Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #46
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyte
How can a shotgun go off at someone's chest in the process of a disarming, and at the person who was originally had the shotgun?
Easy. If Rae Ann is out there threatening to kill herself (with the muzzle pointed towards her), whoever attempted to disarm her would have had the trigger towards them. Remember Rae Ann was allegedly in a state of hysteria since she and her boyfriend had just broken up. Why do you continue to blame the police departments in just about every case? You don't think they've exhausted every single lead in this case, had forensic experts out on the scene (who supported the suicide theory), also investigated the boyfriend and the witnesses, yet all of this was "lazy"? Why have there been no leads in the case since then? Maybe because it was solved correctly back when it was originally investigated.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #47
justins5256

Quote:
Also, I think its quite telling how that PD never went investigate the relationships of those 3 witnesses to the boyfriend. They're just about as lazy as the PD that "investigated" the Keith Warren case. Chances are they were 3 buddies that were over at his house and willing to tell a little fib for their bro to save his ass. After all, you can't snitch on a friend right?
or, the PD did investigate these witnesses and found they had no relationship with the boyfriend or Rae Ann. Doesn't really say anywhere in the segment, does it?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #48
Kyte
The Greatest
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Easy. If Rae Ann is out there threatening to kill herself (with the muzzle pointed towards her), whoever attempted to disarm her would have had the trigger towards them. Remember Rae Ann was allegedly in a state of hysteria since she and her boyfriend had just broken up. Why do you continue to blame the police departments in just about every case? You don't think they've exhausted every single lead in this case, had forensic experts out on the scene (who supported the suicide theory), also investigated the boyfriend and the witnesses, yet all of this was "lazy"? Why have there been no leads in the case since then? Maybe because it was solved correctly back when it was originally investigated.
Why are you saying "maybe because it was solved correctly back when it was originally investigated" when the case wasn't even investigated? In the police's eyes, it was a suicide through and through and they closed the case right then and there. At least they could have had the decency to tell Rae Ann's mother that they weren't going to do an autopsy instead of putting it off for half a year after she died and finally doing one only at the insistence of her mother.

And the only forensic person that supported the suicide theory was the pathologist that refused to do an initial autopsy and basically told Rae Ann's mother to **** off each and every time she told him to properly do his job. He also refused to be interviewed by UM.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #49
MyrtleBeachLover
Occasional Poster

I knew Rae Ann personally. I went to HS with her and we were good friends through HS and for a while afterwards. I lost touch with her after I was married.

I can say with 99% certainty that Rae Ann did not kill herself! Knowing her like I did, she would have killed him before she killed herself. She was one tough cookie and didn't take crap off anyone.

And yes, RPD was incompetent and still are incompetent now. I know from several personal experiences. I read a lot of the sleuthing websites and I can tell you from the cases I've read and this case (and of my own experiences), I can tell you LE does not do as thorough an investigation unless the person is prominent and/or has money, or unless the case is so bizarre/intriguing that it makes national news.
MyrtleBeachLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #50
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachLover
I knew Rae Ann personally. I went to HS with her and we were good friends through HS and for a while afterwards. I lost touch with her after I was married.

I can say with 99% certainty that Rae Ann did not kill herself! Knowing her like I did, she would have killed him before she killed herself. She was one tough cookie and didn't take crap off anyone.

And yes, RPD was incompetent and still are incompetent now. I know from several personal experiences. I read a lot of the sleuthing websites and I can tell you from the cases I've read and this case (and of my own experiences), I can tell you LE does not do as thorough an investigation unless the person is prominent and/or has money, or unless the case is so bizarre/intriguing that it makes national news.
thanks for posting! I live only an hour or two from Roanoke myself, although I am not familiar with the authorities there and din't want to point individual fingers. But I do agree with you that people need to wake up to the reality that law enforcement in this country can be very lazy and corrupt.

I don't suppose you happened to know Rae Ann's b/f as well did you? And if so would you have thought he'd be involved?
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #51
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
My gut feeling always was that this was a suicide. I feel this way because we have witness testimony that she apparently threatened the act, and then did it with a gun that very likely belonged to her - UM didn't specify where the gun came from but I assume that if it's owner couldn't be identified with certainty, that would be yet another nail in the coffin for the murder theory and it would have been raised on the segment; not unlike Tony Lombardi and why I feel it's safe to assume that the gun belonged to him - or at least belonged in the house.

Also, like Dante said, if we accept the witness testimony at face value, then there basically had to be an unknown party lurking around out there, with no known motive, who just happened to strike in close proximity to witnesses, at a time she was already threatening suicide, and somehow remain undetected. Seems pretty far-fetched.

HOWEVER, there was another thread on this case some time ago and Todd Mueller(?) posted on it and made a good point - we have three experts hired by the family who said she couldn't have pulled the trigger herself. If it's physically impossible for her to hold the gun in such a manner as to inflict the wounds that she had, it has to be a murder, or at least "undetermined" until proven otherwise.

As others have raised, I wonder just how credible the boyfriend and the other witnesses were who allegedly heard her make these statements really were. UM didn't touch on it in any depth. If these people were close to her at the time she allegedly shot herself, they would be key to determining what actually happened.

I wonder if the parents suspect the boyfriend or witnesses but just don't have the evidence to say so and that's why this was seemingly avoided like the plague on the UM segment.
I find this segment frustrating, as it's focused entirely on the mechanics of the shooting and not the full crime. The parents' have presented sufficient information, in my mind, to question the ruling of suicide. There are several questions left unanswered that are, in my mind, critical to the case:

1. Whose gun was it?
2. Who were the witnesses?

If it's not suicide, then the only witnesses must, by rights, be the only suspects, which renders their testimony questionable, at the least.

However, whether or not Rae Ann's death was deliberate or accidental is wholly unknown given the non-existence of any information presented. If the gun was Rae Ann's, I could believe she had a breakdown, was waiving the gun around, and it was discharged in a struggle; if not, that's still possible, of course, but less likely, since it means someone else was brandishing a weapon at Rae Ann.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #52
MyrtleBeachLover
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur
thanks for posting! I live only an hour or two from Roanoke myself, although I am not familiar with the authorities there and din't want to point individual fingers. But I do agree with you that people need to wake up to the reality that law enforcement in this country can be very lazy and corrupt.

I don't suppose you happened to know Rae Ann's b/f as well did you? And if so would you have thought he'd be involved?
XCalibur - I didn't know her boyfriend. I had not met him, but heard that she had a man in her life.

It's hard for me to come right out and say he did it, because I wasn't there and didn't witness what happened. All I know is that knowing her like I did, I truly believe she would have done him in instead of suicide. Rae Ann was a very strong and determined person. She didn't take crapola off of anyone, and I guess some could say they were probably scared of her.

There was a person who did me wrong in high school - broke into my locker and stole a bunch of personal notes. Why this person did that, I will never know. I didn't know this person and we weren't friends. This person was a couple years younger than I was. Anyway, Rae Ann found out who did it...retreived the notes...and then proceeded to beat the snot out of this person. Rae Ann had no stake in those notes - but I did.

She was a tough cookie and not one to let someone run her over or to let emotions get to her. She would have beat him...broken his things...wrecked his car...shot him...but I seriously doubt she would have killed herself over him.
MyrtleBeachLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #53
Kyte
The Greatest
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachLover
XCalibur - I didn't know her boyfriend. I had not met him, but heard that she had a man in her life.

It's hard for me to come right out and say he did it, because I wasn't there and didn't witness what happened. All I know is that knowing her like I did, I truly believe she would have done him in instead of suicide. Rae Ann was a very strong and determined person. She didn't take crapola off of anyone, and I guess some could say they were probably scared of her.

There was a person who did me wrong in high school - broke into my locker and stole a bunch of personal notes. Why this person did that, I will never know. I didn't know this person and we weren't friends. This person was a couple years younger than I was. Anyway, Rae Ann found out who did it...retreived the notes...and then proceeded to beat the snot out of this person. Rae Ann had no stake in those notes - but I did.

She was a tough cookie and not one to let someone run her over or to let emotions get to her. She would have beat him...broken his things...wrecked his car...shot him...but I seriously doubt she would have killed herself over him.

Thanks for the post MBL. This is exactly what I have been thinking all along.

But seriously though. How many people have actually committed suicide over their boyfriends? The fact that so many people here think Rae Ann killed herself just pisses me off.
Kyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #54
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the post MBL. This is exactly what I have been thinking all along.

But seriously though. How many people have actually committed suicide over their boyfriends? The fact that so many people here think Rae Ann killed herself just pisses me off.
I am inclined to agree. As I've said, the whole business with her saying "What do I have to to prove I love you kill myself", sounds way to Days of Our Lives to me. Sounds far more like something an arrogant punk would make up to make himself look like God's gift to women and to get out of prison time to boot.

I'm not saying its impossible, I know all to well the loss of a companion can be extremely difficult and make you say crazy things. But actually goin through with it is more rare.

I don't think this was a premeditated murder, or if it was it was the dumbest one ever. But suicide doesn't make sense either.

In my opinion, the only thing that makes sense in this case is a struggle over the shotgun between two people and an accidental discharge. I see no way Rae Ann did it by herself either accidentally or on purpose, the tests on the shotgun did a pretty good job of proving that.

Such a thing could carry three to five years in prison for manslaughter, easily enough hard time for someone to want to avoid and cover something up and stage a hasty suicide scene.

Anyone who thinks there is not a LOT of law enforcement in this country that is lazy and corrupt is burying their head in the sand.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #55
88keys
Forum Regular

Did they ever say what caliber of shotgun it was? Also, did they say (based on the powder burns) if the gun was touching her chest or slightly away from it?

Quote:
How can a shotgun go off at someone's chest in the process of a disarming, and at the person who was originally had the shotgun?
What if she was holding it sideways? Like she had her right hand on the stock, and left hand holding the barrel? Boyfriend jerks on the gun, trying to take it from her. The stock comes out of her right hand, but she still has a hold of the barrel. Boyfriend jerks again, maybe accidentally hitting the trigger, and the gun goes off, pointed towards Rae Ann. It would explain the powder burns on her left hand.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #56
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

I believe they said the tests show the gun was pressed into her chest
Arnold_OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #57
amandab1234
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
I just listened to this story in my car today (yes I drive to audio recordings of UM...) and did I miss something? Was the boyfriend tested for gun powder residue?

Still confused about whose gun it was.

I have doubts about the suicide due to the bullet trajectory but there isn't enough evidence to charge anyone or rule it a homicide...so I agree with Kadrmas, the only thing that makes sense is undetermined.
Lol are u serious about listening to audio recordings? Cause I listen to them at work!
amandab1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #58
Apostapler
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandab1234
Lol are u serious about listening to audio recordings? Cause I listen to them at work!
I'm listening to Katelynn Arquette's story on my MP3 player at work as we speak (slow night).
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #59
buckeyeblogger
Frequent Poster

Default Allow me to posit a theory...

She was supposedly killed while sitting on the edge of a car, correct?
What if she leaned the rifle against the side of the car and positioned her chest over the muzzle and pulled the trigger with her toe?

It would explain the powder burns on her hand because she was holding the barrel/muzzle at her chest so she could shoot herself in the heart. Also, I read long ago that young women tend to commit suicide by firearm by shooting themselves in the CHEST, not the HEAD. This would be consistent with that common belief. They do this out of vanity.

Just a thought.
buckeyeblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #60
WishfulDreamer

I'm sorry, but that just reminds me of the Dirshell (spelling?) case where they said that he pulled the trigger with his toe; I personally think pulling the trigger with your toe sounds silly and also extremely difficult to do with shoes on.

I think your vanity theory is a possibility though, but at the same time, if the pain of a shot gun would be horrendous and it might not kill your right away. I would think one would try to aim at an immediately fatal position to avoid any pain, even with vanity desires.

I still think this was not a suicide.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote