Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-17-2004, 05:09 AM   #16
Collinwood2003
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

This one time I traded with this one well known trader a couple of times. The first time or 2nd she wanted my seinfelds. I had gotten them from someone who taped them himself. But I didn't know the last couple of tapes were bad tracking from the trader I had gotten from before. She was a real b+++ about it. Then when I had gotten the dvds in she wouldn't let me make it up to her. But after that we did two more trades and she complained about those. I had paid a hundred dollars for the mork and mindy
and I checked them all out and it was a good picture from a 1st gen dub. Then after a while I still hadn't looked at her tapes alot and after I went through them and they were bad. Her district and the guardians most of them had an annoying line hanging down at the bottom. I had to get them from someone else. Btw I hope she sees this.

Then I had this trade with another trader for the Jeffersons. And I got some of the tapes in sp when it was listed on the tapes enough epsiodes to be in slp. Then the guy says he is getting out of trading and doesn't even want to redo or get what else he wanted. I sure am glad to be getting out of trading myself probably after January.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:01 PM   #17
evefan-54
Frequent Poster

The most irritating thing I have found is when someone lists all the stuff they have then tells you that it is not available for sale or trade. If it is not available, why list it?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:01 AM   #18
Flying Dutchman

Default RE: Most irritating

I found the most irritating thing about tape trading is when its not trading and they make it sound as if they trade but only want cash, and 1 more thing i dislike is when you want 1 tape and they ask an arm and a leg saying but its a rare tape very hard to find so you get gouged. earlyer i was emailed about a tv show i wanted and the person said they had 1 tape was asking way too much it seemed as if they were selling me the 1st season of a tv series.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #19
snl75

i havent traded very much but one time i was looking for some hee haw eps i didnt have and i found someone who had them and i asked him if he wanted any more hee haw eps he said no because he hates the show and so i ask him what hes looking for and he gives me a whole list of shows i dont have and then gets mad because i dont have them . so i ask him if hes looking for any sitcoms or game shows he says yes. now i think im getting somewhere with this moron he asks me if i have any gong show eps i say yes im all set to make a trade then he asks if they rae nbc broadcasts i say no they are reruns from usa network then he whines that he dosent want them ether. soo i try again i tell him i have a whole bunch of abc family feud shows from the last abc week in 1985 and a few nighttime feud shows as well with the comm and everything he wants me to prove that its the last abc week before we trade i tell him i taped them right off my own tv in june of 1985 he says what is interesting about the shows themselves i tell him its because its the final week of feud that shuld be interesting enough, he says he doesent want these ether im just about to slam the phone down when i try one more thing he tells me hes a norman lear fan and wants to know if i have any of his shows at all to trade i tell him hes in luck i have 2 cbs jefferrsons telecasts the last ep from 1985 and the last cbs rerun from july 1985 with comm. he says no i dont want them i say but you just said you wanted any uncut norman lear shows he but i dont want the jeffersons i say why? he says because i hate that show i called him a few names i wont repeat here and hung up the phone. by the way i hope to start trading sometime in 05 and im sure i have something to please everyone here at so
Old 12-23-2004, 11:59 PM   #20
tulsa1960
Frequent Poster

my top 3.
1. not having what they want but they have what you want and won't take blank dvd or vhs in trade.
2. nobody answering your posts asking for a certain show that really burns me up.
3. getting a tape transfered in ep.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #21
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1960
my top 3.
1. not having what they want but they have what you want and won't take blank dvd or vhs in trade.
2. nobody answering your posts asking for a certain show that really burns me up.
3. getting a tape transfered in ep.
I defintely agree with number 1
Old 12-24-2004, 01:59 AM   #22
Agent 13

I had one experience with a member of this board awhile back which irritated me...

He contacted me wanting to trade DVDs in XP mode. I told him that the least I'd do is trade SP. He insisted that he only wanted to trade XP, and again I insisted that SP was the best I'd do.

Well, since he contacted me first, he sent first, and lo and behold he sent several discs, most of which were in XP [2 half hour episodes] or inbetween XP/SP [3 half hour episodes]. The bottom line is that he took advantage of me, and I'm stuck with too many discs that weren't worth the XP mode or the space it takes to house them.

Though irritated, I ended up sending him discs that were inbetween XP and SP, just so that the quality I was sending him was close to what he'd sent so I couldn't be accused of anything.

Needless to say, this wouldn't be deemed a bad trade but definitely not a good trade.

Last edited by Agent 13; 12-24-2004 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #23
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I ran into a trader like that on this board - I ended up not completing the trade. I'd already done my part at SP, and found out after the fact (but before I mailed) that he would only record at XP, and only disc for disc. So my three 45 minute episodes to him would only have resulted in one 45 minute episode back to me. I cancelled the trade.

Another thing I find really annoying is trading with someone who actually calculates out the minutes of the trade. "I'm getting 5 minutes less than you, so I think you should come up with another show for me." Oy.

Then there's the folks who copy a tape to DVD, and just copy it. No editing, no titles, just a straight copy of the tape onto a disc. When I copy to disc, I always edit out commercials, add the titles (or at least the episode numbers) to the menu, and have each episode individually listed. I don't put chapter breaks in, but I do the other stuff - one of the reasons why I've got to revise my trade list to show which shows I have available on disc, which ones I have planned to convert, and which ones I won't put on disc (because they're coming out or are already out commercially).

I also find it very upsetting when someone contacts me about trading for something in my collection, and when I can't find anything on their list that I want, they keep insisting I *have* to trade with them because they *need* something in my collection, like it's an obligation on my part. It's one thing if the person is a friend - trading for blanks isn't so much of a job, because you're doing it for a friend (unless they constantly take advantage - been there, done that). But for a stranger, it is a lot of ask for me to spend the time dubbing a show for someone and get only blanks that I don't really need in return. I don't have enough time to keep up with my collection (and there's the whole separate issue of having a life outside the hobby) as it is, and to add that extra burden - so I don't have any time left to engage in trades for stuff I actually want - is an imposition, sorry.

I know it's frustrating to find something you really, really want and have been looking for in the collection of someone who doesn't need something from you. I've been there, too. Sometimes I've been lucky enough to find something else they were looking for from another trader who wanted something from me, and work the trade that way. But if I can't, I look at it this way - one person has it, odds are good another one will, too, and I just keep searching.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:14 PM   #24
Flying Dutchman

Well DEB there is always buying instead of trading and if money isnt an option then there are alot of other trading sources u can try ebay amazon.com other trading boards there are lots of them.
I can usually get what I want somewhere, this show i wanted that this person was asking an arn and a leg for, i found the show on ebay and i was only charged an arm for it i got to keep my leg to walk with. Good Luck.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:20 PM   #25
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I actually do a lot of buying on eBay. I've found some great sources that way, especially among folks who are film collectors who've transferred parts of their collection to tape or disc. I've come to the conclusion that everything I've ever wanted to have on tape/disc is out there somewhere, and if I'm just patient and diligent enough (in my searching), I'll find it and I'll be able to get it someday. For me, half the fun is the search, because you never know what else you might stumble across on the way. I always dread finding that last piece, because the quest is over - until I come up with something else I want to track down. :>
Old 12-24-2004, 11:36 PM   #26
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by debwalsh
I actually do a lot of buying on eBay. I've found some great sources that way, especially among folks who are film collectors who've transferred parts of their collection to tape or disc. I've come to the conclusion that everything I've ever wanted to have on tape/disc is out there somewhere, and if I'm just patient and diligent enough (in my searching), I'll find it and I'll be able to get it someday. For me, half the fun is the search, because you never know what else you might stumble across on the way. I always dread finding that last piece, because the quest is over - until I come up with something else I want to track down. :>

I know all about search. I was searching for a 1993 NFL Game on CBS for the longest. The search started in 1994 and It took me until July of 2003 to finally get it. It was worth the wait.