Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #91
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Steve_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASTEXAN!! View Post
I wish I had gone back and read from the beginning of this thread before today. There is so much info on these boards for these cases.

I never realized that Dale Eaton's brother is the one who called in the tip to LEA to report that his brother was camping at the precise area that Amy was last seen running. I've heard on podcasts that there were bad storms that afternoon. the last person reported to see Amy while she was running actually commented that she was crazy for running out there in those elements and when they turned back on their route later they were looking to make sure she was ok, but never saw her again. the weather could have been a cover for eaton to approach her and offer her assistance. not that he needed a cover, but I imagine that she could have run away from him otherwise had he tried to attack her while running.

for me it is very interesting if Law Enforcement was tipped off about Eaton before he was arrested? Is that correct or was the tip given to law enforcement after he was arrested?
I don't think he was a suspect until much later. I'm open to reconsideration. There's more information here in an article named Junkyard Dale:


Scott: There’s question too about the state’s appetite for the death penalty at all. Every year, a bill is introduced in the Wyoming State Legislature that would repeal the death penalty entirely for the state of Wyoming. Every year so far, it has failed to pass, most recently just a few weeks ago in February 2018. Since that higher court ruling overturning Eaton’s death sentence in 2014, state officials have chosen to pursue his execution for a second time. In 2016, a federal judge in Cheyenne ruled the state of Wyoming can continue its pursuit of the death penalty for Dale Wayne Eaton, for a second time. It’s not clear from a legal standpoint if they’ll be successful in this effort. There is virtually no chance of Dale Wayne Eaton ever being released from prison. So why would prosecutors so aggressively pursue a death sentence for a second time, against the only inmate on Wyoming’s death row?

There’s presumably only one practical reason for this. They believe that Eaton may be responsible for other murders. As does just about everybody else. Prosecutors are probably hoping that someday they can use the thread of execution as leverage in extracting a confession from Eaton revealing other victims he may be responsible for. Possibly the 4 other unsolved cases from central Wyoming in the early 80s, or possibly the 1997 disappearance Amy Wroe Bechtel. There were thousands of tips called into the Fremont County Sheriff’s office in the 12 months after Amy disappeared. One of those phone calls was from Richard Eaton, the brother of Dale Wayne Eaton, conveying his suspicions that his brother might have been involved.
Belinda Grantham was last seen at the Natrona County Fair in Casper. Like Dale Wayne Eaton’s confirmed victim, Lisa Marie Kimmell, her body was found in the North Platte River. And as with Kimmell, her body was found near a bridge. The body of Naomi Kidder was also found in Natrona County 3 months after hitchhiking from Rawlins. The following February, Janelle Johnson left Riverton for a modeling interview in Denver. On her way home, and low on money, Janelle hitchhiked to a truck stop near Rawlins, where she was last seen. Her body was found a few weeks later in Shoshone, Wyoming.


