Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Monkees links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Monkees Photo Gallery

The Monkees - Season One

Buy The Monkees - Season One on DVD
The Monkees - Season Two

Buy The Monkees - Season Two on DVD
The Monkees - Season 1 (Eagle Rock)

Buy The Monkees - Season 1 (Eagle Rock) on DVD
The Monkees - Season 2 (Eagle Rock)

Buy The Monkees - Season 2 (Eagle Rock) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Monkees

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-20-2002, 06:18 AM   #16
Cheryl Harrell
I Love You Mike 4-Ever

Send a message via ICQ to Cheryl Harrell Send a message via AIM to Cheryl Harrell Send a message via Yahoo to Cheryl Harrell

I agree with ya Jenny Lee. As a Monkees fan I like anything they do. I do agree that if you aren't a Monkees fan you might not get it. Still it is fun to watch anyways.

"Make it your way, who can beat the Lord, the Son of God. Dear Lord, help me be strong where I am weak, if it be your will"-- The Late Freddie Prinze Sr
Cheryl Harrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:50 PM   #17
StrawberryFields
Apple Scruff
Frequent Poster

I love the show,and Head. Head is so trippy and different, and every scene is something new and interesting, and of course, it has some great music.
StrawberryFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:18 AM   #18
Nedrta
Frequent Poster

Also in "Head" is Toni Basil (sp?)the girl who later in 1982 sing the hit song "Mickey" (and she was in the music video of it, where she kicked up her legs like a cheerleader).
Nedrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 10:44 AM   #19
hue_mee
Remembering Freddie

Send a message via ICQ to hue_mee Send a message via Yahoo to hue_mee
Talking Heads up!

Yeah that was a great movie a little different but the music was kewl. Mike and the" little crab" oops sorry Davy! hee hee! Just recalling a moment I had with him in Miami Beach there people!
(Wink) Both were great in the movie . Peter as well as Micky were stud muffins back then too hee hee! Head is a movie that stands the test time during that era.

"...and when he shall die, take him and cut him into little stars, and he shall make the face of heaven so fine that all the earth will be in love with night..."
hue_mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:34 PM   #20
hue_mee
Remembering Freddie

Send a message via ICQ to hue_mee Send a message via Yahoo to hue_mee
Default Re: Heads up!

Quote:
Originally posted by hue_mee
Yeah that was a great movie a little different but the music was kewl. Mike and the" little crab" oops sorry Davy! hee hee! Just recalling a moment I had with him in Miami Beach there people!
(Wink) Both were great in the movie . Peter as well as Micky were stud muffins back then too hee hee! Head is a movie that stands the test time during that era.
Meeting Davy at the Stevens Point Mall during there 89 tour. He was quite the "Little Crab" all because a slight hang over. Slight hang over? We got even with him when they played the song " Little Willie" LMAO!
Attached Images

hue_mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:33 AM   #21
EdwardHitler
Frequent Poster

I love 'Head', it's not as well known as it deserves to be, I think, a real 60's treasure. OK, ok, any a good one for a late night doobie!
EdwardHitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #22
Laugh30
Forum Regular

The movie Head seems to me to be a recreation of someone's dream, where events are murky and just don't make clear sense. People in your life are there in your dream and they're doing random, puzzling things.
But for a movie made after the TV series, a must would be scenes showing them performing music live to disspell the belief that they couldn't play their instruments. Circle Sky in the movie was great. A lot more appearences on variety shows and talk shows performing live would of helped, too, during and after the series.
Laugh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #23
Roy5
Cheap Scribe
Frequent Poster

Smile

I didn't get to see it until about ten years ago, but I loved it. Particularly the songs. And I'm a major Monkees fan.

-Roy
Roy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #24
hippiechick60
Forum Regular

Angry defindening the monkees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
I have never really cared very much for the Monkees. Because of this, I never saw "Head" until recently. It's incredible. Fans of the Monkees will hate the movie, but the rest of us will love it!

So although I can't stand The Monkees, "Head" is now one of my favorite movies. Go figure.

And I'm willing to bet that no one will ever say that the love the Monkees and the Monkees' movie.
hey hey! i'm a really big monkees fan but you all just need to stop saying stuff like that! i mean i know the movie head wasn't there greatest one i mean they could have at least had a plot but they didn't and the only one reason i like head was because the monkees were in it! thats it....just kills me when people say stuff like that man! the monkees are great they always will be! long live the monkees!
hippiechick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #25
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I recently tried to see Head again on AMC.Again I couldn't sit through it.I suppose the purpose of it was just having fun while deflating the Monkees' teenybopper image-but the film was a flop initialy.

Teenyboppers didn't want to see a symbolic surreal film.Intellectuals didn't want to see a movie with the Monkees-so nobody came and saw the movie in November of '68.
I understand that the Monkees were probably trying to make a stand for creative integrity. That they realized they were a manufactured pop culture cash maker. The whole Monkees project had them representing a culture they really didn't want to be attached with.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #26
Torgo
Art by Baby Torgo
Forum Veteran

I love The Monkees, their music, and their TV show, and I especially love the movie. I'm a huge fan of psychedelia/acid trip movies.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #27
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh30
The movie Head seems to me to be a recreation of someone's dream, where events are murky and just don't make clear sense. People in your life are there in your dream and they're doing random, puzzling things.
But for a movie made after the TV series, a must would be scenes showing them performing music live to disspell the belief that they couldn't play their instruments. Circle Sky in the movie was great. A lot more appearences on variety shows and talk shows performing live would of helped, too, during and after the series.

(That would be a good topic for another thread.
Just how many people have vivid dreams that follow a reasonable story line?
I know I dream very abstractly).
However, the last time I looked, "Head" in its entirety was available on YouTube.
I have yet to watch the complete movie. I have been a Monkee's fan but am not sure if it would apply to me about liking the Monkees and hating the movie.
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #28
QTMcWhiskers
Frequent Poster

A lot of season 1 has not held up well, but it's amazing what from season 2 remains fantastic. In part due to the jokes being aimed at different demographics.

But that's the TV show.

The movie "Head" is a clever piece of work. It's more a catharsis for the four guys first and foremost - the movie deliberately matches up its ending with its beginning to make an obvious statement of having to perform the same thing out of the box week after week.

"Head" must have been expensive - the number of extras, scene edits, and so on, there's always one other bit that I instantly think of along with the "Daddy's Song" segment: As I recall, the "solarization" process for the underwater "Porpoise Song" colorized/psychedelic mermaid scenes was very new and was very expensive and difficult to produce with good results. But, wow, it looks stellar. Even to this day. I still am awed by the technique, and wonder if they used standard film or infrared film to shoot on prior to creating the effect.

There's a ton of 4th wall breaking, to help deconstruct and break the image of the band's perception. And yet Peter Tork remained the least changed from the TV persona.

For a kid movie, we see things like - and at the very start - an ante-up of the joke that Davy sees a girl and it's all sparkles and sunshine as Mireille Machu (guess who she was girlfriend of!) was blatantly frenching all four of them in full view on screen. And yet the movie is rated G, to invite the 8 year olds in for something beyond their comprehension and for something that would be at least PG13 nowadays. But that's nothing, pay attention to the infamous Vietnam gun-at-head photo in a montage of images, with gunshot resulting in fan girls screaming and jumping up and down all excited and thus driving home a rather shocking allegorical parallel in the process. It must have been a shock then and still is now. Later TV specials would also try to shake off the boy band image and do the allegory, but is tame and confined with the limitations of what television would allow. "Head" despite its G-rating clearly had no restriction and the movie takes full advantage of getting to tell all they wanted and in the way they wanted it.

