Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #61
Necco

Have y'all seen the story about this man, the North Pond Hermit? Apparently he is on the spectrum and lived virtually undetected (other than folks noticing stuff being stolen) in the woods of Maine for 27 years.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/news...st-true-hermit

I wonder if Gordon could be out there somewhere, living like this gentleman.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #62
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

According to Gordon's Charley Project page it says despite his trouble with communicating with people, he still liked swimming, playing sports, and shopping at music, antique, and memorabilia shops. It also says there is a possibility that Gordon might be working with migrant workers or as a farm hand. There's a strong indication that Gordon would in fact be able to function on his own without the aid of a group home or support system, so that ups the odds that he's alive and well greatly. Granted, he might also be homeless, because the CP page says he liked to tent in campsites. Gordon could also be suffering from some sort of memory loss, not knowing his true name or where his family lived. The one thing that causes me to think Gordon may be dead is the lack of sightings since shortly after he disappeared. There was some purported sightings of someone looking like Gordon hitch-hiking in Grand Rapids, MI, and then the baseball card collection being found under an overpass. I think the odds that this was Gordon are pretty good, since three of his favorite players were separated from the rest of the cards. But after that (I think the sightings and the cards being found were in 1991) there has been absolutely nothing. I wonder if he ever even made it out of Michigan.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #63
sprinkles
Frequent Poster

That was a really interesting article, Necco. Thanks for posting it. I would love to believe that Gordy is still alive, but I'm not sure that I believe he is in my heart. I hope so, and that he and his family are one day able to come together again. They've lost so much time apart.
sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #64
aura
Occasional Poster

I wonder what form/type of autism he had.i know autism was new. Maybe only a handful of group homes were available to autistic. Maybe being new they just didn't know how to deal with it.
Clearly,if he was picked up and put into a hospital they would know how to diagnose him for what ever they thought was wrong. (Autism was new.. there was probably a different treatment then that they were tweaking) I knew a autistic lady 12 years ago or so.She repeated the same sentence over and over it reminded me of my uncle who has schizophrenia. There are some powerful drugs out there back then. Imagine e if you took the wrong pill.
Even if Gordon was still in a hospital now he may have be misdiagnosed leading to some sort of memory loss depending on how many years of meds he took for whatever they thought he had. He knew his name and other information we saw on the tape.
You would clearly remember a guy if you picked him up. You would even notice a homeless man. *I do because I have an interst in psychiatry*
I feel for husband parents I do hope they get answers and closure.
aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #65
BobStack4ever
Occasional Poster

yes, I think the Pages seem like a nice couple, but I never understood why Gordie had to stay in Michigan while they left for Florida. Was there no facilities capable of handling him in Florida?
BobStack4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #66
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

I can't pick on the Pages, really at all. Not as much was known about Autism back then and you can see the raw pain on their faces as they talk about how they left Gordon, even after he pleaded for them not to. Yeah, you know they've spent every moment of their life regretting that decision.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #67
nikkispence1989
Podcast and calories
Frequent Poster

Sorry to bump old thread but I have just seen this on tonights show and it brought me to tears.

My dear son who is 3 in seven days, is currently under investigation for Autism. The mother said that she didnt realise that there was anything wrong with Gordy because it was her first child and it was so upsetting as the same thing happened to me. I thought Dayton was normal for a long time. He also has a special memory.

I really hope that Gordy came to no harm. Life is difficult without your family never mind with a disability as complex as Autism.

Anyone have an update of any sort?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #68
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkispence1989
Anyone have an update of any sort?
still missing, there's been no news on the case for years.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:39 AM   #69
Bluejay
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkispence1989
My dear son who is 3 in seven days, is currently under investigation for Autism. ....I thought Dayton was normal for a long time. He also has a special memory.
He is normal. He is autistic-normal, is all, you know what I mean. Some day autism won't be considered a pathology, just different. There will be more and better accommodations. Stay away from Autism Speaks... the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network is better, it's run by autistics.

There is a new book out, Neurotribes by Steve Silverman, that might help. I always tell people to read Not Even Wrong by Paul Collins about his own autistic son whom he saw as normal.

If Dayton has sensory issues try Autism Sensory Toys

If he seems to have eye trouble try irlen.com -- I don't know what I'd do without'em.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #70
marahnna
Frequent Poster

Looks like it's been a while since this has been discussed. I just saw Gordon's story again on Unsolved Mysteries today, and I wanted to see if there were any updates. It makes me sad to see some of the criticism against the Pages. As the sister of a young man who was severely developmentally disabled, I thought I could help clear something up about their situation.

First, as many have mentioned, very little was known about autism when Gordon was diagnosed. For years, his family was told he was schizophrenic. When he was finally correctly diagnosed, they still knew very little about what they were dealing with. There's nothing more difficult for a loving parent than having to send their child away, even knowing that it's best for them. My mother dealt with the agonizing decision of having to admit my brother to a pediatric nursing home when he was thirteen years old, because he was physically too big for her to be able to bathe and lift on her own, and because he required 24-7 skilled nursing care that, being a working mother to two other children, she just wasn't able to provide herself. In the end, it was the best possible decision she could have made.

When my brother was in his late twenties, my mother relocated to Florida. She wanted to bring him with her, but after a lot of searching, she couldn't find a facility that was suitable enough to care for him. Because my older brother (also in his late twenties) still lived close by to my brother's nursing home, she felt comfortable leaving any urgent or day-to-day decisions regarding my brother's care in his hands, and she visited as often as possible. I don't know what the situation is like in Tampa, where the Pages relocated to, but in South Florida, I can verify that there are few options when it comes to skilled nursing facilities. Nursing homes are somewhat scarce due to the fact that most people who relocate there have a decent amount of savings, and will usually spend that money to hire a full-time caregiver so that they can stay in their own homes. That aside, a person with autism has very different needs than an elderly individual. It would not have served Gordon well at all to be in a facility meant for geriatric patients. People with autism also thrive on routine, and it's likely that his parents thought that uprooting him, especially when he had just recently been correctly diagnosed, would have disrupted the progress he'd made and may have been traumatic for him. Lastly, the Unsolved Mysteries story mentioned that Gordon's parents had moved to Florida, but it doesn't mention whether their two other sons (who appeared to be college age in the photos show) went with them. If the other Page boys remained in the Michigan area, their parents probably felt confident in entrusting them to look in on their brother.

With regard to Gordon's fate, I'm personally not very confident that he is alive, unfortunately. Based on the sightings, I think it's most likely that he either succumbed to the elements, or ran into the wrong person, which is a situation he would have been vulnerable to, considering his condition.

I did a bit of digging around, and found Gordon Sr.'s current business page. As a former car dealer himself, it appears that he currently works as a broker to assist in buying and selling car dealerships. He was mentioned as being 55 in a newspaper article I read in 1991, so he would now be 80 years old. I sincerely hope that he and his wife are able to find out what happened to their son. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for them.
marahnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #71
EverythingNthensome
Danascully
Frequent Poster

I agree with you. The study of mental illness at the time was in its infancy, those medications that was prescribed to Gordon could had very well damaged him mentally without his parents or the doctors even realizing. Perhaps he did start acting out in ways that was probably even different for him. I have to agree with him most likely running Into foul play as well. I would like to believe He is alive, and maybe his body will be found. I'm pretty sure His father has enough guilt already with having to put him away in a home, I don't blame it on him at all.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #72
NYSleuth
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejay
He is normal. He is autistic-normal, is all, you know what I mean. Some day autism won't be considered a pathology, just different. There will be more and better accommodations. Stay away from Autism Speaks... the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network is better, it's run by autistics.

There is a new book out, Neurotribes by Steve Silverman, that might help. I always tell people to read Not Even Wrong by Paul Collins about his own autistic son whom he saw as normal.

If Dayton has sensory issues try Autism Sensory Toys

If he seems to have eye trouble try irlen.com -- I don't know what I'd do without'em.
I thank you greatly for this, as I have a child family member who is on the spectrum and her parents are having a hard time trying to figure things out.

Last edited by NYSleuth; 05-19-2016 at 08:36 PM.
NYSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #73
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Any of you who has seen the Amazon segment would have seen a new composite of Gordon who would be aged now in his 50's.

Interesting that they didn't mention anything in the update about the baseball cards that were reportedly found under a bridge near where he disappeared from.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #74
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Thanks to Amazon I got to see this segment for the first time. So sad. Got tgesry at the parts where his dad was leaving him
And at the video at the very end

Also, Gordon Page was played by actor Doug Jones. He has a long list of credits to his name including several Guillermo Del Toro movies
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #75
Bluejay
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSleuth
I thank you greatly for this, as I have a child family member who is on the spectrum and her parents are having a hard time trying to figure things out.
You are most welcome. I am glad to be able to provide information.

There's a lot of controversy today about autism but with more autistic people speaking up and writing about our experiences I'm sure she and her parents will be able to find the right road (or roads) for her.
Bluejay is offline   Reply With Quote