Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital
Katey Sagal Joins The Conners; CBS All Access Comedy No Activity Gets Guests for Season 3
Kevin James Gets Sitcom for Netflix; Grace and Frankie Gets Final Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 9, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #31
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.
Icon15 Chris Cornell leaves Audioslave, band breaks up.

In early 2007, Audioslave announced that they were breaking up when lead vocalist Chris Cornell reported his departure from the band, citing it was "Due to irresolvable personality conflicts as well as musical differences, I am permanently leaving the band Audioslave. I wish the other three members nothing but the best in all of their future endeavors." It opened the door to the pending reuniting of Rage Against the Machine and various solo projects.

Cornell later explained that his decision to leave was based on the way the band conducted business. He was not happy with the equal split of royalties between each member when he was the one who wrote most of the music. This was in addition to his not getting along with other members of the band.

Audioslave made musical history earlier when they became the first American band to perform in Cuba.

Below, Chris Cornell and Tom Morello live, with the cover of their final album, 'Revelations':
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #32
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.
Cool 'Tenacious D In the Pick Of Destiny'

Not all of 2007 was steeped in tragedy and breakups. There was in fact the greatest music movie ever filmed: Tenacious D In the Pick Of Destiny.

Though Tenacious D was in fact a real band, the story of the band's beginnings was in question. But did it not add to the mystique, as with most bands, that there was an amazing story about how two metal fans, actor Jack Black and Kyle Gass met as they exited the lives of their extremely religious families and tyrannical town in the midwest in their single-minded quest to create the greatest metal band in the world. After bonding with each other due to their musical abilities and mutual fondness for each other's magnetism and charisma, they form Tenacious D after coming into contact with Satan's guitar pick which contains magical powers and properties.

A Faustian sort of bargain ensues when they confront the Evil One face to face in a cataclysmic battle of rock supremacy.

Why this movie bombed at the theaters up its release remains the world's greatest mystery. The band did release their album of the same name at that time.
Attached Images

ABlairican Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #33
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool Tenacious D and 'The Pick Of Destiny' album

The album by Tenacious D of the same name as their epic movie, 'The Pick Of Destiny' faired a bit better than their film. However, it was rumored that some outlets such as Wal-Mart and K-Mart refused to stock the album due to the "satanic" satirical nature of the album cover in a humorous take on Michelangelo's depiction of the Creation in Genesis.

Both Meat Loaf and Ronnie James Dio appear on the first song, "Kickapoo", and other performers appear on other tracks, such as Dave Grohl on "Beelzeboss". Other songs include "The Divide", "The Government Totally Sucks", and the anthem, "The Metal".

The Metal

You can't kill the metal
The metal will live on
Punk-Rock tried to kill the metal
But they failed, as they were smite to the ground
New-wave tried to kill the metal
But they failed, as they were stricken down to the ground
Grunge tried to kill the metal Ha,hahahahaha
They failed, as they were thrown to the ground
Aargh! yeah! [x2]

[Singing]

No-one can destroy the metal
The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the metal
We tried to win for why we do not know

New-wave tried to destroy the metal, but the metal had its way
Grunge then tried to dethrone the metal, but metal was in the way
Punk-rock tried to destroy the metal, but metal was much too strong
Techno tried to defile the metal, but techno was proven wrong
Yea!

Metal!
It comes from hell!

Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #34
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy December 12, 2007: Ike Turner dies.

By the end of the year, the music world lost one its pioneering legends, Ike Turner. The coroner claimed that cocaine use contributed to his death, but this was emphasized over the fact, his daughter pointed out, that pulmonary emphysema was a bigger factor in his failing health.

While it was emphasized for years about Turner's tumultuous and abusive relationship with his wife Tina Turner who would go on her own stardom, it has been forgotten by many that he was one of the very first pioneers of rock and roll. He is credited with writing and recording "Rocket 88" in 1951 which became a single for performers such as Bill Hailey. This song is considered by many to be the first rock and roll song.

Born on November 5, 1931, in in Clarksdale, Mississippi, Turner claimed that, as a child, to have witnessed his father being beaten nearly to death by a white mob. However, others claimed that his father had died in an industrial accident. He had a violent relationship with his drunken stepfather who was abusive to his mother and ran away from home after one altercation.

