Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD/Streaming News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver
Fri-Yay: Fox Cancels Bless the Harts, Leaving Questions About Animated Block; Variety and Lifetime Presents Power of Women Comedians
ABC Summer 2021 Schedule; Fox Summer 2021 Schedule
MeTV Spring 2021 with The Addams Family and The Pink Panther; Fox Orders More Duncanville, While ABC Goes Into the Wild with Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
TJ
Owner
Administrator

Default Betty White's Pet Set: Available for the First Time in 50 Years on Digital+DVD (2/23)

BETTY WHITE’S PET SET, a long-unseen series created by and starring the sitcom legend, will make its debut on digital platforms and DVD on February 23, 2021. Celebrating the show’s 50th anniversary, BETTY WHITE’S PET SET will be released by MPI Media Group in partnership with Darren Wadyko Media and Albets Enterprises. The three entities have come together to make this series available to fans, marking the first time it will be seen in decades. “If I haven’t told you already, I will now. The Pet Set is one of my favorite shows. I’m thrilled it’s going to be seen again after all these years,” says Betty White.

In an unparalleled television career spanning over 70 years, the beloved Betty White has brought laughter and joy to millions of fans of all ages via such hit series as The Golden Girls, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Hot in Cleveland, as well as countless game show appearances. In 1971, just prior to Betty’s sitcom superstardom, she created and hosted a weekly program celebrating her lifelong love of animals. Produced with her husband Allen Ludden (Password), BETTY WHITE’S PET SET featured Betty welcoming celebrity friends with their dogs, cats and horses – in addition to a wide range of wild animals including tigers, bears, elephants, lions, wolves, gorillas, chimps, cougars, cheetahs, seals, kangaroos, zebras, eagles, snakes and penguins – both in the studio and on location.
The 39 episodes of BETTY WHITE’S PET SET – unseen for decades – feature such entertainment greats as Carol Burnett, Doris Day, Jimmy Stewart, Mary Tyler Moore, Burt Reynolds, Shirley Jones, Michael Landon, Barbara Eden, James Brolin, Della Reese, Vincent Price, Rod Serling and many more.

Betty White has received eight Emmy Awards in various categories, three American Comedy Awards, three Screen Actors Guild Awards and a Grammy Award, among many others. She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, is a 1985 Television Hall of Fame inductee, and a 2009 Disney Legend. Dubbed “the first lady of game shows,” she was the first woman to receive a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Game Show Host.

A television pioneer, she was one of the first women to exert control in front of and behind the camera and is recognized as the first woman to produce a sitcom, Life with Elizabeth, which led to her receiving the honorary title Mayor of Hollywood in 1955.

Special features on the BETTY WHITE’S PET SET DVD include a look behind the scenes of the series, original promotional spots, the featurettes “Betty White: Game Show Goddess” and “Daytime Hostess: The Betty White Show,” Betty’s Photo Album and her public service ads.

BETTY WHITE’S PET SET
Release date: February 23, 2021
DVD SRP: $59.98
Running time: 16Ĺ hours (6 discs)
Language: English
Not rated

Purchase it on DVD:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...daysonline8-20

Last edited by TJ; 01-07-2021 at 03:06 PM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
retroTVfan4ever

This is very interesting although the price tag for the DVD's is a little steep, perhaps the price will reduce as time goes along.

If memory serves me correct, back in 1971 when this series aired, it ran in syndication and not on one of the major networks, ABC, CBS, or NBC.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever View Post
This is very interesting although the price tag for the DVD's is a little steep, perhaps the price will reduce as time goes along.

If memory serves me correct, back in 1971 when this series aired, it ran in syndication and not on one of the major networks, ABC, CBS, or NBC.
Checking on Amazon using TJ's link (support Sitcoms and use the link!), it's already reduced to 47.99 (still a bit steep for 39 episodes)!

Quoting from Amazon, this has a who's who list of stars from that time:

The 39 episodes of BETTY WHITE'S PET SET feature the following guest stars: Carol Burnett, Doris Day, Jimmy Stewart, Mary Tyler Moore, Burt Reynolds, Shirley Jones, Michael Landon, Barbara Eden, James Brolin, Della Reese, Vincent Price, Paul Lynde, Eva Gabor, Eddie Albert, Agnes Moorehead, Jim Nabors, Peter Marshall, Rose Marie, Bob Crane, Bill Bixby, Beverly Garland, Lorne Greene, Bob Barker, Mike Connors, Barbara Bain, Dennis Weaver, Eve Arden, Johnny Mathis, Donald O'Connor, Merv Griffin, Barbara Feldon, Rod Serling, Pat Carroll, Peter Lawford, Vikki Carr, Amanda Blake, Arte Johnson, Sue Ane Langdon, Miyoshi Umeki, Richard Deacon, Nancy Kulp, Billy DeWolfe, Allen Ludden and exotic animal expert Ralph Helfer of Africa U.S.A.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
retroTVfan4ever

I agree $47.99 is still too steep, if it gets priced somewhere in the $20-$30 range that would be better.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
Robert 13

My copy arrived today. So I watched the first 2 episodes and while the show itself is wonderful, MPIís dvd production is awful. Very surprising considering their good track record with releasing other shows on dvd. This set disappointed me due to the terrible dvd authoring. The shows appear pixelated. This can be noticed in the closing credits most obviously. But even the new logos at the beginning appear pixelated. I have other sets where they fit 8-9 half-hour episodes on each disc and this is not a problem with those sets. Here, the dvd authoring compromises the quality. I expected a better set from MPI especially with that steep retail price. Yes, the show is from 1971. So I wasnít expecting high-definition but I didnít expect pixelation. MPI, what happened?!

- Dolcenera
Robert 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #6
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert 13 View Post
My copy arrived today. So I watched the first 2 episodes and while the show itself is wonderful, MPIís dvd production is awful. Very surprising considering their good track record with releasing other shows on dvd. This set disappointed me due to the terrible dvd authoring. The shows appear pixelated. This can be noticed in the closing credits most obviously. But even the new logos at the beginning appear pixelated. I have other sets where they fit 8-9 half-hour episodes on each disc and this is not a problem with those sets. Here, the dvd authoring compromises the quality. I expected a better set from MPI especially with that steep retail price. Yes, the show is from 1971. So I wasnít expecting high-definition but I didnít expect pixelation. MPI, what happened?!
That's too bad about the pixelation, I agree this is unusual for MPI.

On the subject of pixelation, I have noticed this problem in 4th season episodes of Dennis The Menace from Shout Factory. And I've noticed pixelation in episodes of Lou Grant, also from Shout Factory.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

I've never noticed that on DTM S4. My main gripe is on the That Girl sets. At least on mine many times the audio goes out of sync with the video.

I ought to just find the bad episodes and copy those of Antenna TV.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
I've never noticed that on DTM S4. My main gripe is on the That Girl sets. At least on mine many times the audio goes out of sync with the video.

I ought to just find the bad episodes and copy those of Antenna TV.
At least for me, I notice some drop off in video quality in S4 of DTM when compared to the other three seasons.

With That Girl, I haven't noticed any out of sync audio but there's an episode from the 5th season, titled Super Reporter, that's missing the tag scene at the end. When Antenna TV runs this episode, the tag scene is shown so I recorded it.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

On my DVD sets of DTM, the audio is the problem--it's pretty bad on most episodes, except season 1. Sometimes it is downright awful, with garbled, low levels.

If I recall correctly, season 1 is pretty much perfect.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #10
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
On my DVD sets of DTM, the audio is the problem--it's pretty bad on most episodes, except season 1. Sometimes it is downright awful, with garbled, low levels.

If I recall correctly, season 1 is pretty much perfect.
I haven't noticed audio problems with the DTM DVD's but then again I haven't watched all of the episodes.

Regarding the Betty White Pet Set DVD, despite the reported pixelation issue, I still plan to order it but am not in a big hurry so will probably wait a little while longer and see what happens with the price.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #11
Marshall
Frequent Poster

I didn't focus on the picture quality. I was glad to see this show after 50 years, especially as it never was released on home video, streaming etc. until now. I don't remember it being aired following the one season, at least in the S.F. Bay Area, where I'm from. It's a really delightful program. The bonus disc is excellent, with episodes of Betty's 1950's sitcoms Life With Elizabeth and Date with the Angels, as well as an episode (on kinescope) of her hosting Password with Allen Ludden as one of the celebrity players, a 1960's The Price Is Right episode, and a lot more.

This morning, my review of the DVD release was posted online. The link is below.
Marshall

https://hubpages.com/hub/Betty-White...Review?hubview
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote