Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

My Three Sons links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / My Three Sons Photo Gallery

My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two on DVD
My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > My Three Sons

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
old grouch

How sad. He was one of my favorite Sons. RIP
old grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Sucks
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
eng51squad51
Forum Regular

METV Tribute to Don Grady Sunday at 2:00pm to 5:00pm

http://metvnetwork.com/DonGrady.php
eng51squad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00051767.html

'My Three Sons' Star Don Grady Dies at 68, Co-Star Mourns His Passing

June 28, 2012 03:35:43 GMT

Barry Livingston, who shared screen with Grady on 'My Three Sons', remembers his late friend as 'an inspiration to me in so many ways.'

Don Grady passed away on Wednesday, June 27 in Thousand Oaks, California. The 68-year-old actor, who played one of the sons on classic sitcom "My Three Sons" and became one of the Mickey Mouse Club's original Mouseketeers, died after a long battle against cancer.

His "My Three Sons" co-star Barry Livingston offered condolence on his Facebook. "Sad, sad day. My dear friend and TV brother, Don Grady, passed away today. He was an inspiration to me in so many ways and his impact on my life is indelible. I will miss him greatly," he wrote.

Grady appeared on numerous TV shows including "The Eleventh Hour", "The Rifleman", "The Restless Gun", "The Lucy Show", "Simon and Simon" and "Wagon Train". He pursued a musical career after "My Three Sons" ended in 1972 after its 12th season.

He released an album called "Homegrown" in 1973, and followed it up with a collection of songs about baby boomer generation in "Boomer: JazRokPop" almost 35 years later. His music was also featured in 1991 comedy movie "Switch" and served as a theme song for "The Phil Donahue Show".

Grady is survived by his wife Ginny, whom he met at Disneyland and married in 1985, as well as two children, Joey and Tessa.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Unhappy

Don Grady

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

Rest in peace.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7887230.story

Critic's Notebook: In appreciation of Don Grady, 'My Three Sons'

By Robert Lloyd Los Angeles Times Television Critic

June 28, 2012, 2:42 p.m.

Don Grady, who died Wednesday at the age of 68, was best known as one of the eponymous stars of the situation comedy "My Three Sons," which ran for 12 years on two networks, throughout the 1960s and into the '70s. (He was a first-generation Mousketeer and a journeyman child actor before that but worked only a few times afterward.) As Robbie Douglas, he at first played the middle child between Tim Considine's Mike and Stanley Livingston's Chip; later, after Considine left the show and Mike evaporated into nothingness, Robbie became the number-one son, with adopted Ernie (Barry Livingston, Stanley's actual brother) moving in at the bottom to maintain the troika.

Grady was a good-looking kid with a cleft chin, a muscular body and a thick head of hair he wore sculpted in the show's early years and floppy in the later. Although the series ended with Robbie the father of triplets, for much of his time there Grady was the designated embodiment of Teenage, in the prelapsarian, ante-psychedelic, hot-rods-and-malted sense of the word; but more enduringly, he stood for that state of being half a boy and half a man, and of its special frustrations and freedoms.

The kids of television are turned to all sorts of uses these days, good and ill; but in surprisingly few cases do they seem to be authentic children in authentic families. More often they are impossibly precocious; or precociously ironic, or turned to ironic ends; or they are superstar fantasy figures living in a universe where adults dance in attendance upon them while having no real influence or standing of their own.

The world the Douglas family inhabited can also seem unreal — dubiously innocent and soft-cornered — in part because that's how TV wanted it, and in part because these really are different times. And yet one believes from the pilot onward that these people are actual kin, and that they have lived together a long time before we arrived to watch them.

It was an unusual household too, with Fred MacMurray as widowed father Steve more or less at its head, assisted domestically first by William Frawley as father-in-law Bub (unexpectedly delicate work from the man you know as Fred Mertz), and then by Preston Sturges' good-luck charm William Demarest as spiky Uncle Charlie. (For most of its run it was a story of Men Living Without Women.) And if the Douglas boys would formally dress for occasions the well-bred young fellow of today would not tuck in his shirt for, in the early seasons especially the family leads a remarkably noisy, messy, close-quartered life (the apparent roominess of their house notwithstanding), whose portrayal at times achieves a kind of poetry.

Grady had been a showbiz kid trained in the midget vaudeville of the Disney Studios, an early alumni of the same system that later disgorged Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus. But what strikes me now on watching him in clips of "My Three Sons" is the sense of contemplation he brings to the role. Much of the time, of course, Robbie is just a blur passing through the frame, grabbing an apple on his way out the door; he is sporty and active and something of a teenage Don Juan. But when he holds still for a minute, you can see him, even in mundane situations or farcical predicaments, beginning to apprehend the bigness of the world, the seriousness of life.
He might be my favorite '60s TV teen; at least, he was my model for understanding the breed. I somehow can't help conflating Grady-as-Robbie with actual older brothers I knew as a child (my friends' older brothers, as I had none of my own), mysterious creatures busy with projects and machines and rituals I understood not even dimly. Neither can I quite separate him in my mind from Dennis Wilson — the sexy middle Beach Boy brother, who surfed and raced cars but could seem solemn and sensitive as well. Grady looked a little like him, too — they were born the same year, for what that's worth — and like him played the drums (among several other instruments).

Well before the end of the run, the Douglases had become a family stuck in time and out of time; "My Three Sons" grew more polite and, with the addition of new small children, willfully cute, even as the world around it grew hectic and strange: It achieved a quality of nostalgia while it was still on the air. Grady did not stick around for the final season — Robbie was just said to be out of town — and he turned full time to music, working mainly as a composer for film and television. Glimpsed now and again in later years, he looked ageless and happy, like someone who had made all the right choices.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
duckie

Rest in peace Mr. Grady
Old 06-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00051767.html

'My Three Sons' Star Don Grady Dies at 68, Co-Star Mourns His Passing

June 28, 2012 03:35:43 GMT

Barry Livingston, who shared screen with Grady on 'My Three Sons', remembers his late friend as 'an inspiration to me in so many ways.'

Don Grady passed away on Wednesday, June 27 in Thousand Oaks, California. The 68-year-old actor, who played one of the sons on classic sitcom "My Three Sons" and became one of the Mickey Mouse Club's original Mouseketeers, died after a long battle against cancer.

His "My Three Sons" co-star Barry Livingston offered condolence on his Facebook. "Sad, sad day. My dear friend and TV brother, Don Grady, passed away today. He was an inspiration to me in so many ways and his impact on my life is indelible. I will miss him greatly," he wrote.

Grady appeared on numerous TV shows including "The Eleventh Hour", "The Rifleman", "The Restless Gun", "The Lucy Show", "Simon and Simon" and "Wagon Train". He pursued a musical career after "My Three Sons" ended in 1972 after its 12th season.

He released an album called "Homegrown" in 1973, and followed it up with a collection of songs about baby boomer generation in "Boomer: JazRokPop" almost 35 years later. His music was also featured in 1991 comedy movie "Switch" and served as a theme song for "The Phil Donahue Show".

Grady is survived by his wife Ginny, whom he met at Disneyland and married in 1985, as well as two children, Joey and Tessa.
That was a beautiful tribute by Barry.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #25
hawkeye123

I have never seen this show but R.I.P Don Grady.That is very sad news.68 is too young too die.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7887230.story

Critic's Notebook: In appreciation of Don Grady, 'My Three Sons'

By Robert Lloyd Los Angeles Times Television Critic

June 28, 2012, 2:42 p.m.

..... Grady did not stick around for the final season Robbie was just said to be out of town and he turned full time to music, working mainly as a composer for film and television. Glimpsed now and again in later years, he looked ageless and happy, like someone who had made all the right choices.
Actually, he had gone to South America as part of his job.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

The Me-TV tribute is probably not coincidentally 3 hours long. It's almost a certainty that the last hour (at least) will include Rob's wedding to Katie (Season 8) and the birth of the triplets (Season 9).

Most likely, his Season 1 ep with Marta Kristen will pop up as well, though normally Me doesn't show the black & white eps ("kiss her goodnight!?!" scene included in the new commercial for the tribute).

One of his eps with the late Lori Martin also seems to be on the radar (Season 6). Sad that both are now gone.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
retroTVfan4ever

I've never been a big My Three Sons watcher, but Don Grady is legendary for acting in this show. Maybe I'll see some episodes on the Me-TV tribute. R.I.P. Mr. Grady.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Goldilocks
Forum Regular

Great reunion clip from 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_o_S...eature=related
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #30
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
The Me-TV tribute is probably not coincidentally 3 hours long. It's almost a certainty that the last hour (at least) will include Rob's wedding to Katie (Season 8) and the birth of the triplets (Season 9).

Most likely, his Season 1 ep with Marta Kristen will pop up as well, though normally Me doesn't show the black & white eps ("kiss her goodnight!?!" scene included in the new commercial for the tribute).

One of his eps with the late Lori Martin also seems to be on the radar (Season 6). Sad that both are now gone.
Awww...great picks.
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote