Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Can somebody tell me why so many people request shows on DVD? I mean do they think

it's that many DVD traders out there? Especially when itcomes to a RARE show, why the hell would some one request it on DVD? I think it's ver stupid. It's hard enough finding shows PERIOD, and now people want someone who has rare shows on DVD?
Old 03-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

Did someone ask you for one of your shows on DVD?
Old 03-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Damage
Did someone ask you for one of your shows on DVD?

Yeah, The Ropers, Three's Company, and Happy Days
Old 03-06-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
Bigcvideos
Gunmsmoke Nut!!
Frequent Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Bigcvideos

I know what you mean I get several people saying "If you had it on dvd I'd be interested" It gets annoying.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigcvideos
I know what you mean I get several people saying "If you had it on dvd I'd be interested" It gets annoying.

Yeah they can't assume because they have a DVD recorder, everyone has one. I was lucky to find someone with eps on DVD but wasn't looking for.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #6
quest-for-eternity
Occasional Poster

Tapes are fading away, and many people only want DVDs now. I will only take VHS if it is rare and something I really want. Otherwise I won't bother.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by quest-for-eternity
Tapes are fading away, and many people only want DVDs now. I will only take VHS if it is rare and something I really want. Otherwise I won't bother.

GOOD LUCK-LOL
Old 03-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
hnybny
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster

I agree. its stupid to only want dvds. I havent got to trades for some shows i wanted because the people ONLY want DVD's...and yes its vvvvvvvvvverrry annoying. Its like...not everyone has vhs to dvd recorders. I dont mind vhs tapes as trading. If i invest in a dvd recorder and start collecting dvd's...i will also take vhs as trades cuz i would be able to convert them. People should only trade for dvd. why cant they just accept vhs and then convert them theirselves? Oh well...their LOSS!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
rarevidz
Occasional Poster

Default Why DVDR

Simple answer on my part. I get exact copy of the master tape. With VHS there is a generation loss (quality drop of 20 to 25 %)Something has to be really rare for me to take VHS anymore. I do little trading these days because of so many newbies claim they have 9 or 10 quality that turns out to be a 5 or 6. Same problem with DVDR traders. Cramming more than 2 hours drops quality. I"ve been burned a couple times by traders claiming thier DVDrs with 6 or more hour eps is a 9.5 quality. I haven't seen anybody produce a good quality going over two hours. The only exception is using flex record mode for up to 130 minutes. Same goes for those who have transferred from vcds. Of course everything looks great on a monitor or 19 in tv. Unfortunately, I watch everything on a big screen.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
hnybny
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster

i have heard from several people, that even having shows on dvd doesnt improve its quality...unless it was bought manufactured. I have seen alot more better quality shows on vhs than i have dvd. I see no difference in the 2. yes, dvds are better to have because they last longer than vhs tapes...but like whats been said...not everyone has a dvd coppier.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:15 PM   #11
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

Quote:
Oh well...their LOSS!
Then why are the vhs-only people the ones who are complaining about losing business/trades? This is at least the 2nd post along these lines in the last few months, in which time I have not read any threads from dvd people complaining about not being able to find what they want.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
rarevidz
Occasional Poster

Default re: hnybny quality comment

I view on a 52" screen. I can tell the dif. Anyway, no matter VHS or DVDR.
Crap in, crap out, only the dvdr will be a exact copy of the crap. The VHS will be even worse.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #13
hnybny
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster

trust me, its annoying, and no, i see no difference in quality...and yes...if u have crappy quality vhs's and convert them to dvd..its still gonna be crap...except the crap on the dvd will last longer
Old 03-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by hnybny
trust me, its annoying, and no, i see no difference in quality...and yes...if u have crappy quality vhs's and convert them to dvd..its still gonna be crap...except the crap on the dvd will last longer

THANK YOU!!!!!!. BEST STATEMENT I HEARD ALL NIGHT
Old 03-06-2004, 11:03 PM   #15
quest-for-eternity
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by hnybny
i have heard from several people, that even having shows on dvd doesnt improve its quality...unless it was bought manufactured. I have seen alot more better quality shows on vhs than i have dvd. I see no difference in the 2.
The difference is that a growing number of the stuff on DVDs for trade have been transferred straight to dvd, eliminating VHS tapes completely. In these cases there is a definite difference in quality over tapes.