Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Just watched this case for the first time.

UM did their typical hypothesizing about scenarios that, while plausible, are highly improbable. They presented three theories as described below:

1) Gilbert was a private pilot and it is theorized he was approached by drug dealers to transport drugs. Indeed, his wife says he told her about being approached on several occasions but flatly denied that he was involved or ever would be involved. If Gilbert were accosted by people to fly drugs and refused, I seriously doubt they would kill him (what would be the motive?).

2) The second scenario is that somehow organized crime got to him in retaliation to his brother who was testifying in an organized crime case. The segment didn't elaborate much on this scenario and we have no idea what his brother was testifying about or who it involved. Nonetheless, I am skeptical that an organized crime syndicate would kill Perman over something his younger brother was involved in. If anything they would kill the brother, not Perman. I see no motive there.

3) The third scenario, and the most likely one, is an extramarital affair gone wrong. Perman was an appliance repairman and made house calls. The segment mentioned that his last known whereabouts the day he disappeared was at a flower shop inside a grocery store. The clerk said he asked for another woman who worked there because she knew what flowers he wanted to buy. This implies that Perman was regularly buying flowers for someone. Also, the clerk at the counter mentioned that Perman asked her to have lunch with him (though in a sort of playful kind of way). This implies to me that Perman was a big flirt with the local ladies.

My scenario: Perman was caught in the "act" with another man's wife or girlfriend and was killed on the spot. This would explain why he was nude. The coroner said that the bullet wounds in his chest area were fired when Perman was shirtless. The perpetrator then moved his nude (or half nude) body and dumped it on the side of a road. This fits in with a "crime of passion." The family was in denial that he could have been killed because of a possible affair.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #17
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Just watched this case for the first time.

UM did their typical hypothesizing about scenarios that, while plausible, are highly improbable. They presented three theories as described below:

1) Gilbert was a private pilot and it is theorized he was approached by drug dealers to transport drugs. Indeed, his wife says he told her about being approached on several occasions but flatly denied that he was involved or ever would be involved. If Gilbert were accosted by people to fly drugs and refused, I seriously doubt they would kill him (what would be the motive?).
I distinctly remember the line "If you guys don't quit buggin' me, I'm gonna contact the authorities." in the segment. The possible motive is that they worried Perman was going to inform the authorities.

Quote:
2) The second scenario is that somehow organized crime got to him in retaliation to his brother who was testifying in an organized crime case. The segment didn't elaborate much on this scenario and we have no idea what his brother was testifying about or who it involved. Nonetheless, I am skeptical that an organized crime syndicate would kill Perman over something his younger brother was involved in. If anything they would kill the brother, not Perman. I see no motive there.
But killing family members is quite common on UM. Think the Markowitzes and the Gary Grants, for example. It's not that far-fetched.

Quote:
3) The third scenario, and the most likely one, is an extramarital affair gone wrong. Perman was an appliance repairman and made house calls. The segment mentioned that his last known whereabouts the day he disappeared was at a flower shop inside a grocery store. The clerk said he asked for another woman who worked there because she knew what flowers he wanted to buy. This implies that Perman was regularly buying flowers for someone. Also, the clerk at the counter mentioned that Perman asked her to have lunch with him (though in a sort of playful kind of way). This implies to me that Perman was a big flirt with the local ladies.

My scenario: Perman was caught in the "act" with another man's wife or girlfriend and was killed on the spot. This would explain why he was nude. The coroner said that the bullet wounds in his chest area were fired when Perman was shirtless. The perpetrator then moved his nude (or half nude) body and dumped it on the side of a road. This fits in with a "crime of passion." The family was in denial that he could have been killed because of a possible affair.
I think that's the most popular theory on the boards, and I won't argue too much with that one. But Perman was a hefty man by the looks of it, and probably too much for one man to move.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #18
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I think that's the most popular theory on the boards, and I won't argue too much with that one. But Perman was a hefty man by the looks of it, and probably too much for one man to move.
Not only that, but it sounds as though his van was abandoned in the middle of nowhere. Assuming the killer drove it, how would they have departed the scene if not for someone else either following them, or picking them up in another vehicle?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #19
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Not only that, but it sounds as though his van was abandoned in the middle of nowhere. Assuming the killer drove it, how would they have departed the scene if not for someone else either following them, or picking them up in another vehicle?
Yes, and to play devil's advocate with my own theory: Who was the mistress? And if Perman was killed because of her, why didn't she come forward? If Perman was killed while naked, this implies he was caught in the "act" or sometime soon after. This would imply that the woman would be there at the scene. If so, she would have witnessed it (or at least known what happened). Again, where is she? Why has she been silent? This makes me wonder if there were any missing women in the area at about the same time. Did the killer dispense of both the wife and the "lover?"

Or perhaps the angry husband had already known of the affair and just ambushed Perman somewhere along his route. At some point during a struggle his shirt was removed and he was shot. This probably makes more sense actually because it explains why no mistress has come forward as a witness.

I don't discount the drug running theory completely, I just find it more unlikely. It is possible, I suppose, that Perman ran a few drug flights then had second thoughts and decided to stop. It's possible he was killed because of that.

As for the mob theory, I find it a bit far-fetched, though not totally crazy or outside the realm of possibility. My main problem with it is that the brother had already testified. Typically these types of people want to stop witnesses from testifying in the first place. This might include threats to the witness' family or an actually killing of a family member. However, I find it unlikely they would chose a brother.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:04 AM   #20
wiseguy182

Quote:
Or perhaps the angry husband had already known of the affair and just ambushed Perman somewhere along his route. At some point during a struggle his shirt was removed and he was shot. This probably makes more sense actually because it explains why no mistress has come forward as a witness.
The segment stated that Perman had completed all of his service calls for that day. His final moments involve him doing leisure things/eating a meal.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #21
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
The segment stated that Perman had completed all of his service calls for that day. His final moments involve him doing leisure things/eating a meal.
Yeah, I just meant that the killer perhaps followed him and then ambushed him somewhere along his travels that day (whether scheduled or not).
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
justins5256

Quote:
Yes, and to play devil's advocate with my own theory: Who was the mistress? And if Perman was killed because of her, why didn't she come forward? If Perman was killed while naked, this implies he was caught in the "act" or sometime soon after. This would imply that the woman would be there at the scene. If so, she would have witnessed it (or at least known what happened). Again, where is she? Why has she been silent? This makes me wonder if there were any missing women in the area at about the same time. Did the killer dispense of both the wife and the "lover?"
My feeling is that the mistress (if she existed) helped cover up the crime and never came forward out of fear of being prosecuted herself and/or out of feelings of loyalty toward her SO.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #23
RightOnDude
Forum Regular

surely the cops in this town have been able to determine who big Parm's "side pieces" were and questioned them extensively?
RightOnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #24
freakbook

Did anyone else get the feeling that his wife knew he was having an affair/s?

It's odd that she waited to go look for him, I mean all she had to do was go drive around. And another odd bit was the fact that she said "I find him attractive, I'm sure other women do as well" but denied that it could've been an affair and was drug related. I don't think she wanted to admit it on television, but you can tell that she knew he was having an affair.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #25
James T

Don't buy this having anything to do with his brother-what would the point be of killing an innocent man months after his brother had already testified?

The drug running theory is more interesting-it is highly unlikely that turning the offer down would result in any violence-after all these people like to keep under the radar, but what if he had been involved & either messed up or ripped them off? That would certainly be cause enough for him to be murdered & possibly beaten severely beforehand.

Most likely scenario is an affair, his job gave him access to lone women & a jealous husband/partner may have caught him & killed him. Cannot see a random homicide being so frenzied or the attacker stripping him naked.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #26
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
Did anyone else get the feeling that his wife knew he was having an affair/s?

It's odd that she waited to go look for him, I mean all she had to do was go drive around. And another odd bit was the fact that she said "I find him attractive, I'm sure other women do as well" but denied that it could've been an affair and was drug related. I don't think she wanted to admit it on television, but you can tell that she knew he was having an affair.
I did sort of get that vibe as well, especially when she quickly dismissed the so-called "crime of passion" theory. That's all it is, however: just a feeling.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #27
DALLASTEXAN!!

Absolutely crime of passion for me.

The grocery store witnesses for me hold The most weight. They seemed to be the most unbiased and credible in the segment. He always flirted with the cashier. He was trying to buy flowers for someone. And then he was found naked. Most likely “went to work that day” And was caught in the act with someone. I know that area a little bit. It is very rural! the crime was covered well and not able to be traced if he was in turn being secretive about it. Hopefully the case is very solvable as it would only take one person to come forward. This is one where at least 2 people know what happened?
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #28
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Perm didn't come home at 3 p.m. that day, and his wife didn't call someone to ask about his whereabouts until 3 in the morning. She knew that Perm was out there spreading the love.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote