Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-23-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Important Advice for all people purchasing Tapes/Episodes from people on this board

Always try to purchase episodes or tapes that are not that expensive. No more than $20. I just read a post from a guy who is out of $150 and didn't get his tapes. Please whatever you do never never send someone off this board that much money. It's too risky. Most of my purchases have always been $15 and under. I think someone should only send $150 to a company not a person off this board. Hopefully everyone takes this post seriously.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Agent 13

Hind site is always 20/20, isn't it? That's why I wish more traders/sellers took PayPal, where there's accountability. In the case of sending money orders, checks, or even cash, it's your word against theirs. Someone can get blackballed because of mere words, but remember this: what goes around comes around in both good and bad. "Whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap."
Old 05-23-2003, 11:57 AM   #3
Nanny Fine
Justine and Holden..

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeneric
Hind site is always 20/20, isn't it? That's why I wish more traders/sellers took PayPal, where there's accountability. In the case of sending money orders, checks, or even cash, it's your word against theirs. Someone can get blackballed because of mere words, but remember this: what goes around comes around in both good and bad. "Whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap."
Not everyone is a bad seller but I agree with Jeneric. I wish everyone used PayPal. Pay with PayPal, use Delivery Confirmation on your packages (which I do for everything anyhow) and you are covered.

How it all came down to this, only the Devil knows. Retail Rodeo is at the corner on my left. The motel is down the road to my right. I close my eyes and try to peer into the future. On my left, I saw days upon days of lipstick and ticking clocks, dirty looks and quiet whisperings. And burning secrets that just won't ever die away. And on my right, what could I picture? The blue sky, the desert earth, stretching out into the eerie infinity. A beautiful never-ending nothing.

~Justine, "The Good Girl"

Bush for President!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
Agent 13

Default Delivery Confirmation

Quote:
use Delivery Confirmation on your packages (which I do for everything anyhow) and you are covered.

Using Delivery Confirmation only covers you once you've mailed the proof (post office dated slip) to the recipient. Until that actually transpires, the sender has no leg to stand on, and it will make any customer doubtful and quite possibly obnoxious.

It is very sad when we even have to use Delivery Confirmation so much these days. Too bad this is necessary, but such is the way of the world today.

Last edited by Agent 13; 05-24-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:10 PM   #5
dave w.
Frequent Poster

Default TRUE

i always use confirmation for this reason when sending a package to someone. - because when i order something and the seller sends a confirmation # i can feel secure its on the way. and by going online i can track it also. then if it never arrives i can say it was lost and not the seller never sending it. i also want people who buy or trade with me to feel that same security !! I have a brother that works in the p.o and he said it was terrible how many people make a living from mail fraud every year. And the bad thing is that they think they're in the right and that we're in the wrong !!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:49 AM   #6
Agent 13

Default Honesty is the best policy

The bottom line, is that it is far more important for sellers to be honest than for buyers to beware. If the sellers are honest, then buyers have nothing to fear. It is putting the cart before the horse to put the blame on the customer rather than on the root cause. However, warning folks to not send so much money to someone for tapes or anything else for that matter, preventive medicine, if you will, is wise only in that honesty is a fading characteristic. Is it wrong to be trusting? Of course not. Then let's not blame the customer, especially when so much time has elapsed.

In the case where a package has truly been lost, an honest seller would not hesitate to forward the postal dated delivery confirmation slip out to the customer to set the customer's mind at rest, proving that the package was actually mailed; however, since I have shipped and received literally thousands of packages over the last four years via eBay, Half.com, and Alibris (on-line bookstore), I know what I am talking about when I state that it is extremely rare for a package to get lost in transit. I have only had it happen to me once, and the circumstances were very suspicious.

Incidently, postal workers admit quite freely that packages with only delivery confirmation (no insurance) cannot be actually located by the Post Office in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited by Agent 13; 05-25-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
dave w.
Frequent Poster

Default keeping in touch.

i agree 110%. I also state that keeping in touch with your customers by sending confirmation , by letting them know how their order is going and being friendly throughout the transaction makes a great difference in business. Also if i dont have time or too many irons in the fire, i won't accept an order or ask the customer to wait , else notify them a time limit of processing. A good conscience to me means more than anything else, and being honest is fore front in having one. I know then sleep will come easy !!
Old 05-26-2003, 02:21 AM   #8
teboomer
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster

Default USPS

My aunt works at the post office so I KNOW packages get LOST by USPS ALL THE TIME! I have had SEVERAL packages from Ebay purchases LOST by USPS over the past few years. Packages DO get lost by USPS and packages are NOT always scanned when the package needs to be scanned.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:16 AM   #9
mcjohnc
Banned
Banned!!
Occasional Poster

Default USPS & Ebay

I'd have to agree with Teboomer, I've had SEVERAL money orders and packages over the past 3 years from sellers on Ebay & from people on THESE BOARDS that swear they sent the tapes and they provide delivery confirmation numbers and the packages are lost all of he time. I WORK at USPS so I KNOW how UNRELIABLE USPS is and how USPS loses packages, money orders and mail all of the time! I've personally had packages going from CA to NY that were sent PRIORITY that took a MONTH to get to NY from California.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: USPS & Ebay

Quote:
Originally posted by mcjohnc
I'd have to agree with Teboomer, I've had SEVERAL money orders and packages over the past 3 years from sellers on Ebay & from people on THESE BOARDS that swear they sent the tapes and they provide delivery confirmation numbers and the packages are lost all of he time. I WORK at USPS so I KNOW how UNRELIABLE USPS is and how USPS loses packages, money orders and mail all of the time! I've personally had packages going from CA to NY that were sent PRIORITY that took a MONTH to get to NY from California.

Which is why i decided to only purchase ebay items for people on the eastcoast instead of the westcoast. But when Tina sent me a tape from seattle on a Saturday it surprisingly arrived on monday morning. But on ebay, when i ordered things from people in CA, either I never received it or it took forever
Old 05-26-2003, 10:32 AM   #11
Agent 13

Default USPS

I do not doubt that packages do get lost by the USPS, though extremely rarely; however, when delivery confirmation is used, the number will register on USPS on-line .

When I inquired at the post office about this situation a month ago, they told me that it was never mailed if the delivery confirmation # perpetually states (for more than a few days) the following:
Quote:
There is no record of that item. If it was mailed recently, information may not yet be available. Please try again later.
The postal worker told me that I needed to ask Tina to mail me the postal dated delivery confirmation form to prove that what she was telling me was the truth, which he didn't believe himself.

In an April 23rd email Tina stated:
Quote:
I told you that I would replace the taps if they got lost. Although right now I'm in the middle of a 21 tape order.
and I can only hope at this point.

Tina is both teboomer and mcjohnc though by the time you read this she may have edited her post to say otherwise.

Last edited by Agent 13; 05-27-2003 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:05 PM   #12
Evita Peron
Evita Perón
Forum Regular

Cool

I've traded with a person on this board before and got the tape. But the quality was not that good. So there are some honest traders around. At least I got the tape.

Crystal

"I would willingly die a thousand times for my descamisados." Evita
Old 05-26-2003, 12:11 PM   #13
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by robert-reed-fan
I've traded with a person on this board before and got the tape. But the quality was not that good. So there are some honest traders around. At least I got the tape.

Crystal

Sometimes i will not have a problem with quality of a show if it was short-lived because most short lived shows are hard to find. I ordered a show that aired only one month and i could barely hear the show or see it clear because at the time there wasn;'t not cable in a lot of households and it was only antennas-LOL
Old 05-26-2003, 12:15 PM   #14
mcjohnc
Banned
Banned!!
Occasional Poster

Default Delivery confirmation

If the Delivery confirmation was not SCANNED by the USPS employee then it will NOT show up in the system and happens ALL THE TIME! so if it was not scanned at the post office it would not showup ONLINE OR at the post office, which is probably what happened with your package because I have sent Tina $300 at one time for tapes and I had no problem receiving my tapes.

Last edited by mcjohnc; 05-26-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:20 PM   #15
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: Delivery confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by mcjohnc
If the Delivery confirmation was not SCANNED by the USPS employee then it will NOT show up in the system and happens ALL THE TIME! so if it was not scanned at the post office it would not showup ONLINE OR at the post office, which is probably what happened with your pacage because I have sent Tina $300 at one time for tapes and I had no problem receiving my tapes.

$300? Sounds like Tina is the Tape trader of the year-LOL