Turner claimed to have been introduced to sex at a very young age by a few local women. Was this story to be believed? He felt not at all victimized nor traumatized by this. Was he bragging? Or was he commenting on his situation which would normally cause concern for abuse for youngsters in his day and age? He never thought it as abuse, there was no word for it other than "fun".

Also at a young age, he was exposed to music at a local radio station where he was allowed to spin records of local R & B releases as well as the latest rockabilly records. This had a profound impact on him. He was given piano lessons but felt his musical education came from boogie-woogie joints and then playing blues on guitar.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #35
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Default RIP Ike Turner.

Ike Turner went his way into music locally by forming The Kings Of Rhythm, soon playing with the likes of Sonny Boy Williamson II (as there were two well-known blues artists who claimed the same name) as well as Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, and other notables. He said that while playing local juke joints the sets would begin at 8:00 PM and not let out until 8:00 AM! Playing music was continuous but it gave Turner some musical discipline and a trained ear.

He recorded "Rocket 88" with his band by putting holes in the amplifier which caused a unique distortion. Jackie Brentson And His Delta Cats was the name of his band at the time. The album was successful though Turner made only a small pittance from it. After the band broke up, Turner was hired as a talent scout for a local label, Bihari Records.

In St. Louis. Turner reformed The Kings Of Rhythm and enforced a strict code of discipline for the members of the band, even physically assaulting them if they played the wrong note and other transgressions. As the band's popularity grew across the states, he found that young white audiences were enthused by his music.

Rocket 88

You may have heard of jalopies
You've heard the noise they make
But let me introduce you to my Rocket '88
Yes it's great, just won't wait
Everybody likes my Rocket '88
Baby we'll ride in style
Movin' all along

V-8 motor and this modern design
Black convertible top and the gals don't mind
Sportin' with me, ridin' all around town for joy
Blow your horn, Raymond blow your horn

Step in my Rocket and don't be late
Baby we're pullin' out about a half-past-eight
Goin' on the corner and havin' some fun
Everybody in my car is going to take a little nip
Ooh, goin' out
Oozin' and cruisin' along
Attached Images

Last edited by ABlairican Pie; 04-29-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #36
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy RIP Ike Turner.

While in St. Louis, Turner was making a name for himself as a session musician who appeared on various record labels. While connected to the Stevens record label, named after his friend Bill Stevens, he changed his name to an anagram, Icky Renrut, as he was still under contract to Sun Records and did not wish to cause problems with the head of Sun, Sam Phillips.

In 1959, Turner found himself for the first time in trouble with the law due to "interstate transportation of forged checks and conspiracy". He was forced to stand trial twice: The first time he was cleared of the charges, but the second time found guilty.

Two years later, destiny beckoned when 16-year old Anna Mae Bullock accompanied her sister Aillene, a barmaid at the Club Manhattan, to see The Kings Of Rhythm. During a break she asked to sing with the band, and when she did, Ike was impressed. So much so that he made her a member of the group under the name "Little Ann". In 1958, she sang on the band's song "Box Top". She also became the mother of the son of member Raymond Hill.

Turner also released a track, "A Fool In Love" with Anna's vocals. When former member Raymond Hill tried to woo Anna away from Ike's band, Ike asked her to take his last name in order to deter Hill. Anna agreed to this. Inspired by the character Sheena, Queen Of the Jungle, Ike renamed Anna Tina, due to the rhyming name. Thus Tina Turner was born. Ike had the name trademarked in case Anna/Tina left and he could continue to use another female and give her the same name.

