Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #151
RedBasket
Frequent Poster

I can't believe so much time has passed in this case.

As for Mary not appearing on camera - not everyone wants to be on tv. Har to believe, but maybe she just wanted to not be filmed. (It could have been used against her in court!!!)
RedBasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #152
Blackout
Sart Bimpson

she gulty yo
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #153
flytrapp
Forum Regular

I truly believe Paul is innocent. As for Mary, I don't know about her direct involvement....but I do know that the entire cased started as a direct result of her ho-bag ass cheating on her husband. If she didn't do that, the letters wouldn't have been sent, no one would have been out to get anyone else, no one would have died, no one would have gone to jail. So, Circleville has Mary to thank for being a wh0re and ruining so many lives.
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #154
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp
I truly believe Paul is innocent. As for Mary, I don't know about her direct involvement....but I do know that the entire cased started as a direct result of her ho-bag ass cheating on her husband. If she didn't do that, the letters wouldn't have been sent, no one would have been out to get anyone else, no one would have died, no one would have gone to jail. So, Circleville has Mary to thank for being a wh0re and ruining so many lives.
If the logic is that Mary Gillespie is responsible for "starting" the letter campaign, it follows that the unnamed superintendent shares that "responsibility" as well.

Of course, it makes absolutely no sense to blame someone else for the actions of others in the first place, so that's kind of a moot point.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #155
flytrapp
Forum Regular

I was just poking fun at Mary. I have a very dry sense of humour.
However, on a serious note, speaking of the superintendent, does anyone know if (or if the segment mentioned) he was married as well? I remember reading somewhere that some expert concluded that the letters were likely written by a woman....maybe a passive aggressive way to get Mary to leave the writer's husband alone?
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #156
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp
However, on a serious note, speaking of the superintendent, does anyone know if (or if the segment mentioned) he was married as well? I remember reading somewhere that some expert concluded that the letters were likely written by a woman....maybe a passive aggressive way to get Mary to leave the writer's husband alone?
I've never even read or heard the superintendent's name, but I would be curious to know if he was married as well. I would also like to know how it was concluded the letters were written by a woman. There are so many weird subtleties to this case, aren't there?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #157
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I've never even read or heard the superintendent's name, but I would be curious to know if he was married as well. I would also like to know how it was concluded the letters were written by a woman. There are so many weird subtleties to this case, aren't there?
The biggest oddity about this case, IMO, is when the Gillespie's and Freshour's wrote a letter to the person they thought was responsible for the initial letters saying something to the effect of, "we know who you are, please stop writing the letters", and then the letters all of a sudden stopped for a short time. Wouldn't this person be the prime suspect instead of Freshour? Baffles my mind how the focus went away from the "mystery writer" and shifted to Freshour.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #158
Dazinho
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The biggest oddity about this case, IMO, is when the Gillespie's and Freshour's wrote a letter to the person they thought was responsible for the initial letters saying something to the effect of, "we know who you are, please stop writing the letters", and then the letters all of a sudden stopped for a short time. Wouldn't this person be the prime suspect instead of Freshour? Baffles my mind how the focus went away from the "mystery writer" and shifted to Freshour.
It's indeed an interesting part of the case, and I'd be curious to know as to who came up with the idea to write the letter and had to persuade others to join in. I'm not ruling anything else out, including the idea that Mary had some sort of hand in her fella's death, and used the letters as a method by which to muddy the waters.

I'm firmly of the view that Paul Freshour is innocent - I just can't see a motive for him having being the letter writer, and it's quite apparent that the booby trap was specifically designed NOT to kill anyone. Why would Freshour use a gun that could be easily traced back to him in that circumstance? What does he gain in return for the near-certainty of a lengthy prison sentence?

I've read some of the lengthy document submitted by Paul on the matter, and while it pretty much re-enforces my existing view I don't think he does himself any favours by conducting a post-mortem of local tittle-tattle. Much better posing the question that many others on here have - why on earth would I/he have done it?

An embittered ex/woman scorned is also capable of doing enormous harm to a former partner without thinking of the consequences, or certainly the gravity of them. The fact that she and Mary lived together is at least of great interest.
Dazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #159
scc1222
Forum Regular

Let's remember that these are 2 separate incidents,spaced yrs apart,iirc.
The motives and circumstances appear to be different,as do the letter writers,imo.

The Gillespie death being the first incident,and then later on,the set-up of Paul Freshour.

I do think Mary and the super. were in together on her husb.'s death.
But they would have little reason,since they got away with it...to set up Paul,together,many yrs later.

Yes,interesting Paul's ex and Mary lived together.They were good friends.I think Mary helped her after their divorce,to set up Paul,in order to help her get custody of the kids,the house,and...she also got ALL of his pension.I think she was an angry woman after Paul hired a P.I.,proved she was cheating on him,and lost everything,inc. the house and kids.(a little research proves this true).

Also,notice the letters to Paul in prison appear to be from his angry ex,rather than from the person who was taunting Mary and her hub about her affair
...'I told you when we set them up,they stay set up"...etc.IOW- the writer admits lying,isn't recanting,and ..he ain't gettin' out!

Once Paul was convicted,his ex got the house,full custody of the kids,his pension (that's why he had no money for a lawyer).She had motivation,plenty of it.So,yea..2 separate incidents and reasons,and 2 separate letter writers.Spaced out by a number of yrs.

Paul's reason for coming on the show? Not only to get justice for his late bro- in-law and friend...but for revenge (and rightly so) on Mary for her part (and her testimony) in setting him up.
JMO.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #160
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc1222
Let's remember that these are 2 separate incidents,spaced yrs apart,iirc.
The motives and circumstances appear to be different,as do the letter writers,imo.

The Gillespie death being the first incident,and then later on,the set-up of Paul Freshour.
I totally agree with your assessment. That's something that I've had a little feeling about for a couple of years.

Quote:
Paul's reason for coming on the show? Not only to get justice for his late bro- in-law and friend...but for revenge (and rightly so) on Mary for her part (and her testimony) in setting him up.
JMO.
That statement Paul made toward the end of the segment about the Gillespies not being his family anymore--"that's my past and I'm not even going to look back at it"--I always found curious. Like there's just a touch of resentment there. That would make sense in light of your take on it. I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of Mary and the superintendent being responsible for Ron's death, but it is very interesting given Paul's desire to see the investigation into Ron's death reopened, having personally experienced a set-up himself.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #161
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:

That statement Paul made toward the end of the segment about the Gillespies not being his family anymore--"that's my past and I'm not even going to look back at it"--I always found curious.
I would have to go back and watch,but I thought he was talking about his ex-wife there.Could have inc. the Gillespies, as far as moving on goes,but he then went on to say he had a new family and a new future.I took it to mean he had a new lady friend in his life,and that he wanted his ex and or the audience to know he wasn't trying to clear his name in an attempt to get her back,that he really wanted his bro in law's death looked into.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #162
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler

Is Mary Gillespie still alive?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #163
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlerSparkler
Is Mary Gillespie still alive?

Yes.
Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #164
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFresh
For those of you who would like to see the case re-opened, it has been. Infact, to my knowledge, it will be featured on a cold case program some time in the near future. The investigators for the show have been looking into pieces of the investigation that would completely clear my uncles name (including the man in the el camino). I know they've continued to do interviews and look at evidence. I'm not sure when everything will be wrapped up, but I'm waiting for the day when his name will be completely cleared.
Well, this never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Here's my two cents:

I don't think anyone of the Freshour/Gillespie family took the first few initial letters that seriously. Obviously, Mary Gillespie denied the affair and didn't admit to having one until AFTER the letters began ( ). I think they sent some letters to the man they suspected was the writer, all the while thinking it was more of a "game" than anything serious at that point. IIRC, the UM segment says the letters stopped for awhile after they mailed their letter to the person they suspected as the CW. Which seems to me that there's a good indication that the person they suspected truely was the "original" CW, or else he would have wrote back or reached out to them denying writing the letters. I think Ron Gillespie's death was truely an accident. I think he was drinking heavily on the night he died (the fact that his family says he left sober could be another case of a grieving family not wanting to accept the truth) when he got the phone call from the "suspect" whom received the letters from the Gillespie's & the Freshour's.

I think the "suspect" again called out the affair (this time over the phone instead of writing to Ron) and may have threatened Ron or his family. Ron, intoxicated and furious, left the house and died when his car crashed. A lot has been made on the fact that his gun was fired that night and I really don't have an explanation other than a possible misfire when he collided with the tree, or he may have fired it accidentally because he was intoxicated, I don't think we'll ever know the true reason behind the gun being fired. A couple of years after Ron's death, Paul and his wife seperated and eventually got divorced. I tend to think Paul's wife may have attempted to "set up" Freshour as the writer, and may have possibly had help from Mary Gillespie.

Who else, other than Paul Freshour, would have had access to Paul's gun? His wife. Who would want an affair to end involving their sister-in-law cheating on their brother? Paul's wife. Paul's wife, IMO, has a better motive in committing these crimes than Paul did. I think it's entirely possible that in an effort to frame Paul, she half-assed an attempt at rubbing the serial number off of the gun (knowing that it would be traced back to Paul) and had someone set up this crude booby trap (possibly even Mary Gillespie herself making up the story of "discovering" it), knowing it wouldn't go off, only to frame Paul. That really is the bottom line on the booby trap. Whoever set it up (due to its "crude" nature), obviously knew it was entirely possible that it wouldn't have went off and shot Mary (or it could have been discovered by an innocent bystander who was killed), so their main motive in setting the trap, IMHO, was not to kill Mary Gillespie, but to frame Paul Freshour. And again, who would have a motive in doing this? Paul's wife.

This is essentially what I have theorized has happened. I do think there was more than one CW, and that the townspeople used the CW moniker as a way to spread gossip about one another in the town. I do think the man who was initially suspected by the Gillespie's was in fact the original CW, and may very well have been the one sending more of the letters after Paul was incarcerated. I think the reason that there is a lack of interest in "solving" or updating this case is because Ron's death has been classified an accident and closed and the letters have ceased, so in the minds of LE in Circleville this case is closed. I just don't think (other than the initial letters the Gillespie's and Freshour's wrote to their "suspect") Paul Freshour had ANY involvement in writing any of the letters. The motive for him to have done so is nonexistent.
DING! DING! DING!
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #165
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Well, this never happened.

DING! DING! DING!

If there's any doubt, all anyone has to do is refer to Mary's interview on Unsolved Mysteries.
Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote