.4HH lead-in that the funny 'Holmes & Yoyo' series garnered at 8 pm for ABC. 'Mr. T & Tina' wasn't that far off of the competition: 'Doc' on CBS averaged 15.7HH at 8:30 pm, and 'Emergency!' on NBC averaged 16.9HH in the 8-9 pm hour. So Mr. Silverman yanked 'Mr. T. & Tina' and replaced it with 'What's Happening', a surprise summer series hit from the summer of 1976. 'What's Happening' averaged a better 14.8HH for its Saturday run before being moved to Thursdays at mid-season.

I seem to remember there were unaired episodes of 'Mr. T. & Tina' at the time it was pulled, and those episodes were never aired or burned off...it wouldn't surprise me if some of them may not have had all of their post-production elements completed. Perhaps Mr. Komack's estate or the Warner library still has time-coded screeners of these very rare unaired episodes. They are probably in the same box as the tapes of the never-aired first season of 'Snip', another comedy series from Mr. Komack starring Mr. David Brenner as a SHAMPOO-inspired hairdresser, that NBC pulled literally on the eve of the 1976 fall premiere week due to reported nervousness around affiliate rumblings about a gay character in the sitcom.

For those who dismiss 'Mr. T. & Tina' as forgettable, I would remind them that it had top-notch actors doing their very best work, and it was one of the ABC nominations in that years Emmy Awards for best art/set design (it didn't win).
Du Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Mont
I know it wasn't the 'Mr. T. & Tina' pilot, which from my memory, never aired as it was substantially re-shaped by Mr. Komack (no doubt with copious notes from Mr. Fred Silverman), so I consider the Mr. T. cross-over on to 'Welcome Back, Kotter' as a bona-fide episode of 'Mr. T & Tina' . Mr. Pat Morita was brilliant in this episode as the wacky inventor with a penchant for impersonations who makes a presentation to the Sweathogs, but there was no appearance of the yet-to-be-hired governess Tina (Miss Susan Blanchard) in the Kotter episode (we must remember that 'Mr. T. & Tina' was a bit of a reboot of Mr. Komack's 'The Courtship of Eddie's Father' with two kids instead of one). One of the posters in this string stated that the Paley Centre episode has the Sweathogs in it, and it must be this one, as I can't recall any of the cast members of 'Welcome Back, Kotter' appearing in any of the Saturday 'Mr. T. & Tina' episodes (although they may have guested in one of the unaired episodes, and somehow the Paley Centre has gotten their hands on one of those episodes).

The second season preem of 'Welcome Back, Kotter' (or "first" crossover episode of 'Mr. T. & Tina') was the official second pilot of the series and it aired on Thursday September 23, 1976 at 8 pm, two days ahead of the Saturday September 25, 1976 timeslot premiere of 'Mr. T. & Tina'. I can't put my fingers on my 1976-77 preem week Nielsens, but I do remember that the 'Welcome Back, Kotter/Mr. T. & Tina' crossover episode got a huge Nielsen, with a substantial fall-off (though still decent) to the Saturday 'Mr. T & Tina' episode.

The problem with 'Mr. T & Tina' was that it showed weekly erosion in the Nielsens until it was pulled. It averaged 14.1HH after five Saturday airings, down from the 14.4HH lead-in that the funny 'Holmes & Yoyo' series garnered at 8 pm for ABC. 'Mr. T & Tina' wasn't that far off of the competition: 'Doc' on CBS averaged 15.7HH at 8:30 pm, and 'Emergency!' on NBC averaged 16.9HH in the 8-9 pm hour. So Mr. Silverman yanked 'Mr. T. & Tina' and replaced it with 'What's Happening', a surprise summer series hit from the summer of 1976. 'What's Happening' averaged a better 14.8HH for its Saturday run before being moved to Thursdays at mid-season.

I seem to remember there were unaired episodes of 'Mr. T. & Tina' at the time it was pulled, and those episodes were never aired or burned off...it wouldn't surprise me if some of them may not have had all of their post-production elements completed. Perhaps Mr. Komack's estate or the Warner library still has time-coded screeners of these very rare unaired episodes. They are probably in the same box as the tapes of the never-aired first season of 'Snip', another comedy series from Mr. Komack starring Mr. David Brenner as a SHAMPOO-inspired hairdresser, that NBC pulled literally on the eve of the 1976 fall premiere week due to reported nervousness around affiliate rumblings about a gay character in the sitcom.

For those who dismiss 'Mr. T. & Tina' as forgettable, I would remind them that it had top-notch actors doing their very best work, and it was one of the ABC nominations in that years Emmy Awards for best art/set design (it didn't win).

I have Mr. T and Tina on Tape and the Sweathoggs were in the ABC TEASER of Mr. T and Tina not in the actual episode on 9/25/76
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
bencasey

The problem with the show is that its terrible. Has nothing to do with timeslot or anything else. The show stinks. And for the record, MTR has all 9 produced episodes, including the 4 unaired.