Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 23, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #106
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslvd mr e
does ne1 know any segments on UM about mysterious letter writers. i have circleville letter segment but was wondering the name of that episode where the guy says ha ha ha and [B]the one where a mysterious woman calls but she lied cause she was never linked to the case.
only one I can think of there is the one where the woman had an abortion and then disappeared from the clinic.someone later called and claimed to be her.Is that the one you mean? In that case,someone anonymous that worked at the clinic admitted she had died from an infection and her body was buried at sea.it was felt that was truthful, and the caller was just a prankster.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #107
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekasjm
I'm just wondering if anyone ever looked into the bus driver that stated she saw the guy and the yellow El Camino? I mean...it states in the MU segment that the bus driver drove past that section of road about 20 minutes before Mary did. What are the chances that the bus driver could have stopped and put the box with the message on the side of the road for Mary to see. We and the UM segment are assuming that the bus driver was telling the truth but what if she made it up? What if she had some kind of issue with Mary and wanted to get at her by writing the letters and placing the boobie trap for Mary to see? And it's a small town so maybe this woman also knew that Paul kept his gun in his garage and knew that it was easy to get at. I'm one of the people who believes Paul Freshour is innocent and I question the validity of the information given by the bus driver. I know it's a stretch...but I just wonder if anyone looked into the bus driver???
idk,I lean twds that or either Mary set the trap herself and needed a witness to later come fwd to say she saw someone else at that site.
it seems like such a complicated case at face value,but I bet it all comes down to just 2-3 ppl,inc. the sheriff,who were involved,and I agree,I think Paul is innocent.someone sure didn't want UM coming to town,(likely the original letter writer?) and notice no one but Paul was interveiwed,and it would be safe to say all the main players in the case were asked.thus,one(or more of them) are the letter writer.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #108
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
OK, Jessica Fletcher I'm not, but after watching the segment several times, I got a feeling it was Mary Gillispie who wrote the original letter, perhaps as an anonymous way to confess her affair with the school superintendent but at the same time make it look like she was an innocent victim and then either she or an accomplice started flooding the town with other letters. Then this accomplice murdered Mary's husband so she could be free to continue with the affair without interference, stole Paul Freshour's gun and planted it at the bus stop sign so Mary would still look like a victim. With Paul, a relative that apparently is not liked by some of the family, taking the blame, nobody would be the wiser.

Someone who was part of this family other than Paul or a close friend had to have had a part in this. Why would this group of people be targeted in the first place? I think it all comes back to the alleged affair. I agree with scc, that the affair started before the letters began.
good thought,Mary seems to have something to hide by admitting the affair,but then lying and saying it started *after the letters.so she possibly wrote the letters then? why would she feel the need to say that? also,I think the sheriff and superintendent were involved.
I'm not sure if it was ever intended for Mary's husb. to be killed..perhaps the only intent was for him to leave her.it seems things didn't play out as expected,and he went after someone after the phone call.I think he fired his gun at this person and missed,and either hit the tree then,or was beaten and then the 'accident' was staged.it seems it all spiraled out of control,starting with the phone call,and that triggered a series of events,ending with Paul being set-up and going to prison for something he didn't do.
it's odd the trap didn't go off..I think perhaps Mary staged it.it was in an odd place anyway..who's to say she would have even seen it in such a brushy area? someone who did that would want to make SURE she saw it.and we know she was at Paul's house,due to them all getting together to confront the letter 'writer'.
and the sheriff...I think he had connections.it seems odd Paul would get 10 yrs minimum for a booby trap that didn't even work.(much less would he not even bother to get the serial no. all the way off the gun).and then the letters continued while he was in prison,imo just as the author said 'when we set them up they stay set up'.iow,someone was giving Paul the middle finger by continuing the letters.so then he gets solitary and no parole...that just seems too convenient,and more like an inside job,as if the sheriff had connections there.
only other thing I can think to say about this case is that Paul said he was covering for someone else by copying the letters..I can only think that his wife would be the only one he would cover for,so then..it seems they thought the writer was a woman? were they doing this to set Paul up,even though they knew Mary wrote them (or might have..).JAT.
I did notice Paul said he wasn't doing this to get back into the family's good graces,and that he had a new family now and wasn't going to look back.I thought that lent him a great deal of credibility,as his only aim is for justice to be served.he specifically said he wanted someone to 'look back at the letters and the accident'.so it seems the author and the killer (if it wasn't an accident) are connected.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #109
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

There's one thing that's always troubled me about the theory that Paul Freshour was the Circleville Writer, and responsible for the attempted murder of Mary Gillespie (and also possible involvement in Ron Gillespie's death)....what was the motive? It's clear that the original letters wanted to stop this alleged affair going on between Mary and the superintendent, so what stake would Paul Freshour have in that? Would he really be that concerned about exposing an affair between his non blood sister-in-law and one of her coworkers? The apparent lack of motive for Freshour to commit any of these crimes is one of the biggest reasons why I think he's innocent.

And I still stand by my statement that the townspeople of Circleville used the "letter writer" as a way to tarnish others reputations and spread gossip. I think there were several writers, personally.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #110
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
There's one thing that's always troubled me about the theory that Paul Freshour was the Circleville Writer, and responsible for the attempted murder of Mary Gillespie (and also possible involvement in Ron Gillespie's death)....what was the motive? It's clear that the original letters wanted to stop this alleged affair going on between Mary and the superintendent, so what stake would Paul Freshour have in that? Would he really be that concerned about exposing an affair between his non blood sister-in-law and one of her coworkers? The apparent lack of motive for Freshour to commit any of these crimes is one of the biggest reasons why I think he's innocent.

And I still stand by my statement that the townspeople of Circleville used the "letter writer" as a way to tarnish others reputations and spread gossip. I think there were several writers, personally.
yes and I think Paul knows who is responsible for Ron's death,and thus the set-up on him..someone/s wanted to get him put away and tarnish his rep,and it worked.the fact he came fwd to UM on his own,while no one else wanted to talk..NO ONE..lends him a great of credibilty,IMO.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #111
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc1222
yes and I think Paul knows who is responsible for Ron's death,and thus the set-up on him..someone/s wanted to get him put away and tarnish his rep,and it worked.the fact he came fwd to UM on his own,while no one else wanted to talk..NO ONE..lends him a great of credibilty,IMO.
That's a good point. Only Paul came forward to talk and to try and clear his name even though he had been released. Even the sheriff wouldn't come forward to explain anything. It seems this is one case where practically the whole town seems to be in on everything and for some reason, only one person is willing to talk. Makes me wonder what else was/is going on in Circleville besides the alleged affair between Mary and the superintendent.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #112
Hambone2421

BTW, Paul Freshhour is on facebook. Looks kinda creey...
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #113
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
BTW, Paul Freshhour is on facebook. Looks kinda creey...
I don't think that's the same person,though the features are similar.the person on this UM segment would be at least 69 now,according to newsppr articles.(age 44 in 1986).
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #114
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc1222
I don't think that's the same person,though the features are similar.the person on this UM segment would be at least 69 now,according to newsppr articles.(age 44 in 1986).
You could be right but if you look at his friends list, several people are on there with the last name of Freshour who live in Ohio and the Circleville area. Two Paul Freshours in Circleville? Possible but unlikely. Plus that guy looks like he's 70!
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #115
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
You could be right but if you look at his friends list, several people are on there with the last name of Freshour who live in Ohio and the Circleville area. Two Paul Freshours in Circleville? Possible but unlikely. Plus that guy looks like he's 70!
could be,maybe he was joking about turning 50 on his wall then.
I'm not sure the facial features fit the one on UM (nose,chin eyebrows) but I'm not that good with faces so idk.if it's him he sure does look and dress differently now.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #116
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

i dont think Paul is the letter writer, BUT i also dont think that Mary or the superintendent is either. i think it was someone who learned of the affair (likely someone in that school system like a teacher, principal or bus driver, etc) and wanted it to stop and they are the writer.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #117
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Here's my two cents:

I don't think anyone of the Freshour/Gillespie family took the first few initial letters that seriously. Obviously, Mary Gillespie denied the affair and didn't admit to having one until AFTER the letters began ( ). I think they sent some letters to the man they suspected was the writer, all the while thinking it was more of a "game" than anything serious at that point. IIRC, the UM segment says the letters stopped for awhile after they mailed their letter to the person they suspected as the CW. Which seems to me that there's a good indication that the person they suspected truely was the "original" CW, or else he would have wrote back or reached out to them denying writing the letters. I think Ron Gillespie's death was truely an accident. I think he was drinking heavily on the night he died (the fact that his family says he left sober could be another case of a grieving family not wanting to accept the truth) when he got the phone call from the "suspect" whom received the letters from the Gillespie's & the Freshour's.

I think the "suspect" again called out the affair (this time over the phone instead of writing to Ron) and may have threatened Ron or his family. Ron, intoxicated and furious, left the house and died when his car crashed. A lot has been made on the fact that his gun was fired that night and I really don't have an explanation other than a possible misfire when he collided with the tree, or he may have fired it accidentally because he was intoxicated, I don't think we'll ever know the true reason behind the gun being fired. A couple of years after Ron's death, Paul and his wife seperated and eventually got divorced. I tend to think Paul's wife may have attempted to "set up" Freshour as the writer, and may have possibly had help from Mary Gillespie.

Who else, other than Paul Freshour, would have had access to Paul's gun? His wife. Who would want an affair to end involving their sister-in-law cheating on their brother? Paul's wife. Paul's wife, IMO, has a better motive in committing these crimes than Paul did. I think it's entirely possible that in an effort to frame Paul, she half-assed an attempt at rubbing the serial number off of the gun (knowing that it would be traced back to Paul) and had someone set up this crude booby trap (possibly even Mary Gillespie herself making up the story of "discovering" it), knowing it wouldn't go off, only to frame Paul. That really is the bottom line on the booby trap. Whoever set it up (due to its "crude" nature), obviously knew it was entirely possible that it wouldn't have went off and shot Mary (or it could have been discovered by an innocent bystander who was killed), so their main motive in setting the trap, IMHO, was not to kill Mary Gillespie, but to frame Paul Freshour. And again, who would have a motive in doing this? Paul's wife.

This is essentially what I have theorized has happened. I do think there was more than one CW, and that the townspeople used the CW moniker as a way to spread gossip about one another in the town. I do think the man who was initially suspected by the Gillespie's was in fact the original CW, and may very well have been the one sending more of the letters after Paul was incarcerated. I think the reason that there is a lack of interest in "solving" or updating this case is because Ron's death has been classified an accident and closed and the letters have ceased, so in the minds of LE in Circleville this case is closed. I just don't think (other than the initial letters the Gillespie's and Freshour's wrote to their "suspect") Paul Freshour had ANY involvement in writing any of the letters. The motive for him to have done so is nonexistent.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #118
RedBasket
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Who else, other than Paul Freshour, would have had access to Paul's gun? His wife. Who would want an affair to end involving their sister-in-law cheating on their brother? Paul's wife. Paul's wife, IMO, has a better motive in committing these crimes than Paul did. I think it's entirely possible that in an effort to frame Paul, she half-assed an attempt at rubbing the serial number off of the gun (knowing that it would be traced back to Paul) and had someone set up this crude booby trap (possibly even Mary Gillespie herself making up the story of "discovering" it), knowing it wouldn't go off, only to frame Paul. That really is the bottom line on the booby trap. Whoever set it up (due to its "crude" nature), obviously knew it was entirely possible that it wouldn't have went off and shot Mary (or it could have been discovered by an innocent bystander who was killed), so their main motive in setting the trap, IMHO, was not to kill Mary Gillespie, but to frame Paul Freshour. And again, who would have a motive in doing this? Paul's wife.
Agreed - I just watched the whole thing on youtube all partied come off as pretty dim, actually. I can't believe Paul gave all those writing samples to the police!! I am a HUGE fan of law enforcement but I would have said, "Look....I want a lawyer."

Finding a gun in a box would have freaked me out big time.
RedBasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #119
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBasket
Agreed - I just watched the whole thing on youtube all partied come off as pretty dim, actually. I can't believe Paul gave all those writing samples to the police!! I am a HUGE fan of law enforcement but I would have said, "Look....I want a lawyer."

Finding a gun in a box would have freaked me out big time.
I would have,too.He said it was put under the banner of protecting someone;still..
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #120
Thelittleman
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfreshour
My name is michael freshour, paul freshour is my grandfather, I have never met him him personally but heard lots of stories from my dad mark freshour who paul accussed of committing the crimes, his own son what a great guy right. I dont know who nfresh is if he is real or just somebody typing stuff up. But Paul was a very nice man and smart guy to his friends and in front of a lot of people but however he beat my grandmother (KAREN) and often beat my dad all the time ( he once put him in the oven for 30-40 minutes for time out) he also rip part of my grandmas hair outfor asking him to stop hitting my aunt. He is a ****ty person and I know the real story and what happen and let me tell you he is a guilty man, the guy in the elcamino was paul he borrowed my grandmas brothers car that very day which was a yellow elcamino. He is a liar and a scammer. I'm not like nfresh ill put names out there and can prove and answer any question.
You do know at least some details about this case which are not commonly known. One being the name of Paul's ex-wife Karen, the other being that her brother did own a yellow El Camino like the one seen by the bus driver. That is consistent with the story. What is also consistent is the disdain that you show Paul Freshour, the same disdain shared by your grandmother. Being that you never met your grandfather and only have what your parents and grandmother told you to go on, you have no way of actually knowing what he did or didn't do. I have a few problems with the theory of Paul being the one who set the trap.

For one, the man spotted by the El Camino was different in appearance to Paul having completely different hair color. Also, why would Karen's brother agree to loan Paul his car AFTER Paul was already divorced from Karen and estranged completely from her side of the family? What motive in the world did Paul have to either write the letters or attempt to murder Mary Gillespie? And another thing, like it or not, if Paul really did write the letters then he was too smart and careful to lay such a careless trap, one that not only failed but incriminated him directly.

I believe that Karen framed or hired someone to frame Paul for the attempted murder. Here are my reasons:

Motive: Divorce court was very generous to Paul Freshour. He got custody of the children, the house and money and funds. Being in jail and a convicted attempted murderer would certainly change the court's mind.

Means: Access and knowledge of location of Paul's handgun. Access to brother's car. The yellow and black El Camino was one of only two cars of that description registered in Ohio at the time.

Opportunity: Karen herself was not seen with the El Camino, however it was a man that neither resembled herself or Paul. This very well could have been the brother or her lover which no one would have recognized.

Vengeance: Karen did not stop or begin at the attempt to ruin Paul this one time. She moved in with Mary after the divorce and told Mary that Paul was the one writing the letters. She also "borrowed" Paul's typewriter to try and link it to the case after he was in jail. And she cooperated with Sheriff Radcliffe against Paul.

The Trap: The trap was poorly constructed and ineffective. The serial numbers were poorly scratched off. And I just find it hard to believe that this was a serious attempt on Mary's life. This seems like a blatant set up if anything. Why would Paul, an accomplished, educated man mastermind this chain of letters, then stupidly rig a trap that pointed directly to him?
Thelittleman is offline   Reply With Quote