The songs hit another high point after the absolutely first rate "Headquarters". Songs like "Purpose Song" - oops, "Porpoise Song" clearly are morbid in a subtle hint at suicide. Not for kids. "Daddy's Song" is a precursor to 70s/80s new wave (catchy music with lyrics that turn morbid out of the blue at some point and given this was 1968, the time needed to do that choreography with the inestimable Toni Basil - never mind the lyrics of that song, the visuals and song and dancing are a real treat to behold, even if it was agonizing to put together - remember, there were no computers - that was all done by hand and it can not be understated what a masterpiece the song and visuals are. Just hope Junior doesn't ask questions.) "Do I have to do this all over again" (a fantastic piece that also spells out the repeating theme of repetition by the show's stars.) And wasn't "Circle Sky" on this film as well?

One other thing about Basil - despite the name of her 1981 hit "Mickey" having one extra letter, I always thought she might have had a thing for Micky. That may have been true as I just looked this up and the original song was "Kitty", which she did a cover of but changed the name as a form of homage or fondness to Micky (SongFacts.com tells that tale). Am a fan of her albums in the 80s as well...

Frank Zappa is an inspired and instant win just by being there. An iconoclast if one ever existed under those conditions.

I hadn't known until a few minutes ago that the Mike's Birthday Party scene was taking place on a set used for "Rosemary's Baby". A set that would be far more recognizable in 1968. These guys went all out with this movie, I swear...

Teri Garr was interesting casting, considering what she was doing. Also notice that Annette Funicello was an original Mousketeer but is now in a no-way-is-it-for-kids movie. That's warped but it took chutzpah to do it and no tawdry dancing was required as a cheap cop-out. T C Jones was an accomplished female impersonator (drag queen) - you wouldn't ever see that in anything for kids back then. And his scenes are easy to like, especially given the context put in by the 4 players (Peter, Davy, Mike, Micky).

And, of course, Bob Rafelson was on screen a couple of times as well. One of them with the T C Jones segment as I recall.

But there's so much jammed in that it works equally well as a "time capsule" of sorts about the 1960s. Most obviously the coke dispensing machine scenes, general turbulent and seemingly nonsensical cacophony of the presentation.

I still wish the movie's release in the blu-ray collection had the mirror eyeball scene processed fully (the teal border from the superimposed cel for the optical effect (pun not intended) is not present in the previous DVD and VHS releases.) But I recall reading the film source used was by far the best (suggesting time and other limitations prevented those few seconds of footage from being fixed ).

In the end, forget other music-based movies if you want to see a real slice of the 1960s. "Head" feels a lot more honest, and raw, than all of those put together. Especially if one knew anything of the behind the scenes issues at the time.

Or, to cut a long story short, I absolutely love this movie and anyone who hates The Monkees honestly should see this movie after being told a little of their backstory. I think haters would be floored and then be appreciative of this movie to varying degrees, even more so if they're 60sphiles. I think it's a marvel, if not controversial (that gun photo alone is still pretty hefty stuff - then or now), as far as creative motion picture art with soul is concerned. The best works are not about encouraging copulation but telling actual stories. "Head" story is the band's angst with the show's production and disagreement with its producers and using some remarkable metaphor and allegory to do it.
QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #29
QTMcWhiskers
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
(That would be a good topic for another thread.
Just how many people have vivid dreams that follow a reasonable story line?
I know I dream very abstractly).
However, the last time I looked, "Head" in its entirety was available on YouTube.
I have yet to watch the complete movie. I have been a Monkee's fan but am not sure if it would apply to me about liking the Monkees and hating the movie.
Try a couple scenes on YT but then buy it on blu-ray for the best viewing experience possible. Digital compression, especially for a YT clip, takes a lot of color vibrance, some audio crispness, and even some sharpness out of the image to keep bandwidth usage reduced. The end result is muddy. "Head" is Criterion quality.
QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #30
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

I love anything Monkee! They’re FUN & always will be to me.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote