Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-12-2003, 12:52 PM   #16
Beavis
Forum Regular

Nannyfan! You did it! just teasing! That is IT!! http://www.govideo.com/Index.asp?GV=VR4940

Long post...

The secrecy was the sales rep didn't want me to hold him accountable if the product weren't released, and then I'd complain later to him LOL also, his supervisors stated that it wouldn't be right for me to spread rumors on a product that wasn't released yet, coming soon, but in essence creating a stir (since I told him I wanted to post about it on the internet, yet they have website on it..LOL go figure) so he asked me to keep it hush unitl he knew more, thus I waited to tell you what I knew out of respect. LOL

But yeah! http://www.govideo.com/Index.asp?GV=VR4940

Here's the scoop nannyfan and others..

The Sales Rep from Govideo told me that that Black Model the VR4940 WON'T be released until sometime in January 2004, okay? BUT!, because of a flood of calls and inquiries they've been getting about it, they're releasing it this December 15th, at COSTCO stores only, COSTCO only, the VR3930 model. What is the difference between the two? I'll tell you: LOL

The VR4940 Model, as in the picture is Black in color. And their remote control has some added functions/buttons and has glow in the dark buttons, etc... AND it plays VCD's discs also... are you with me?

The VR3930, is the EXACT same product as the VR4940, with the exception of: It is Dark Grey/Silver in color. The remote control buttons on it are NOT glow in the dark, and the unit will NOT play VCD discs. That is the ONLY difference. The VCD discs.

I could care less for VCD discs since the quality to me anyway stinks compared to DVD. So I'll never ask for trades of VCD's anyway. LOL

The Price of the VR3930 will be around $599 give or take, but GoVideo is known for great quality. I was literally one of the first ones back in 1989, who bought the very first Dual-Deck VCR they came out with , I paid $1,100 dollars back then. Yes it was a lot, but I had to have it. LOL Looong before anyone ever tried to emulate them. I've had that Dual-Deck VCR from 1989 or 1990 ( I forget) until 2001! It lasted me that long , and it helped me enormously creat emy vast catalogue of hundreds of moves and shows etc... No problems whatseover with that unit, unti basically I wore it out after 11 years of use! LOL For Christmas 2002, I bought another one Dual Deck VCR for about $399, and It's basically brand new still. So I hope to connect on my entertainment system, my Dual Dece VCR and THIS Dual Deck DVDR and VCR Combo Unit! Imagine all the copies I can make for people! LOL

So I trust GoVideo and it will be at leat a year and a half or two even, until other manufacturers come out with their 1st production model, which in hindsight, GoVideo would be on their 3rd year production and add more features and fine tuned etc..so it would still be 2 years ahead of their competition...

So, If you have a Costco store near you? Or need to travel to one? I would strongly suggest (If you're in the market of a DVD Recorder with the added BONUS of a VCR (Each Deck records and plays!) Go for it! But the price may be steep for some...It may be even $499..so who knows. But Panasonics, and Phillips are good, and I don't care for that TIVO crap 80GB hard drive stuff since I have tons of VHS tapes anyway, I need to transfer them over to DVD. So for the price of a Panasoinc or Phillips DVD Recorder, you can have the added bous of the VCR in one unit to literally make copies and transfers with one button, AND still hoook up your Camcorder and record from them to. Nannyfan, thanks for sharing the product with us...you fond my secret! LOL I am going to pick it up this weekend Sunday night hopefully, if it's on sale arly, if not, then on the 15th for sure, but either way, I'll give you all my reviews one way or the other, good or bad, when I get it..since many of you have tons of stuff I would like to order from and trade or buy from... Thanks! Were you going toget one Nannyfan? or wait for someting else? I needed this badly since like I said, like you, I have tons of VHS tapes I need to transfer and get rid of...

Last edited by Beavis; 12-12-2003 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM   #17
nannyfan
Forum Regular

Hey Beavis!!

I'm going to wait until they get them in at the base exchange so I can get it cheaper and won't have to pay tax One of the advantages of serving our country!!

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a combo unit or not. I think I like the idea of TIVO - I don't currently have it - nor, have I ever subscribe to their service - but, I think it would be nice to have for recording sitcoms. As lazy as I am when it comes to setting up the vcr, it would appear as though with Tivo - I can pick my show and it searches out and records it whenever it is on. Am I correct about this?? Any TIVO uses out there??

Shows that I want are on 15 times a day almost - The Nanny, Golden Girls, Roseanne, Designing Women, etc. It would be crazy to get these from someone else when I can record them for myself direct off digital tv to a dvd. I think I'll head over to the BX now and check out what they have for sale. They have a pretty good selection usually and have great deals during the holidays on electronics!

By the way - today is my last duty day after 20 years of active-duty Air Force ....anybody hiring out there??
Old 12-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #18
Beavis
Forum Regular

Wow Congrats Nannyfan! That is true of no sales tax at the Base... how lucky you are..and yeah TV Land and Nick at Night have lots of great shows stillon cablke and I would be a fool to buy those shows that we can do ourselves,digitally now. LOL

I would love to also wait ideally for lower prices, but for the last 6 months I look at my room here, and I have all these VHS tapes of great shows and movies and stuff, but they're not catalogued, or some are unlabled etc..and I would like to sit down finally and see what I have, the quality, the number of episodes etc..then make a list of what I would love to transfer to DVD, what I won't be transfering etc...and get rid of all my stuff VHS tapes once and for all... I;'ll still trade for or get VHS for a show that's not on DVD fromtraders, since I'll just transfer that myself... Congratulations onyour retirement there! Must be nice!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:02 PM   #19
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Default I await your review

Hey Beavis,

I will be waiting for your review on the new dvd recorder.
I can't wait to get one myself.

Are you getting it on Monday?
Old 12-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #20
Beavis
Forum Regular

Since we can talk about it now.. LOL I'm going Sunday evening, the 14th, "in case" and inquire if they're putting it up on the shelves for Monday, or if they're putting it out early, etc...and confim that they do have it for Monday's stock.. If it's not there Sunday night, I have to work Monday, but a friend of mine stated he would go for me fist thing Monday morning and buy it for me (I'd pay hoi back..LOL) but this would ensure I get it, I'd hate to go to work then go afterwards and they're all sold out...(hardly, but never know) and yes I'll SURELY keep you posted on the quality, fit and finish, features, practicality etc.. Now I have to buy blank DVDR discs, some labels and some DVD Covers as well the expenses are adding up!
Old 12-16-2003, 08:22 PM   #21
nannyfan
Forum Regular

Cool Hey Beavis

do you have a review on the new dvd recorder + vhs you purchased yet?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:00 AM   #22
Beavis
Forum Regular

Hi Nannyfan and others!

Boy am I HAPPY! This thing is amazing! It lets you record DVD to VHS and VHS to DVD! as well as record from TV to either deck while watching another channel! etc...

I read the Owners Manual before hooking it up. I went out today and bought a 25pak of TDK DVD-RW discs for $77.00, I accidentally bought 10 DVD-R discs for $19.88 at Wal-Mart yesterday but those are recordable only once, so I'll be careful with those since I have hundreds of movies from the 30's-80's I've collected over the years on VHS tapes.. LOL hahaha VHS...sounds funny now. And I bought some CD/DVD labels for labeling and some DVD cases for storing etc...

I was testing it by watching The Guardian tonight on CBS, and the picture quality is so cyrstal clear and crisp! I 'd record 5 minutes of one show, 2 minutes of another etc.. Then I put in my Eric Johnson Guitar Video Instructional Tape in and inserted the same DVD-RW disc and began "Dubbing" and did that for 5 minutes, and then hit STOP. When I played it back it was unreal! I could not beleive I had this Eric Johnson VHS tape footage from 1991 now on DVD! and still look snd sound like it was a new recording! Hahaha It felt good! The fidelity of the sound is awesome! The playback, it was like watching TV! I also recorded it though on LP mode, since EP mode the quality is sacrificed for length of tape, and SP mode, well, that's the best, but I'd end up using more dics...so I'm going to record all my stuff at LP mode (4 hour speed) which I think looks and sounds awesome!

It hooked right up. Easy set up, the menus are nice, the remote control is user friendly, etc..so I am quite pleased. Now my problem is actually sitting down, getting out 8-10 banker boxes of VHS tapes and start sorting, episodes, titles, genres, etc.. LOL but it will be fun, since I have lots of shows I would know I'd enjoy more watching them on DVD instead of VHS. I'll still trade and or buy VHS stuff of shows I want and that are hard to get, since now all I'll do is just hit the "RECORD" button and there it goes onto "Dubbing" mode, and viola!

Folks, I don't mean to gloat or brag...it's not my intention. But this weekend I hope to start compiling my HAVE list and WANT lists and will be in touch with a lot of you folks I promised I would after I got my combo unit and learned how to use it effectively, etc.. which I believe I have now... Remeber, I can now transfer DVD dics onto VHS tapes as well as transfer VHS tapes onto DVD dics! It is soo cool. I would recommend a DVD-RW Recorder&VCR anyday... I will post back here in a day or two, once I clean up this mess (boxes and wrapping etc.. LOL) and decide which stuff I'll start transferring and which stuff I;m simply going to throw away, etc...

Lastly, I have TONS of well, many, many good 80's Horror flicks/Slashewr movies, A+ quality that will be transferred to DVD in the coming week, if anyone interested... Anyone Remember that classic 1975 movie with Karen Black, "The Trilogy of Terror?" Or The original piolt "The Night Stalker?" with Kolchak? LOL I have those too!

Cheers!
Old 12-17-2003, 03:18 AM   #23
nannyfan
Forum Regular

http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/dvdplusbrand.html

Hey Beavis,

Thanks for the update!! I'm glad you are having so much fun with your new toy!!!LOL!!!

You may want to check out the site above to order some dvdrw's from. It is wayyyy cheaper than buying your blanks at walmart! AGENT 13 said she uses Princo dvd's for her stuff. Since you have so much stuff to transfer...there is probably a cheaper place to buy your dvds. I know I've communicated with some traders who buy their disks in spools of 100. They probably make their original on dvdrw and burn their trade dvds on dvdr....??

Anyway...I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your purchase and I'll be watching for your list to show up with dvd formated shows!!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:18 PM   #24
Beavis
Forum Regular

Hi Nannyfan! OMG!! I can't believe how STUPID I AM!!!! I never knew about that site or those prices??? What a fool! Here I was happy I found a "deal" at Staples to buy the TDK 25 pak of DVD-RW discs for $77.00! Now the website I see sells them for like $30?? AARGGH!!

Thank you Nannyfan for pointing me in the right direction! That will surely easy my pocketbook alot! When I read the Owner'sManual, the DVD-RW discs, I can record on it infinte amount of times, erase and add more footage to it, etc..edits, etc... with the DVD-R discs, you pointed out, you can only record on it once only So, say I wanted to tape one episode of CSI TV show, that would be it, on a DVD-R disc What a waste of a disc, right? LOL If I taped it on a DVD-RW discs (re-writable) It lets you record and add many more footage, episodes, etc...

Thanks for your kind words, and yes, I WILL surely post my HAVE list for all to see... The unit let's you "finalize" the discs when done, , meaning, once you finalize it, it can never be erased or re-recorded on it. So, maybe some folks here, record their shows and footage on the RW discs to edit and stuff, then when they want their MAIN copy DVD disc, they transfer it onto a DVD-R disc,so as to ensure it is a "one-time' record only disc, and would never be erased or re-recorded on...that works also.

p.s. THANK YOU SO MUCH for that link! I wonder if I can go back to Staples and get a refund on my purchase, since, $77.00 is a lot of money now... gee whiz...if only I knew this a head of time...but why cry over it..now I know thanks to you! Give me a few days. I'm going to compile my list FIRST, then I'll start transferring my tapes to DVD, etc... so I'll post my list here for all to see, then folks can contact me, as I transfer my entire library collection..thanks Nannyfan!
Old 12-17-2003, 02:24 PM   #25
nannyfan
Forum Regular

Hey Beavis you are welcome! I'm going to start a new thread to find out where people buy their "supplies" from. You know, when I start doing my transferring, I plan on putting nice labels on the dvds with episode lists and in clear cases so I can see what is on the dvds. I don't plan on doing cover art for the cases because that makes it more time consuming and expensive. I just wish traders would put labels on their dvds when they trade - but, that is more the exception than the rule.

Have fun
Old 12-18-2003, 03:25 PM   #26
duffy76
Frequent Poster

I've always read that you shouldn't put labels on DVDs. The spinning causes the labels to get hot and they may peel off in the recorder/player. I just usually write on mine with a sharpie.

Just a thought.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:35 PM   #27
sgm1970
Frequent Poster

Regarding labeling, I have hundreds of dvds that I've labeled and have never had a problem, not once. Of course, I don't leave the disc in my machine for any great length of time, so they usually don't get hot. From what I've read, it's best to take the disc out and turn your dvd player off when it's not in use.

Just my two cents

Peace
Martin
Old 12-19-2003, 01:19 AM   #28
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

I don't know whether it's true or not, but I've also heard that the gooey residue from the labels can actually ruin the data on the disc as it disintegrates over time.

Anyone know if there's anything to this or is it just a myth?