Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes
ABC 2019 Holiday Specials and Episodes; E! Sets Date for Reality Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #166
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook View Post
I'm starting to suspect that she may be the culprit after all.
Come to think of it, Rob doesn't have a solid alibi for the time of Dick's murder...
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #167
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
Come to think of it, Rob doesn't have a solid alibi for the time of Dick's murder...

EDIT: Oh, I just caught your sarcasm. For whatever reason I thought you were mentioning Robin from his podcast. Hilarious.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #168
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, I just caught your sarcasm. For whatever reason I thought you were mentioning Robin from his podcast. Hilarious.
I was hoping you’d appreciate that!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #169
freakbook

Quote:
I was hoping you’d appreciate that!

It was a slow moment for sure
Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #170
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
I wonder what LooksLikeCRicci will think of that angle
Old 07-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #171
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83 View Post
I wonder what LooksLikeCRicci will think of that angle
I really feel compelled to have a "Rob did it" shirt at this point.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #172
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
I really feel compelled to have a "Rob did it" shirt at this point.

Same
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #173
MegtheEgg86

I listened to Robin's podcast on this one yesterday morning getting ready for work. I guess I never really thought about the differences between the UM and Dates From Hell episodes. The potential of the latter taking liberal artistic license is certainly annoying--and if that little altercation about "not visiting me in rehab" is an exaggeration or outright fabrication, that's insulting to Dick. In any event, I do appreciate the episode for the additional context it provides the 49ers theory through the revelation that Dick was often mistaken for Harris Barton and the backstory regarding that previous Super Bowl. I'm not sure many of us would've been able to come to any of those conclusions on our own.

If there's any validity to the disgruntled fan theory, the perpetrator would've almost certainly had to have seen Dick earlier in the night, followed the pair throughout whatever remainder of the evening existed, and pursued the pair back to Dick's truck. People are generally pretty unaware of their surroundings--especially when they're with other people--so I'm not sure I would expect either Dick or Jean to have noticed they were being watched and/or followed prior to the man pulling up behind them. But I do think it's somewhat remarkable.

I also find it interesting that, if the man had a suspicion that Dick was Harris Barton, that he chose not to contact Dick and Jean on the street at the mailbox. He trailed them for over ten miles first, and even after being contacted by Dick when they all pulled over in Sunnyvale, he never once exited his vehicle. The way he behaved was actually characteristically rather passive. Perhaps that had something to do with Dick's physical stature, but obviously the perpetrator was armed. So that's something I have questions about: why stalk a couple of people, but wait for them to realize it and then force them into a position that they come TO you?

As Robin said on TTWC episode, it's probably ultimately a little difficult to apply logic to such a case. But this guy's behavior was remarkably bizarre.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #174
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
I listened to Robin's podcast on this one yesterday morning getting ready for work. I guess I never really thought about the differences between the UM and Dates From Hell episodes. The potential of the latter taking liberal artistic license is certainly annoying--and if that little altercation about "not visiting me in rehab" is an exaggeration or outright fabrication, that's insulting to Dick. In any event, I do appreciate the episode for the additional context it provides the 49ers theory through the revelation that Dick was often mistaken for Harris Barton and the backstory regarding that previous Super Bowl. I'm not sure many of us would've been able to come to any of those conclusions on our own.

If there's any validity to the disgruntled fan theory, the perpetrator would've almost certainly had to have seen Dick earlier in the night, followed the pair throughout whatever remainder of the evening existed, and pursued the pair back to Dick's truck. People are generally pretty unaware of their surroundings--especially when they're with other people--so I'm not sure I would expect either Dick or Jean to have noticed they were being watched and/or followed prior to the man pulling up behind them. But I do think it's somewhat remarkable.

I also find it interesting that, if the man had a suspicion that Dick was Harris Barton, that he chose not to contact Dick and Jean on the street at the mailbox. He trailed them for over ten miles first, and even after being contacted by Dick when they all pulled over in Sunnyvale, he never once exited his vehicle. The way he behaved was actually characteristically rather passive. Perhaps that had something to do with Dick's physical stature, but obviously the perpetrator was armed. So that's something I have questions about: why stalk a couple of people, but wait for them to realize it and then force them into a position that they come TO you?

As Robin said on TTWC episode, it's probably ultimately a little difficult to apply logic to such a case. But this guy's behavior was remarkably bizarre.
Something to keep in mind though, is that in the DFH episode she said that Dick asked her why she didn't visit him in rehab, then he started drinking and became loud and abusive. He was even being rude to the server. His loud behavior would certainly draw attention to someone, so I'm wondering if the perp was someone in the restaurant who had a hero complex and thought he'd follow them to make sure that Jane wasn't hurt. The 49er theory isn't bad, but if Dick was being loud and abusive then we could've had a vigilante on our hands. Perhaps he followed them and allowed himself to remain hidden was to see if Dick would put his hands on or yell at Jane again.

Something else I'd like to point out is WHY WOULD JANE CONTINUE TO GO WITH DICK?! After she said that he was being loud and abusive, why in the world would she agree to still go with him? Weird.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #175
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I'm not sure what to make of the "Dates from Hell" segment. I hate those kind of shows with the cheesy reenactments and the overly dramatic acting. Since Jean was on the show, I have to believe most of what they said is correct or you'd think she would have told them to fix it. They certainly tried to play up the extra relationship drama. I don't doubt that UM left a few things out, but I'm curious why Jean would bring that up later. It honestly doesn't seem relevant to the killing unless in hindsight she thinks something at the restaurant started this.

What's interesting is when the Jean actress said "That's the guy from the restaurant." So they are heavily implying that this started earlier and that Jean and Dick were followed. I tend to agree with that.

The more I think about it, the more I discount the mistaken 49er theory. It would be a lot to kill someone just over that, and I still think Jean was more the source of his rage. If he was pointing at her car, then he was mad at her or something she had done (in the car or before).

I think this was just a random killing over some dumb act. The killer either got worked up into a rage and went too far, or when confronted by Dick, he got scared and shot him out of self-defense (in his own mind).

I think we can all agree that the wig Jean wore in DFH was the worst disguise ever...
Old 07-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #176
freakbook

Quote:
I still think Jean was more the source of his rage. If he was pointing at her car, then he was mad at her or something she had done (in the car or before).
Why would he be mad at Jean? And if he was really mad at Jean he had an opportunity to kill her after he killed Dick and apparently stared at her before pulling off.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #177
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Why would he be mad at Jean? And if he was really mad at Jean he had an opportunity to kill her after he killed Dick and apparently stared at her before pulling off.
My guess is that he was more annoyed or irritated than deathly mad. I see this as a road rage type of thing. It may have been true road rage from something Jean did on the road or in the parking lot, or he may have been pissed from something they did in the restaurant.

My best guess is that he was mad and just messing with them. I've had people follow me before on the road a couple times. Once for no reason that I knew of, and once because I accidentally cut a guy off and he was a psycho. I never knew what their end game was. The first one that followed me eventually gave up and the second guy was all over my rear end until I pulled into the police station parking lot and then he took off. I think this guy was the type who wanted to follow her and try and scare her for "offending" him. I don't think he ever meant to harm them (at least not murder them).

I think when Dick went back to talk to him, he said "That b**** cut me off" or whatever, and Dick said "Get the f*** out of here!" The guy probably panicked and shot Dick because he thought he was about to get his ass kicked by a giant, muscular dude.

I may be off base, but I think this was a dumb situation that escalated and I think he wanted to scare Jean but probably never meant to kill anyone. That's why he didn't kill her when he had the chance. He left a witness but he was probably more scared and realized it wasn't worth it. The killer knew he shot Dick but he wouldn't have known he was dead right away, so in his mind he left two living witnesses.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:38 PM   #178
freakbook

Quote:
My guess is that he was more annoyed or irritated than deathly mad. I see this as a road rage type of thing. It may have been true road rage from something Jean did on the road or in the parking lot, or he may have been pissed from something they did in the restaurant.

