Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 26, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #31
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Mastermind, since it's late, I don't have time to go over each point, but I can say that Robert Stack said the Sheriff was contacted and he declined to appear on the segment. I don't know about Mary, but you can bet your house that she was also contacted. And since she didn't appear, I think it's fair to say she declined. I would doubt very seriously that she was cut out of the segment due to time constraints. That would be like cutting Zodiac out of a segment if he was ever discovered.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #32
burbqueen
Master of My Domain
Frequent Poster

I still wonder if the letters shown while Paul was in jail
was a um recreation or what. Either way I have always suspected either Paul or his wife. The whole booby trap box and pauls gun clearly means someone close to Paul or someone who had access to his gun. As for the husband that died, I dunno. I wonder if there was a witness? I do think he was killed. What was the cause if death again?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #33
Hambone2421

This is one of the top 5 strangest cases I have ever seen. I have gone back and forth on this case and have thought several different things, but ultimately I believe Paul Freshhour did write the letters, perhaps with some help. I think the fact that the letters continued while he was in prison can easily be explained.

First of all, lets remember that Mary claims that it was Paul's own wife who told her that he was the letter writer. To me, it would seem doubtful that she would help him during this ordeal.

Secondly, if Paul was the letter writer, he had to have an accomplice. I say this for 2 reasons. 1. The letters kept coming while he was in prison. He could have written more letters during trial and given them to his accomplice to mail our sporadically while he was in prison so that police think he is innocent and end up releasing him. 2. When Mary's husband stormed out of the house the night he died, he told one of his children that he knew who the letter was and was going to confront him. Seems like if it were Paul on the phone with him, he would have told his kid, "Its Uncle Paul!, tell your Mom hen she gets home". This was way before cell phones so its not like he could have called his wife. Now I have no idea whether or not anyone killed Mary's husband or if he just simply died in the car wreck.

All together, I think Paul wrote the letters. At first it was just to Mary and her family. Once he went to prison, the letters started going to residents all over Circleville. I believe Paul wrote these letters before or during the trial and gave them to his accomplice to mail out while he was in prison. I believe that he wrote to many people so that he would have a better chance of those people calling the police to say they had received letters rather than just Mary's family calling. He may have figured that if alot of people call saying I'm getting these letters, the police would have no choice but to think that maybe someone else did it. My on,y question is, who could his accomplice be? Most would think his wife, but shes the one who fingered Paul to Mary. Why would she then go back and help him?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #34
Hambone2421

Exactly!

Last edited by Hambone2421; 01-26-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #35
Hambone2421

bump

Last edited by Hambone2421; 01-26-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #36
Hambone2421

Remember the beginning of this segment when Robert Stack read the note that the Circleville writer sent it warning UM not to air the show? Has anyone ever wondered how that person found out about the segment on the show? I wonder if this was just another one of Paul Freshhour's games, since he did know about the segment since he participated in it.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #37
truthbtold
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to truthbtold
Red face

This case drives me mad. I cannot believe that the person actually sent a letter directly to UM. There must be new info on this case by now. There has to be some DNA evidence (a hair or something) that can be used today to crack this case. Has anyone heard anything new about this?
truthbtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #38
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbtold
This case drives me mad. I cannot believe that the person actually sent a letter directly to UM. There must be new info on this case by now. There has to be some DNA evidence (a hair or something) that can be used today to crack this case. Has anyone heard anything new about this?
I highly doubt there is anything new on this case and I doubt that there is any DNA left. I mean, we are talking about something that happened almost 30 years ago. Ultimately though, I believe Freshour did write the letters. The letter that was written to UM "threatening" them had to have been written by someone who knew about the segment appearing on the show.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #39
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I highly doubt there is anything new on this case and I doubt that there is any DNA left. I mean, we are talking about something that happened almost 30 years ago. Ultimately though, I believe Freshour did write the letters. The letter that was written to UM "threatening" them had to have been written by someone who knew about the segment appearing on the show.
I don't know. It could have been anyone who lived in or near Circleville who knew about the taping which was probably done several months before the episode first aired. Circleville sure seemed like a small town. I think bigshot LA television people rolling in to do a story on Circleville would have been a big thing that a lot of people would have known about aside from Paul Freshour and those who appeared in the segment. Just my $0.02.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #40
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I don't know. It could have been anyone who lived in or near Circleville who knew about the taping which was probably done several months before the episode first aired. Circleville sure seemed like a small town. I think bigshot LA television people rolling in to do a story on Circleville would have been a big thing that a lot of people would have known about aside from Paul Freshour and those who appeared in the segment. Just my $0.02.
I thought Stack had said they received the letter before filming began? If so, then that means they received it before they went to Circleville. If they received the letter during or after filming, then your right, it could have been anyone.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #41
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I thought Stack had said they received the letter before filming began? If so, then that means they received it before they went to Circleville. If they received the letter during or after filming, then your right, it could have been anyone.
I don't remember, I'll have to watch it again to be sure. Although, now that you mention it, I think the letter did say something like "stay out of Circleville, Ohio". which may imply they hadn't arrived yet, so you may be correct.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #42
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

How about the possibility of it being the superintendant's children? Permitting he had some. Another good motive
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #43
Priddo
Occasional Poster

From the UM segment, I came to theconclusion it wasn't Paul. There's just too much he would have had to do, secretly, for it to be him.

His wife tell Mary it was him? Well weren't they broken up or breaking up at the time? She was probably just being a bitch about it.

How come this suspect who's brother had the car that was seen was not talked about more? Clearly it was someone with access to such a car who did it, it's not rocket science. That right there clears Paul of at least ebing the 'only' one involved in this whole thing, since the appearance didn't match him, and the car was not his.... Even though his gun was used, it looks pretty obvious he didn't put it there.

i suspect that the sheriff was in on it. His work was so ridiculously dodgy, and his change in heart over Ron's death was insane. Didn't his kids say he hadn't been drinking, and didn't seem drunk at all when he left? Yet supposedly he has somehigh blood alc level... But wait that doesn't come out until the change of heart from the Sheriff... How shifty is that whole thing? What about the fact he declined to be interviewed in any form, or how the letter to UM mentions 'do not harm Sheriff Ratcliffe'.

I don't know what his motive was, maybe he had the hots for Mary and was jealous, or she burned him once and this was his revenge.

And yes, there is no way in hell this affair started after the letters... Does she honestly think anyone would believe that?
Priddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #44
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddo
And yes, there is no way in hell this affair started after the letters... Does she honestly think anyone would believe that?
Yes that was ridiculous. Would an innocent person of extramarital affairs start having an affair AFTER the accusations come out? No. A pathetic attempt to justify herself. But then again she had an indirect hand in putting her husband 6 feet under. So what can you expect?

Also, while Paul was in jail the letters continued. This can cause you to think that the killer is still out there. This is a strong possibility. However, does anyone remember the movie Scream? I hate to use a fictional horror movie to prove a point, but in that movie we all remember someone being in prison while the killer was seemingly on the outside creating havoc, making the person behind bars look innocent. Is it possible that this is similar with Paul? Could a partner/his wife be on the outside doing this stuff in order to free him?
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #45
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
Yes that was ridiculous. Would an innocent person of extramarital affairs start having an affair AFTER the accusations come out? No. A pathetic attempt to justify herself. But then again she had an indirect hand in putting her husband 6 feet under. So what can you expect?

Also, while Paul was in jail the letters continued. This can cause you to think that the killer is still out there. This is a strong possibility. However, does anyone remember the movie Scream? I hate to use a fictional horror movie to prove a point, but in that movie we all remember someone being in prison while the killer was seemingly on the outside creating havoc, making the person behind bars look innocent. Is it possible that this is similar with Paul? Could a partner/his wife be on the outside doing this stuff in order to free him?
You make an interesting point but as I have pointed out before (as I believe Paul Freshhour to be guilty), he could have written several letters before he went to prison, then had a friend or an accomplice drive all over the state and mail them from different spots to make it look like the writer is still out there.