Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

M*A*S*H links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / M*A*S*H Photo Gallery

M*A*S*H - Season 1

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 1 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 2

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 2 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 3

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 3 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 4

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 4 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 5

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 5 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 6

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 6 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 7

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 7 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 8

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 8 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 9

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 9 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 10

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 10 on DVD
M*A*S*H - Season 11

Buy M*A*S*H - Season 11 on DVD
M*A*S*H - The Complete Series - Martinis and Medicine Collection

Buy M*A*S*H - The Complete Series - Martinis and Medicine Collection on DVD
M*A*S*H - Goodbye, Farewell and Amen (3-Disc Extras Set)

Buy M*A*S*H - Goodbye, Farewell and Amen (3-Disc Extras Set) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > M*A*S*H

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #31
king of comedy

David Ogden Stiers was a way better actor and Charles was a much better character than Frank. I'll take Charles to save my life than Frank.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 AM   #32
caladon

Since we're on the subject of Charles and Frank, why did their characters have the rank of Major when neither one was a career officer. Hawkeye, Trapper and BJ being Captains made sense; they were doctors and the lowest functioning rank was Captain. Comedy show aside, it's doubtful either Frank or Charles would've been Majors.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #33
Alan Brady's Hair

I think the ranks may have come from age and experience. Potter had his military experience, Henry and Frank had established civilian practices, and Charles is a clearly established surgeon at Boston General. I don't think we learn anything that definite about the captains, so can assume they're fairly inexperienced doctors when drafted.

With that experience comes age, and it seems likely that Henry, Frank, and Charles all served in WWII. Actually, the captains may have, too, although not as doctors. I think they probably wiped that slate clean because someone like Frank looks a lot better if you find out he was operating during the Battle of the Bulge.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #34
Doug-oh
Doug-oh
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I didn't know he sttuters! So when he was on "THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW" he wasn't just pretending to.

(James Earl Jones does too, BTW)
He really stuttered there.
Doug-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
Doug-oh
Doug-oh
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
David Ogden Stiers was a way better actor and Charles was a much better character than Frank. I'll take Charles to save my life than Frank.
A great actor, yes, but the scripts by then were really starting to weaken.
Though there were some less-than-stellar early eps., there were far more lesser-quality eps. after Radar left (even before).
Old 10-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #36
Doug-oh
Doug-oh
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
Since we're on the subject of Charles and Frank, why did their characters have the rank of Major when neither one was a career officer. Hawkeye, Trapper and BJ being Captains made sense; they were doctors and the lowest functioning rank was Captain. Comedy show aside, it's doubtful either Frank or Charles would've been Majors.
That's true.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #37
Doug-oh
Doug-oh
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Man
Also, no one has acknowledged my point that Charles's character was actually often written to do nice things for self-absorbed or family absorbed reasons. The character was written to be a better surgeon but personally mostly every bit the prig Frank was. Charles was meaner to Mulcahy than Frank was (courtesy of the writers).
True.
Chas. was more dismissive of Mulcahy, like the good father, being a priest, wasn't "equal" to the "Man of Medicine."

Charles' character was one of the most greedy & self-centered ever to appear on TV.

Quote:
Frank's character was written worse than Charles's. The lines Linville often uttered, if spoken by a lesser actor, would have seemed vastly inferior! Most of David Ogden Stier's lines were great no matter who said them! In other words if Mash was transplated to say the stage and Frank Burns was written the same way there as he was on tv he would most likely seem intolerable, foolish and harrassing to the audience as well as those in the play because a definitely lesser actor would be playing. (Forget Robert Duvall making it well as Frank Burns as his Frank was written to be very tough) But if that Mash stage play also included Charles (written with some of the great lines he had on tv and also as a successful Harvard-educated blueblood surgeon) the character would probably score big with the audience as Charles was written better than Frank on tv but played slightly inferiorly in that medium!
I like Frank's character better & prefer the first 5 seasons.
However, Frank & Charles were far different characters.
I wouldn't invest so much time debating and arguing about them.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #38
Alan Brady's Hair

To what I wrote above, I wanted to add that if the bad guys outrank the good guys, that makes the good guys courageous rebels. Never mind that nobody of higher rank ever actually does anything with their authority.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:04 AM   #39
Edward216

I didn't like Frank or Charles (But then neither of them was supposed to be likable). But I'd say I hated Charles more. He was a rich snob into "culture", fancy foods, and opera, and classical music and stuff like that. I hate all of that. Just give me a cheeseburger and country music any day LOL. Even though Frank wasn't likable I feel he was more relatable in some ways. But I think not liking Charles also has to do with the actor for me. I haven't liked David Ogden Stiers in anything I've seen him in. Anything. I'm not sure how to describe it but I just don't like the man or his acting style.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #40
king of comedy

But there were things Charles did that Frank never would have thought of. Charles hated the war. Frank loved the war. Charles cared more about his patients. He helped a soldier who is concert pianest played music with his good hand. Frank would never done anything like that. He gave candy to some orphans even though it helped got cabbage. He helped get an orphan baby girl to a monastary. Now and than he played jokes instead of always being the butt of them. Frank was a cartoon while Charles was more flesh and blood. I'm glad that Frank was gone. Five years of him was enough.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #41
Best Man
Forum Regular

Quote:
But there were things Charles did that Frank never would have thought of. Charles hated the war. Frank loved the war. Charles cared more about his patients. He helped a soldier who is concert pianest played music with his good hand. Frank would never done anything like that. He gave candy to some orphans even though it helped got cabbage. He helped get an orphan baby girl to a monastary. Now and than he played jokes instead of always being the butt of them. Frank was a cartoon while Charles was more flesh and blood. I'm glad that Frank was gone. Five years of him was enough.
Big deal! It was all merely scripted for Charles to do those things. Charles was also scripted with genuinely, appalling unlikable snob moments too.

Furthermore, it was 100% appropriate to stop Kim II Sung from taking South Korea by invasion (something the real life leader never mentioned on Mash just pestered Joe Stalin for permission to do and thus start the war--see my earlier threads). It was not actually wrong of Frank to be scripted to be proud to be there stopping Sung. I started this correct thread and I stand by my earlier words over 10 years later!
Best Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #42
king of comedy

Quote:
Big deal! It was all merely scripted for Charles to do those things. Charles was also scripted with genuinely, appalling unlikable snob moments too.

Furthermore, it was 100% appropriate to stop Kim II Sung from taking South Korea by invasion (something the real life leader never mentioned on Mash just pestered Joe Stalin for permission to do and thus start the war--see my earlier threads). It was not actually wrong of Frank to be scripted to be proud to be there stopping Sung. I started this correct thread and I stand by my earlier words over 10 years later!
I respect your opinion. But aren't we all human? He was still better than Frank and he was likeable. I hated Frank. Frank was an a-hole but Charles was more human where Frank was a cartoon.This is my opinion.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #43
Best Man
Forum Regular

Quote:
I respect your opinion. But aren't we all human? He was still better than Frank and he was likeable. I hated Frank. Frank was an a-hole but Charles was more human where Frank was a cartoon.This is my opinion.
Barely my opinion. The show was scripted! And I for one didn't like Charles! Neither did quite a few other viewers. And Frank was the one to point out that if they (the US) left South Korea the communists would take over. So his character was scripted to be politically knowledgeable. Charles was never written to also demonstrate this same political understanding.The writers made Charles so that he was way too much in business just for himself. And occasionally CEW was was written to be a real jerk himself.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #44
Best Man
Forum Regular

Remember and/or realize, please, what I wrote about the real life Kim II Sung.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #45
BeatleMoe
Forum Regular

To me, after Radar left the show, all of the characters were unified. Charles was still snobby but the character seemed to get along with everyone much better. It was as if the show had no antagonist anymore. I loved Larry Linville and David Stiers in their own merits. I loved how Charles was written in his first two seasons the most. It’s a shame Stiers wasn’t ever nominated for an Emmy. His performances in Morale Victory and The Life You Save were amazing.