Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Emmy Awards to Go Without Host; New Caroline in the City DVDs Arrive

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
Jade_Curtiss
Frequent Poster

Agree on the "no Lost Loves."
I could see the use for them before the internet age, but nowadays, it's like..."Have you checked Facebook?"
Jade_Curtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #17
NCRavensFan86
Frequent Poster

No more unexplained, conspiracy theory, sci-med, miracles, historical cases. (The History Channel airs plenty of that stuff)

No more Lost Loves, but still find a place to air that cheesy upbeat resolution music. I love that!

I would bring back Fraud cases, identify theft is a huge problem these days, the Carol Anderson case that aired in 1995 was a good foreshadower (sadly a lot of fraud cases are left off of the Amazon episodes) and I would bring back Kidnapping/Parent custody cases.

More Final Appeal segments and of course plenty of Unexplained Death, Wanted, Missing Persons case (the original core of UM)

I would also create two types of new segments one is "Cybercrime" because there are so many hackers and thieves out on the internet.

The other being "Road Rage" because it is a huge and growing problem in the United States.
NCRavensFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #18
Guardian
Forum Regular

More fraud cases?!! Seriously? lol

I guess everyone has different tastes. To me those were among the most boring. Those and the old Don Juan guys that would sleep with old ladies so they could steal their money. Not that I condone it, but those segments were typically just boring. Iíd take the magic rock and makes-you-horny chocolate any day over those.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #19
Guardian
Forum Regular

Everyone seems to agree on at least the Unexplained Death, Missing and Final Appeal Cases at least.

Personally I enjoy the Unexplained segments too. But if the series returns, I’d almost suggest they do a Halloween special with the ghosts and cryptozoology stuff, then maybe a special each season of alien/UFO stuff. Other than that, the unsolved murders, missing persons, and final appeal stuff should be top of the list.

I guess the robbery ones and even fraud were staples of the series, but unless they are somehow creepy, I never preferred them as much. My favorites are ones where I can speculate on what really happened or who was responsible, etc. but there is of course a need and even a responsibility for a show of this type to do the wanted segments as well. Those are most likely to be solved and it is good to help get the bad guys off the streets.

I think lost loves would still need to be featured, but maybe not as often. Even in this age of social media and internet, lost love cases are not as easily solved as one may think. They help of course, but there can still be a lot of difficulty depending on the situation.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #20
drew790
Forum Regular

The Fraud cases were interesting, not just about sleeping with old ladies.

The Maria Lapine case or the Ellen Berry cases are great mysteries. Or the Countess of Cleveland. The people who stole from banks, also great. We lost a lot of great segments from the updated version with these being excluded.

I was pretty young during the early 90s, but I feel there was more of a UFO craze back then than there is now. Do people still care about these post-XFiles?
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #21
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian
I think lost loves would still need to be featured, but maybe not as often. Even in this age of social media and internet, lost love cases are not as easily solved as one may think. They help of course, but there can still be a lot of difficulty depending on the situation.

I don't know, I also think UM was naÔve in its presentation of these cases and their willingness to get involved back then. Stalking laws are still not what they should be, even worse then, I don't really think hunting down people who've voluntarily left is something that should be assisted with.

Like that Nurse Stevens segment, where she very clearly left her position in the army because she got married and then this guy is on TV trying to hunt her down and it's so clear from his interview he wants a lot more of her than "to say thank you" despite knowing she was married.

IMO anyway.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #22
wiseguy182

The thing is, even fraud cases are covered extensively these days. CNBC has American Greed hosted by Stacy Keach (also of Missing: Reward & Case Closed). I think they tend to skewer towards solved cases, but the occasional unsolved does pop up.

There's no shortage of murder mysteries shows out there, most devoting an entire hour to one case.

I think Unsolved Mysteries was something that could only exist during the timeframe it did. People were a lot more open to variety then. Honestly, and I think someone may have said this before, but I'm not sure people would have the attention span for a lost love, the unexplained, sci-med and what have you.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #23
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Wanted/Missing/Unexplained Death/Treasure/Final Appeal and a few unsolvable mysteries (Noah's Ark, Bigfoot, etc.) sprinkled in here and there.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #24
RevengeTypeBurn
Frequent Poster

In terms of production values and visual style, basically like A&E's "The Eleven" series or The Hunt with John Walsh. With some of the old school 80s/early 90s CMP flair, of course. It's much more affordable to have a good looking show of this type these days, so they wouldn't have to resort to the unfortunate video feel of the latter seasons.

I agree that for the most part the Lost Loves are an artifact of a passed time, ditto the telecenter. It'd be hard to have Unsolved Mysteries without the supernatural, though.
RevengeTypeBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #25
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I think Unsolved Mysteries was something that could only exist during the timeframe it did. People were a lot more open to variety then. .
Yeah, there's definitely something to this.

A lot of what made the early episodes great was the satanic panic of the 80s and the naivety in forensics.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #26
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790
Lost Loves would seem mostly irrelevant in the social media era. I found a lot of these segments stalkerish, like the single man seeking the married nurse who cared for him.
I hope you're not referring to Karen Stephens or Linda Sharp. Because those nurses gave Jim Meade and Jim Baczkowsk the will to live again after being severely injured in Vietnam.

I love those stories.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #27
Jon
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I hope you're not referring to Karen Stephens or Linda Sharp. Because those nurses gave Jim Meade and Jim Baczkowsk the will to live again after being severely injured in Vietnam.

I love those stories.
Those are two out of my three favorite LL stories. The third being Duncan Gilmore of course!

I can't remember which Jim it was...but that letter the nurse wrote to his wife about losing his leg...one of the most moving moments in the entire show.

Your point reminds me that UM did more for vets than any other show that I am aware of, so if we ever get a new UM, I would hope it continues that tradition.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #28
Guardian
Forum Regular

I love how the term ďstalkingĒ over the years has had its definition broadened. I remember being a little kid (think like 7 or 8) and having a crush. Just out of curiosity, I would be curious where the crush lived. So Iíd try to watch on the walk or ride home. Not following or anything, just keeping an eye out. I remember my mother even thinking it was cute. Not like I was gonna just show up at the other kids house or do anything wrong or creepy even. Simply curious about them is all. I wouldnít do that as an adult or anything either.

But today, a kid doing that would be ridiculed and labeled as stalking. Which IMO kind of trivializes the true stalking cases out there. Stalking is by definition a hunter seeking prey. So intent to do harm is implied. I wouldnít consider an army vet, with or without an infatuation, looking for the nurse that once treated him as being a stalker. That seems kind of harsh to me. And besides, if the nurse didnít want to reconnect to at least say hello and see how he was doing, why pick up the phone and allow UM to put them in touch with each other?

Bottom line, whether you like lost love segments or not, and Iíll admit myself they were not generally my favorite segments, I donít think itís fair to label them as stalking the person they are looking for.

Just saying...
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #29
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
There's no shortage of murder mysteries shows out there, most devoting an entire hour to one case.

I think Unsolved Mysteries was something that could only exist during the timeframe it did. People were a lot more open to variety then. Honestly, and I think someone may have said this before, but I'm not sure people would have the attention span for a lost love, the unexplained, sci-med and what have you.
Agreed - though I'd also argue UM has a lot more weight/cachet to it that could make a properly-executed revitalization work.

Given advances in DNA and other forensic tech, I'd like to see some more Final Appeals. Unexplained Death, Missing & Wanted cases would also rank high up there for me.

*(Really getting into the show again and browsing these boards has spurred me to get out there and browse other sites like the Doe Network, Charley Project etc.........of the above, there's so much that UM didn't cover way back when, you could go on and on for years)

As far as the Lost Loves - yeah, Google and Facebook have pretty much rendered those irrelevant for the most part. Legends are okay once in a while, UFO stories are hokey though IMO........all the other such stuff I'm pretty indifferent on.

Would be tough to find someone to fill Robert Stack's shoes though
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote