Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #31
Lex Luthor
I'm bringing Lexy back

Wink Stop picking on me

You wanna fight ????

You want some ... come get some

:cannon
Old 06-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #32
combsisthebest
Forum Regular

Okay, here's what I'm going to do. The maximum number of "points" you can have is 40. After that you will be a well established trader, and your number will appear 40+. I'm also automatically going to put people who have been a member at SO for 2 or more years in a veteran category. It's clear to me that people who have been here that long aren't going to be scammers.
Turn it Around
Open the Windows of Heaven
Pour out a Blessing We Cannot Contain
Let it rain!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #33
Lex Luthor
I'm bringing Lexy back

Wow this is fun

Jen you never should have showed me that gun, now I found new toys here.

BTW - All

I have caught up on my trades and I am experiencing serious trading withdraw (2 days of no burning)

Someone help I need to get my fix... If anyone wishes to trade Please check my list (if you don't all hate me now)
lol

www.freewebs.com/cartoondvds

Cheers
Jay
Old 06-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #34
Lex Luthor
I'm bringing Lexy back

Quote:
Originally Posted by combsisthebest
Okay, here's what I'm going to do. The maximum number of "points" you can have is 40. After that you will be a well established trader, and your number will appear 40+. I'm also automatically going to put people who have been a member at SO for 2 or more years in a veteran category. It's clear to me that people who have been here that long aren't going to be scammers.

So how does one go about submitting trades? I know that I have had a couple trades with Mel, Loren and Angie and one with Jen and Rare tv but there are a few people here who know me but I do not know their sign ins here. I am assuming the trades would be only ones with Forum members??

LMK

Jay
Old 06-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #35
Agent 13

Jay,

Go to: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=143166 and you'll see how others did it. You'll get the idea.

I only posted members of this board. In some cases, you might not even be aware that a trader is even a member. I think you could safely add those as they come to mind.

Jen
Old 06-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #36
Lex Luthor
I'm bringing Lexy back

Yup

Right there at the top of the board in plain sight and I still missed it

Jay
Old 06-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #37
nannyfan
Forum Regular

Woo Hoo!! I'm almost a veteran already I like that idea a LOT!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #38
pscisme
Frequent Poster

my two cents: combsisthebest is obviously trying to do what honest regular visitors of this site appreciate most: provide an educated heads-up about who the good and bad traders are by giving each the credit they deserve.

every new system is fraught with potential problems but if the system is a good one, it will withstand and actually improve as corrections are made.

maybe the system will fail and changes will have to be made-no way to know until we try, right?

peace on everyone
Old 06-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #39
Collinwood2003
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

I'm with you nannyfan whoo hoo!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:23 PM   #40
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

As a long time member of the CPS group, I just want to say that I hardly pay any attention to the feedback list over there. The numbers have very little meaning and like others have said, can be inflated and mis-leading. I have seen new members shoot up the charts by making one or two discs trades just to see their name move up in the standings. People abuse the system also, giving a +5 to a friend because they did a favor for them ....

The best way not to get burnt is to read, READ, READ !!! read the message board as often as you can. You can quickly pick up on things & learn something about everyone who posts & everyone that's posted about.
If you have a good reputation it will quickly be evident, if you are a crook you'll eventually be exposed.

Pay attention to the trader checks being done even if it doesn't involve you. Make a mental note, a name or an e-mail might be useful down the road somewhere.
Do the research yourself. Use the search function on this board. It's amazing what comes up with the right keyword. Check out a trader's old posts, there's always clues there.... basically do a little work first and you won't be sorry later...... learn from other people's mistakes, be selective and don't take on every trade that's thrown at you ... PAY ATTENTION !!

By following these simple rules, I can honestly say that in all the years I've been trading, the number of times I've been burnt can be counted on one hand.

Joker
Old 06-24-2005, 01:19 PM   #41
combsisthebest
Forum Regular

Listen RareTVonDVD, this is not a place to rat or whine about other services. State your views is fine, but it really seems like you have some sort of grudge. Well, I and I'm sure others don't want it here, so don't even start. Other people didn't have a problem with stating their views against the system in a more constructive way.

Also sounds like you need some faith. Heaven forbid that I trust people (not like it's blind trust either).
Old 06-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #42
jasimon1
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jasimon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by combsisthebest
Listen RareTVonDVD, this is not a place to rat or whine about other services. State your views is fine, but it really seems like you have some sort of grudge. Well, I and I'm sure others don't want it here, so don't even start. Other people didn't have a problem with stating their views against the system in a more constructive way.

Also sounds like you need some faith. Heaven forbid that I trust people (not like it's blind trust either).
So because he is saying how he feels about a system that you set up, and he isn't agreeing with you, he needs some faith? Wow, you are just as petty and close minded as my GUT told me you were. That was the last straw guys, I'm outta here.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #43
Agent 13

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasimon1
So because he is saying how he feels about a system that you set up, and he isn't agreeing with you, he needs some faith? Wow, you are just as petty and close minded as my GUT told me you were. That was the last straw guys, I'm outta here.
There are some things that have gone on behind the scenes that you're not aware of, Jasimon1. I will not air anyone's dirty laundry. Suffice it to say that all is not what it appears, and Combisthebest is not petty or closed minded. Quite the contrary.

This type of point system may make it easier than sifting through a 7+ page of "good trader posts only"; however, as with eBay's feedback system, ours will not be 100% accurate because many traders are content to let others post positive comments, without lifting a finger to do so themselves, besides the fact that many feedbacks are given for "sales" rather than actual trades, which is not what this board is all about.

Last edited by Agent 13; 06-24-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #44
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

Quote:
The point system will make it easier for newbies especially to see which members are reputable
That statement is true if, and only if, scammers do not abuse this system by fraudulently racking up points. As RareTVonDVD constructively pointed out, the safeguard we were told would be used (checking IPs) can easily be circumvented with an anonymous proxy remailer, so we're left with nothing. Agent 13's statement that this system will not be 100% accurate is a severe understatement: not only will it not be 100% accurate, in some cases it may be 0% accurate.

The people who are going to be most hurt by this unreliable, inaccurate information is not the long-time members. It will be the inexperienced newbies. The very same people that this is supposedly created to help are the ones who stands to be the most deceived.

True, the list will state with no uncertainty that Loren, Agent 13 and any others who are extremely active with other members here are reliable. That is good. They've traded hard, made lots of contacts and deserve to be publicly called reputable. But in the middle of the pack, where everybody has 5-20, how are serious traders like myself and RareTVonDVD, who are totally reliable but not particularly active here, and less-serious traders who trade only intermittently but are also honest and reliable people, distinguished from the scammer with padded points? Answer: there is no distinction. And if the system does not make that distinction, then how, exactly, does it make it easier for a newbie to see who's reputable? Agent 13? Anyone?

It's clear that most people support the idea of a "Reputable Traders" list. So do I. See, the problem is not with having a feedback system per se, it's what this particular feedback system measures and how it goes about it. As currently proposed, this system does not measure "reputation" by any standard definition of the word. It only measures who trades the most with other traders on Sitcoms Online and it does so without any means of data verification.

Alternatively, consider that some of the active/reliable members here could create a list of those people that are known, with certainty, to be reliable. They could form a "committee" of sorts and can update the list every 3-6 months with new additions as new (or old) people prove themselves with other members OVER TIME. It is totally unimportant that someone has, say, "1" successful trade. But if a person does several trades with different members, and they see his/her list grow online as they post additions, and they participate in discussions etc, then they just naturally gain a reputation that everybody on the board can see and feel comfortable with. Only at that point do they get on that list. A scammer is not going to go through all that trouble so a system like that provides a safeguard to keep them off the list. If a person is not on that list, a trader check is in order. Okay, that's just a thought off the top of my head, it may or may not be a good, or workable, idea. But to have a system where anybody and everybody can send in data, however unreliable, and to have that data be presented on a "Traders Reputation" list, which is going to be assumed to be true by a newbie, is only a good idea if scammers don't infiltrate.

We all know the scammers are out there, there's no denying it. With this, they will be able to prosper, over and over again, by continuously padding points using different aliases and always having at least one alias that makes them appear reputable, always ready to strike. When a newbie posts a want, they can reply and point to their "reputation" to suck them in. Maybe I'm paranoid and scammers won't do this, but it seems likely to me. Perhaps some of the supporters can tell me: Is there any valid reason to think that this won't happen?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #45
combsisthebest
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygrae
Alternatively, consider that some of the active/reliable members here could create a list of those people that are known, with certainty, to be reliable. They could form a "committee" of sorts and can update the list every 3-6 months with new additions as new (or old) people prove themselves with other members OVER TIME. It is totally unimportant that someone has, say, "1" successful trade. But if a person does several trades with different members, and they see his/her list grow online as they post additions, and they participate in discussions etc, then they just naturally gain a reputation that everybody on the board can see and feel comfortable with. Only at that point do they get on that list. A scammer is not going to go through all that trouble so a system like that provides a safeguard to keep them off the list. If a person is not on that list, a trader check is in order. Okay, that's just a thought off the top of my head, it may or may not be a good, or workable, idea. But to have a system where anybody and everybody can send in data, however unreliable, and to have that data be presented on a "Traders Reputation" list, which is going to be assumed to be true by a newbie, is only a good idea if scammers don't infiltrate.

We all know the scammers are out there, there's no denying it. With this, they will be able to prosper, over and over again, by continuously padding points using different aliases and always having at least one alias that makes them appear reputable, always ready to strike. When a newbie posts a want, they can reply and point to their "reputation" to suck them in. Maybe I'm paranoid and scammers won't do this, but it seems likely to me. Perhaps some of the supporters can tell me: Is there any valid reason to think that this won't happen?
Lazygrae, I REALLY like that idea. If more people are interested and agree with that idea I'm willing to change my vote in the poll to drop the current system in favor of that. I think that's an excellent idea! <Hand Clapping>