Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #31
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I did my research in advance - reading through the posts on vcdhelp.com, the reviews on Amazon. Reading people's complaints as well as tips. They helped enormously. I didn't have any problem hooking it up, and I planned to experiment and mess around for a while before committing myself. Not to the unit, but to do any disc for anyone but myself. I probably had the unit for a couple of months before I did any discs for anyone else. And since I found cheap DVD-RAMs, I copied everything off onto those so I could revisit the recordings once I figured everything out.

One thing that will help to know in advance is if you put in a bad disc to record onto, the unit will shut itself down. It's not broken, it's going into a protective holding pattern. The first time that happened to me, I about freaked out!

You may find that cheaper brands of discs work better for you. I tested the test discs in the machines in my family, and Maxell worked best on those units. (TDK, oddly enough, was very iffy - it would play beautifully on one deck, and register as a non-disc on another).

Also remember that in order to play the recorded disc on another machine, you have to finalize it - that encodes the disc so that it is recognized as a burned DVD-R.

Allow yourself some time to play with the unit - don't schedule any DVD-R trades for a while until you've messed around with it a bit.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #32
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Hi, I have the DMR-E80H model also and it's amazing!
You're gonna love it.

I'd be glad to help you with any questions if I can.

>Joker
Old 04-27-2004, 09:45 AM   #33
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey y2kJoker,

I may take you up on that.lol It may take me awhile to get it down. But, I'll let you know. I am going to go through that manual a few times before I try to do any. I think I'm going to get a DVD-RAM to practice on. That-a-way if I mess it up I can just copy over it.lol Well, thank y'all soooo much. You have benn so kind to me and my ignorance.

Thanks again,
tsmiller
Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 PM   #34
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey Deb,

Believe it or not. I'm just getting my burner set up. Today was the first time it was hooked up.lol

I burned a disk and it plays in the unit DMR-E80H. But, the problem is, it doesn't play on any other players. I used verbatim discs. (that may be the problem) you said....

You can only use DVD-R discs or DVD-RAM discs. DVD-R discs must be finalized before you can play them in another machine. DVD-RAM discs can be played in some computer DVD-ROM drives, but not other DVD players. They are re-recordable

Please help me again!!

Tim
Old 12-22-2004, 11:39 PM   #35
Agent 13

I have both a DMR-E50 and a DMR-E80. Did you use a DVD-R or are you referring to your DVD-RAM (which cannot be played in most DVD players)? Each DVD-R disc needs to be finalized. Did you do that?

Verbatims wouldn't be the problem.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #36
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

hey,

I have the DMR-E80. I read that I need to finialize my disks before on this thread. But, I can't find it in the instrution book that came with the unit. Could you tell me what page that info is on. Or could you talk me through it. I need to know how to finialize a disk.
I'm so grateful to this site and the wonderful and patient people here.

Thanks
T
Old 12-23-2004, 12:19 PM   #37
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

On the E80, select the DVD (rather than the hard drive), and then choose Functions from the remote. If you don't select the DVD first, when you choose Functions, you'll get an entirely different set of options. In the on-screen menu, select Disc Settings. One of the choices in that menu is Finalize. Finalize takes about 4 minutes, and it's what makes the disc playable on a non-Panasonic player. It is actually in the manual.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:19 PM   #38
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

page 36 of your manual

Click on "Functions"
then click on "Disc setting" (first box, top left)

then click "Finalize disc"

>Joker
Old 12-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #39
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

YES, like Deb mentioned

make sure you are on the dvd section and not the hard drive.

>Joker
Old 12-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #40
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Thanks you wonderful people!!

You don't know how much this means to me, to know there are people willing to help in situations like this.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!!

Thanks
T