Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #16
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn View Post
This case is the subject of my next blog. I'm talking in-depth with Chance's mother and you'll be surprised at what she has to say.
I am eager to read this! CrystalDawn you are a true UM superfan, thank you! I really appreciate the one you wrote about Dale Kerstetter.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #17
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn View Post
This case is the subject of my next blog. I'm talking in-depth with Chance's mother and you'll be surprised at what she has to say.
My curiosity is piqued. And.. I hope this will shed some light on the darkness that is this case.

My guess here.. I don't think she has flowing things to say about Dub.. But, I'm going to be very surprised if she thinks he did this after all this time. She was married to the man.. So, perhaps she'd know better than us.. But, if she thinks he could just disappear to Mexico with Chance, and Chance wouldn't ever try to contact her.. I'm really curious to hear what leads her to that conclusion.
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #18
Mike82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp View Post
Crystal Dawn, I'm sure you posted it somewhere here, but would you mind posting again the link or location to your blog?

Btw, there is a 1997 unsolved disappearance is Nova Scotia, Canada of a woman named Crystal Dawn. Her last name is Jack. Crystal Dawn, have you been hiding in plain sight?
One thing I can say for sure is that Chance moved to Nova Scotia and became Mike82 on this forum. The resemblance to my school pictures at the same age he went missing are uncanny (and no, I look nothing like it today).
Mike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #19
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichester Crowe View Post
I am eager to read this! CrystalDawn you are a true UM superfan, thank you! I really appreciate the one you wrote about Dale Kerstetter.
Thank you so much! I just came across this. I had a few other pressing articles that came up but I'm working on the Dub and Chance one now and it will be posted in the next week or two. I've been talking to Chance's mother and some new information on there!
Old 07-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #20
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
I'm working on the Dub and Chance one now and it will be posted in the next week or two. I've been talking to Chance's mother and some new information on there!
Great article on the Wackerhagen case, CD! Lots of new, albeit heartbreaking, info to read.

First off, my heart absolutely breaks for Chance's mom, Gaye. Just reading CD's post makes me feel Gaye's heartache, love, guilt, and regret. I can't imagine what this last few decades must have been like for her.

As for the case, I have more questions than ever now. Did we know that Latricia was shot in bed? If we did, I either missed that or totally glossed over it. The fact that she was shot so many times shows it was a crime of passion. It was rage overkill. The fact that she was in her bed tells me she didn't see it coming at all.

That begs the question, how the hell are Dub and Chance involved? I firmly believe now that they are victims and were killed at the scene or shortly after Latricia was killed. The logical scenario is that Latricia's ex showed up to kill her, and Dub and Chance were already there or arrived home after but had already seen too much. I think they are innocent bystander victims in this story.

But why are Chance's footprints in the blood near Latricia? Why weren't all of them killed and left right there? Obviously the killer didn't try to hide Latricia's murder, so why remove Dub and Chance? The only thing I can come up with is that he thought by doing so he could frame Dub, and I guess that worked at least for a while. However, if it was to frame him, why leave his wallet, checkbook, etc. there? You would think the killer could have left it more ambiguous which would make Dub look more guilty. It also sounds like the amount of blood was WAY more than originally advertised, which definitely screams that Dub and Chance were victims.

Sadly, I think this is yet another case of SSTLEIS -- Sh**** Small Town Law Enforcement Investigation Syndrome. They didn't know what they were doing, zeroed in on the most obvious suspect, missed significant clues, and now will probably never solve this case.

I hope that at least Chance's remains can be found to give poor Gaye some closure, but sadly I doubt that will ever happen.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #21
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
Great article on the Wackerhagen case, CD! Lots of new, albeit heartbreaking, info to read.

First off, my heart absolutely breaks for Chance's mom, Gaye. Just reading CD's post makes me feel Gaye's heartache, love, guilt, and regret. I can't imagine what this last few decades must have been like for her.

As for the case, I have more questions than ever now. Did we know that Latricia was shot in bed? If we did, I either missed that or totally glossed over it. The fact that she was shot so many times shows it was a crime of passion. It was rage overkill. The fact that she was in her bed tells me she didn't see it coming at all.

That begs the question, how the hell are Dub and Chance involved? I firmly believe now that they are victims and were killed at the scene or shortly after Latricia was killed. The logical scenario is that Latricia's ex showed up to kill her, and Dub and Chance were already there or arrived home after but had already seen too much. I think they are innocent bystander victims in this story.

But why are Chance's footprints in the blood near Latricia? Why weren't all of them killed and left right there? Obviously the killer didn't try to hide Latricia's murder, so why remove Dub and Chance? The only thing I can come up with is that he thought by doing so he could frame Dub, and I guess that worked at least for a while. However, if it was to frame him, why leave his wallet, checkbook, etc. there? You would think the killer could have left it more ambiguous which would make Dub look more guilty. It also sounds like the amount of blood was WAY more than originally advertised, which definitely screams that Dub and Chance were victims.

Sadly, I think this is yet another case of SSTLEIS -- Sh**** Small Town Law Enforcement Investigation Syndrome. They didn't know what they were doing, zeroed in on the most obvious suspect, missed significant clues, and now will probably never solve this case.

I hope that at least Chance's remains can be found to give poor Gaye some closure, but sadly I doubt that will ever happen.
First off, I LOVED what you said about feeling Gaye's pain. It was a very difficult story to write but I wanted people to feel the sadness of the case and everything Gaye goes through on a daily basis.

Yes I agree Todd! She was shot 6 times in bed, while she slept, sounds like a rage killing not something Dub did in the heat of an argument like they wanted you to believe.

Another thing that surprised me was that Latricia's house was very isolated at the end of a dead end road in the country. I was curious why the ex would admit to going to her house the day she was shot. The Ranger's theory was that he would have had to drive by a few neighbor's houses so he admitted to that in case they reported seeing his vehicle.

I agree, that he took Dub and Chance with them (possibly at gunpoint) and if you think about it, it worked perfectly. More than 20 years go by until he's even given a second look.

Here's the article if anyone wants to read it: https://lostnfoundblogs.com/f/dub-ch...last-christmas
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #22
WoodBooger
Frequent Poster

I wonder if modern DNA test could shine a light on whose blood it was all over the Christmas presents in the back of the truck? Back then they told Gaye that the blood was from two people who were related.
WoodBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBooger View Post
I wonder if modern DNA test could shine a light on whose blood it was all over the Christmas presents in the back of the truck? Back then they told Gaye that the blood was from two people who were related.
If I remember correctly, it's come out that at least some of the blood in the back belonged to Dub, which is why they've switched to thinking he's a victim, now.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #24
WoodBooger
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83 View Post
If I remember correctly, it's come out that at least some of the blood in the back belonged to Dub, which is why they've switched to thinking he's a victim, now.
Thanks for the update.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #25
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I can see, if the evidence was preserved, running it to confirm things, but I would be absolutely shocked if it came back any other way than being Chance and Dub.

The part that I wasn't aware of.. Dub had a cell phone in his truck? I'm certain the timeframe has passed for getting those records, but the cell tower pings would probably have given an area to search or at least a direction. Seems pretty likely that the truck was used to transport them (or their bodies, at least) and subpoenaing the cell tower records would likely give at least a general area that the vehicle was in or direction it was traveling to.

back in the early 90's, there weren't as many towers, but since the truck was found in Austin proper.. That area likely would have had decent cell coverage, at least in the city.. So, they would have been able to tell where the truck came from into the city at least before winding up where it was found.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #26
WoodBooger
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can see, if the evidence was preserved, running it to confirm things, but I would be absolutely shocked if it came back any other way than being Chance and Dub.

The part that I wasn't aware of.. Dub had a cell phone in his truck? I'm certain the timeframe has passed for getting those records, but the cell tower pings would probably have given an area to search or at least a direction. Seems pretty likely that the truck was used to transport them (or their bodies, at least) and subpoenaing the cell tower records would likely give at least a general area that the vehicle was in or direction it was traveling to.

back in the early 90's, there weren't as many towers, but since the truck was found in Austin proper.. That area likely would have had decent cell coverage, at least in the city.. So, they would have been able to tell where the truck came from into the city at least before winding up where it was found.
Also my question if this was merely a robbery turned murder why were the Christmas presents still wrapped? If you are hurting that bad financially that you are willing to murder someone wouldn't you unwrap the presents and pawn them off if you could?
Old 07-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #27
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Also my question if this was merely a robbery turned murder why were the Christmas presents still wrapped? If you are hurting that bad financially that you are willing to murder someone wouldn't you unwrap the presents and pawn them off if you could?
There's no way this was a robbery. Latricia was shot dead in her sleep multiple times. That was a crime of passion all the way. Why overkill her and remove Dub and Chance if it was just a robbery? Plus Dub's wallet was found in his truck and I don't think anything was missing from the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18
The part that I wasn't aware of.. Dub had a cell phone in his truck? I'm certain the timeframe has passed for getting those records, but the cell tower pings would probably have given an area to search or at least a direction.
That's a good idea and I hope that was run down by LE. I have my doubts how effective that would be though. 1993 was still pretty early in the cellular game, and I wonder how much or how accurately you could use cell technology to track someone, especially considering Latricia lived out in the sticks.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #28
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
That's a good idea and I hope that was run down by LE. I have my doubts how effective that would be though. 1993 was still pretty early in the cellular game, and I wonder how much or how accurately you could use cell technology to track someone, especially considering Latricia lived out in the sticks.
Depends on the number of towers. Have to have at least 3 for triangulation.. I think it's certainly possible that at that time, in a fairly major city such as Austin that it would have been possible. However.. You also have to consider that, as you said, it was pretty early in the cellular timeframe and there were nowhere near as many towers as there are now.

Plus, the fact that using them to triangulate a signal was, at best, a very new concept. And if this was a cell phone mounted in the vehicle, it's also possible that it was only on when the vehicle was on.

Have to remember, this is after the 'bag phones' of the 80's.. but it was also still a totally analog network, I believe.

Based on the indications that I get of the poor investigation done.. I highly doubt those records were obtained.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
WoodBooger
Frequent Poster

Quote:
There's no way this was a robbery. Latricia was shot dead in her sleep multiple times. That was a crime of passion all the way.
That's very true
Old 07-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #30
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Judging by some of the posts in this thread, I’m starting to think I’m in the minority here, because I think Dub is the most likely perp. As others have pointed out, the shooting of Latricia bears all the hallmarks of a personal crime. It seems very unlikely a burglar would repeatedly shoot a woman in her bed, then leave after not taking anything. It also seems unlikely that a burglar would go to the trouble of taking Dub and Chance somewhere else to kill them, rather than just taking the simple approach and killing them at the scene.

Plus, we know that Latricia and Dub had a very contentious relationship with her alleging that Dub abused her. With all the evidence pointing to her death being a crime of passion and anger, it’s not hard to see how this points towards Dub even more. Crimes like these tend to be overwhelmingly perpetrated by a controlling, vengeful spouse or lover.

My theory is that Dub killed Latricia, then at some point, he went out into the woods or the wilderness, something like that, killed Chance and buried him, before turning the gun on himself. I can see it happening. Dub was very possessive and protective towards his son, and maybe he killed Chance rather than let him fall into someone else’s hands, justifying it as an act of mercy. As to why he killed himself afterward, the reasoning is quite obvious.

If Dub did all this, it’s not too far-fetched for the bodies to have not been found yet. As anyone will tell you, searching for a body out in the woods is like...well, I’d say it’s like a needle in a haystack, but in that scenario, you can just burn the hay and claim your needle right then and there. Probably can’t do that when searching the wilderness for someone.

The elements and wildlife can make short work of remains, reducing them to bones and scattering what’s left. Rain and snow play their parts and before long, it’s really hard to find much of anything.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote