Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #91
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by melskie007
You mentioned a convention? what sort of convention? I always thought either amy was killed that night by an unknown person or joined the church in some type of cult. I read on a organization that during the time of the 70's concealed peoples identities with new ones, also they wouldnt allow anyone to receive blood transfusions and major organ operations as it was against thier religion in that time. Many people died because of this as the hospital was not allowed to save them without their approval of these external organs or blood..I wonder...
Jehovah's Witnesses don't permit blood transfusions. I'm not sure about their beliefs on surgery and organ transplants.

IMO, it's just a coincidence that it was a Jehovah's Witness convention that was going on in OK when Paul Branch told Sue Billig that Amy was being held in that state by fellow bikers.

The bikers were travelling all over the country for their "conventions" too. There was a big gathering of a bunch of different biker gangs in OK at the same time of the church convention. I think it had something to do with the 1976 bicentennial fourth of july.

IMO, Paul Branch wanted to go to this gathering but his bike wasn't running well. IIRC, Sue Billig paid for his bike to be fixed. He was going to drive up to OK to get Amy from the biker acquaintance who had her, Dishrag Harry, then call Sue to come pick her up. Sue flew to OK to wait for him. He ended up going to visit his sick granny, then got put in jail for 5 days. When he finally showed up in OK one night, he didn't have a place to stay, and that's how he ended up in the honeymoon suite at Sue's hotel with her footing the bill.

But that's pretty much all the book has to say about conventions. Hippies were gathering informally for the festivals and love ins around the state and country. Bikers were driving all over the state and country for their regular gatherings. The only time a religious convention was mentioned was the 1976 Jehovah's Witness thing in OK.

IMO, Amy didn't leave voluntarily, either to go with the bikers or to join a cult. She had a lunch meeting with her friends the day she disappeared. She called her dad to see if she could stop by and get a few dollars from him to pay for her meal. She was hitchhiking to her dad's work to get the money when she vanished.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #92
melskie007
Debate/laugh/Debate
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
Jehovah's Witnesses don't permit blood transfusions. I'm not sure about their beliefs on surgery and organ transplants.

IMO, it's just a coincidence that it was a Jehovah's Witness convention that was going on in OK when Paul Branch told Sue Billig that Amy was being held in that state by fellow bikers.

The bikers were travelling all over the country for their "conventions" too. There was a big gathering of a bunch of different biker gangs in OK at the same time of the church convention. I think it had something to do with the 1976 bicentennial fourth of july.

IMO, Paul Branch wanted to go to this gathering but his bike wasn't running well. IIRC, Sue Billig paid for his bike to be fixed. He was going to drive up to OK to get Amy from the biker acquaintance who had her, Dishrag Harry, then call Sue to come pick her up. Sue flew to OK to wait for him. He ended up going to visit his sick granny, then got put in jail for 5 days. When he finally showed up in OK one night, he didn't have a place to stay, and that's how he ended up in the honeymoon suite at Sue's hotel with her footing the bill.

But that's pretty much all the book has to say about conventions. Hippies were gathering informally for the festivals and love ins around the state and country. Bikers were driving all over the state and country for their regular gatherings. The only time a religious convention was mentioned was the 1976 Jehovah's Witness thing in OK.
i had looked them up and found they were recruiting ppl into the church and holding mini meetings in that time frame. It makes me wonder about my theory...
melskie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #93
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
"Dave" was Paul Branch, the guy I've been calling "Paul the biker" in my posts.

I doubt he was any kind of law enforcement. He told Mrs. Billig that her daughter was in OK. She flew there ahead of him and got a hotel room. He was about a week late to their meeting, and for some reason, having obtained a van instead of his motorcycle. He had some kind of problems with his motel room, and had Sue pay for him to stay one night in the Honeymoon suite of her hotel, which was the only room available in the area at the time, due to a big convention.

At the end of his life, he was covered with skin cancer, nearly toothless, one of his eyes had the tendons removed, was so damaged that he couldn't open it without using his fingers and he eventually went blind in that eye.

When he died, he was near destitute, living in his girlfriend's trailer in the backwoods of VA. He met his girlfriend, through another inmate, while he was in prison. He lived with her for 10 years before his death. She was the woman who told the "gang rape and alligator" story for the british production company who she says paid her $200 for her tale.

