Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #16
Penny Lane
POL-DARK AND HANDSOME
Forum Celebrity

i was never a fan but I am very sad to hear of his death. He definitely had his own style which appealed to millions. May he rest in peace.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

I wasn't the biggest Prince fan but I enjoyed jamming to his music. He definitely had some great songs and was super talented. I can't believe he's gone.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #18
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
He was definitely a musical genius, sorry you don't agree.
I agree with you, Zoneboy. Prince was definitely a musical genius. Not only did he write his own music, but he also played every instrument on a lot of his songs. The man was truly talented and he was a huge icon of the '80s.
Wawwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
Babalu

I loved the music & movie Purple Rain but wasn't the biggest fan other than that. He was incredible on that guitar, though. Stories are now beginning to circulate that it was drugs. Shame.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #20
Foggy

R.I.P, PRINCE

I was not a super fan, but definitely like some of his music:
"Little Red Corvette", "U Got The Look"-- (didn't sing it,but wrote it), "Raspberry Beret", "When Doves Cry"
just to name a few

Did you know:

Like most albums in his career, For You was recorded without a band; Prince purportedly played all 27 instruments on the album, though they were different types of string, percussion, and keyboard instruments.

Today, I have heard he was SELF TAUGHT on these instruments.
I feel he EARNED the title MUSIC GENIUS, not only could he play the instruments, but write the music (notes) and lyrics for many songs----many that he did for other groups/people.

Definition---Genius---an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.:

Here is a website with
59 Things U Might Not Know About Prince

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/prince#.kvvjN064N

Below I will share some of them for you, that I know that I didn't know.
(Hope you will go into the site to read them all)

Quote:
1. Prince wrote his first song at the age of 7, and it was called “Funk Machine.”(...)

(...)24. Prince was deeply in love with Susannah Melvoin, the twin sister of Revolution guitarist Wendy Melvoin, through much of the mid-’80s.

25. His tortured romance with her, complicated largely by his philandering, was the basis for some of his best ballads, including “The Beautiful Ones,” “Nothing Compares 2 U,” and “Forever in My Life.” (...)

(...)30. His half-sister Lorna Nelson sued him in 1989 claiming that she wrote the lyrics for “U Got the Look,” but after a court battle, a judge sided with Prince. (...)

(...)36. Prince wrote “Manic Monday” for The Bangles.

37. And co-wrote “Stand Back” with Stevie Nicks. He also played synthesizer on the studio recording.

38. And “I Feel for You” for Chaka Khan.

39. And “Round and Round” for Tevin Campbell.

40. And “Sugar Walls” for Sheena Easton.

41. He wrote Cyndi Lauper’s hit “When You Were Mine” too. It was originally released on Dirty Mind in 1980.

42. He wrote “Nothing Compares 2 U” for The Family, but Sinead O’Connor made it a worldwide hit in 1990.

43. He played guitar on Madonna’s “Like a Prayer” but was not officially credited.

44. He also played on Kate Bush’s “Why Should I Love You?”

45. Michael Jackson wrote “Bad” with the intention of singing it as a duet with Prince, but Prince wasn’t comfortable with the lyrics and objected to the opening line, “Your butt is mine.” (...)

(...)48. Prince became a Jehovah’s Witness around 1997, and subsequently dropped his more sexually explicit material from his concerts, and avoided writing overtly sexy songs for many years.

49. Prince wanted Clerks and Chasing Amy director Kevin Smith to make a movie based on his 2001 album The Rainbow Children, but Smith dropped out after realizing the project — which included messages like “Jesus Christ is the son of God” flashing on screen — was intended to be a recruitment film for Jehovah’s Witnesses.(...)
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #21
mets82

I couldn't name 5 songs from Prince and don't know any lyrics but the guy is on that level. He was an icon and I was shocked when I heard about his death. RIP.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:08 AM   #22
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Oops! MTV accidentally plays Fresh Prince during its marathon Prince music video trib

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/mt...mar-1772376018

Fresh Prince & D.J. Jazzy Jeff’s Girls Ain’t Nothing But Trouble somehow made it into the Prince tribute rotation this afternoon. PLUS: AXS TV plans a Prince tribute, watch Prince’s first TV performance from 1980, look back at Prince’s 33-year evolution on SNL, The Simpsons captured exactly what it’s like to miss Prince, and recalling Prince’s famous SNL 40 after-party performance.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
JO Sweet Heart

Go here to watch my most favorite singer James Otto sing "Purple Rain" in memory of Prince.