My best guess is that he was mad and just messing with them. I've had people follow me before on the road a couple times. Once for no reason that I knew of, and once because I accidentally cut a guy off and he was a psycho. I never knew what their end game was. The first one that followed me eventually gave up and the second guy was all over my rear end until I pulled into the police station parking lot and then he took off. I think this guy was the type who wanted to follow her and try and scare her for "offending" him. I don't think he ever meant to harm them (at least not murder them).

I think when Dick went back to talk to him, he said "That b**** cut me off" or whatever, and Dick said "Get the f*** out of here!" The guy probably panicked and shot Dick because he thought he was about to get his ass kicked by a giant, muscular dude.

I may be off base, but I think this was a dumb situation that escalated and I think he wanted to scare Jean but probably never meant to kill anyone. That's why he didn't kill her when he had the chance. He left a witness but he was probably more scared and realized it wasn't worth it. The killer knew he shot Dick but he wouldn't have known he was dead right away, so in his mind he left two living witnesses.
The road rage theory is very plausible, very hard to argue against it. However, the "killer" seemed awfully chill for someone with road rage. He sat parked behind them two while they were talking and didn't do or say anything. Even after they all pulled over Dick came to him while he just sat there. Perhaps you're right and he just wanted to mess with them, but Dick backed away from his car and told him to get out of there so he didn't have to shoot Dick, unless it was out of anger.

Also if Jean was the one who cut him off and pissed him off why didn't he attack or shoot her after he shot dick? Jean said he sat there and stared at her for like 5 seconds before pulling off. Not only did he leave a witness, but he purposefully exposed his face to her and didn't do anything.

Granted, I have my doubts on Jean story and this "killer" as a whole, but eh...
Old 08-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #179
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
The potential of the latter taking liberal artistic license is certainly annoying--and if that little altercation about "not visiting me in rehab" is an exaggeration or outright fabrication, that's insulting to Dick. In any event, I do appreciate the episode for the additional context it provides the 49ers theory through the revelation that Dick was often mistaken for Harris Barton and the backstory regarding that previous Super Bowl. I'm not sure many of us would've been able to come to any of those conclusions on our own.
The rehab thing was legitimate. I remember reading that in an older article (which I can't find now) where Dick's father was the one who proposed the blocked mailbox theory. Jean herself is quoted in the episode as saying that they did in fact argue about her not visiting him in rehab and falling off the wagon. Even though these shows are definitely hokey with a lot of their re-enactments, I think they used this information to trick viewers into assuming that Dick was going to be the one who was the "date from Hell", when in fact, he turned out to be the victim. UM solely focused on the night of Dick's murder and not his personal background.

Dick had several friends interviewed in the episode too which said he was well known in the area, was very social, and would often be mistaken for Harris Barton. My own personal theory is as to why this wasn't mentioned in the UM segment was because they didn't want to "inspire" copy cat like killings or maybe they didn't want to identify Barton by name since he was still playing in the NFL when the segment aired.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #180
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

The other reason that I don't think this was premeditated murder is there was no face-to-face confrontation until Dick went to confront his eventual killer. If this started before the mailbox location, why didn't the killer get out and walk up to Jean and Dick when they were parked in the car? You can say because it was a more populated area, but the killer had no idea where Jean and/or Dick were headed when they drove away. They could have kept driving for a long time, split up, or driven to a police station or somewhere similar. He might never have had the chance to kill them if that's what his original intention was.

Even AFTER they pulled off the freeway and onto the road, he didn't get out of his car -- it was Dick that got out and walked over to him. That is why I really think he was just trying to scare them or intimidate them, or possibly work up the courage to be more violent. But if he really wanted one or both of them dead, why was he so passive about it? This is why I think this was more a chance encounter that pissed this guy off and set off his short fuse temper. When Dick went to talk to him, he either popped with rage or panicked that he was going to be hurt and shot Dick before driving away.