Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #46
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

More freaky Stories...

EAR attacked a woman w/ a teen daughter - after tying her up he acted erratic as a group of teens were messing around outside on the street and the woman had back scar that EAR did not see while spying on her, after he raised her shirt he stared at her back for 3-4 mins, while pulling her waist band, finally after the mins passed, he snapped the elastic and never raped her. (The teens might be a different attack, it was either the teens outside or her daughter's alarm that bugged him combined)

Another attack had a babysitter get attacked, but the house phone rang (EAR had not cut the lines as he often did) after 2 sets of 10+ rings, he let the girl say "Hello" and hung up the phone - the phone rang AGAIN and he got flustered and took her outside, where minutes later her parents pulled into the yard and scared him off - he ran to a river and was seen running by a fisher woman.

Another sighting had EAR climbing out of a dumpster at 6:30 am outside a business woman's work.

The EAR did a lot of scouting - may have posed as a realator and a different charity, and wore costumes. A very frustrating book to read as every 3 or 4 pages another attack occurs and the cops relate how all these neighbors heard, saw and experienced wierd things in the weeks leading to the attacks and mostly reporting nothing to police. One couple heard him break into their neighbor's house, but since they knew the neighbor was vacationing in Europe, they did not call the police - IIRC the EAR attacked the family when they returned home.
Arnold_OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #47
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

More stuff:

EAR was actually caught at least once (I'm nearing the end of the book) he broke into a house and was ransacking it, and he got to the bedroom and the man awoke and watched him put his mask on while clutching shoe laces (his favorite binding tool... The man jumped out of bed and corned EAR screaming at him as his girlfriend ran downstairs (as they had practiced in event of an EAR attack) and called for help, instead of keeping EAR cornered the man ran off too and despite the woman and neighbors being outside no one saw EAR leave, but when the cops checked minutes later EAR was gone.

EAR didn't outright rape all of his victims, forwhatever reason he seemed to just kind of plunge his male protuberance into the girl and pull out almost right away sometimes.

One of the EAR's victim's ended up ENJOYING the rape as she was into kinky sex and she sounded more turned on than emotionally fractured by her attack when cops interviewed her.

One really strange suspect they cleared had a childhood of forced incest, and parents who wore ski caps and flashlights to scare there kids, and even bound the children for sexual purposes, so fitting the EAR's MO to a tee almost, but I believe blood cleared him.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #48
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

More:

In most cases the EAR seemed uninterested in playing with the women's breasts, he would rape them and some got anal rape and licked the woman's privates, many were also forced to giving oral sex to EAR...Almost, if not all of the victim's were also forced to stroke his penis w/ bound hands behind their backs, one woman started stroking him before ordered and EAR seemed excited an actually played w/ her breasts after this.

There is a theory that the Goleta Murders are not EAR's doing, since in 2 of the murder's a big German shepard was involved at the crime scene, brought by the Perp. Also in at least 2 of the murder's the Perp lost control of the male and had a struggle before the murder. And in the 1st murder the MALE was anally raped and then castrated. All are not a part of EAR's MO...Some suspect that these were another perp attempted to emulate EAR in order to cover the crimes, and there is some evidence to suggest a mob involvement...this was not in the book, but from another website dealing with the EAR... I believe DNA links EAR to these murders...

The murder's were not reported to Larry Crompton and the EAR Task force as the local police did not want word getting out, since President Reagan owned a house in the area.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #49
Corky Kneivel
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold_OldSchool
There is a theory that the Goleta Murders are not EAR's doing... in the 1st murder the MALE was anally raped and then castrated.
WHOA!!! Where did you hear this? Was this from the other websites?

Quote:
All are not a part of EAR's MO...Some suspect that these were another perp attempted to emulate EAR in order to cover the crimes, and there is some evidence to suggest a mob involvement...this was not in the book, but from another website dealing with the EAR... I believe DNA links EAR to these murders...
I thought it was impossible to get DNA evdience from the Goleta crime scenes as all of that evidence has been destroyed.

I really am up in the air on the Goleta attacks. Enough is different in both the MO and signature of an offender who had a very unique combination of the two to give me pause for doubt. However, enough is similar in MO and signature (reportedly what the Goleta offender was saying to the couple that lived is quite similar to what EAR victims report hearing) that it can be noone else BUT him. I think looking at the time lime lines of the crimes is the a big clue. I just haven't made up my mind which way the clue points.

You know he'll never be identified don't you???
Corky Kneivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #50
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

Quote:
EAR didn't outright rape all of his victims, forwhatever reason he seemed to just kind of plunge his male protuberance into the girl and pull out almost right away sometimes.
I think we should all just be clear that this is still rape. He just didn't "finish."
nohwheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #51
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Kneivel
WHOA!!! Where did you hear this? Was this from the other websites?

I thought it was impossible to get DNA evdience from the Goleta crime scenes as all of that evidence has been destroyed.

I really am up in the air on the Goleta attacks. Enough is different in both the MO and signature of an offender who had a very unique combination of the two to give me pause for doubt. However, enough is similar in MO and signature (reportedly what the Goleta offender was saying to the couple that lived is quite similar to what EAR victims report hearing) that it can be noone else BUT him. I think looking at the time lime lines of the crimes is the a big clue. I just haven't made up my mind which way the clue points.

You know he'll never be identified don't you???
DNA linked EAR to ONS as of 1998 IIRC

As of 2010 there is still at least one detective cross checking "person's of interest" based on a list of inmates, sex offender's etc, he started with 4000 names and is down to 100's. Det. Larry Crompton believes EAR to be on the list and thinks this Detective may find him yet.

The rape and castration of the male is from the book as Det Crompton says it confirmed his and others beliefs that EAR had homosexual tendencies...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #52
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

Final book notes:

There was one final unconfirmed EAR attack in 1987 - the woman was attacked in bed by a perp with a log who fractured her skull but she lived...Nothing but the murder method and location links this to EAR.

In the 90's, the Sacramento Police threw away a lot of EAR notes and evidence - per their commanding officier's wishes. Larry Crompton personally saved a lot of it from the junk heap, including the only known (possible) hand print of EAR. When the Sacremento D.A. found out Det. Crompton took the files a few years later, he ordered them returned - Crompton did not comply, as everything but one sheet was a mere copy of the original.

The handprint is a photo copy and is nearly useless now in matching due to years of age and lack of ability to get a good copy made from it.

Det. Larry Pool who took charge of the EAR cold case in 98ish (and can be seen in E!'s EAR special, is actually the same cop who started the imfamous OJ white Bronco chase apparently after spotting OJ going to Nicole's grave site.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #53
Drakken
Forum Regular

Quote:
In the 90's, the Sacramento Police threw away a lot of EAR notes and evidence - per their commanding officier's wishes. Larry Crompton personally saved a lot of it from the junk heap, including the only known (possible) hand print of EAR. When the Sacremento D.A. found out Det. Crompton took the files a few years later, he ordered them returned - Crompton did not comply, as everything but one sheet was a mere copy of the original.

The handprint is a photo copy and is nearly useless now in matching due to years of age and lack of ability to get a good copy made from it.
Huh? Why?! As the case is still open and the investigation is still ongoing they would be exempt from scheduled destruction, but be preserved in police archives! There is no justification for destroying evidence and notes taken by previous investigators.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #54
Truth Sleuth
Someone, somewhere knows
Frequent Poster

I just finished the book today, and I have to say it wasn't what I was hoping for. But I give Larry Crompton a lot of slack because he's a police officer and not a writer. (Except for this book, of course.) Anyway, I have several points to make.

First off, it's really disturbing to me that this guy has never been identified. I'm not saying that to slight the police, just to say that it freaks me out that he could still be out there somewhere. And why did he stop? From what I've read of this type of offender, it's highly unlikely he was able to just stop. Is he dead? In prison? Or is he still active?

Second, as to the woman who took a shot at him... well, hindsight is always 20/20, and I can talk smart because I've never been in a situation like that, but would any jury really have convicted her of a serious crime? Heck, even if she'd have been fined, I imagine the cops would've offered to pay it themselves.

Third, I was surprised that the book barely mentions the Maggiorie (sp?) homicide, while the website strongly suggests it was the work of EAR/ONS. At the same time, however, the book goes into detail about the teenager who was apparently shot by EAR/ONS, even though it's in the "Possibly Related" list. But I'm sure Crompton has his reasons.

As to whether EAR/ONS would seem "normal" in everyday life, that's a good question. On the one hand you'd have to think someone with that much anger towards women would stick out. On the other hand, how else do you explain that from all of the tips that came in, he was never identified except that he didn't appear so disturbed to people who knew him?

One other thing - I read on one website that EAR/ONS was believed to have been at one of the public forums about him, because a man stood up and ridiculed the other men there for letting their wives be raped in their own homes like that... and not long after, that same man's wife became one of the victims. There is no mention of this in the book, does anyone know if that's true?
Truth Sleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #55
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Sleuth

One other thing - I read on one website that EAR/ONS was believed to have been at one of the public forums about him, because a man stood up and ridiculed the other men there for letting their wives be raped in their own homes like that... and not long after, that same man's wife became one of the victims. There is no mention of this in the book, does anyone know if that's true?
It was mentioned on E!'s special w/ Crompton for sure
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #56
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

Hey everybody,
Truecrimediary.com has an audio interview with the author/investigator Larry Crompton.

I have not read the book, but I thought it was a really interesting interview. She asked if he thought the crying and "mommy mommy!" stuff was real or a game, and he thought that it was a ruse: the EAR-ONS was totally in control and all of that stuff was planned.

He also talks about how once he targeted a victim, he compulsively followed through. He gave an example of how he targeted a victim at a particular house, got sidetracked and attacked a teenage girl who was babysitting at a house next door (she wouldn't normally be around), but then went back and attacked the original intended victim.

Crompton also said that he is "very very optimistic" that this case will be solved. Woah. Obviously, he knows some stuff about the current investigation that we don't, and he thinks that they are getting very close.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #57
Truth Sleuth
Someone, somewhere knows
Frequent Poster

I sure hope they're on the verge of capturing him. It just bothers me that he's never been caught.
Truth Sleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #58
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #59
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
One case had a woman see a masked man walking/prowling while she is stopped at a intersection at like 2 am. She looks one way to check for traffic, when she turns back EAR is TAPPING ON HER CAR WINDOW WITH A KNIFE! She roared off and EAR gave chase briefly w/ a bike.
That just taught me a lesson about looking on here while procrastinating!!!! Tapping on the window is one thing but chasing her down on a bike?! Holy moly, I would have had a heart attack! These composites are also terrifying.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #60
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

Thanks a lot for those composite sketches, Arnold OldSchool. I will have nightmares tonight.

It's amazing how different they all look. WHO THE HECK IS THIS GUY?