In 1960 "A Fool In Love" began to chart, the first under the name Ike & Tina Turner. The decision to use her vocals came when the original vocalist, Art Lassiter, failed to show up and Ike was convinced to use her voice. The song became a huge hit and made the duo into national stars. The Kings Of Rhythm was changed to the Ike & Tina Turner, with the backup singers called The Ikettes. Robert Palmer writes, "There was never any doubt that Tina Turner was the star... the electrifying performer audiences came to see. Ike kept his own stage presence deliberately low-key, avoiding flamboyant moves and directing the band with underplayed, economical gestures. His songwriting, production and musical direction were geared toward showcasing Tina."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKpISNtgJMs

A Fool In Love

There's something on my mind
Won't somebody please, please tell me what's wrong

You're just a fool, you know you're in love
You've got to face it to live in this world
You take the good along with the bad
Sometimes you're happy and sometimes you're sad
You know you love him, you can't understand
Why he treats you like he do when he's such a good man

He's got me smiling when I should be ashamed
Got me laughing when my heart is in pain
Oh no, I must be a fool
Cause I do anything you ask me to

Without my man I don't want to live
You think I'm lying but I'm telling you like it is
He's got my nose open and that's no lie
And I, I'm gonna keep him satisfied

A wave of action speaks louder than words
The truest thing that I ever heard
I trust my man and all that he do
And I, and I do anything you ask me to
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #37
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy RIP Ike Turner.

During the 60's the duo grew bigger with such songs as "Poor Fool", "I Idolize You", and a cover of Joe Seneca's "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", the latter which became a million-seller. The duo shopped for various labels and recorded on many as Ike tried to find the best record deals. When the song "River Deep--Mountain High", produced by Phil Spector with none of Ike's creative input allowed, failed to chart in the States, the loss of success prompted Spector to become reclusive from the music industry. However, the song charted highly in Europe, catching the attention of Mick Jagger, who had Ike & Tina Turner open for the Rolling Stones in 1966 and 1969, bringing them into a wider audience.

The duo also covered Sly & the Family Stone's "I Want To Take You Higher", and of course, the very familiar cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary", where Ike's baritone background vocal chorus can be heard against Tina's defiant shriek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcyl_-5Yv2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_Aq2W2Yi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQnPz6TpGc
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #38
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy RIP Ike Turner.

More photos:
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #39
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy RIP Ike Turner.

The financial success of Ike and Tina Turner gave Ike the ability to build Bolic Studios next door to his mansion In the Inglewood area of Los Angeles. The entire studio was state of the art, and was later used by other famous musicians such as, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Duane Allman, Little Richard, and later, Frank Zappa.

In 1974, Ike was arrested for using illegal devices known as blue boxes on the studio's phones at the studio there that could create "free" long-distance calls. Ike worked feverishly to finish recording some projects before being taken to jail by police. Though he was cleared of charges, his studio continued to remain under surveillance due to suspected illegal activities.

The end of Ike and Tina's partnership came on July 6, 1976, on the eve of a new, lucrative partnership with Cream Records. En route from Los Angeles to Dallas, the two became involved in a violent argument which resulted in Tina fleeing their hotel and seeking refuge at a friend's home. Ike claimed the altercation was in fact her doing, in some sort of attempt to sabotage the deal with Cream Records. Tina sued for divorce on July 27 that month, citing irreconcilable differences.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #40
MA
Janine Turner
Forum Legend

Mind if I join in?

And many other guys too.

Netflix, please add Home Improvement

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen
MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #41
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelaArsenault
Mind if I join in?
Go ahead if you have something to add to the current year we are reviewing, 2007.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #42
MA
Janine Turner
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie
Go ahead if you have something to add to the current year we are reviewing, 2007.
OK.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #43
MA
Janine Turner
Forum Legend

January 30, 2007

Following rumours that The Police will reunite for a tour after 23 years to mark the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne", the band announce that they will perform at the opening of the 49th annual Grammy Awards on February 11 and subsequently announce The Police Reunion Tour.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #44
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelaArsenault
January 30, 2007

Following rumours that The Police will reunite for a tour after 23 years to mark the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne", the band announce that they will perform at the opening of the 49th annual Grammy Awards on February 11 and subsequently announce The Police Reunion Tour.
I read in an article that drummer Stewart Copeland in fact hated Sting. This was why they broke up twenty years before. If you look at old album covers with photos in the liner sleeves, Copeland's drum heads are covered with obscenities to illustrated his utter contempt for Sting.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #45
MA
Janine Turner
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie
I read in an article that drummer Stewart Copeland in fact hated Sting. This was why they broke up twenty years before. If you look at old album covers with photos in the liner sleeves, Copeland's drum heads are covered with obscenities to illustrated his utter contempt for Sting.
Iíll have to keep an eye on that next time.