The town of Shoshone is not actually in the Shoshone National Forest, but the shortest route to Shoshone from Rawlins is via the Loop Road where Amy Wroe Bechtel disappeared. In fact, while we’re thinking about loops, State Highways 26, 287, and 30, along with Interstate 80, form a loop of their own across the central part of the state. Towns along that big loop include Casper, Shoshoni, Riverton, Lander, and Rawlins – And also the unincorporated town of Moneta, Wyoming where Eaton’s uncle’s property was, where Lisa Marie Kimmell was tortured, and eventually where her car was found buried. Moneta is between Casper and Shoshone on Highway 26.
For a few years in the early 80s, that larger loop in central Wyoming was practically a circle of death for young women between the ages of 18 and 24 traveling those desolate highways alone. It’s where Dale Wayne Eaton lived, and it’s when he lived there. According to Radford University in Virginia, which compiled much of the information on Eaton used in this episode, the peak decades of serial killing in the United States were the 1980s and 1990s. I can’t remember the context of when I first heard that a serial killer was a theory in the disappearance of Amy Wroe Bechtel, but I do remember my reaction, which was basically one of incredulity: “Oh, come on. A serial killer. Really?” But as I glanced into the rabbit hole, I began to come around a little. And the further down a rabbit hole you go, the more interesting things tend to get. 4 young women were abducted and murdered inside or around the Wind River Basin, 5 if you count Amy. Zoom out to a larger area, and we find at least 9 cold cases, which have been attributed to a so called Great Basin Killer. Depending on how you categorize the victims and how far you extend the timeline, the total might be as high as 20 victims. The women were shot, strangled, stabbed, many were stripped nude and aggressively sexually assaulted. The victims went missing in Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, and Idaho. While it’s worth noting that multiple killers are probably responsible for most of those crimes, this is also worth noting. Dayle Wayne Eaton spent at least a year of his life in each of those 4 states.
Lisa Marie Kimmell’s mother wrote a book in 2005. In it, she wrote “The Utah Criminal Tracking Analysis Project suggested that the Great Basin murders stopped around 1997.” That’s about the time Dale Eaton went to prison. Despite his arrest in 1998, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office didn’t begin to take seriously Dale Wayne Eaton as a suspect in Amy’s disappearance until 13 years later when a new lead investigator took over the case. Other members of Eaton’s family are convinced he’s involved in Amy’s disappearance as well. They say they’ve heard Eaton describe the camping areas around where Amy disappeared in detail. As with the only other official suspect in Amy’s disappearance, Steve Bechtel, there is no physical evidence linking Eaton to the disappearance of Amy, just circumstantial possibility. Steve Bechtel himself, along with his father, reportedly went to the Natrona County Sheriff’s Department in 2002 asking about Eaton and whether that agency had collected any information related to Amy’s case. Dale Wayne Eaton surely killed 2 people: Lisa Marie Kimmell and his cell mate. But he is has confessed to neither crime, not even with dead-to-rights evidence against him in both cases. We don’t know what led Eaton to turn himself into authorities in 1986 when they were unaware of any crimes he might have committed, but we do know that he didn’t confess to any murders then and he’s never confessed to the murder, we now know he committed 2 years later. Theoretically, if Eaton were to finally confess to Lisa Marie Kimmell’s murder today, it would likely have no legal bearing on future court proceedings. But it’s probably safe to say that a confession in any of those open cases in question from Dale Wayne Eaton is not likely unless maybe if Wyoming prosecutors are somehow successful at again hanging the death penalty over his head. And even then, who knows at that point if Eaton wouldn’t just prefer death.
Today’s episode opened with a question, and now that you know what you know, we’ll close today’s episode by revisiting the same questions: As Dale Wayne Eaton abducted and murdered Lisa Marie Kimmell, is it possible that that crime was the only crime of such a horrendous nature he ever committed? And if not, how many more were there?
Steve_uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #92
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,405
Default

That "Junkyard Dale" info is from a podcast about AB called "Frozen Truth." (It's a decent podcast -- season 1 was AB and season 3 was Jodi Huisentruit and I enjoyed them both.) There is a good deal of info on DWE and his possible (likely?) involvement in this case.

I don't think her husband Steve did it -- however, his flippant call to 911 bothers me. I don't know how someone can joke about any missing person like that, especially your wife.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #93
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
That "Junkyard Dale" info is from a podcast about AB called "Frozen Truth." (It's a decent podcast -- season 1 was AB and season 3 was Jodi Huisentruit and I enjoyed them both.) There is a good deal of info on DWE and his possible (likely?) involvement in this case.

I don't think her husband Steve did it -- however, his flippant call to 911 bothers me. I don't know how someone can joke about any missing person like that, especially your wife.
The 911 call was strange and wasn’t really covered in UM.

I actually think the 911 call shows that steve at that point was concerned, but probably did not expect that Amy had been abducted and murdered. If he had indeed murdered her or even suspected that she was attacked by someone else, I don’t think he would have had that mindset. If he suspected her to have been kidnapped he probably would have been more frantic. If he killed her he might have faked his emotion on the call. For me this is classic law enforcement getting tunnel vision after they failed to take action in the first place. When steve fought back they didn’t like it and they used her family against him in my opinion. They should not have shown the journals to the family members. That should have been kept confidential. No wonder steve stopped cooperating with them.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #94
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Steve_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 4,861
Default

I find this very difficult to judge, as individuals have the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. One thing preying on my mind is the statement of the shopkeeper Greg Wagner, who said Amy appeared hurried and looked at the watch several times, as if she were worried she would miss an appointment. This could well have been a rendezvous with her husband at the forest, especially as a truck fitting Steve's description was seen in the area by an eyewitness.


Steve would have had to kill her after his return from the climbing trip with his friend around 4:30pm, maybe picking her up at some prearranged point, making some excuse that they would both ride the course together then stopping the vehicle, taking her by surprise with ligature strangulation then stuffing her body in some crevasse or recess which has hitherto remained undetected.


The question is: why? One clip I have seen of Amy she looks as if she may have been afflicted with some eating disorder, her contemporaries claim that her running times were nothing special, and maybe Steve considered that this was not the partner he wanted to run his fitness centre. On the other hand he seems such a laid-back guy I wonder if he had the nous to plan it all. Why not just make a clean break and divorce?


The lack of a body maybe tends to implicate Steve more, as Dale Eaton would probably have raped her and discarded her carcass in the river or immediate surroundings, though again this is pure speculation on my part.
Steve_uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #95
Mike82
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2017
Posts: 168
Default

I have recently re-watched this segment and have to wonder how anyone could think it was anyone other than Dale Wayne Eaton: it is walks, quacks and looks like a duck well you know the rest. I find it impossible to believe Lisa Marie Kimmel was his first and only murder. There is a very small chance she got injured or fell and died of exposure but I have to think she would have been found quickly. All accounts were that she was active, intelligent and in good physical shape and wasn't running in the middle of the forest.

Steve was "uncooperative" with police? After the dirty underhanded crap they pulled (that wasn't mentioned on UM) any sane person would have been too. I think he was far more cooperative than I would have been in that situation. Looking at some of the laughable "evidence" makes me think about what happen if God forbid either my wife or I went missing. Without getting into private details if the police thoroughly searched our room they might think one of us was a monster and I would have to believe the majority of couples would been the same way.
Mike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #96
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
I have recently re-watched this segment and have to wonder how anyone could think it was anyone other than Dale Wayne Eaton: it is walks, quacks and looks like a duck well you know the rest. I find it impossible to believe Lisa Marie Kimmel was his first and only murder. There is a very small chance she got injured or fell and died of exposure but I have to think she would have been found quickly. All accounts were that she was active, intelligent and in good physical shape and wasn't running in the middle of the forest.

Steve was "uncooperative" with police? After the dirty underhanded crap they pulled (that wasn't mentioned on UM) any sane person would have been too. I think he was far more cooperative than I would have been in that situation. Looking at some of the laughable "evidence" makes me think about what happen if God forbid either my wife or I went missing. Without getting into private details if the police thoroughly searched our room they might think one of us was a monster and I would have to believe the majority of couples would been the same way.
I love your post. who are we to believe? Steve's rock climbing partner, his phone call at 430pm, and neighbors that provided his alibi, or DWE's brother who put him at the very place that Amy went on her run? Or do we believe the detective (who says the husband must have done it but I don't have evidence) granted this same detective also stole cocaine from the department.


for me this is a case where law enforcement basically got a free parking. they botched the case and then did everything wrong after the fact by taking evidence and sharing it with the family and the rest of the world. they lost steve's cooperation and probably ignorned every lead and overlooked key evidence that would have solved this case.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #97
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Steve_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
I have recently re-watched this segment and have to wonder how anyone could think it was anyone other than Dale Wayne Eaton: it is walks, quacks and looks like a duck well you know the rest. I find it impossible to believe Lisa Marie Kimmel was his first and only murder. There is a very small chance she got injured or fell and died of exposure but I have to think she would have been found quickly. All accounts were that she was active, intelligent and in good physical shape and wasn't running in the middle of the forest.

Steve was "uncooperative" with police? After the dirty underhanded crap they pulled (that wasn't mentioned on UM) any sane person would have been too. I think he was far more cooperative than I would have been in that situation. Looking at some of the laughable "evidence" makes me think about what happen if God forbid either my wife or I went missing. Without getting into private details if the police thoroughly searched our room they might think one of us was a monster and I would have to believe the majority of couples would been the same way.
Well some of us hold out the possibility that Steve Bechtel killed his wife. There was a gap in the alibi, a possible eyewitness sighting, a house to inherit.The way he treated her as his possession makes me think he was a control freak who could easily have disposed of what he regarded as his property. As you say she was a fit young woman who could have run away from her assailant. If you put pen to paper and detail harming your wife then you're not normal-in fact you should consult a psychiatrist.
Steve_uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #98
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk View Post
I find this very difficult to judge, as individuals have the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. One thing preying on my mind is the statement of the shopkeeper Greg Wagner, who said Amy appeared hurried and looked at the watch several times, as if she were worried she would miss an appointment. This could well have been a rendezvous with her husband at the forest, especially as a truck fitting Steve's description was seen in the area by an eyewitness.


Steve would have had to kill her after his return from the climbing trip with his friend around 4:30pm, maybe picking her up at some prearranged point, making some excuse that they would both ride the course together then stopping the vehicle, taking her by surprise with ligature strangulation then stuffing her body in some crevasse or recess which has hitherto remained undetected.


The question is: why? One clip I have seen of Amy she looks as if she may have been afflicted with some eating disorder, her contemporaries claim that her running times were nothing special, and maybe Steve considered that this was not the partner he wanted to run his fitness centre. On the other hand he seems such a laid-back guy I wonder if he had the nous to plan it all. Why not just make a clean break and divorce?


The lack of a body maybe tends to implicate Steve more, as Dale Eaton would probably have raped her and discarded her carcass in the river or immediate surroundings, though again this is pure speculation on my part.
I agree this is hard to judge. what I find interesting is that there is a lot more to this case than what was shown on UM. some of that is because so much time has passed, but good lord there is so much speculation. from the native American reservation that cooperated with a search because someone confessed to running her over, to steve's journals, his strange 911 call, and then DWE's brother claiming that DWE camped in the very area that she was running.

there are a lot of conflicting reports on the people that last saw amy. the last verified sighting was the camera shop that claimed she was in good spirits. then you have people that give podcast's saying she was stressed at the camera shop. I could be confusing this sigthing with a different one. but what I will say is that Amy had a lot of things that she did that day which would give her reason to be stressed and looking at her watch to ensure that she had time to get her run in. for runners, most of them use that as a stress relief, like meditation, regardless if you are olympic level or not.

but you bring up a good point about steve being possessive. if he was abusive and possessive of her that is a game changer for me. but it's hard to know what is true and what is not. what strikes me is that the neighbors featured that knew amy did not comment on steve being abusive and possessive with her.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #99
Mike82
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2017
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk View Post
The way he treated her as his possession makes me think he was a control freak who could easily have disposed of what he regarded as his property. As you say she was a fit young woman who could have run away from her assailant. If you put pen to paper and detail harming your wife then you're not normal-in fact you should consult a psychiatrist.
I would certainly agree he might have had some issues but that does not in any way make him a murderer. This is a family friendly place so I will just say its likely they were into doing kinky acts and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I have to think that DWE, assuming he was the perp attacked her from behind: she might have been in great shape but she wasn't trained in self defense to my knowledge and could have been overpowered. Given the secluded area sadly it's likely nobody heard her screaming.

On a side note it's not always about being muscular or in shape: I remember one short young woman who worked as a undercover security guard in a retail store at also worked at. Despite the fact I was about 1 1/2' taller and at least 100 lbs heavier, she would probably have beaten me in a fight. DWE was a 'skilled' predator and it was proven he already did it to Lisa Marie Kimmel.

I find it almost insulting how much they pried into Steve's personal life. I cringe to think what people would think it if accidently bruised my wife on the account of being much bigger, stronger, taller and being very clumsy.
Mike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #100
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
I would certainly agree he might have had some issues but that does not in any way make him a murderer. This is a family friendly place so I will just say its likely they were into doing kinky acts and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I have to think that DWE, assuming he was the perp attacked her from behind: she might have been in great shape but she wasn't trained in self defense to my knowledge and could have been overpowered. Given the secluded area sadly it's likely nobody heard her screaming.

On a side note it's not always about being muscular or in shape: I remember one short young woman who worked as a undercover security guard in a retail store at also worked at. Despite the fact I was about 1 1/2' taller and at least 100 lbs heavier, she would probably have beaten me in a fight. DWE was a 'skilled' predator and it was proven he already did it to Lisa Marie Kimmel.

I find it almost insulting how much they pried into Steve's personal life. I cringe to think what people would think it if accidently bruised my wife on the account of being much bigger, stronger, taller and being very clumsy.
Steve got railroaded. The evidence that links him is subjective and trivial at best, but authorities went after him 100% to try to pry a confession and poke holes in his story. when that failed the sheriff said he's the husband and he refused a lie detector, so he must have done it. great detective work on his part! sort of reminds me of the orange socks segment in what happened with the husband. Unfortunately since authorities burned their bridge with steve it hurt the case by leaving everything unresolved and it drove a wedge between steve and Amy's family.

DWE was opportunistic. If he were in the location of her run, he would have found a way to abduct her. Bad weather is one thing that could have worked to his favor. it rained heavily in that area on that day. he could have lured her somehow, either to offer her help or to ask her for help. Or as you say he could have surprised and over-powered her.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #101
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk View Post
Well some of us hold out the possibility that Steve Bechtel killed his wife. There was a gap in the alibi, a possible eyewitness sighting, a house to inherit.The way he treated her as his possession makes me think he was a control freak who could easily have disposed of what he regarded as his property. As you say she was a fit young woman who could have run away from her assailant. If you put pen to paper and detail harming your wife then you're not normal-in fact you should consult a psychiatrist.
his alibi was established by 3 different people. all it would have taken is one of the three to discredit his time and whereabouts for that day....yet they all substantiated his claims. yet there was a gap between the two alibi's that could not be substantiated by anyone. this enabled law enforcement to become fixated on him to the point that they were and still are stuck on trying to clear this time gap for eternity(with the added notion of a refused lie detector test). this logic lacks common sense for me.

they spent a lot of effort trying to substantiate steve's details and a possible gap of time, but yet they lost focus on the details that they did have. Take for example Amy's timeline that was substantiated by multiple people and her own hand written checklist. She could not have started on her run before 3-330pm. Steve made a phone call from his house at 430 pm. If you factor that he would have had to leave the area of the mountains by 345-350pm to get home to place a phone call, that means he had a very tight window to abduct Amy. I won't say that it is impossible, but highly unlikely if you look at the substantiated facts. Law enforcement should have quickly moved on from Steve and looked at other possibilities. They had an incredible lead handed to them from DWE's brother and they chose not to act on it? yet still years afterward they were fixated on steve's lack of alibi and a dodgy (still unnamed) eye witness account that placed him at the location? Again I don't blame steve for severing ties with the people that made him the villain in this case. If he did not murder his wife he is also a victim in my eyes and he was treated poorly by a lot of people.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #102
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
One interesting thing I noticed about this segment is how Steve Bechtel refers to Sheriff David King as "Dave" during his interviews. Unlike many other UM cases, the suspect and the lead investigator probably knew each other personally before the disappearance took place, which would make sense, given that Lander, Wyoming is a fairly small town.

While I don't think Steve had anything to do with it, I wonder if he and the Sheriff might have a personal history together which could skew the Sheriff's opinion about him.
I know I'm bumping old posts here, but this comment stands out a lot for me. I think the small town dynamics played a huge role here. As Dave pointed out in multiple media outlets, Lander knew how to do a search and rescue, but it appears they did not know how to solve a violent crime mystery in 1997. at the time of the disappearance a crime of this nature was unthinkable. it wasn't on anyone's mind (steve's or dave's) because Dave let the Todd and Amy Skinner drive Amy's vehicle home during the search period. Take that for what it is, but for me it was the FBI that came into the small town and took control of the case (perhaps pushing Dave out of the way) and accusing Steve of the disappearance as to maybe obtain a confession out of steve in a desperate attempt to capitalise on the statistical percentages that say he was guilty. when that effort failed it all went downhill. Dave also failed with the case and perpetuated a divide between Steve and Amy's family for many years before he was fired.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #103
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk View Post
That's a good post wonderwall. The programme you mention is not yet available on the other site to my knowledge. However there are other videos of Steve on there and if you look at his body language he appears shifty and looks to my mind as if he is concealing something whatever the subject he is discussing.
for me this is problematic and exactly why his lawyer was 100% correct to advise him against taking a polygraph. if my wife had been abducted and I were being wrongfully accused of her abduction I would have been very emotional and speaking about the topic would be very difficult. In fact I would probably tell anyone who brings it up to get lost. now if you put me in front of a camera or journalist that will perpetuate my words and body language to millions of people, I am probably going to have a hard time staying calm and composed in spite of trying to do so. I know it happens all of the time, but it is not fair to judge others by their emotions or body language in how they react to stressful situations.

It's important to note that the authorities proposed the notion that Steve abducted Amy, directly to Steve in an interrogative manner. this is a game changer in any investigation and there are laws in place to defend people who are wrongfully accused. steve used those laws and used them properly. Law enforcement should have reorganised their case with efforts to get Steve to cooperate with them. instead they further exploited his privacy, tarnished his reputation by releasing some of the contents of the journals, and preyed on differences that existed between Steve and the Wroe family.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #104
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer View Post
I think she was probably abducted. If it was a hit-and-run, I think she was taken far from the area, then, to hide the evidence. But I really have to wonder if Eaton had a hand in this. If he was allegedly in the area and knew the area, a predator like him probably would have acted seeing a young, attractive woman all by herself in a rural area. I really doubt Lisa Marie was his first and only victim. Perhaps after killing Lisa he decided to hide the body of his other victims to throw off the trail and get rid of any evidence (with DNA becoming more prominent than in the 80s). And of course, another person could have done this.

I don't buy that she got lost or attacked by a mountain lion. She knew the area, they had her list of where she was mapping the 10k route and landmarks she had gone to and was planning for, etc. The search and rescue knew the extensive area like a book. I think at least one shred of evidence would have been found had she been attacked by a mountain lion or creature, like a piece of her clothing.


I was very surprised that Steve and the neighbors were only mentioned but not interviewed. Maybe they declined, maybe they were busy, wanted to move on, who knows. (Not an indicator of guilt at all, in my opinion, just mentioning). We did see clips of interviews with them. I am in the camp that Steve didn't do it. I think he really was out mountain climbing that day.

