Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-15-2003, 12:26 PM   #16
bearcat
Frequent Poster

Last edited by bearcat; 11-21-2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:01 PM   #17
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally posted by vashti1999
It's because you're Canadian. Seriously, it's just a guess, I don't know one way or the other but assuming the possibility that you were involved in trades across borders, that may have something to do with it.
Since Terry Hoknes (Canadian) had his collection seized by the police recently, I would be cautious if I was a Canadian trader right now.

By the way, Bearcat had my trading link on his site, yet I did not lose my site, nor was I threatened by the MPAA.

Old 11-15-2003, 02:10 PM   #18
jasoncole
Frequent Poster

oh no! not terry too he had a huge collection and a lot on his list were complete series i was hoping to get rhoda from him later on down the track
mabye we shouldn't bother running web sites and just post our have/want lists as email attachments that way its harder for them to put a stop to it ,and i thought this was all supposed to be LEGAL
Old 11-16-2003, 02:21 AM   #19
secret_defender
Frequent Poster

jasoncole = it is but Canada passed a new law saying no copies whether buying or trading quite possible just having them in the house - all be seized with a warrant shown, far as i know nothing else is done to the victim, all copies, equipment & computer taken

outside of canada they can do nothing but report to others and the others will do as the wish, 'others' at least in the States won't do anything unless sales are mass produced meaning at least , 2000.00 or copying offically released items for sales at any price, trading copies is cool no matter what

Any need more information feel free to ask.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:48 AM   #20
Beavis
Forum Regular

This is good to hear! Thanks!
Old 11-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #21
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally posted by secret_defender
jasoncole = it is but Canada passed a new law saying no copies whether buying or trading quite possible just having them in the house - all be seized with a warrant shown, far as i know nothing else is done to the victim, all copies, equipment & computer taken outside of canada they can do nothing but report to others and the others will do as the wish, 'others' at least in the States won't do anything unless sales are mass produced meaning at least , 2000.00 or copying offically released items for sales at any price, trading copies is cool no matter what

Secret Defender,

Thank you sooooooooo much for making some of this stuff more clear. Having a page with specifics regarding laws would be most appreciated.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:39 AM   #22
secret_defender
Frequent Poster

Excuse me some of my information above is wrong. Selling in Canada no matter what the price they'll seize but can't do nothing in trading as said by a Canadian Attorney. Be reported and perphaps spoken to to scare one but that's as far as it will go as trading there. And in other email from someone i know they said that lasw was been around for about 4 years

I don't know about other countries but in the US this is a good place to start for information: www.findlaw.com & not sure of website address but in a serach engine type tape trading faq and you'll find what FBI said about it that is who controls the copyright here.

For the record but can't provide proof, actual law enforcements here did buy from me at my old {most not all** higher prices where i didn't have beat any price promise.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #23
TJHooker
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by secret_defender
jasoncole = it is but Canada passed a new law saying no copies whether buying or trading quite possible just having them in the house - all be seized with a warrant shown, far as i know nothing else is done to the victim, all copies, equipment & computer taken

outside of canada they can do nothing but report to others and the others will do as the wish, 'others' at least in the States won't do anything unless sales are mass produced meaning at least , 2000.00 or copying offically released items for sales at any price, trading copies is cool no matter what

This info about the states is not entirely true..I had a friend that never sold a tape in his life but traded for many years.

His house was raided, his entire collection confiscated, all of his video equipment was confiscated as well and he was arrested and charged a pretty hefty fine. He lost his house due to all the legal fees and fines that he had to pay and his wife divorced him

He was so depressed after everything that happened that he eventually took his own life.

He had a disclaimer on his website..just like I see on alot of other sites and he was told that in a court of law..those disclaimers don't mean jack. They are totally worthless and most law enforcement officials find them laughable..because in the long run..the material on the tapes being traded or sold is copyrighted material.

Also..the only way that you can sell a tape..is for the actual retail cost of the tape itself if it were a blank tape. When selling it in this manner..you cannot list what it on the tape..you can only say that the tape has something pre recorded on it or that the tape is not blank. As soon as you mention what is on the tape..they can, if they want to, nail your ass to the wall for copyright infringement

I did some research after what happened with Steve and found out that you basically cannot make a profit in anyway from the sales or trades of these tapes..as soon as you do..they can nail you for copyright infringement if that is what they want to do.

Also..claiming that all the monies obtained through the sale or trade go back into the maintaining of the site, equipment, cost of electricity in using the equipment is useless. It is still seen as you making a profit regardless of how you word it.

I can tell you more of what I learned through Steve's tragic experience..but right now I am going to stop because I just got depressed thinking about my old friend..

RIP Steve.. you are missed buddy
Old 11-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #24
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally posted by TJHooker
This info about the states is not entirely true..I had a friend that never sold a tape in his life but traded for many years.
His house was raided, his entire collection confiscated, all of his video equipment was confiscated as well and he was arrested and charged a pretty hefty fine.
This is awful news. May I ask, when did this transpire?

Perhaps there was more to that situation than meets the eye.
Trading is either legal or it isn't, unless some states are stricter on these issues than others.

Last edited by Agent 13; 11-20-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #25
dlemond
Hey, I know you.

Not for nothing, but that story of Steve seems quite simplified- that trading tapes led to his death.

Like there isn't a dozen other factors that had something to do with that?

Plus- if you never made a dime, how can you be fined.
Isn't it just like loaning a tape - and you loaning me yours?

There is no way that person lost all his money from simply "trading" tapes.
Maybe adding a ridiculously stupid lawyer would add something- but still, strictly trading?

Doubt it.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:31 PM   #26
AcidBurnz1107
Frequent Poster

Default agree

I agree! It had to be more than just tape trading. I would hope any ways! ok I dont have the balls to go any further into that!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:56 PM   #27
secret_defender
Frequent Poster

I'd like more info on that story. There has to be more to it as to why the fine and raid. City, State, Court Dates and show us here the actual law that says trading illegal.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:23 AM   #28
Beavis
Forum Regular

sounds more now like an urband legend, chain of events? led to a divorce? then suicide? you're gonna kill yourself over tapes? you lose a house ovr tapes? the fines can be paid via installments, like a creditor, so that's nothing new...and it sounds fishy now.. LOL please... some illegal activity happened, but to cause a divorce, etc... yeah, if it's true there should be court records, public records of this somewhere...so for now, let's assume there was more illegal acitivity to it then just tape swapping etc...
Old 11-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #29
jasoncole
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by TJHooker

His house was raided, his entire collection confiscated, all of his video equipment was confiscated as well and he was arrested and charged a pretty hefty fine. He lost his house due to all the legal fees and fines that he had to pay and his wife divorced him

He was so depressed after everything that happened that he eventually took his own life.

He had a disclaimer on his website..just like I see on alot of other sites and he was told that in a court of law..those disclaimers don't mean jack. They are totally worthless and most law enforcement officials find them laughable..because in the long run..the material on the tapes being traded or sold is copyrighted material.

Also..the only way that you can sell a tape..is for the actual retail cost of the tape itself if it were a blank tape. When selling it in this manner..you cannot list what it on the tape..you can only say that the tape has something pre recorded on it or that the tape is not blank. As soon as you mention what is on the tape..they can, if they want to, nail your ass to the wall for copyright infringement

I did some research after what happened with Steve and found out that you basically cannot make a profit in anyway from the sales or trades of these tapes..as soon as you do..they can nail you for copyright infringement if that is what they want to do.

Also..claiming that all the monies obtained through the sale or trade go back into the maintaining of the site, equipment, cost of electricity in using the equipment is useless. It is still seen as you making a profit regardless of how you word it.

I can tell you more of what I learned through Steve's tragic experience..but right now I am going to stop because I just got depressed thinking about my old friend..

RIP Steve.. you are missed buddy

R.I.P STEVE
Old 11-23-2003, 03:32 AM   #30
TJHooker
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by dlemond
Not for nothing, but that story of Steve seems quite simplified- that trading tapes led to his death.

Like there isn't a dozen other factors that had something to do with that?

Plus- if you never made a dime, how can you be fined.
Isn't it just like loaning a tape - and you loaning me yours?

There is no way that person lost all his money from simply "trading" tapes.
Maybe adding a ridiculously stupid lawyer would add something- but still, strictly trading?

Doubt it.
I never said that trading tapes led to his death..if that was what people got from the story then I apologize. It was all the pressure of everything that happened after the raid that eventually caused him to take his life. He literaly lost everything that meant something to him. I guess when his wife walked out..that was it for him

Steve told me that he only traded and he was a stand up guy.. so I took him on his word that he only traded and did not sell. Maybe he did and never told anyone..but as far as I know I he did not sell them.

I guess it really doesn't matter at this point anymore whether he did or didn't..he is not around anymore to answer for himself.

I am not a lawyer..nor did I ever claim to be.. so I have no idea as to the legalities surrounding this hobby. All I know is what happened to someone that to my knowledge only traded.

Maybe he got tagged because he used to do alot of trading with people overseas..He used to send and receive tapes from all over the world on a daily basis.

This whole hobby appears to be in a very grey market area concerning it's legalities. There are always disclaimers at the end of shows in the credits stating that the material is copyrighted and is not to be duplicated..but yet the sale of VCR's and DVD recorders is allowed..

I understand that under some law staute you are allowed to record a show for personal use..do they consider that personal use over when you loan that tape out to somone..is this what they consider illegal distribution as they state in their disclaimers???

I wish that the law was more defined in this whole area..but I guess if Hollywood has their way with the advent of this digital technology..we won't be able to record anything and it will all be a moot point