Edited to make a correction re: the van and motorcycle.
Okay wait a minute here I must have missed something. Your saying it was Dave the biker that had her meet him in Oklahoma that made the death bed confession???
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #94
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
Okay wait a minute here I must have missed something. Your saying it was Dave the biker that had her meet him in Oklahoma that made the death bed confession???
Yep, from what I can tell from the book and the segment, Dave is Paul Branch. He's the biker guy who Sue Billig had the most contact with.

About 18 months after Amy went missing, he called the Billigs and said he'd just gotten out of jail and was reading old newspapers (to see who among his friends had been arrested while he was locked up) when he came across the story about Amy being missing and possibly taken by a biker gang.

He told her that he had once owned Amy and that when he had to do a stint in prison, he gave his motorcycle and Amy to Dishrag Harry for safekeeping until he got out of jail.

Then all the other stuff happened... he took Sue for a ride on his motorcycle to go to his place where he said that Amy liked Joni Mitchell music, was skinny, and liked to read. He convinced Sue that he knew Amy.

I think it was several months later when he told Sue that he'd traced Amy and Dishrag Harry to Oklahoma and he needed some help fixing his bike so he could drive up there and look around for Amy. Sue met him there. She was convinced that this guy had Amy in OK, that Paul had the means to get her back from him, and that she'd be flying back home to FL with Amy in just a few days.

Years later is when the supposed confession took place and as far as I know, Paul Branch never made any such confession about Amy being gang raped and fed to alligators.

A cop, Jack Calvar, had traced Paul Branch to VA. He interviewed him for two hours. Branch never said anything to the cop about Amy being raped and murdered. His story was that Amy had been kidnapped by other bikers and he met her at a biker party, where she was being mistreated. He claims he took her home to Orlando where they lived together harmoniously until he had to go back to jail.

Paul Branch died about two months after the interview. Months after his death, some british tv producers were trying to track him down so they could do a piece on Amy's case. They found Paul's widow/girlfriend.

It was the widow/girlfriend who claimed that Paul had made a deathbed confession. The tv producers flew Sue Billig to VA so they could film Paul's girlfriend breaking the news directly to Amy's mom, with cameras rolling and everything. This is quoted from the book:

She said Amy and a girlfriend showed up at a Pagan's biker bar in Miami, where "the drunker she got, the more drugs she did, the mouthier she got with this fella. He got very upset and started knocking her around."

"He started passing her around to these different guys [that evening]. The more she would be with these fellas, the madder she was getting. And the mouthier she was getting, the more she was getting knocked around. Basically, what I was told really killed her was an overdose, she was doing drugs on her own free will before, and it was just a party and everything was fine until she started mouthing off."

"He didn't tell me directly what happened to her body, but he did make mention many times of how it was so uncivilized in Virginia, because they didn't have anywhere to hide the body, in other words they used alligators in the swamp."

That's it. I think the woman made the whole thing up. She says she was paid for making her statement on camera and that she used that $200 toward Paul Branch's funeral. What she claimed was Paul's deathbed confession didn't really confess anything.

She later wrote to Sue Billig and said that she wished she'd spoken only with her and not with cameras involved. She accused the production company of putting her in danger because they promised to keep her identity a secret, but they filmed her openly and, apparently, aired the program with her identity revealed. I haven't seen the program, but IMO, the woman probably agreed to be filmed and then realized, too late, that blabbing about biker gangs on tv might be a dangerous thing to do.

Another quote from the book (this is all in chapter 25):

The party story holds about as much water as your standard sieve. It was obvious that this story was put together by someone who did not know the details of Susan's adventures.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #95
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane7474
I was reading up on the outlaws biker gang today and it came as no suprise that the FBI had put undercover agents into the group.
The book touched on this. It said that in the roughest gangs new bikers "apprenticed" for a year, then had to commit a big crime, usually murder, to be a full fledged member.

Because they required such a serious crime to qualify for membership, it made it hard for law enforcement to plant guys in the gangs.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #96
burbqueen
Master of My Domain
Frequent Poster

u know i never believed the biker theory until I watched gangland on the History channel. I had no clue about how bad the outlaw biker gangs were and still are. I think some biker killed her.

As for the Jehovah Witness thing. That is waaaay off base. JW are not a cult squirrelling away people. I use to be a JW and many, many people you live next to and work with are JW. They are no different that any other christian religion. There is a convention once a year for 2 or 3 days and they go to church about 2 days a week with a bible study once a week.

As a JW you can stop being a witness anytime you wish and you still can talk to your family.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #97
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

For those who don't have Sue Billig's book, this is how the biker angle of the story got started.

Amy went missing on March 5, 1974. During the search for her, many friends went to stay at the Billig's house, 24/7 to help take calls, among other things. One of their friends was Toby.

On March 16, 1974, Toby answered the phone at the Billig's house. The caller identified herself as Susan Johnson and said that she was using an alias because she was afraid.

She stated that she had seen Sue Billig in the Grove with Amy's missing poster.

"A friend of mine went up to Daytona, where they had the motorcycle races last week. And a motorcycle gang was there. Now... they have her! They picked her up hitchhiking and she's being held against her will..."

What I want to know is if this woman saw Amy's picture on a missing poster, how did her friend up in Daytona identify her as Amy? Apparently, the friend had never seen a photo of Amy.

Toby asked if she was sure about her facts and she swore on her daughter's life and said she was 100% positive. She said that the motorcycle gang involved was the Outlaws. He asked her to call the investigator that the Billigs were working with, Mike Gonzalez. She placed a call to him and was worried about it being traced. From the book:

Gonzalez: "She wasn't able to tell me any more [information than she'd already told Toby]. Still, she sounds sincere, and like she believes it - in her present state of mind, anyway. While it's vague, she promises to go back to her friend and get some more information. They're supposed to be camped around Titusville..."

The caller: "The two girls [the caller had said Amy was being held with another female victim] are being held for white slavery and he [her friend from Daytona?] recognized the picture of Amy as being one of the girls."

The book never says how or when the caller's friend saw a photo of Amy so he could correctly identify her. As far as I'm concerned, this is bad 2nd hand information. The caller's friend, in another city, saw Amy with a motorcycle gang being held for white slavery. How do the caller and the friend know that "white slavery" is involved? Maybe the girls were just kidnap victims. Maybe they're just belligerent biker chicks.

Amy's camera was found along the side of the road (just north of Orlando) that a group of bikers would have used travelling from Daytona. The book calls this their "first real evidence" to a biker connection. The camera was found along the southbound side of the road, but police believe the bikers were heading northbound. The book doesn't address that part of the issue any further.

Considering how many people travelling in and through FL drive on the Florida turnpike, I don't consider finding her camera to be proof that a biker gang had Amy. Any abductor could have driven on that highway and tossed Amy's camera out the window to get rid of it. Her name was on the camera so it would be in the best interest of a criminal to discard any items bearing Amy's name.

The Billigs wanted to get the film in Amy's camera developed to see if there were any clues in the pictures. This is what the book says about that part:

No one with a car was available except one teenager from out of town, the brother of a friend. The only lab that could develop the slide film that afternoon was several miles away. On the way to the shop, the teenager was stopped by an officer for making an illegal left-hand turn. The boy, driving with an out of state license, was arrested. He called Sue an hour later, from jail.

Sue called a bail bondsman to spring the kid from jail. The bondsman, Joe Klein, listened to the story and informed Sue that he was the bondsman for the Outlaws. He vowed to get a couple of bikers to pay Sue a visit the next evening.

That's it folks. The bondsman sent some bikers to the Billig home. They took Amy's picture with them and said they'd check with Outlaws and Pagans to see if anyone recognized her. The whole biker thing snowballed from there.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #98
Carbon Tiger
Occasional Poster

Quote:
That's it folks. The bondsman sent some bikers to the Billig home. They took Amy's picture with them and said they'd check with Outlaws and Pagans to see if anyone recognized her. The whole biker thing snowballed from there.
I'm starting to wonder if the whole biker thing even has any meaning. It's all second hand information from people who knew a guy who knew a guy or heard this rumor or that rumor. It's never anyone directly involved or anyone with solid concrete proof.

Then you get into bikers using this to get free cash, made up UK stories and other nonsense it makes me wonder if she wasn't just picked up by some random nut, biker or not.
Carbon Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #99
melskie007
Debate/laugh/Debate
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbqueen
u know i never believed the biker theory until I watched gangland on the History channel. I had no clue about how bad the outlaw biker gangs were and still are. I think some biker killed her.

As for the Jehovah Witness thing. That is waaaay off base. JW are not a cult squirrelling away people. I use to be a JW and many, many people you live next to and work with are JW. They are no different that any other christian religion. There is a convention once a year for 2 or 3 days and they go to church about 2 days a week with a bible study once a week.

As a JW you can stop being a witness anytime you wish and you still can talk to your family.
i am referring to 74'. and my mother is jehovah so i know how it is but this is not based on today's standards. Many have come forward and have testified this was happening. They were abducting people into their group and yes back then it was different. Read up on it more. I think this is a possibility, not a fact but rather a possible scenerio that never was looked at.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #100
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Tiger
I'm starting to wonder if the whole biker thing even has any meaning. It's all second hand information from people who knew a guy who knew a guy or heard this rumor or that rumor. It's never anyone directly involved or anyone with solid concrete proof.

Then you get into bikers using this to get free cash, made up UK stories and other nonsense it makes me wonder if she wasn't just picked up by some random nut, biker or not.
I'm starting to wonder the same thing. The more I study it closely and break down each chapter to it's basic details, the biker connection is looking very weak.

It's sorta looking like hitchhiking is the only real clue to what happened and it broadens the possibilities rather than narrowing the search down to a specific group of suspects.

For the folks who think that Hank Blair is involved, there could be a clue to advance your theories. IIRC someone posted that Blair had a white pickup truck. When the film in Amy's camera was developed, there were only 4 pictures. Three of them were useless but one had white pickup truck in it.

I got the impression that the truck wasn't the subject of the photo, but was in the background. But, imo and with this being hot sunny florida, there were probably a lot of white vehicles around. I wonder if there's any way to find out what make and model Blair owned at the time and what make and model was seen in Amy's photo.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #101
melskie007
Debate/laugh/Debate
Frequent Poster

Default hmm

The more I think about it, the more i think she was abducted by a random person or left on her own free will...Hank wouldnt have cared about harrassing sue for so long unless amy turned him down or he never got a chance to be with amy and the only way he knows to deal with this is harass the relative closest to her since you cant harass the real person! The other mess is the bikers in this equation. I do think that if they had amy, one of them would have mentioned the aligator story long ago, especially because their biker buddy was telling sue he had amy and owned her so why not just end the search long ago and say well someone fed her to the aligators but we dont know which biker did it! This story was made up so his gf could get the money. we all rule out the post office agent! So whats left? amy was abducted by a random person perhaps..so who would have been a rapist or pedafile of that time period? Perhaps we should be looking for these types that lived close by her home? She was wearing a skirt so whoever done this crime was attracted to a young girl wearing a skirt. This weighs more on transient types or rapist/pedifiles. who were the neiboors as well in this equation? I want to know who lived in the nieboorhood? anyone suspicious?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #102
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

She was known to hitchhike regularly. I suppose that someone who knew her well, or just knew her from giving her a few rides could have planned to take her the next time he saw her hitching a ride.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #103
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Seems to me like people knew Sue Billig was willing to pay money to find Amy, so they would just give false information in hopes of making some quick cash. I know it sounds pretty pathetic, but there's never someone who had any direct ties to Amy. It's just someone who knew a friend of someone. I've never bought into the abduction by biker theory, and since she was last seen hitchiking wouldn't it be more logical to get into a car rather than on the back of a motorcycle? I think she was picked up by sick murderer, and that this was just a random act of violence.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #104
ms_bates
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I've never bought into the abduction by biker theory, and since she was last seen hitchiking wouldn't it be more logical to get into a car rather than on the back of a motorcycle? I think she was picked up by sick murderer, and that this was just a random act of violence.
It would seem that it would be quite difficult to abduct someone while on a motorcycle. I mean, you're going to keep the bike upright and going in a straight line while holding a struggling person? We're not talking about a child, either. Amy was fully grown. In the book, it was mentioned that several of the gang members drove vans at times, but since this was "bike week" you'd think they'd all be on their motorcycles.

I'd like to know more about the route Amy took from her home headed to her dad's business. Was it mostly residential? a quaint little downtown area? Of course, bad people can pop up anywhere, but depending on the surroundings, it could point to someone more local and familiar with the area.
ms_bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #105
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_bates
It would seem that it would be quite difficult to abduct someone while on a motorcycle. I mean, you're going to keep the bike upright and going in a straight line while holding a struggling person?
Exactly. There was a UM segment (the one about the female police sketch artist who was raped and she used her experience to help others) that featured two brothers that got abducted at gunpoint and were taken in a van and they jumped from the van at 70 mph. How hard would it have been for Amy to jump off the bike if she were in fear for her life?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote