Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
As a Suspect?

Interesting.....

A journalist would fit the profile of the writer.
LOL, sorry, I didn't mean as a suspect. I just meant his credibility.

It dawned on me that Yant appeared in an episode of Final Appeal to bolster Paul Ferrell's claims of innocence which are just so incredibly laughable. I mean, most of the final appeal segments get you thinking, but Ferrell's was a total no-brainer. Why Yant would stand behind someone like Ferrell I have no idea. He's either extremely gullible, or even worse, is pushing some agenda.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #17
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
This may seem off the wall but has anyone ever considered a female could have been involved in the letter writing.
Yes, I brought up this possibility a long time ago in another thread. If you pause the segment when some of the letters are in a close-up view, you can read some of the text. In my opinion, what the text says is revealing in that it sounds to me like verbiage a woman would write. It's probable, in my mind, that it was Paul's wife or the superintendent's wife (if he had one).

One frustrating thing about this is none of us are privy to the info that the Sheriff and, I assume, the journalists had. I imagine they had access to most of the letters. A lot can be determined by someone's writing style (I don't mean handwriting, I mean verbiage). This is why I think it would be cool if someone could obtain the court transcripts (if I am not mistaken, all criminal court transcripts are publicly accessible by anyone).

Quote:
Btw does ANYONE out there believe that Mary Gillespie and the Superintendent's affair started AFTER the letter writing campaign....no I didn't think so.
No. And for her to suggest it began afterwards is an ultimate insult to the intelligence of even the dumbest person alive.

And the fact that Mary wouldn't appear for the segment says something. The same goes for the Sheriff.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #18
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
It's probable, in my mind, that it was Paul's wife or the superintendent's wife (if he had one).
That's the thing that makes me feel Freshour had involvement with some of the letters and may have had suspicions about how his gun was utilized for the booby trap. Add to that his comments towards his former family at the end of the segment and the mysterious blitz of letters while he was in prison. If the letter writer wanted Freshour to "stay set up" why send scores of letters in to him (unless there were possibly a few poison pen writers out there)? It seems as though someone had regrets that Freshour received such a long prison sentence and wanted it to look like the mysterious harasser was still at work.

Why did the (original) letter writer focus on Mary Gillespie, and not the superintendent, whose career would be more adversely affected by the affair should it become public knowledge? A disgruntled coworker of Mary's could have made the most of the situation and made his boss' life a living hell, but as far as we know, s/he focuses on Mary. The writer wants Mary's husband to press Mary to admit the affair to the school board; basically s/he wants Mary publicly humiliated, the superintendent less so. That, to me, suggests a closer personal involvement with her -- either someone angry at how she was hoodwinking her husband or upset that she was sleeping with someone else (and not them).

Last edited by soilentgreen; 12-08-2009 at 10:10 AM.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
Mastermind

Quote:
Why did the (original) letter writer focus on Mary Gillespie, and not the superintendent, whose career would be more adversely affected by the affair should it become public knowledge? A disgruntled coworker of Mary's could have made the most of the situation and made his boss' life a living hell, but as far as we know, s/he focuses on Mary. The writer wants Mary's husband to press Mary to admit the affair to the school board; basically s/he wants Mary publicly humiliated, the superintendent less so. That, to me, suggests a closer personal involvement with her -- either someone angry at how she was hoodwinking her husband or upset that she was sleeping with someone else (and not them).
Why on Mary? There are several reasons other reasons.
1. The writer might have been someone that wanted to have a relationship with Mary. Mary may have rebuffed his claims because she pulled the fidelity card on him. Just think how upset this guy might be if he later finds out that Mary is cheating on her husband with someone else! That's the type of thing that might drive someone over the edge.

2. Usually people think the woman might be more vulnerable to humiliation over fidelity than the superintendant. A guy is almost expected to be promiscous in society. I'm not being chauvinistic here, I'm just pointing out how some poeple think.

3. Mary is more likely to be intimidated by the letter, whereas the superintendent may be more inclined to take a gun and search for the writer, much like Ron did.

4. It has to be considered that the writer may have no connection to Mary or Paul and may just be a psychopath that garnered a piece of gossip he heard. Perhaps a fellow bus driver who heard about the infidelity through the grapevine. This guy may have even been inspired by how the Zodiac Killer created fear via letters.

5. It's possible the letter writer has more of a direct connection to the superintendent and feared he might be recognized.

6. It's possible the writer may be a religious nut as well. The writer may feel that Mary is a harlot who needs to be punished. Sadly, religion tends to punish the women more in these cases.

7. More importantly...the writer may know that Mary was the person who commenced the relationship. She may have been the seducer. This may hold more stock with the writer.

8. The writer may be a rival to the affections of the superintedent(perhaps even the wife). The wirter may have wanted to have Mary "back off her man".

Quote:
If the letter writer wanted Freshour to "stay set up" why send scores of letters in to him (unless there were possibly a few poison pen writers out there)?
Even more important...If his wife wrote the letter, why would she wait so long to spring him from jail?

Even more important...why would Paul Freshour risk trying to kill Mary or her daughter with the booby trap. As crude as it was, there was a chance it could fire. Didn't Mary already confess to the relationship before the booby trap? (or am I wrong about this?)

I would love to take a look at one of the letters to determine if the writer is a psychopath. Also if this letter was written by a woman.

When I think about it. Stealing Paul Freshours gun would be easy. Especially if the writer is a friend or relative of the family. It could be as simple as being invited into the house, going to the bathroom and just stealing it and walking away with it.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

If his wife wrote the letter, why would she wait so long to spring him from jail?

You'd have to delve into background of their marriage. Also, what was Freshour's background with Mary Gillespie? Were Freshour and his wife the original letter writers, or did Freshour at some point suspect that his wife or someone else close to him was behind the letters? This goes along with Freshour's claim that he wrote copies of the letters at the Sheriff's insistence because he thought he was protecting a family member.

His wife's issues/divorce with Freshour may have motivated her to point the finger at him and have him take the blame for the letters and booby trap.

Possibly whoever set the booby trap believed that no one would ever be successfully prosecuted for it. At some point, whoever set the booby trap may have felt guilty about how long of a sentence Freshour received. Or it might be his own friends and family thought to write the prison letters to deflect suspicion off of Freshour.

Exactly what was the motivation to write to Freshour? It could simply have been to gloat, but wouldn't common sense (which, I'll admit, highly vindictive people rarely use at such times) dictate that the letters would indicate that the harasser/attempted murderer was still at large? And these letters were going to everyone and their uncle, which makes it more credible that the entire purpose was to help exonerate Freshour. Since the original letter writer threatened to broadcast the affair on the CB, why didn't s/he carry out that threat earlier on, and send letters to the school board?

Even more important...why would Paul Freshour risk trying to kill Mary or her daughter with the booby trap. As crude as it was, there was a chance it could fire. Didn't Mary already confess to the relationship before the booby trap? (or am I wrong about this?)

I think the confession came prior to the booby trap. Was it ever proven that the original letter writer's handwriting was the same as the writing on the sign on the booby trap? By the time of the booby trap incident, word had undoubtedly spread about both the letters and the affair.

I tend to feel that Freshour, at the least, had some knowledge about the letters/booby trap or that he had suspicions about who was behind them. What appears as either absolute guilt or innocence in Freshour's case (and either is possible) may simply be a case of being unable to accuse other individuals without implicating his own self in some of the occurrences.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #21
Hambone2421

As I watched The Circleville Letters on UM, I kept thinking he did it. But then when he went to prison, the letters kept going, with the same handwriting and the same postmark, which was ont he otherside of the state from where the prison was. The only possible way he did it was if he sent it to his wife/friend/accomplice and had that person send the letters from Columbus. Its just a very odd case.

Also before his BIL is killed, he was on the phone with the "letter writer" and was going out to confront him. Wouldnt he have recognized Paul Freshour's voice since he was his BIL? Plus who is this other "person of interest" that the family it may have been? The whole case seems very very strange.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
Mastermind

Quote:
The only possible way he did it was if he sent it to his wife/friend/accomplice and had that person send the letters from Columbus. Its just a very odd case.
What other accomplice could Paul have other than his wife?

Quote:
Plus who is this other "person of interest" that the family it may have been?
Paul could have stopped writing the letters when the family wrote their own letter. To draw attention away from himself.

There are threeother "persons of interest" that are mentioned in this case
1. Whoever was first suspected of killing Mr. Gillespie
2. The man in the El camino.
3. Whoever mr. Gillespies believed was the writer over the phone.

The multi-million dollar question is whether these all refer to the same person or possible 4 different individuals.

Quote:
Wouldnt he have recognized Paul Freshour's voice since he was his BIL?
More importantly, wouldn't he have told Mary? I suppose he could have decided that he didn;t want to upset her with the fact that he might want have to kill her brother.

To me the big questions in this case are
1. Why the gun booby trap?
2. Why so many letters at such a pace over such a wide spread.
3. If Paul Freshour is the writer...who wrote the letters while he was in jail and why?

What type of "mind" would do all the above?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #23
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
You'd have to delve into background of their marriage. Also, what was Freshour's background with Mary Gillespie?
I don't know how well they got along but I doubt the relationship was very smooth. Paul's wife (Sue I think her name is) was the sister of Ron (the dead guy). If anyone had a motive for hating Mary and her infidelity it would be her. The question is what went on between Paul and Sue to cause the divorce. Which one of them wrote the letters or were both of them in on it? Perhaps Paul didn't want any part of this campaign, so perhaps that eventually drove him and his wife apart. Perhaps that's when she tried to pin it on him. All of this is speculation and will never be known without having more info about the case.

Quote:
Were Freshour and his wife the original letter writers, or did Freshour at some point suspect that his wife or someone else close to him was behind the letters?
I don't know, but I do know Mary testified at trial that Sue had told her Paul was doing it. Either Mary is lying and trying to pin it on Paul (for some unknown reason) or Sue was telling the truth. It's also possible, as I said above, that Sue was writing the letters and trying to pin it on Paul (for reasons unknown). Again, this is why it would be imperative to know what caused the divorce (not that it's anyone's business).

Quote:
This goes along with Freshour's claim that he wrote copies of the letters at the Sheriff's insistence because he thought he was protecting a family member.
It's interesting how many people in this segment were referred to as "family members" or "family friends." It's as if everyone had threatened to sue for defamation if UM used their names. But I agree with you, Paul's wife seems as good a candidate as any for this "family member." Remember, there is no one better than her as far as a motive goes since she was Ron's sister and definitely had a motive to hate Mary. The only strange thing is, if it was her, then why all the letters? Why didn't she just tell Ron, "Hey, Mary is cheating on you?" If she was writing the letters why would she harass her brother with the whole thing? After all, he lived in the house and had to deal with all the nonsense. It seems as if this whole thing turned him to drinking. This is a bit much to put a brother through. Not to mention some of the letters had threatened Ron if he didn't "put a stop to his wife's affair."

Quote:
His wife's issues/divorce with Freshour may have motivated her to point the finger at him and have him take the blame for the letters and booby trap.
I think it's as good a theory as any. As I said above, it doesn't make sense why would Paul's wife would harass her own brother (Ron) and threaten him in the letters? I suppose this is why I believe several people were involved. Perhaps Sue and Paul were both involved and both wrote letters or perhaps they even brought a friend in to "help."

Quote:
Possibly whoever set the booby trap believed that no one would ever be successfully prosecuted for it. At some point, whoever set the booby trap may have felt guilty about how long of a sentence Freshour received. Or it might be his own friends and family thought to write the prison letters to deflect suspicion off of Freshour.
I am not so sure that all of the letters being sent while Paul was in prison were authentic. The segment said hundreds, if not thousands, were being sent all over the entire state. I think it's likely some of them were copycats, bored teenagers, or what have you. It's unlikely one person could write thousands of letters.

Quote:
I think the confession came prior to the booby trap. Was it ever proven that the original letter writer's handwriting was the same as the writing on the sign on the booby trap? By the time of the booby trap incident, word had undoubtedly spread about both the letters and the affair.
I don't know if it's possible to compare the booby trap writing with the letters since the booby trap was so succinct and in much larger print (probably done with a spray paint can). You can't compare spray paint or a paint brush with handwriting.
Quote:
I tend to feel that Freshour, at the least, had some knowledge about the letters/booby trap or that he had suspicions about who was behind them. What appears as either absolute guilt or innocence in Freshour's case (and either is possible) may simply be a case of being unable to accuse other individuals without implicating his own self in some of the occurrences.
I agree. I think Paul knows a lot but feels sorry the thing "went so far." It's possible he is covering up for a family member, but at the same time, wants his name cleared.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
Bleedingheart
Frequent Poster

It would seem to me they Freshour does have an idea who the writer is hence how did they communicate with the writer.

In the segment it mentioned that they were letting the writer know that they know who he or she was
Bleedingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #25
Mastermind

Quote:
It would seem to me they Freshour does have an idea who the writer is hence how did they communicate with the writer.
I think Paul has an opinion who the writer is like the rest of the family did. But I doubt he knows anymore than Mary Gillespies does.

Quote:
The question is what went on between Paul and Sue to cause the divorce. Which one of them wrote the letters or were both of them in on it? Perhaps Paul didn't want any part of this campaign, so perhaps that eventually drove him and his wife apart. Perhaps that's when she tried to pin it on him.
Would Paul's wife really know how to set up that gun booby trap? As crude as it was, it did require a person with knowledge of contruction and handiwork to make it. Would Paul's wife really know where to start?

The construction of the booby trap seems to me to be more likely to be done by a man, than a woman.

Why does Sue even need to do the booby trap in the first place? Her fingering Paul as the letter writer would be sufficient enough.

Quote:
I am not so sure that all of the letters being sent while Paul was in prison were authentic. The segment said hundreds, if not thousands, were being sent all over the entire state. I think it's likely some of them were copycats, bored teenagers,
1. How many teenagers knew the letters had to be postmarked via Columbus?
2. There is no internet and the letters were not published, nobody could have known what the content and style of the letters was.
3. i do believe that a few of the letters sent to Paul in prison match the original letters handwriting.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
Hambone2421

I cant remember but was Mary Gillespie even interviewed by Unsolved Mysteries regarding this case? Its been so long since I've seen this segment but I honestly can not remember her being interviewed.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #27
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I cant remember but was Mary Gillespie even interviewed by Unsolved Mysteries regarding this case? Its been so long since I've seen this segment but I honestly can not remember her being interviewed.
No, I don't believe there was even so much as a picture of her shown. Just the actress in the re-enactments. Freshour was the only family member interviewed (I think).
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #28
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
As was said above, Mary was not interviewed and neither was the Sheriff. Both declined. The silence around this case is pretty remarkable -- no one but Paul wanted to talk.

As for the letters, one must not assume they were all written by the same person and one must not assume the guy in the El Camino (who set the trap) even wrote any letters at all. The more I study this case, the more I think more than one person was involved (it may have just been two people, like a husband and wife). Either that or some of the letters were copycats. The segment did not elaborate on how many letters handwriting analysis was done. It is doubtful that it was done on all of them (hundreds if not thousands of them were sent). It is very likely in my mind that letters were written by two or more people (Paul being one of them).

As for how copycats could possibly hear of the case (since there was no internet), well it was widely publicized in Circleville and even nationally. This is evident based on the fact that some of the newspaper articles about the story were printed in newspapers in other states.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #29
burbqueen
Master of My Domain
Frequent Poster

HI everyone!! I have been lurking for 2 years now and have been reading posts and updates since 2004!! I feel I know some of you already from the post I have read. I am a huge fan of the show, but cant stand what spike TV has done to it. Well I finally decided to join.

As for this case. Did anyone think the letters written before Paul went to prison and the letters that arrived after he was in the clink looked different? Or was it just me? I swear the script is not the same.
burbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #30
Mastermind

Quote:
Or was it just me? I swear the script is not the same.
Are we sure that's the actual letter shown? It could just be something that UM made themselves?

[QUOTE]As for this case. Did anyone think the letters written before Paul went to prison and the letters that arrived after he was in the clink looked different? QUOTE]

I doubt it for these reasons:
1. I think the letter had a date postmark on it, did it not?
2. I also think you have to use a special address to mail something to a prisoner. How would Paul know his serial number?

Quote:
As was said above, Mary was not interviewed and neither was the Sheriff. Both declined. The silence around this case is pretty remarkable -- no one but Paul wanted to talk.
Are you sure they declined? Maybe there wasn't enough time to show everyone's interview. I think this was one of their longer segments if I rememer.

The problem I have with the conspiracy theory is:
1. What does the other person get out of it? There's no money involved here. The affair has already happened. Why would someone willing become an accessory to harassment and two counts of murder just to have Mary fess up to her husband?

2. Your assuming the motives of the 1st person are sane. It's quite possible the writer is a psychopath. These type of people usually are alone in their acts.

3. The proof that we have that their is second person is :
a. The letter that was sent to Paul in jail
b. A second person answers the question about why if Paul did the writings, why his gun was used in the booby trap
c. The opinion of one handwriting expert that the writing is a women's writing.

All the above could be answered by other things.

Quote:
As for how copycats could possibly hear of the case (since there was no internet), well it was widely publicized in Circleville and even nationally. This is evident based on the fact that some of the newspaper articles about the story were printed in newspapers in other states.
But where copies of the letters shown to the public? Was the Columbus post office code mentioned?