Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Home Economics Is a Solid Addition to ABC’s Comedy Block; Mr Inbetween Season 3 Premiere Date Set
Aidy Bryant Comedy Shrill's Final Season; ABC's Sesame Street: 50 Years of Sunny Days
Superstore Star Lauren Ash Signs Development Deal with NBCUniversal; Jenna Dewan Joins New CBS Dance Series
NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset View Post

Look at age 10 when first exposed to The Bugs toon with the Gremlin, I had no idea what a "A Card" was, had to ask dad, informed me is was gasoline rationing and I never forgot it! Steve please "Name That Toon"! LOL
I KNOW the toon but but can't name it w/o looking it up. It's a wartime toon from the early to mid 40s. Will look it up--

OK here's my guess (looking at the BB Character Index but not looking up the details):

Falling Hare
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #17
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

By the way any WB fan should have Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies--A Complete Guide to the Warner Bros. Cartoons, by Jerry Beck and Will Friedwald.

It's a great resource, and describes all WB toons by year and later specials, and is indexed and character indexed. I've corrected several errors over the years in my well-worn copy. Unfortunately it's out of print but I think still available.

For those who don't know Jerry Beck is an animation walking encyclopedia.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #18
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
By the way any WB fan should have Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies--A Complete Guide to the Warner Bros. Cartoons, by Jerry Beck and Will Friedwald.

It's a great resource, and describes all WB toons by year and later specials, and is indexed and character indexed. I've corrected several errors over the years in my well-worn copy. Unfortunately it's out of print but I think still available.

For those who don't know Jerry Beck is an animation walking encyclopedia.
Do you know if their is a site or book I can visit / read that lists which cartoons where being shown on Nickelodeon, Saturday morning and Turner Broadcasting back in the early 90's? Really curious, because I 'm discovering a lot of Looney Tunes cartoons that I have never seen before.
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #19
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

I don't know how that would be found out, but I have VHS tapes from Nick, with accompanying lists of their contents. But they would undoubtedly be missing some toons they showed--and FYI, they didn't show any pre-1948 (the AAP years) titles.

I also have Beta tapes with lists, from CBS Saturday mornings, lists from local WTHR, and Beta tapes from local WTTV.

TBS/TCM, I don't know about, other than seeing some pre-1948s as filler occasionally. Also, with respect to CN/Boomerang I can tell you, there are toons they would show around Y2K that they wouldn't show now, such as The Egg-Cited Rooster (I know for sure on that one--I have it copied from there), maybe Of Rice and Hen, Trip for Tat. CBS even showed Mississippi Hare, with the beginning edited out. They also showed Dog Gone South. The big "thing" back then was violence, with heavily chopped-up cartoons cutting it out.

If you have specific titles you'd like to know about, I can definitely reply. And yes, we're seeing several unfamiliar toons!
Old 02-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #20
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
I KNOW the toon but but can't name it w/o looking it up. It's a wartime toon from the early to mid 40s. Will look it up--

OK here's my guess (looking at the BB Character Index but not looking up the details):

Falling Hare
Totally an agreement guess, yes my dear friend, as a WNEW-TV NY/Channel 5 Bugs Bunny & Friends viewer well into when i started my TV career at age 17, yes that is the gremlin title.....without any research......I didn't have much of a relationship with my dad, but he suffered through my hours of 70's local NY TV viewing rerun after rerun and yes tho he died a terrible death, i remember certain things he told me, like what a "A-Card" was!

Thank you dear friend!
Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #21
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Never heard the A-card story, although I heard plenty of war-time stories from my mom. My dad had Alz. and had several years in a nursing home.

From Jerry Beck in the 100 Greatest Looney Tunes book re Falling Hare: "Originally titled Bugs Bunny and the Gremlin, the title was changed shortly before release to appease Disney's interests regarding its quickly abandoned gremlin feature film."
Old 02-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #22
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

11-wild-little-details-you-never-noticed-in-bugs-bunny-cartoons
https://www.metv.com/lists/11-wild-l...bunny-cartoons
Old 02-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #23
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Fascinating. I never noticed some of these, but I'm pretty sure I saw those writer names in Wackiki Wabbit.

In an early 50s Tweety, there is a sign on a building for something like Drink Friz.

My copy of Bugs Bunny Rides Again is old--I'm gonna have to see if that got censored on mine.

Bugs Bunny Rides Again will be on TIWM next Thursday.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #24
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Thought

Quote:
Fascinating. I never noticed some of these, but I'm pretty sure I saw those writer names in Wackiki Wabbit.

In an early 50s Tweety, there is a sign on a building for something like Drink Friz.

My copy of Bugs Bunny Rides Again is old--I'm gonna have to see if that got censored on mine.

Bugs Bunny Rides Again will be on TIWM next Thursday.
I wonder if that picture in the background will be a little fuzzy next week?
Old 02-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #25
TeeVeeCloset

Not really on-topic but since books relating to toons came up in thread may i recommend the following......i have no idea the "still in print" status, etc but these are in my collection.......

Kids' TV The First 25 years by Stuart Fischer 1983

Of Mice And Magic by Leonard Maltin 1980

Created & Produced by Total Television Productions by Mark Arnold 2009

Think Pink! The DePatie-Freleng Story by Mark Arnold 2016 (and humbly I have an acknowledgment in this one!)

I have many animation/TV books in my library but consider the ones' listed above the most informative for historical information.

Happy Hunting for anyone interested!
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #26
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset View Post
Not really on-topic but since books relating to toons came up in thread may i recommend the following......i have no idea the "still in print" status, etc but these are in my collection.......

Kids' TV The First 25 years by Stuart Fischer 1983

Of Mice And Magic by Leonard Maltin 1980

Created & Produced by Total Television Productions by Mark Arnold 2009

Think Pink! The DePatie-Freleng Story by Mark Arnold 2016 (and humbly I have an acknowledgment in this one!)

I have many animation/TV books in my library but consider the ones' listed above the most informative for historical information.

Happy Hunting for anyone interested!
What was your contribution to the Pink Panther book?
Old 02-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #27
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
What was your contribution to the Pink Panther book?
I supplied some cartoon information dates and episodes and am part of the thank you page, very proud! Thank you for asking!
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #28
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
I wonder if that picture in the background will be a little fuzzy next week?
I checked my DVD that has Bugs Bunny Rides Again (a great cartoon by the way) sourced from Cartoon Network, and the scene with the picture is zoomed way out, compared to what is on the MeTV site. It doesn't appear CN did anything special, so we'll see...