God bless you and Prince's family and James always!!!

Holly

P.S. This performance was just this morning.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #24
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran

It's been hard to process that he is gone. His death has in many ways been more shocking than the passing of MJ and Whitney, as both of those deaths were indeed shocking but not entirely surprising. I never imagined Prince would leave us so early, but there is some small comfort that he avoided the Year 27 Curse that claimed his ultimate idol Jimi Hendrix all of those years ago. At least we had 30 extra years to appreciate him.
80sTrivia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #25
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

I wonder what Weird Al has to say about Prince's death?

Because during his life, Prince refused Weird Al's permission to have a parody...and he couldn't even look at Prince!

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #26
Jack Gomez
Felipe's son
Forum Regular

Devastated. That's how I feel. I've been a fan of Prince's since I was a little kid and first heard Little Red Corvette and all those other great songs he put out in the 80s. Then I became an even bigger fan in my twenties and on when I bought The Gold Experience. I was lucky to see him perform live in concert twice - 1998 and 2004. That second concert was the best concert I ever attended. Wish I saw him one more time. I can't believe he's gone. Never be another like him.
Jack Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #27
Edward216

On the contrary, Prince does sing on U Got The Look. It's a duet with Sheena Easton. Just thought I'd point that out.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #28
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Prince had an "Exceedingly High" Amount of Fentanyl when he Died
by Karen Mizoguchi
March 27, 2018

New details about Prince‘s death have been revealed.

A toxicology report from the late singer’s autopsy states the concentration of fentanyl in his blood was 67.8 micrograms per liter according to the Associated Press, which obtained the report on Monday.

Fatalities from the drug — which is estimated to be 80 times as potent as morphine and hundreds of times more potent than heroin — have been documented in people with blood levels ranging from three to 58 micrograms per liter.

The amount in Prince’s blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches,” Dr. Lewis Nelson, chairman of emergency medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, told the AP.

In addition, the toxicology report states the level of fentanyl in the Prince’s liver was 450 micrograms per kilogram and notes that liver concentrations greater than 69 micrograms per kilogram “seem to represent overdose or fatal toxicity cases.

The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office (MMEO) released all data available to the public regarding the death investigation of Prince Rogers Nelson on June 2, 2016,” the medical examiner said in a statement Tuesday. “Under Minnesota law, all other medical examiner data is considered private or nonpublic data. MMEO has not and cannot release any further information about this case.

http://ew.com/music/2018/03/27/princ...utopsy-report/
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #29
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Prince had an "Exceedingly High" Amount of Fentanyl when he Died
by Karen Mizoguchi
March 27, 2018

New details about Prince‘s death have been revealed.

A toxicology report from the late singer’s autopsy states the concentration of fentanyl in his blood was 67.8 micrograms per liter according to the Associated Press, which obtained the report on Monday.

Fatalities from the drug — which is estimated to be 80 times as potent as morphine and hundreds of times more potent than heroin — have been documented in people with blood levels ranging from three to 58 micrograms per liter.

The amount in Prince’s blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches,” Dr. Lewis Nelson, chairman of emergency medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, told the AP.

In addition, the toxicology report states the level of fentanyl in the Prince’s liver was 450 micrograms per kilogram and notes that liver concentrations greater than 69 micrograms per kilogram “seem to represent overdose or fatal toxicity cases.

The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office (MMEO) released all data available to the public regarding the death investigation of Prince Rogers Nelson on June 2, 2016,” the medical examiner said in a statement Tuesday. “Under Minnesota law, all other medical examiner data is considered private or nonpublic data. MMEO has not and cannot release any further information about this case.

http://ew.com/music/2018/03/27/princ...utopsy-report/
Isn't the sad fact here that's there's a pattern of compulsive behaviour amongst many individuals of his ilk from Kurt Cobain to Michael Jackson to Amy Winehouse and others, which may emanate from a desire not to let down fans, an often temporary or longer-lasting lack of self-belief possibly combined with thoughs of grandiosity about their own self-importance within the realm of the music industry and culminates in them ingesting a surfeit of central nervous system stimulants or calmatives or a combination of them both which results in overload of the human organs and ultimately death..
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:33 AM   #30
MA
Once Upon A Christmas
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
My orchestra conductor won't be happy, he is a big Prince fan.
What instrument do you play?

And many other guys too.

Netflix, please add Home Improvement

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen
MA is offline   Reply With Quote