Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-28-2001, 09:24 PM   #1
Bootsy Whoosh
Storms abrewin'...

Post MTV's influence on the music industry

With the 20th anniversary of MTV coming up, I thought it would be appropriate to ask: what do you think is the place of MTV in music? In other words, what are your opinions about its influence on the industry?

Personally, I do think that MTV deserves credit for what it did in the past. In the beginning it was innovative and groundbreaking, and in many ways I think it helped to expose people to artists that maybe weren't getting airtime nationally on radio. In some ways I still think it does that. There are many artists that I see on MTV first before I hear them on the radio.

However, I do think that in many ways MTV has had a negative impact on music. MTV has a lot of influence over which bands get exposure and which don't. On the other hand though, not all blame should be layed on MTV. Radio stations also get to decide what's popular, and record companies get to decide which bands they are going to aggressively promote and which ones they are going to basically ignore.

I think that any really good musician is going to over come this. Good bands will find their niche no matter what MTV says. So maybe they won't be multi-trillionaires. That not what it's supposed to be about anyway. I do think that though perhaps musicians have to work alot harder to be recognized unless they are on MTV.

I think in some ways MTV has had differemt influences over different forms of music. For example, I think that MTV has hurt rock n' roll. Rock bands out nowadays just can't hold a candle to the rock bands of the 70s. (IMHO). I doubt MTV is entirely to blame for this, but I do think it played an important role in it. For one thing, before MTV one of the interesting things about music was that you didn't know what artists look like. You had to actually go to a show to see what the artist looked like. That was part of the mystique, the intrigue. I think that also helped to insure that more talented people were on the music scene since it wasn't based on what you looked like. Also, nowadays, it's really hard to be successful unless you have enough money to make music videos, which alot of struggling artists don't have.

However, I do think that for as much damage as MTV may have done to rock music, I think they really helped to push rap and hip-hop to the forefront. (Which is not to say hip-hop wouldn't have come into its own anyway, just that I think MTV helped it along the way). In the beginning of course MTV was not friendly to rap artists, and in fact they refused to even show black artists' videos. After showing a very small handful of black musicians' videos (pop artists), MTV finally decided to show RUN DMC videos. RUN DMC were the artists who really made rap popular, but I think part of that is because of MTV. By showing videos and through shows such as Yo! MTV Raps, MTV really helped expose rap music to the world. I think MTV still plays an important role in promoting rap and hip-hop, and in that way I think MTV is good.

And of course nowadays MTV is not very good (IMO) because they have way too much non-musical programming. Then again, I don't think I'm exactly MTV's target audience. I still however do find myself enjoying the occasional MTV show, and I do enjoy some of their awards shows, which are not as stuffy as those shown on the broadcast stations.

Bootsy Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 11:07 PM   #2
Max Whittaker
I want Serenity back

I agree to almost all of what you said but I can't agree with all of it because I don't listen to MTV.

Happy anniversary MTV!!!
Max Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 11:20 PM   #3
Cokies
Head Goonie

Thumbs up

In the past, like Bootsy said, MTV has had a tremendous impact on popular music. Even the most anti-MTV people must admit that image has been a huge factor with selling music. And MTV is image. The epitome of image in music.
In the early eighties, music videos were almost an art form. And certain videos over the years have proved to be groundbreaking.
Case in point, if Michael Jackson didn't make that little music video called "Thriller", do you think he would have had half of the exposure as he would. Okay, so he was in Jackson 5 ten years earlier, and his album Off the Wall was a big seller. But do you honestly think he would of gained more of a wide appeal? Probably not.

And I agree with Bootsy about MTV sometimes taking a chance on "original" artists that aren't getting radio play. And that hip-hop wouldn't be as nearly as popular without MTV exposure.

But one thing that I believe is one of MTV's major flaws in the last couple of years is the separation of different music types during a program. TRL is for pop music, Direct Effect is for hip-hop, and Rock has...wait, nothing. MTV needs to start playing different kinds of music TOGETHER like thay used to. Exposing fans of a certain type of music to other kinds of music. That way, people can be more tolerable of other music, and even take a liking to it. However...

I can honestly agree with you about MTV's lack of playing rock videos. Okay, we do see the occasional Linkin Park video, or Blink 182. But honestly, is that the kind of rock we were used to seeing and hearing on MTV. Oh no.

Anyway, I commend MTV for it's recent upstart of MTV2 ( even though I don't have it), the 24 hours of music was refreshing. Hopefully some of you here got to see some MUSIC VIDEOS ON MTV for a change. 24 hours of music videos...what a concept. Maybe MTV should look back to the past for some old successful formulas.

Cokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 01:36 AM   #4
Ian

If you want 24 hour Rock video's, I recommend MTV X!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 01:51 AM   #5
Bootsy Whoosh
Storms abrewin'...

I have never heard of MTV X. Did you mean MTV 2 or does MTV have yet another channel? (not like it matters since I'm sure my cable provider doesn't have it anyway...
Bootsy Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 02:59 AM   #6
lesliem14
Forum Regular

I watched MTV in 7th and 8th grade, which would be about 92-94. Since then I have become a devoted VH-1 watcher though!! For any that are interested the Lexington paper did a nice article on MTV's anniversary in the paper this morning. I have to question the placement of the article right on the front page, but it was a good article (the preview section would be more appropriate). Here's the link, sorry I don't know how to underline it and everything. http://www.kentuckyconnect.com/heral...tv-mainbar.htm

One note-The article ends on the paragraph, "In the end we're glad we didn't marry it." or something like that. They messed up a bit putting it online.
lesliem14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

MTV mattered in the 80's and 90's up to about 95-96... but they don't show enough music nowadays to even count.

Like the Beck song said "MTV makes me wanna smoke crack"
Dean Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 07:06 PM   #8
Rickenbacker
Forum Regular

Thumbs down

What MTV Has Done
The Pros:

-Made the music world community much smaller. Since the advent of MTV, a small town kid in Nebraska or Hokkiado Japan could get exposed to someone like say, RUN-DMC back in the 80s or Ja Rule today. Just from flicking on the tv set. This kind of mass exposure to varying artists simply was not this easy before MTV.

-Helped many great bands & artists over the years accelerate their careers w/ high exposure.

The Cons:

-The strong potential of taking away the viewer's imagination behind a song by watching some director's vision of it.

-Has gone from music all day, to "Sorority Life" w/ some videos thrown in.

-The abilty to sell the masses utter crap & have them believe it's "great work". eg: New Kids On The Block, NSYNC et al.

-Emphasis on appearance over quality. The music is actually a distant 2nd when it comes to MTV.

-Desensitizing to violence. You'd be surprised how many pre-teens out there casually talk about what they'd seen on MTV. And this isn't even counting the sexual material. For a while there, we had a wave of 9 year olds who wanted to dress like good ol' Britney. Yeah- mom or dad can "just turn it off", but let's be honest- most of the time that ain't happening. You show me a young kid who *hasn't* seen MTV & I'll show you a kid who lives in a cave.

I'm afraid the cons have it. Happy B-Day MTV...now either get back to your roots or get out....

As for MTV, radio etc playing a part in which bands get exposed, that's true too. But it's the big, fat media giants in the background who're pulling the strings. ClearChannel, Cumulus et al.
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:01 AM   #9
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester
MTV mattered in the 80's and 90's up to about 95-96... but they don't show enough music nowadays to even count.

Like the Beck song said "MTV makes me wanna smoke crack"
Not to make excuses, but I think that part of MTV's rationale or logic in not air videos anymore is that they now have other networks that do, like MTV Jams. In essence, they're no longer trying to be the source for video watching. Consumers watch videos on YouTube or Vevo, other online services, Revolt TV or FM. In a nutshell, they don't have to air videos since there are many other outlets for music video viewing unlike the '90s.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
mets82

Thats true but you mean to tell me that MTV can't spare an hour or two or maybe 3 to show videos?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Thats true but you mean to tell me that MTV can't spare an hour or two or maybe 3 to show videos?
I thought that they still play videos in the wee hours of the morning sometimes. I know that it wasn't too long ago that they still did that.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
mets82

I know they played some videos in the morning.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:47 AM   #13
LaBestia
Crazy For Dax Shepard

The reason why MTV no longer plays music videos is because MTV is going in a new direction and focusing on other shows. I remember when MTV had great music videos and by watching the music videos you could learn about the newest album releases that were released every Tuesday MTV really had a successful image for music fans. If you recall MTV had music video shows for almost every genre like Yo MTV Raps which featured the best rap music videos and Club MTV which was a music video show hosted by Downtown Julie Brown but I think starting with the debut of MTV's The Real World in the 90's you could tell that MTV was indeed drifting away from music videos and started to focus on reality shows and with shows like My Super Sweet 16 and Jersey Shore you could tell that MTV was aiming to a mature adult audience and MTV knew that with an audience like this MTV would be still be successful. But MTV should go back to it's music video roots and air new shows that feature the hottest music videos of the day and perhaps have a MTV shopping channel someday where you can listen to a music video of an band or artist then after the video aired you could have a chance to buy the MP3 of the song that was played. But who can forget when MTV introduced us to hosts like Idalis Leon who was originally a singer in the band Seduction and Tabitha Soren and comedian Bill Bellamy who got their starts on MTV. If MTV brings back music videos someday soon they should have nice hosts and feature facts about every single music artist in history and that would be a huge winner for MTV to bring music videos back to their channel
Bestie