Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Britcoms Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Britcoms

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Billy Porter and More Join The Proud Family Revival; HBO Max Orders Gordita Chronicles
FXX Orders Animated Comedy Little Demon; The CW to Revive Legends of the Hidden Temple
Fox 2021-22 Updates Includes Comedy News; ABC Renews Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 for 2021-22, NBC Orders Dark Comedy Pilot
Netflix Sitcom The Upshaws Premieres on Wednesday (May 12); Hallmark Channel Sitcom Schedule Changes
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 10, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Trailer Released for Upcoming Rugrats Reboot; Final Airdate Set for Conan
Fri-Yay: Rolling Stone's 100 Best Sitcoms of All Time; Marion Cunningham Greatest Classic TV Mom in New Poll

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-May)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-10-2021, 12:34 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Why do some American remakes of British TV shows do well and others flop?

And how do you successfully adapt these kinds of shows when British and American viewers tend to have different senses of humor? Also, has there ever been a reverse, a British remake of an American TV show?
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
brtcmfn
Frequent Poster

For example Fawlty Towers was tried twice in the USA: Amanda's place with Bea Arthur and Paine with John Laroquette, they both failed miserably, they did not have the chemistry of the Original, and also they were PC, Vs Fawlty Towers.

And recently the US tried Call me Kat which is the american version of Miranda. Miranda is so much better in chemistry between the cast, story lines, and not PC.

The one so called sitcom that I think was more successful in the USA vs. the UK is Shameless. Even though Shameless was originally from the UK.

Here is a list on Wikipedia: As you can see very few sitcoms have been duplicated in the UK:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...evision_series

VS.
UK->USA:
brtcmfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtcmfn View Post
For example Fawlty Towers was tried twice in the USA: Amanda's place with Bea Arthur and Paine with John Laroquette, they both failed miserably, they did not have the chemistry of the Original, and also they were PC, Vs Fawlty Towers.

And recently the US tried Call me Kat which is the american version of Miranda. Miranda is so much better in chemistry between the cast, story lines, and not PC.

The one so called sitcom that I think was more successful in the USA vs. the UK is Shameless. Even though Shameless was originally from the UK.

Here is a list on Wikipedia: As you can see very few sitcoms have been duplicated in the UK:

VS.
UK->USA:
There was also the failed pilot called Snavely in 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cytl8l83O7k
Old 04-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
SledgeBarone

Game shows seemed to translate well in both directions.

It looks like the only US original to succeed as a UK derivative was The Upper Hand, a knockoff of Who's the Boss.

The Wikipedia entry for the Golden Girls knockoff (The Brighton Belles) said that GG was already familiar to the UK television audience, so they weren't interested in different characters speaking the same lines. I guess that means the US aversion to watching most British original series makes it easier for US derivatives to succeed.
SledgeBarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Brits and Yanks have very different ideas of comedy. A lot of vernacular does not translate well.

For instance, the British version of The Office is considered superior to the American one. I however couldn't even get through the first episode of the British version because the David Brent character was so unlikeable and the cheap production values made me cringe. I also was not a huge fan of the first season of the American version because they initially presented Michael Scott as a David Brent clone. From season two on, however, the character developed more into a needy and socially clueless character which was more sympathetic to viewers.

I LOVED the British version of Being Human, but couldn't make it past the first episode of the American version.

Britain's IT Crowd was amazing, but the American pilot didn't get picked up even though it starred Richard Ayoade.

"Awesome" ends in "Me".

Coincidence?

I think not.
shotzette is offline   Reply With Quote