I tend to agree with the bruises from sexual activity argument. If Amy really smiled and said "Steve gets a little rough sometimes" then I doubt she would have smiled and been so nonchalant if it was abuse. The Disappeared segment mentions that Steve stands behind her and puts his hands on her shoulders right after that, which is kind of portrayed threateningly, but it could have been nurturingly for all we know. The notebook entries sound weird, but hey, as a writer myself, I wouldn't want anyone to psychoanalyze my work. Some of the subjects happen to be dark. I really would love to read the works and see why Amy's mother was so disturbed (she mentioned it portrayed his feelings about women including Amy), because I can't really form a solid opinion on this piece of "evidence" with just general knowledge of what was in those writings.

One thing that did bother me was how Amy was supposed to be a dominant personality and was totally "compliant" in her relationship with Steve. Was it just her trying to please him or was he really possessive? One red flag was her looking at him to see what she should order in a restaurant. My second cousin's stepfather was abusive and would control her to the extent of what she could order in a restaurant (I know that's child v. adult, but I still think it's a bit disturbing. Particularly between two adults). However, at the moment, I think Steve is probably not guilty. I'd have to see more evidence to change my mind. All of the above might just be taken out of context.
I agree with all of this. Just a couple months after Amy's disappearance, DWE's reign of terror was put to an end when he was restrained by a married couple who were protecting their baby after DWE abducted the three of them on the side of the road. In hindsight we all know DWE should have been considered for other murders in Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah. But in those days communication in Law Enforcement were difficult. One of my favorite segments on UM is the Ohio Truck Driver segment because it shows in those days law enforcement did not always communicate well with other agencies across county, state, and national lines. Great journalism on the part of the writer in Columbus who is one of my all time favorite from the show.

As far as Steve and the Neighbors not being interviewed with Disappeared, I don't know if it has been said, but I think in 2006 Todd Skinner was killed when he fell from a mountain in Yellowstone. This is a very emotional story at the end of the day and I cannot blame Steve and others for not wanting to stay in front of the camera only to be ripped apart by many.

I too was troubled by some of the things that were shown on the disappeared segment. To be fair, I think the 911 call and some of the accounts given against Steve were misleading. One has to consider that the show has to spice up the theory that Steve is still a suspect in order to give it suspense. After everything that happened I understand the reservations expressed by the Wroe family. There are two sides to this story and in the disappeared episode Steve does not present his side so it is not a balanced episode for this case. If you read the runners world article, Steve was included in that story.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #105
DALLASTEXAN!!
Member
Senior Member
 
DALLASTEXAN!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2007
Location: Suffolk, England
Posts: 2,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk View Post
It's very mysterious when I recall this case again and upon further scrutiny one wonders why Amy left her keys in the car,though one is unsure as to whether they were the ignition keys to the vehicle or her own house keys,yet the wallet had vanished. The fictional stories written by Steve are disturbing,as is his attitude towards law enforcement in not wishing to become more involved: if I had lost someone I loved I would be pestering the authorities daily until some new lead emerged.http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bechtel_amy.html
I know this is an old post, but the keys and wallet are serious clues that have not really been discussed much. As far as Steve pestering law enforcement everyday, I understand the point. but, his pestering would have been difficult. it would have gone something like this: Steve: "hey Dave what have you found with the case?" Dave: "nothing, are you ready to take a polygraph?" Steve: "no" Dave: "if you change your mind let me know." Steve: "bye Dave"

as far as the keys and the wallet. this is another potential clue not discussed much on here and I'm glad you brought it up. Runners do not typically run with keys or wallets. It would slow you down and annoy the S##! out of you. Runners enjoy their time and do not like distractions. she would have either wanted to keep the wallet and keys in her car or she would have wanted her wallet secured to her person in a way that it did not detract from her run. With that being said I am curious as to what style of wallet she had. If it were a purse wallet, surely she would not have wanted to carry it. Which means it could be a clue that the abductor demanded her wallet. if she had a field runners wallet around her neck or tied to her person, then at the very least the wallet could possibly exist somewhere and be used substantiate the abduction or identify her. a lot of competitive runners like to train without any extra weight added on their person. I would be interested to know what Amy's habits were in that regard.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.